Soprano Countdown begins!!!! SPOILER ALERT

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    what is treach supposed to show up as?

looks like Bobby or Paulie start to "diversify" into drugs (with or without Tony's approval) and Treach factors in somehow.

is that racist for me to assume?

Oh shit. Remember Bobby to Sil "I'm going to have to do something drastic!"

Good call man.

Maybe Bobby is diversifying into "rap mogul"?

Naw, drug game is more likely.

Not racist. We all saw the greatest-movie-ever-made "Goodfellas". Narco is a no-go. "I have to turn my back on you." Paulie to Henjry Hill.

that reminds me: did anyone else see shades of Goodfellas in Carmella's description of Tony's courting her during the Carmella-Melfie scene?

When Edie Falco is talking to Lorraine Bracco it's like Lorraine Bracco's own lines in Goodfellas when she says she shoulda been disgusted by Tony's (read: Henry's) lifestyle, but it actually attracted her.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. That was a really good scene.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    totally unrelated: trying to cop one of these wire posters:

but I can only find the mini one. the magazine ad featured a wider shot. anyone know where I can cop that?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    once the wire, entourage, and weeds air again, i am officially done with doing anything remotely productive.

• did anyone else see shades of Goodfellas in Carmella's description of Tony's courting her during the Carmella-Melfie scene?

Yes.

• did anyone else see shades of Goodfellas in Carmella's description of Tony's courting her during the Carmella-Melfie scene?

Of course, but I don't think it was really an intentional reference so much as just the same old story of a woman falling in love with a "bad boy".

What I found more interesting were the shades of Macbeth in the scenes with Sil and his wife... he's happy where he's at but she's pushing him to want more. Maybe this theory was crushed by the asthma attack, but we'll have to wait and see.

Did anybody else catch the Beowulf reference in the scene where they bust in the writing class? I forget all the details of Beowulf but I remember him (or one of the villains?) having the meanest mother around (i.e. Livia) and also killing a monster and taking its arm off ... later referenced in the hilarious "Cleaver" script.

What did you guys make of the monks in Tony's dream?
    Kevin Finnerty.. is pretty obvious, like the guy at the bar pointed out, Infinity. A guy who sells solar heating products, and never returns calls to his disgruntled customers... in other words, God. I guess it was just showing how out of touch Tony is with his spiritual side?

Fuck, I can't believe I'm turning into a Sopranos nerd.

• once the wire, entourage, and weeds air again, i am officially done with doing anything remotely productive.

Weeds is my shit!

Such a crush on the kush-slangin' MILF.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    once the wire, entourage, and weeds air again, i am officially done with doing anything remotely productive.

Weeds is my shit!

the next season looks to be on some massive jumpoff shit between the newly formed weed cartel and girly dating the dea agent

Of course, but I don't think it was really an intentional reference so much as just the same old story of a woman falling in love with a "bad boy".

What I found more interesting were the shades of Macbeth in the scenes with Sil and his wife... he's happy where he's at but she's pushing him to want more. Maybe this theory was crushed by the asthma attack, but we'll have to wait and see.

Did anybody else catch the Beowulf reference in the scene where they bust in the writing class? I forget all the details of Beowulf but I remember him (or one of the villains?) having the meanest mother around (i.e. Livia) and also killing a monster and taking its arm off ... later referenced in the hilarious "Cleaver" script.

What did you guys make of the monks in Tony's dream?
    Kevin Finnerty.. is pretty obvious, like the guy at the bar pointed out, Infinity. A guy who sells solar heating products, and never returns calls to his disgruntled customers... in other words, God. I guess it was just showing how out of touch Tony is with his spiritual side?

Fuck, I can't believe I'm turning into a Sopranos nerd.

I dunno. Dood from Arizona that sells heating products? Sounds like the debil to me.

I think the monks represent "good"...or in Tony's case, those he has wronged but refuses to admit any cupability towards.

• once the wire, entourage, and weeds air again, i am officially done with doing anything remotely productive.

Weeds is my shit!

the next season looks to be on some massive jumpoff shit between the newly formed weed cartel and girly dating the dea agent

Shit, that's right. The dood she started kinda seeing towards the end is DEA? Man, I need to re-watch that first season.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    compassionate, generous, sympathetic, and optimistic... tony really is a different person

funny parts:
    tony calling bobby out about the breakfast-delivering choo choo train
    lord jamar "but it really hurts!"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hahaa, i think this season is getting more funny each episode

compassionate, generous, sympathetic, and optimistic... tony really is a different person

funny parts:
    tony calling bobby out about the breakfast-delivering choo choo train
    lord jamar "but it really hurts!"

missed it tonight but it's tevoed.

still couldn't resist looking at this thread.

so it IS jamar? thought I saw him couple weeks back in teh trailer but it was hard to tell.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

it may be too soon to tell. i started to harp on the fact that tony was GRINNING when paulie related his tale of woe (paul found out that his aunt was his mother and vice versa). but on the other hand, he chided paul for cutting off the lady who raised him ("she cared for you and bailed you out of jail...now you want to throw her in the street?"***). he definitely softened, although he was just a little too JOVIAL when discussing paul's problem.

