Soprano Countdown begins!!!! SPOILER ALERT

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The thing with Janice - I think she's been a great character but she feels hella one-note to me and has ever since she killed Richie. Like, that was a fantastic arc for her character and that should have been it. The last few seasons have not added anything onto her character for me. Even Artie is more interesting and well-developed.

i love janice just for all of her tantrums she throws with that annoying ass screaming

vito is pretty much a given already for getting wacked, but i can see paulie getting it too because he's ALWAYS been a greedy mufuckah with a sense of entitlement. paulie is like my favorite character but it's not like he's highly respected by anyone on either side (johnny sac COMPLETELY manipulating him and constantly annoying tony and chris) so i could see him getting wacked over something this season.

if you remember the initial trailer for the sixth season, paulie and someone else are having a conversation with someone and paulie says "we need to know that we will be taken care of." to me that is either saying they're joining a new crew or tony is dead and there's a new boss.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    who got a recording of the last episode?

if you have HBO, it seems like they replay each episode umpteen times a week anyway

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The thing with Janice - I think she's been a great character but she feels hella one-note to me and has ever since she killed Richie. Like, that was a fantastic arc for her character and that should have been it. The last few seasons have not added anything onto her character for me. Even Artie is more interesting and well-developed.

I don't know. It seems like Artie and Janice's characters are pretty similar to me. Both of them have personalities that they display to the general public (Janice being an annoying twat, Artie being an outgoing guy), their evil sides (Janice killing or scavenging around for inheritance money, Artie lusting after other women and loan sharking), and their vulnerable moments (Janice confiding in Tony or Bobby, Artie after all that bad shit that happened to him.) Artie definitely has more likeable moments while Janice has varying degrees of being annoying.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I was out of the country for the last 2 episodes so I just caught up last night.

Episode 2 was but 3 was a heater.

Despite the best efforts of the writers, AJ is having difficulty crawling out of the depths of irrelevance for me. Then again, they must have something BIG in store for him or else they wasted 6 years on his character. Maybe he does something really big and stupid in the last episode?

What are y'all predictions for AJ this season?

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Can someone help confirm something for me?

In the first episode when within-coma Tony is talking to his wife on the phone I thought it was a different voice than Carmella but my wife seems to remember it as her voice.

Can someone please drop some knowledge and let me know what you remember/know?

In the first episode when within-coma Tony is talking to his wife on the phone I thought it was a different voice than Carmella but my wife seems to remember it as her voice.

definitely different voice, as was Meadow on the phone.

Artie Bucco's wife perhaps? She and Tony dated once so possibility of their having ended up together in the parallel alternative universe, straight-shooting Tony lifestyle scenario.

Cool - That's what I thought, thanks.

The Artie wife thing is an interesting conjecture.
    I wonder if they listed it in the credits?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I remember it being Carmella. I just assumed that she shitcanned the East Coast accent, which is probably why she sounded different (remember, Tony kinda lightened up on the "dese" and "does" during the dream sequence as well).

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

definitely different voice, as was Meadow on the phone.

Artie Bucco's wife perhaps? She and Tony dated once so possibility of their having ended up together in the parallel alternative universe, straight-shooting Tony lifestyle scenario.

Yeah, my girlfriend pointed this out and when I watched the repeat it did sound like her. It was deffinetly not Carmella

Looks like I might have to watch the first episode when they play it again on HBO to confirm...

• I really think the voice of Kevin Finnerty's wife is not supposed to be anyone we know....just different altogether. Just like how his kids sounded way younger than AJ and Mead.

I really think the voice of Kevin Finnerty's wife is not supposed to be anyone we know....just different altogether. Just like how his kids sounded way younger than AJ and Mead.

Gene: Please to offer your thoughts on my above question re: AJ predictions...

I really think the voice of Kevin Finnerty's wife is not supposed to be anyone we know....just different altogether. Just like how his kids sounded way younger than AJ and Mead.

AJ will do something increadably stupid and will end up in the family business. I have thought this since day one. He is like a mini tony.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

my girlfriend swears that his wife's voice in that episode is adrianna. i think she is right. last season tony was sweating her, plus it would be an interesting twist considering his role in her death.

• I really think the voice of Kevin Finnerty's wife is not supposed to be anyone we know....just different altogether. Just like how his kids sounded way younger than AJ and Mead.

Man, that's tough RC. AJ has become the new "Livia" of the family. Think about it...his "poor you" to Meadow in Episode 1, that is pretty much a direct quote from the Soprano matriarch. He is so put-upon all the time and a martyr in his own mind.

