Soprano Countdown begins!!!! SPOILER ALERT

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You're description of the season being shot in a "dream-like" stage has me worried....the show drops off when they go that route(imo).
    i think that one episode when he's about to kill tony b and nearly the whole episode was a dream was one of the worst episodes they've had. i know they wanna make it more deep or whatever the fuck but i can only take so much. this season premier was awesome though but definitely could have used more paulie.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Funny Tony lines:

to AJ: "Hey, Joe College"

to his less-than-year-old niece: "Hey, how ya doin?"

You forgot to emphasize the real point - he said those words to his niece like he couldn't give a flying fuck and wanted to get it over with.

Super-funny subplot (although it's a little pathetic): big Bobby Bacala in the garage with his model trains, talking to Tony Soprano wearing that damned engineer's hat...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    could have used more paulie.

man where WAS paulie in this episode? outside satriale's for like five seconds? did he even have a speaking part?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think he was talking shit about johnny sac when they were in bada bing meeting with philly but beyond that..

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    could have used more paulie.

man where WAS paulie in this episode? outside satriale's for like five seconds? did he even have a speaking part?

paulie had one good line...it was something like "that guy's a stunad of the highest degree," but he used a bizarre term meaning the same thing and his style of delivery = lmmao.

anyone know the exact term he used? it's bothering me now that i can't think of it.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    syl: yeah by the way... your florida thing... that's a no go

paulie's funny, but syls always been my favorite of tony's homeys
    gene, what's your affinity to the character? just a coincidence? cuz thats real random. that was a very heavy hanging scene. i was actually feeling bad for you last night, like you wouldn't be back on soulstrut or something. man, i'm way too emotionally attached to the show. i went through a 15 minute depression after tony passed out.
    ps - my friend's girl made a bomb ass italian meal with proshooto sammiches and fettucine with meat sauce.

AJ snapping the photo of himself on his cell

Moltisanti asking hesch if it was chinks who beat up him and his son-in-law

That was from the Material Album "Seven Souls". Its all Burroughs and Laswell production. Early ninties goodness.

Thanks bro.

That shit was perfectly used.

i love how chase always uses music-heavy montages to set up a new season. "it was a very good year" and the "peter gunn theme/every breath you take" blend were great.

• gene, what's your affinity to the character? just a coincidence? cuz thats real random. that was a very heavy hanging scene. i was actually feeling bad for you last night, like you wouldn't be back on soulstrut or something.

I dunno....I always thought his name sounded cool and was a silly way to be referential. It's so left field I can make that be my username and sign up on any new mssg board or mailing list and not worry about it being taken. Mostly just an indicator of my supreme level of Sopranos nerdery though. Most casual fans probably didn't know that guy had a name until last night's ep.

I appreciate your empathy, mandrew.

man, i'm way too emotionally attached to the show. i went through a 15 minute depression after tony passed out.

its hard to feel sorry for a guy who kills people for a living, so i was glad the senile old cocksucker got his

• its hard to feel sorry for a guy who kills people for a living, so i was glad the senile old cocksucker got his

Tony is a slimy, sleazy, greedy fuckin douchebag, no doubt. Yet the beauty of the Sopranos, to me, is that I do still care about the motherfucker. I will be sad when/if he dies.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    !!!!!!!!!

i'm pulling for you tony.
    did anyone else notice tony clutching his stomach in pain a couple times in the first episode. i think once after he ate sushi, and another time right before he weighed himself. hmmm....

Tony is a slimy, sleazy, greedy fuckin douchebag, no doubt.
    slander!

edit - or is that libel? either way...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    vito offering to take aj home and then paulie yelling at him was hilarious

so was the monk that bitch slapped tony

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Vito being the top earner, but angling for more and thinking about boss-dom, yet also being the closet gay, is all leading to some major down the line. but then, so are all the sub-plots. tonight had me praying tony would wake up so it wouldnt *all* be a ride thru his subconcious, but by the end seeing how everybodys behavior was changing because he wasnt awake to contribute was fascinating.

