Soprano Countdown begins!!!! SPOILER ALERT

Comments

• I don't think that Meadow will end up in the family business. Carm, though? Definitely a possibility. AJ will get Jackie Juniored if he tries to mob up.

I thik that Tony's reluctance to off Vito will result in even more dissention among the ranks. I love when he said to Vito's replacement, "Ya know, it's not like this is the first time." You could just see Sil thinking, "Tone--who else?!" I was hoping Tony would say "Furio" just for my own private mind garden laughs.

Speaking of laughs: Tony working out in the pool and telling Carm that he's "trying to build his lats back up." He is really envious of Muscles Marinara. Oh, and the short scene with him--hilarious.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Am I the only one that wants Vito to open an antique store in small-town New Hampshire? I want this to work out for him, but alas, the life of a gangster. . .

yeah I'd be happy with that, but part of me wants him to accept himself and become a real badass character like Omar in the Wire.

I think it's the other way around - Vito accepting himself would mean being a gay antique dealer in NH.

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    Seems like Tony is against offing him though, right?

It does. And stupidly, I wondered "why"? Well of course, Vito is a top earner. None of the other crew benefit from what Vito brings in, but Tony does. He's not quick to want to cut off that $$ train......

Yes Vito, with his constrution racket, is definately Tony's top earner, so thats got to be the main reason for his reluctance to have him whacked. Also notice how the post-coma Tony is more...'forgiving'? The scene with Melfi discussing the Vito situation. Tony: "Something inside me says god bless, a salute, who gives a shit. I had a second chance, why shouldnt he?" Melfi: "Part of your new outlook?" Tony: "Maybe".

Looks like Phil Leotardo is more hungry to put Vito down, him being married to his cousin and all. Wonder if its Phil who catches up with Vito first? Whacks Vito without getting the nod from Tony. Tony would need to give the all clear on this right? Vito being one of Tony's captains. So its NY stepping into NJ business.....Tony not too pleased. Phil makes the case that Vito with his cousin connection gives him the right to do the job. Tony still doesnt like it and some of his guys like Paulie might be siding with Phil on this one?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think it's the other way around - Vito accepting himself would mean being a gay antique dealer in NH[/b].

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    tonight was all about the cameos. ben fucking kingsley? but lauren bacall was the best; Chrissy apparently broke her wrist!

I could have done without the moralizing about the actor's getting comped all the cool shit.

and Tony looking over the the haul from that Bacall heist? awesome. Chrissy: "It's for a pocket dog." hahahaha.

speaking of Chrissy, is he gonna be able to just get back on the wagon like that? or more tragic coke- and alcohol-induced fuck-ups?

Max Cassella's meteoric rise continues: he was like a main character in this episode as well. here's to this being a set-up for his offing.

between the hollywood hooker, the stripper Tone and Artie are watching, and the numerous Charmaine Bucco scenes: some GREAT tits in this episode.

And how FYYYYYYNE was the Albanian?!? Artie had the line of the episode though: "Another fun fact from the Balkans!"

Another Artie banger: "this is how you repay me? With non-stop ass rape!?!"

good to see the sleazebag orthodox Jew hotelier making a comeback cameo.

and as for this:

Looks like Phil Leotardo is more hungry to put Vito down, him being married to his cousin and all. Wonder if its Phil who catches up with Vito first? Whacks Vito without getting the nod from Tony. Tony would need to give the all clear on this right? Vito being one of Tony's captains. So its NY stepping into NJ business.....Tony not too pleased. Phil makes the case that Vito with his cousin connection gives him the right to do the job. Tony still doesnt like it and some of his guys like Paulie might be siding with Phil on this one?

The previews made this seem like a distinct possibility. I think it's right on.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Another Artie banger: "this is how you repay me? With non-stop ass rape!?!"

I seem to remember that the dude Artie beat up was on Doogie Houser.

I love the Sopranos. I always seem to talk in a goombah accent for 30 minutes after each episode. Usually making chauvinistic comments on "Big Love" like , "What the fuck...three wives? I can barely manage one!" My wife will retort, "You can't even afford one!"

I gotta say though, Steven Van Zandt is right on the money when he says that other folks (like Pauly) will lose faith in Tony if he doesn't make a move on Vito. Folks will think NJ is soft and start taking money from him if he doesn't act. As much as I want Vito to open an antique store in small-town New Hampshire and want this to work out for him, the life of a gangster will fuck him over...