Whenever I think about AJ's character, I always think about what happened with Jackie, Jr. However, AJ doesn't have the balls that Jackie, Jr. did...at least yet. He's just too soft, I think, to get into any kind of gangster shit. Isn't that the ultimate line that separates them from us? The ability and willingness to beat, kill or maim to get what you need?

I think AJ remains a spoiled, silly and sullen child until the remaining 17 episodes are done, I really do. Would Tony really let anything else happen to him? Kid couldn't even buy a piece w/out Uncles Bobby and Chrissy gettin' wind.....

AJ will do something increadably stupid and will end up in the family business. I have thought this since day one. He is like a mini tony.

Really? I agree w/ the "doing something incredibly stupid" part. He just doesn't seem to have Tony's smarts, guile or stomach for violence.

A party planner?

Really? I agree w/ the "doing something incredibly stupid" part. He just doesn't seem to have Tony's smarts, guile or stomach for violence.

A party planner?

I don't think he is smart, but Tony probably wasn't all that smart when he was that age. I think as people start making moves on Tony he will need people he can trust and he may at some point turn to AJ.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

A party planner?

I don't think he is smart, but Tony probably wasn't all that smart when he was that age. I think as people start making moves on Tony he will need people he can trust and he may at some point turn to AJ.

Meadow studying law and everything may get involved and I have no problem with her getting more camera time!

A party planner?

Meadow studying law and everything may get involved and I have no problem with her getting more camera time!

someone plaese to make an Episode 1 striptease mpeg.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i can see aj insisting on doing something stupid and eventually tony, chris, and silvio will give up on him and just let him into the business.

• How 'bout Paulie fuckin clippin $0.55 coupons as he's talking about splitting up the milli he just stole?!?

"It was MAYHAM!"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    How 'bout Paulie fuckin clippin $0.55 coupons as he's talking about splitting up the milli he just stole?!?

"It was MAYHAM!"
    hahahahhahaha this is why paulie is so great

I think as people start making moves on Tony he will need people he can trust and he may at some point turn to AJ.

this seems likely.

AJ will definitely do something stupid.

I like seeing Max Cassella finally getting some shine hahaha.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing Phin get some more air time on some more creepy Vito sexual harassment shit. That subplot kills me.

But again, back to the important issues: Meadow striptease mpeg PLAESE.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what is treach supposed to show up as?

looks like Bobby or Paulie start to "diversify" into drugs (with or without Tony's approval) and Treach factors in somehow.

is that racist for me to assume?

• what is treach supposed to show up as?

looks like Bobby or Paulie start to "diversify" into drugs (with or without Tony's approval) and Treach factors in somehow.

Oh shit. Remember Bobby to Sil "I'm going to have to do something drastic!"

Good call man.

Maybe Bobby is diversifying into "rap mogul"?

Naw, drug game is more likely.

Not racist. We all saw the greatest-movie-ever-made "Goodfellas". Narco is a no-go. "I have to turn my back on you." Paulie to Henjry Hill.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i just watched the trailer again and bobby was indeed picking up some product in it.

• i just watched the trailer again and bobby was indeed picking up some product in it.

Man, I love it when they show Bobby workin, which is rare. Usually he's in a domestic setting w/ either his family or Uncle June.

Loved the scene in Season 4 when he went to that bar and talked to the Union Rep guy..."I'd want to put a bullet in my head, here, here and here."

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i just watched the trailer again and bobby was indeed picking up some product in it.

Man, I love it when they show Bobby workin, which is rare. Usually he's in a domestic setting w/ either his family or Uncle June.

Loved the scene in Season 4 when he went to that bar and talked to the Union Rep guy..."I'd want to put a bullet in my head, here, here and here."
    seems like he's going to get a lot of screen time during this season. there's a part in the trailer where it looks like he's going to get into a fight with someone a at least three or four people are holding him back. must be some serious shit because he's never really lost his temper in that way yet.

this made me remember the pine barrens episode (best episode ever) where bobby dresses up in his ridiculous hunting gear hahaha

Oh shit. Remember Bobby to Sil "I'm going to have to do something drastic!"

Good call man.

Maybe Bobby is diversifying into "rap mogul"?

Naw, drug game is more likely.

Not racist. We all saw the greatest-movie-ever-made "Goodfellas". Narco is a no-go. "I have to turn my back on you." Paulie to Henjry Hill.

that reminds me: did anyone else see shades of Goodfellas in Carmella's description of Tony's courting her during the Carmella-Melfie scene?

When Edie Falco is talking to Lorraine Bracco it's like Lorraine Bracco's own lines in Goodfellas when she says she shoulda been disgusted by Tony's (read: Henry's) lifestyle, but it actually attracted her.