Bun B vs. Byron Crawford

Comments

• i'm not siding with byron on this one... but since when is Bun B a "hiphop legend"???

Since this...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    i'm not siding with byron on this one... but since when is Bun B a "hiphop legend"???

Since his verse on Murder.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    shit came out in 96... hardly a "legendary" time for hiphop.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i'm not siding with byron on this one... but since when is Bun B a "hiphop legend"???

Since his verse on Murder.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I rarely advocate an asswhipping for stating a simple opinion, but this dude NEEDS an assbeating in the worstest of ways.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

In 2006, southern rap is the style of rap music that the tall Israelis who run the music industry have decided to promote, to the detriment of all other styles of rap music. Therefore, not unlike the Mexicans who think they???re retaking America???s Southwest, fans of southern rap no longer have any legitimate claim that they???re being discriminated against.

hasn't garnered the soulstrut backlash yet.

i'm telling you, dude is like Bill O'Rielly; Come with a few facts, and then make every generalization you can based on those few facts.

yawn...

Are you talking about the Mos Def rap reference about tall Israelis or the thing about Mexicans? His shit reminds me of the hip-hop version of some extreme, right winger blog. I really doubt this cat even likes hip-hop.

Easily ignorable.

i'm not saying he's bad...

i just felt that "legendary" was an overstatement.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

dude...your showing your ass on this one. bun-b is considered a legend by most.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

i just feel that "legendary" is an accurate statement.

Crossings is just trying to upstage Idiotproof. Nice try though.

In 2006, southern rap is the style of rap music that the tall Israelis who run the music industry have decided to promote, to the detriment of all other styles of rap music. Therefore, not unlike the Mexicans who think they???re retaking America???s Southwest, fans of southern rap no longer have any legitimate claim that they???re being discriminated against.

I would imagine that the "tall Israelis" comment would ruffle some feathers here. That's certainly not how I, someone who has been accused of being an anti-Semite on this board, would portray the music industry.

But the Mexicans comment is completely off the charts. Yeah, illegals are allowed to cross the boarder and work 80-hour dangerous work weeks for less than minimum wage without workers comp insurance as their kids go to schools that don't even offer bilingual education...which of course means that they're now the masters of this domain known as America.

I don't know. Maybe this dude is worse than Bill O'Reilly.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    This blogger dude is out of line in some respects, but these comments are spot on:

The knock against backpackers seems to be that they???re boring and negative. They spend too much time telling you what they???re against rather than actually telling you what they???re for.

Southern rap fans, meanwhile, make it a point to draw no distinction between the best and the worst their particular segment of the hip-hop community has to offer. They may not actually pretend to like ???Laffy Taffy,??? but they???ll be quick to call your ass a bigot if you suggest that it???s arguably history???s greatest abortion in musical form.

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    "They may not actually pretend to like ???Laffy Taffy,??? but they???ll be quick to call your ass a bigot if you suggest that it???s arguably history???s greatest abortion in musical form." It's not the greatest abortion but I think it's up there. I read Byron sometimes because it makes me laugh (sometimes). Of course he tries to stir up shit and get traffic and it looks like it's working. He didn't really even say anything about Bun-b. It may not be completely factual but I don't see why people are making a deal out of this. Nothing new with Byron.

This blogger dude is out of line in some respects, but these comments are spot on:

The knock against backpackers seems to be that they???re boring and negative. They spend too much time telling you what they???re against rather than actually telling you what they???re for.

Southern rap fans, meanwhile, make it a point to draw no distinction between the best and the worst their particular segment of the hip-hop community has to offer. They may not actually pretend to like ???Laffy Taffy,??? but they???ll be quick to call your ass a bigot if you suggest that it???s arguably history???s greatest abortion in musical form.

oh god, another one.

Those statements are not only misleading but absolutely false.

Furthermore, there is a lot of bigotry against southern rap and southerners in general. So when calling a bigot (like mr. crawford) a bigot, we're somehow off point?!

Please tell me you disagree, so I can flip this into a 20 pager right off the bat.

• In 2006, southern rap is the style of rap music that the tall Israelis who run the music industry have decided to promote, to the detriment of all other styles of rap music. Therefore, not unlike the Mexicans who think they???re retaking America???s Southwest, fans of southern rap no longer have any legitimate claim that they???re being discriminated against.

I would imagine that the "tall Israelis" comment would ruffle some feathers here. That's certainly not how I, someone who has been accused of being an anti-Semite on this board, would portray the music industry.

