Soprano Countdown begins!!!! SPOILER ALERT

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Does Grey Goose really sell for $325 a bottle? I can go down to Costco right now and bag one of those huge suckers for like...$60.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    After six years of watching The Sopranos, it's really starting to dawn on me what a limited actor Robert Iler ("A.J. Soprano") is. Basically, he don't know how to do but ONE thing, and that is to make this really annoyed face like THIS:

Anytime his parents ask too many questions, his mug freezes up into the pose you see above. During the show's early years, when he was still fat, there was a scene from one of the episodes where some older relative (Livia? Uncle Junior?) reaches over to pinch his chubby cheeks and he recoils in horror, making that stoic face you see before you up there.

On this week's episode, there's a scene where Tony bails him out of jail. When they get near the car, Tony is twenty different kinds of pissed off as he grabs his only son by the collar, frustrated at how AJ's life is turning out (and probably by Iler's one-dimensional acting technique?). To AJ's credit, he works up a pretty good crying jag, but his tears cannot match Tony's raw fury. Matter of fact, all he's doing is making his "juvenile delinquent Mt. Rushmore face" again, only this time with water pouring down his cheeks.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I could of done with the brokeback sopranos storyline. Like Johnny cakes would go for that waddling prick. AJ is a wussy. Not one of my favorite episodes. What's up with that big love show? The story line is lame yet I'm somewhat intrigued. Even though I can't sit through an entire episode.

What's up with that big love show? The story line is lame yet I'm somewhat intrigued. Even though I can't sit through an entire episode.

I'm saying... I left the TV on one night and that intro with the one guy dancing with his three wives on ice skates (and getting some good "dips" on Chloe Sevigny) had me intrigued...didn't know whether one lady was supposed to be his wife and the other two were his daughters or what...when I found out he was supposed to be a bigamist, I remember thinking that those were the most sexless-looking women in the history of history...in real life, Sevigny is a li'l hottie, and they just toned down her sex appeal all the way...it was only when I looked the show up on the Net that I realized they were all part of some Mormon sect (?), which probably accounts for the plain-Janeish attire...anyway, I couldn't see myself buying the complete DVD set if and when it comes out, but I'd definitely tune in from time to time, see how these weirdos are doing...

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i

oh yeah, and in real world soprano's news, it seems another cast member is in trouble with the law:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0502061artiebucco1.html?link=eaf

Did you peep the one about "Paulie"? I didn't know this cat was a real gangster.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/sirico/sirico.html

as far as bottle service and grey goose costing that much, the answer is yes. They do charge that much for bottle service at bourgois clubs. IT's completely retarded. They also charge up to $500 for a bottle of Moet & Chandon, which is under $100 a bottle at the store. Look how much they charge for Cristal, it's rediculous.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts

Tim Goodman

A friend forwarded this to me. I've enjoyed reading his write-ups on the whole season. Good recaps. Thought y'all might dig it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Does Grey Goose really sell for $325 a bottle? I can go down to Costco right now and bag one of those huge suckers for like...$60.

disconnected from the club

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts

Tim Goodman

A friend forwarded this to me. I've enjoyed reading his write-ups on the whole season. Good recaps. Thought y'all might dig it.

Had a quick peek. Yeah, looks interesting. I'll check it out some more....thanks!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

disconnected from the club

In terms of mark-up, it's just like buying a bottle of wine at restaurant. Times ten.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Thing is, it actually evens out if there's a few of you and you're all drinking the same liquor - where in most clubs that offer bottle service a single drink can run $12-$14 each.

What's funny in that episode is that the kid that's with AJ bigs up "Wednesday nights at Lotus", which is my boy Bill Spector's party. He was pretty psyched when they mentioned it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    It was an actually quite good[/b] episode. The stuff with Vito is good and the gag with corporations and chain stores messing up the rackets is classic.

I only wish Marguiles had gotten at least half naked! C'mon this is BULLSHIT.