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    right on cosmo...

cecil b. demoltasante was funny throughout...when he made that crack about murmur and the girls walking away from him- that was classic. plus, when he was tryin to pitch the movie to kingsley & he called it law & order suv...

the albanian looked ULTRA hot when she was yelling at artie and tony cracked me up with the looks he gave christopher when looking through the luxury lounge bag, too. and the stripper?

artie was being a stunad making that last comment to dude at the table...so UNnecessary. next episode look for aj to catch a beat down...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    not too much went on this episode but it was fucking hilarious

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    what bwas the story w/ the dudes on the plane at the end?

• not too much went on this episode but it was fucking hilarious

Naw, it's like one of their little "sidebar" episodes they do every year. (Remember the Columbus Day one?). Still, very entertaining and hilarious indeed. Chrissie and Murmur jaw-jackin' Lauren Bacall had me in stitches. Ben Kingsley "FUUUUCK" as Chrissie eyeballs him from the front of the plane.....

Best line: "Well, he's gone, so I guess we'll chalk it up to the Headless Horseman". Frank Vincent yet again.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    not too much went on this episode but it was fucking hilarious

Arti is an idiot, but its always funny watching him get his ass kicked. I worked in a restaurant where the chef would always go around talking to the tables, but he was really corny about it. One night he was talking to this table and a little 11 or so year old kid tells him, "shut up I'm eating" the server was nearby and said she had the hardest time not laughing. The kid???s parents never said a thing they just kept eating and waiting for the chef to leave.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    When I was watching the show I was like "here we go with another Artie being a fuck up episode" It was great That he beat the shit out of that doogie howser punk. I also enjoyed the Artie marinara!! Oh yea and f--- Lauren Bacall or whatever her name is.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

the albanian looked ULTRA hot

i don't know man, chick was definitely bangin', but something wasn't right about her nose....

artie fucked vinnie from doogie howser the fuck up!!

chrissy was cracking me up all episode. he was really sweating kingsley over that luxery lounge shit, i was laughing. out loud. by myself. good shit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Holy shit...I KNEW I knew Benny from someplace but I couldn't place where. Ha, no wonder I've always liked his character - dude was Doogie's pal. Hilarious.

This Sunday's episode was fantastic. The fact that Artie actually WON a fight? And had the balls to fucking clown the dude, at the table? That was worth the burnt hand.

And yeah, Lauren Bacall and Kingsley were ridiculous on the cameo level (I mean this in a good way). They PUNCHED Bacall. Wicked.

RIP Rusty.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im pretty sure all that shit they were flashing was from the gift basket chrissy jacked that awards lady for

well one thing this episode setup was tension between the two families over vito because it looks like that can be the most major thing this season.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    im pretty sure all that shit they were flashing was from the gift basket chrissy jacked that awards lady for

well one thing this episode setup was tension between the two families over vito because it looks like that can be the most major thing this season.

No - the two Italian assassins (ooh, it rhymes) were comparing gifts they bought in NY that they were bringing back to their families. THat's why they were talking about how much cheaper some of the items were in the U.S. compared to what they would have paid for them in Naples. The watch and pens did NOT come from the gift basket.

No - the two Italian assassins (ooh, it rhymes) were comparing gifts they bought in NY that they were bringing back to their families. THat's why they were talking about how much cheaper some of the items were in the U.S. compared to what they would have paid for them in Naples. The watch and pens did NOT come from the gift basket.

yeah those were just goods the Italians bought on their little trip.

The scene was part of a larger "dialogue" going on in the episode. It was like bookends: The first and last scenes both dealt with the Italian experience v. the Italian American experience.

Remember the junkie that Chrissy got to meet the Italians? He was American, but an immigrant who actually spoke Italian also. The Italians were really excited about that, but he didn't want to talk about.

Then the Italians are able to buy these cheap goods for their families, like a sort of "streets paved with gold" moment about how great America is. While the reality obviously is quite different, which we as the Sopranos audience are privy to.

When they kill Rusty they are yelling at them in Italian, while they (the Italian American gangsters) don't understand them. Interesting scene also.

Not sure what to make of these scenes, but I have been thinking about them a lot.

Max Cassella = Vinny DelPino = Neil Patrick Harris' goofy sex-crazed Italian sidekick.

Wanda was hot though!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Not sure what to make of these scenes, but I have been thinking about them a lot.

not sure what it means either. definitely showing the american mobsters are disconnected from the italian streets tho.

also, those gun shots were pretty loud and ol girl had just come outside to tell Rusty something, you'd think she would have heard the shots and come see what was up or somethin. oh well. it IS a dramatic HBO series after all, not everything can be perfect.