I know Lyor Cohen has some height, but is Rick Rubin really all that tall? Actually RR is a NYC boy ain't he, what other Israelis could he be referring to?

I don't know. Maybe this dude is worse than David Icke.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    you just know as soon as he saw bun b's reply (this all assuming he didnt write the damn thing himself), he locked his door and jerked off all over his keyboard for like 2 hours. this is the kind of attention this asshat craves.

Usually it isn't that someone dislikes a D4L or a Mike Jones in of itself that gets Southern heads heated. It's usually the framing of such comments within a blanket admonishment of the entire South as slow, stupid, insubordinate, etc. that does it.

Plus the assumption that Southerners like everything Southern without discrimination between songs and artists is a bitch and a half of an inaccurate insult.

Listen
    Old white men is runnin this rap shit
    Corporate force's runnin this rap shit
    Some tall israeli is runnin this rap shit
    We poke out our asses for a chance to cash in
    Cocaine, is runnin this rap shit
    'Dro, 'yac and E-pills is runnin this rap shit

Listen

If Mos Def jumped off of a bridge...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Listen

If Mos Def jumped off of a bridge...maybe chris tucker would get an acting gig[/b]

ikeed.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Side note: I read on another board that Byron and O-Dub got into it a while back--any details?

At one point Oliver had a link to Byron's blog on his own blog. Oliver eventually lost interest in Byron's blog and removed the link. Byron flipped and, among other things, posted a fake e-mail from Oliver, in which Oliver supposedly called him a "n****r".

Very classy dude.

I'm surprised that this argument is taking place in 2006.

Even on SoulStrut, I didn't think there was anybody left that didn't recognize UGK's legend status.

• SoulmanSoulman 66 Posts
    respect the old ass men of rap dammit!

DEFINITELY Phill.

i dont get you at all but okay whatever... i was making refrence to jay z with my old man statement and the graemlin which i thought was pretty good since bun b's only hit was on jay z's record according to this byron dude. but yes RESPECT the old tired rap dudes why not? they paved the way for the young tired rap dudes so its all good!!! whoever dont know ridin dirty is either too young to know shit or just a straight nerd thats how i feel

back to byron... like most known hatters he says some stuff tahts actually pretty correct but then ruins his logic with ABSURD staements. lets run up in xxl offices and break his ribs whos down????? hahahaha im just joking about that

Side note: I read on another board that Byron and O-Dub got into it a while back--any details?

At one point Oliver had a link to Byron's blog on his own blog. Oliver eventually lost interest in Byron's blog and removed the link. Byron flipped and, among other things, posted a fake e-mail from Oliver, in which Oliver supposedly called him a "n****r".

Very classy dude.

so you're saying that this dude does need a proper chokeslam, right?

Even on SoulStrut, I didn't think there was anybody left that didn't recognize UGK's legend status.

sorry if i never felt like he deserved THAT MUCH credit...

but why bother even expressing opinions around a "soulstrut legend"?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Folks don't get it: Byron's an expert at posting the most outrageous things to get people to respond and invariably, people do. His whole steez would be dead if people ignored him but even Bun B couldn't resist (even though, really, he should have). I don't like Byron's approach as a blogger insofar as he's all hate, all the time, but the people who react/respond to him often times end up coming off even crazier as he may seem. For that, I respect his hustle - his site is arguably one of the most popular hip-hop ones out there and it's because even people who hate his guts still read his shit, just to see what he's going to say. Ducks in row.

Why not?

but why bother even expressing opinions around a "soulstrut legend"?

======

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    First off, I'm not a fan of southern rap and even *I* recognize Bun and UGK as legends. In fact, there's probably only a handful of artists from Texas that I like. This dude Byron needs to catch a beatdown in a Houston back alley.

# king fuckery Says:
    April 5th, 2006 at 1:11 pm

you are still an idiot.

and a fag. punk bitch, i bet you 100 bucks you get chin checked for this, talking tough over the internet, to a legend, who has been dropping gems for the longest, you my friend are nothing but a hater. sell yourself.

the revolution is over, and you lost uncle tom.

# Red Zepprin Says:
    April 5th, 2006 at 1:39 pm

Nice Lisa Loeb allusion. In fact, I damn near pissed myself when I saw that.

Now that I think about it, I???d like to piss on Lisa Loeb, too.

Paging..................ah, screw it.

Listen

If Mos Def jumped off of a bridge...

Ask Byron.