After six years of watching The Sopranos, it's really starting to dawn on me what a limited actor Robert Iler ("A.J. Soprano") is. Basically, he don't know how to do but ONE thing, and that is to make this really annoyed face like THIS:

Anytime his parents ask too many questions, his mug freezes up into the pose you see above. During the show's early years, when he was still fat, there was a scene from one of the episodes where some older relative (Livia? Uncle Junior?) reaches over to pinch his chubby cheeks and he recoils in horror, making that stoic face you see before you up there.

On this week's episode, there's a scene where Tony bails him out of jail. When they get near the car, Tony is twenty different kinds of pissed off as he grabs his only son by the collar, frustrated at how AJ's life is turning out (and probably by Iler's one-dimensional acting technique?). To AJ's credit, he works up a pretty good crying jag, but his tears cannot match Tony's raw fury. Matter of fact, all he's doing is making his "juvenile delinquent Mt. Rushmore face" again, only this time with water pouring down his cheeks.

word. see my post from several weeks ago:

Despite the best efforts of the writers, AJ is having difficulty crawling out of the depths of irrelevance for me. Then again, they must have something BIG in store for him or else they wasted 6 years on his character. Maybe he does something really big and stupid in the last episode?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    penne arrabiatta didn't throw the fight but i agree that it was strange that tony took him so easily. tony was smart about it though, he knew the buff driver had a temper (from the incident before when they were driving) so he went at him like that cuz he knew it would provoke a response. it reminded me of the times when tony used to beat up the big bartender, even though that was to get stress out and this was to assert dominance.

as for vito, his get-up and dancing was hilarious... but i was a little thrown off because i wasn't buying the scene. i was thinking the whole time that there was no way some goombas were gonna make a collection during the peak hours at a gay s&m club. but whatever...

overall, i wasn't into the episode. when i first saw that buscemi was directing, i was hyped because he usually has the most interesting and entertaining eps, but i thought the tone for this entire hour was very strange. maybe its to reflect tony's insecurity and his feelings upon getting out of the hopsital? i'm not saying buscemi is to blame, i actually thought there were some great shots (the first one at the wedding spiralling up with the staircase comes to mind), but i was also disappointed that a lot of the story was abandoned from the previous episode - including the rappers and paulie taking out that dudes kneecap.

anyone think that the guys chris is getting involved with in the credit card scam may be terrorists, and maybe the agent harris will re-enter the action now that he's in homeland defense?

I thought that was a great episode. The scene which ended with Muscles Marinara getting clumped was beautifully directed. Basically, it was all about Tony reasserting himself. He gets to Satriale's and Paulie's sunning himself, Bobby's playing ball, and everyone's generally slacking off because Tony hasn't been around to run things in his usual style. He's looking around the room, and he's remembering that old maxim whereby you go for the biggest, toughest-looking guy in the gang, and if you smack the shit out of him, everyone is going to sit up and take notice. Right away in the next ep, Chrissy is suddenly agreeing with Tony again.

One of my boys has been hooking me up with DVDs of the new season, which probably won't run over here until autumn at least. I've just finished watching ep 8 so I won't be able to check in on this thread until eps 9 & 10 turn up in a fortnight's time. It's shaping up to be a classic season, though. I really can't tell where it's going to go next, there's been so many curveballs already; Tony's shooting, Vito getting outed, AJ trying to whack Uncle June.

penne arrabiatta didn't throw the fight but i agree that it was strange that tony took him so easily. tony was smart about it though, he knew the buff driver had a temper (from the incident before when they were driving) so he went at him like that cuz he knew it would provoke a response. it reminded me of the times when tony used to beat up the big bartender, even though that was to get stress out and this was to assert dominance.

as for vito, his get-up and dancing was hilarious... but i was a little thrown off because i wasn't buying the scene. i was thinking the whole time that there was no way some goombas were gonna make a collection during the peak hours at a gay s&m club. but whatever...

overall, i wasn't into the episode. when i first saw that buscemi was directing, i was hyped because he usually has the most interesting and entertaining eps, but i thought the tone for this entire hour was very strange. maybe its to reflect tony's insecurity and his feelings upon getting out of the hopsital? i'm not saying buscemi is to blame, i actually thought there were some great shots (the first one at the wedding spiralling up with the staircase comes to mind), but i was also disappointed that a lot of the story was abandoned from the previous episode - including the rappers and paulie taking out that dudes kneecap.

anyone think that the guys chris is getting involved with in the credit card scam may be terrorists, and maybe the agent harris will re-enter the action now that he's in homeland defense?