It was a great episode. Bobby shooting Trech in the ass .

"My mothers a whore!"

That shit was fucking classic.

• so it IS jamar?

Did anyone catch his Everything is Everything line? Had me giggling a bit

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Weeds is my shit!

Shit, that's right. The dood she started kinda seeing towards the end is DEA? Man, I need to re-watch that first season.

I only finally got to see a couple of episodes of Weeds this weekend because we had free Showtime. My wife and I felt pretty hooked from those two shows but we're wondering if it's worth the extra dough to add another premium channel. Does Showtime have any other original programming that's worthwhile? When does Weeds start up again?

Entourage = Cosign

The Wire = Cosign Cosign COSIGN!!!

Entourage is June, and The Wire is when, September or something?

Anyone heard anything yet about when the next season of Deadwood is expected?

so it IS jamar?

Did anyone catch his Everything is Everything line? Had me giggling a bit

This whole scene had me dying.
    Seeing everyone sift through the Bell Lab guy's quantum explanation of the universe was hilarious - especially Paulie!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Seeing everyone sift through the Bell Lab guy's quantum explanation of the universe was hilarious

(a) Reminds me of another one of those weird pop-cult references on the show...remember when Tony meets Schwinn for the first time - "yeah, you must be rich from all those bicycles!" When Schwinn replies that he actually works for Bell Labs, Tony retorts, "yeah, you guys invented stereo!"

That one is almost as out there as (RECORD GEEK ALERT)[/b] an episode from a few years back where Tony is sitting in a gymnasium locker room with a black business associate when a Chi-Lites song drifts in on a nearby radio. "The Chi-Lites!," the biz associate sez. "They were on the same label as fuckin' Tommy James & the Shondells!" Tony replies, "the Chi-Lites...they were on Brunswick, right?" WTF???

(I should mention that Tommy James and the Chi-Lites were NOT labelmates...although both artists recorded for labels - Roulette and Brunswick - with SCARY "wiseguy" connections...)

Seeing everyone sift through the Bell Lab guy's quantum explanation of the universe was hilarious

(a) Reminds me of another one of those weird pop-cult references on the show...remember when Tony meets Schwinn for the first time - "yeah, you must be rich from all those bicycles!" When Schwinn replies that he actually works for Bell Labs, Tony retorts, "yeah, you guys invented stereo!"

That one is almost as out there as (RECORD GEEK ALERT)[/b] an episode from a few years back where Tony is sitting in a gymnasium locker room with a black business associate when a Chi-Lites song drifts in on a nearby radio. "The Chi-Lites!," the biz associate sez. "They were on the same label as fuckin' Tommy James & the Shondells!" Tony replies, "the Chi-Lites...they were on Brunswick, right?" WTF???

(I should mention that Tommy James and the Chi-Lites were NOT labelmates...although both artists recorded for labels - Roulette and Brunswick - with SCARY "wiseguy" connections...)

Loved that Schwinn line!
    It took me back to my first green Schwinn with a banana seat!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

"My mothers a hooowaahhh!"

That shit was fucking classic.

• I still can't get over Tony talking with that other accent in the dream sequences. Fucking hilarious!

missed it tonight but it's tevoed.

just watched it. another heater.

Hesh's sister: Say what you will about the evangelical christians but they are friends of the Jews because Israel is the promised land.
    Hesh: Just wait.

That shit was deep.

Also this gem when Tony is talking about how insignificant the human existence is in the course of the universe's history.
    Chrissy: (pause) I don't feel that way.

and Jamar of course.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Also this gem when Tony is talking about how insignificant the human existence is in the course of the universe's history.
    Chrissy: (pause) I don't feel that way.

indeed

also, tony talking bout how vito taking a dump: "you could probably build a jetty with what comes out!"

I am surprised nobody is talking about last sunday's episode, it was a good one. t going back to work, beating down the help, puking up blood. where yall at??

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i think it was the best ep so far this season. the dude from celeb fit club gonna pop himself, or is him and lil stevey up to something? (cant remember any of their names) i cant tell if tony's gonna change or go back to being an evil mf'er, esp after beating his driver's ass like that. i know he was trying to look hard again, but why?

• I am surprised nobody is talking about last sunday's episode, it was a good one. t going back to work, beating down the help, puking up blood. where yall at??

This whole season has been great. Very well-rounded and the performances have been spot-on.

Tony beating up "Muscles Marinara"......shades of Feech LaManna?

Jesus Frank Vincent is great as Phillie Leotardo. "My estimation of Johhny Sacrimony just plummeted."

Chrissie: "Why don't you just ask him not to have to do that?" "What does that have to do with cold medicine?"

Jackals indeed.

yeah there was a lot of focus on muscles in this ep. remember when he first sat down with everybody he mentioned something about losing muscle but not fat. plus he was staring at peoples' arms all episode.

and how bout ol' boy vito? oh man....