• Man, that's the second time Benny caught a major beatin. And they let Artie get over on him like that???? At least it's a step up for Artie, last seen getting severely roughed up by a French conman.

Benny is the shit though. Now that GP is sadly no longer around, he's my favorite low-level guy in the Soprano crew.

• SureshotSureshot 134 Posts

yeah those were just goods the Italians bought on their little trip.

The scene was part of a larger "dialogue" going on in the episode. It was like bookends: The first and last scenes both dealt with the Italian experience v. the Italian American experience.

Remember the junkie that Chrissy got to meet the Italians? He was American, but an immigrant who actually spoke Italian also. The Italians were really excited about that, but he didn't want to talk about.

Then the Italians are able to buy these cheap goods for their families, like a sort of "streets paved with gold" moment about how great America is. While the reality obviously is quite different, which we as the Sopranos audience are privy to.

When they kill Rusty they are yelling at them in Italian, while they (the Italian American gangsters) don't understand them. Interesting scene also.

And the little jab Chase threw in regarding how weak the dollar is compared to the Euro... Streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch it a bit further and he may be comparing mob guys from the US to those from the Motherland... How much weaker the guys from the states are... A taking candy from a baby moment if you will...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Max Cassella = Vinny DelPino = Neil Patrick Harris' goofy sex-crazed Italian sidekick.

Wanda was hot though!

Wanda was Doogie's old lady. Vinnie's gf wasn't bad either, but came up short next to Wanda.

• Did anyone watch last nights episode?

Just finished bit torrenting it and am 'bout to sit down and watch it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    fucking vito killed it this episode haha

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    sheah...tony's baguette comes into play and aj is a pantywaist.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    anyone else notice the inconsistency w/ aj's hair. the first scene shows him w/ a
    new cut, than a scene or two later, on the boat, his hair is long. then short the rest of the episodes.

theyve been opening and wrapping up the show with these insignificant characters that seem to have some moral lesson.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    anyone else notice the inconsistency w/ aj's hair. the first scene shows him w/ a
    new cut, than a scene or two later, on the boat, his hair is long. then short the rest of the episodes.

theyve been opening and wrapping up the show with these insignificant characters that seem to have some moral lesson.

Yeah, my girlfriend noticed the hair thing. It was an alright episode, but not great. The stuff with Vito is good and the gag with corporations and chain stores messing up the rackets is classic.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i thought the whole story with vito and johnny cakes was kind of bizarre and inconsequential to the rest of the season. vito, we barerly knew ye before this season... why are we watchign you fall in love in a little new hampshire town?
    the aj bizness was very interesting though. tony has always been torn up about how to handle his son's shortcomings/similarities to him. i kept thinking throughout the episode that aj was starting to notice how pathetic that lifestyle was, but then he goes and tries to impress them (and tony) with that awful attempt on junior's life...

oh yeah, and in real world soprano's news, it seems another cast member is in trouble with the law:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0502061artiebucco1.html?link=eaf

Artie Bucco In Hot Soup

NYC cops nab sauced "Sopranos" star on DWI, coke raps

MAY 2--In the latest arrest of a "Sopranos" cast member, the actor who portrays sad sack restaurateur Artie Bucco was nabbed yesterday for cocaine possession and drunk driving. John Ventimiglia, 42, was popped on the misdemeanor counts after cops spotted his 2004 Volkswagen Jetta doing the weave at 12:45 AM near his Brooklyn home. After cops pulled over his car--which had its headlights out--Ventimiglia was observed "exhibiting signs of intoxication: to wit, slurred speech, red watery eyes, odor of alcoholic beverage on breath, and an unsteady gait," according to a criminal complaint. A subsequent chemical test showed that Ventimiglia's blood alcohol content was .12, above the state's .08 maximum. The actor was also hit with a drug count when a cop found a ziplock bag and a small envelope containing cocaine residue in his pants pocket. With his arrest, Ventimiglia joins, among others, castmates Robert Iler, Tony Sirico, and Vincent Pastore on the "Sopranos" docket sheet.

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts

AJs bar tab from the club. How much!? Ha..but notice, at the top, it has the time printed as 2.34 PM Ooops.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

AJs bar tab from the club. How much!? Ha..but notice, at the top, it has the time printed as 2.34 PM Ooops.

Old NYC club trick.

You'll also notice that the receipt looks pretty worn, not just printed out of a register.

Waiter keeps a copy of a large receipt, and when he thinks he has a sucker with a $800-$900 bill, he hits them with the $1,200 check and pockets $300-$400 bucks.

AJ is a sucker.