I thought that was a great episode. The scene which ended with Muscles Marinara getting clumped was beautifully directed. Basically, it was all about Tony reasserting himself. He gets to Satriale's and Paulie's sunning himself, Bobby's playing ball, and everyone's generally slacking off because Tony hasn't been around to run things in his usual style. He's looking around the room, and he's remembering that old maxim whereby you go for the biggest, toughest-looking guy in the gang, and if you smack the shit out of him, everyone is going to sit up and take notice. Right away in the next ep, Chrissy is suddenly agreeing with Tony again.

Ironically enough, I just got through watching that episode this morning (the night it originally aired, this girl I was dating called me in the middle of it, and I never caught up with the reruns that week). I understand why Tony had to do what he had to do, but damn - Muscles was new and young and the most respectful and deferential to Tony (post-hospital). It was kinda sad that he, out of the whole gang of 'em, had to be the one to take Tony's licks. It would have made more sense if he'd gone off on Chrissy, or even Paulie, but then they're both higher in the ranks than Muscles is so it probably couldn't happen.

And then, in that next episode where Tony apologizes to Muscles but doesn't explain why...and then caps it off with: "just so you remember"...that's a cold shot, man.

And I cracked up laughing at Vito's leather-boy getup...there was no keeping a straight face then.

tonight's was a season low in my opinion. still a few good scenes.

"you're doing a heck of a job, Brownie."

who the FUCK is that chick Chrissy married?

oh, as predicted, the slow and sad descent back into addiction...not looking good for Chrissy in the end.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    tonight's was a season low in my opinion. still a few good scenes.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    the realism of this episode was halfway decent because it's shit i can relate to although it is the sopranos after all and i would like to see some more action.

I thought this episode was kind of powerful. Chris and the drugs and shit. He knew he couldn't have a glass of wine and the next day he's passed out with a stray dog in some alley. That's heroin!

I want it to come out that Chris killed Ade and then Carmela et al will have to see the family for what it is. I was really hating Paulie, but he showed a somewhat human side at the end.

What's up w/ the sexy jamba juice broad, eh?
    Are Vito and his fireman really going to live happy ever after? Doubt it.
    When is Meadow gonna drop that zero?
    Does Tony's forehead look a lil misshapen? Like a crab kind of? Not a good look.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    they need to start picking up the pace again....this episode was a little thin...that flashback was a little unncesary.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I dug this week's episode.
    I usually get a little bored with Chrissie's AA Merry Go Round, but I thought that montage of his relapse was really well done. And the flashback when Chrissie went to tell Tony about Adrianna was well played.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What I want to know is whether there's going to be a story arc for the first half of this season (since the remaining episodes don't pick up until...early 07, right?). Or will there just be a series of cliffhangers?

In any case, yeah, last night's eppy was kind of a yawner. Small pawn moves but nothing very big. It would be very interesting to see what happens if Carmela finds out the truth - wonder what the writers have up their sleeve with this "return of Adriana" stuff they threw down this week.