Vito being the top earner, but angling for more and thinking about boss-dom, yet also being the closet gay, is all leading to some major down the line.

and then there's poor bobby baccala, who looks like he just wants OUT of that whole thing just as bad as gene...two episodes in a row have him being chewed out for not being where he should be.

and then there's paulie walnuts. he and furio were always the two scariest members of the "family." not even tony himself is as hostile and short-tempered. now furio is gone, but judging by what little i saw on the next-ep previews, paulie is gonna go OFF this season.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im predicting paulie and vito trying to ally with philly leotardo and all of them getting wacked.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    DAMN! that episode was crazy! ive missed the past 2 seasons, but wow, this one got off to a bang.

I dont think tony is gonna make it. Did the second one air yet? I watched the first on a tape.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    im predicting paulie and vito trying to ally with philly leotardo and all of them getting wacked.

I think you are correct. Things do not look good for paulie and vito. I wasn't really feeling the 2nd episode this season, but last night things got back on track. I was worried we were going to be stuck with dreams all season.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I think you are correct. Things do not look good for paulie and vito. I wasn't really feeling the 2nd episode this season, but last night things got back on track. I was worried we were going to be stuck with dreams all season.

I doubt they're going to whack all three. I think Vito is going down but Paulie is due (karmically speaking). With Phil...it's hard to say; they're not setting him up to be the same kind of crazy hothead that Richie or even Ralphie was so I'll be curious to see what the central conflict ends up being.

At first, I found the whole "coma dream sequence" a bit contrived but at some point, I thought it worked well...though the "don't go into the light" ending was hackneyed, no matter how you want to slice it. Good to see Buscemi back up in the house though.

I also thought Carmela's visit with Dr. Melfi was fantastic; it's good to see the two central women on the show interact with each other. Also - less Janice = better.

And lastly: the "Saw" meets "Godfather II" angle is hilariously brilliant. Poor Tim Daly.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

And lastly: the "Saw" meets "Godfather II" angle is hilariously brilliant. Poor Tim Daly.

Best part of the show last night.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    they definitely stepped up the humor for this season. the saw meets godfather stuff was funny, but i was dying when paulie told vito that everybody used to say he looked like john travolta when he was younger. vito had a great line in the last episode when he said that the guy might have killed himself because he was a closet homo.

• This season is a home run already as far as I'm concerned. I've actually enjoyed the "Tony in purgatory" stuff. Episode 3 was bananas though. Paulie and Vito are wilin' out on the greed tip. Poor Sil. Couldn't even make it through a whole episode as acting boss. Not up to the task. "Some people are better number twos".

SPOILER --- It looks like Tony is gonna be fine if you watched the teasers at the end last night. Clips of him runnin shit from his hospital room. Can't wait.

vito had a great line in the last episode when he said that the guy might have killed himself because he was a closet homo.

the casting directors gave vito an unnaturally hot wife

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

My favorite part of the season so far is the mimicing of Godfather part 1 with the whole AJ/Tony thing. Not exactly the same as Vito/Michael, but enough was there for me to mention it to my girl. She was like "eeeeeh, i don't know"....then during the episode last night when Christopher takes AJ and rubs his head almost EXACTLY like Sonny did to Michael when he was talking about the SAME shit (being a bigger part of the 'family')....well it was undeniable.

nice.

-pj

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    the trailor for the next episode looks heated. I need a serious late pass for this show though, I barely got hooked on it last season and didn't even see it all. I wonder what all the talk about memory loss and alzheimmer's (sp) is going to amount to with Tony Soprano. And his kid has some serious angst issues. He's looked like he's ready to off himself in every scene he's been in this season so far.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    less Janice = better.

just got back into town and have yet to see the 2nd episode.

had to come to Janice's defense though. one of the best actors/actresses on the show. no one else evokes so much emotion in me (in her case hate/annoyance).

anyway who got a recording of the last episode?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i love janice just for all of her tantrums she throws with that annoying ass screaming

vito is pretty much a given already for getting wacked, but i can see paulie getting it too because he's ALWAYS been a greedy mufuckah with a sense of entitlement. paulie is like my favorite character but it's not like he's highly respected by anyone on either side (johnny sac COMPLETELY manipulating him and constantly annoying tony and chris) so i could see him getting wacked over something this season.

if you remember the initial trailer for the sixth season, paulie and someone else are having a conversation with someone and paulie says "we need to know that we will be taken care of." to me that is either saying they're joining a new crew or tony is dead and there's a new boss.