But more importantly: the Vipers vs. the Sopranos. Make that happen.

hahaha. at first I was willing to dismiss this as one of the many run-ins that never led to anything of consequence (e.g. the Russians; no not the Russians in the forest; the Russians that slapped Tony's sister when she stole the Russian maid's leg and that got put in a store window).

but then, they kept mentioning the viper thing throughout the episode.

how's about this: [kidding] turns out Vito's lover is an ex-Viper, New Hampshire chapter. The Vipers do their homework and determine that as much as they wan revenge, they are dealing with a formidable enemy. so they call in the alumni reinforcements. Vito is asked to join in for back-up and the inevitable Tony's crew-Vito showdown ensues, but this time with Vipers as Vito's backup[/kidding]

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

hahaha. at first I was willing to dismiss this as one of the many run-ins that never led to anything of consequence (e.g. the Russians; no not the Russians in the forest; the Russians that slapped Tony's sister when she stole the Russian maid's leg and that got put in a store window).

how's about this: [kidding] turns out Vito's lover is an ex-Viper, New Hampshire chapter. The Vipers do their homework and determine that as much as they wan revenge, they are dealing with a formidable enemy. so they call in the alumni reinforcements. Vito is asked to join in for back-up and the inevitable Tony's crew-Vito showdown ensues, but this time with Vipers as Vito's backup[/kidding]

Dude.....you should write for the show......genius!!!!!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I want it to come out that Chris killed Ade and then Carmela et al will have to see the family for what it is.

Paulie killed her, not Chrissie.

I thought that the abundance of Ade stuff in this episode was a little heavy-handed. Just so much Ade! But it had to be brought up again at some point. Just like with Big Pussy: you can't kill off such a major character and expect it never to be mentioned.

Speaking of things that may figure in later episodes: I don't see the Vipers as "live and let live" kinda guys, so I could see them popping up again later.

How about Phil Leotardo's diss of Johnny Sack? Damn...that's all leading up to some serious shit.

PS GOD I wanna slap Janis!

• silvio killed her actually. in the woods. so she could be on joey. ha

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts

In any case, yeah, last night's eppy was kind of a yawner.

Man, I thought it might've been the best ep yet of the season. Maybe a yawner from an "action" standpoint but not a character development one. The Tony/Chrissie stuff was PURE GOLD. And then they hit you w/ the ill flashback? The development/devolution of Paulie Gautiere? The Tony/Carm scene? "Let me school you on domestic violence." Greatness. I dunno though, I think I look for different things from the Sopranos than others do.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

maybe not too far from the truth. the previews for next episode showed vito confessing to mr. johnny cakes. there might be a reason why they showed that.

I want it to come out that Chris killed Ade and then Carmela et al will have to see the family for what it is.

I thought that the abundance of Ade stuff in this episode was a little heavy-handed. Just so much Ade! But it had to be brought up again at some point. Just like with Big Pussy: you can't kill off such a major character and expect it never to be mentioned.

Speaking of things that may figure in later episodes: I don't see the Vipers as "live and let live" kinda guys, so I could see them popping up again later.

How about Phil Leotardo's diss of Johnny Sack? Damn...that's all leading up to some serious shit.

Yeah but Chris could have saved her and he didn't. Bros before hoes?

Yeah but Chris could have saved her and he didn't. Bros before hoes?

*sigh* Anna, you just never will understand the life of a gangster, will you?

More Katrina jibes...

"Dick Cheney for President...of the UNIVERSE!"

The Melfie scenes were interesting: Tony had a zinger in "Janice only does acts of Janice."

OH, and BEST. MEADOW-TONY. SCENE. EVAR. (except of course for the striptease in the opening of Episode 1 this season.)

"He asked me to go to the movies with him and I said I didn't but that he should go anyway...and he DID!" Man this was the realest schitt evar.

And Tony mustering all his tenderness for this gem: "You know who's good to talk to about this sort of thing? Your mother." And then: "Talk to your mother about this SHIT!" Great scene.

Oh and Vito's life spiraling into disaster, just when things with Johnny Cakes were going so well...

I have to say I was sad to see Johnny Sack go up. I dunno why. Anyone feel me?

Oh, and I much prefer Bobby Jr. to AJ. For as little acting as he actually does (screentime-wise and talent-wise), he's actually a lot more convincing a character. "Fuck the Giants!"