Hip-Hop Albums of the Year Thread

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I don't think we've had one of these yet, which is odd, since usually some little dude tries to start one before all of the big fourth quarter releases are even out.Oh, and don't even try coming into my thread tawnbout Little Brother... matter of fact, I think I'm gonna give you Little Brother fans your own thread within which to let the contents of your private mind gardens spill forth.

Comments

• hmmm... i wish someone would list some nominees, cause i don't recall too many...

• I don't think we've had one of these yet, which is odd, since usually some little dude tries to start one before all of the big fourth quarter releases are even out.

Oh, and don't even try coming into my thread tawnbout Little Brother... matter of fact, I think I'm gonna give you Little Brother fans your own thread within which to let the contents of your private mind gardens spill forth.

This is an amazing opener. You start a hip hop album of the year thread, don't even list a hip hop album, and then make fun of people's prospective choices...I can tell this is going to be a good thread.

There are no classics this year whatsoever, but if I were pressed I'd have to say Late Registration (which might, technically, be a pop album). But since it came out so late last year I would also say Purple Haze was the best album last year, this year, and probably next year.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think we've had one of these yet, which is odd, since usually some little dude tries to start one before all of the big fourth quarter releases are even out.

Oh, and don't even try coming into my thread tawnbout Little Brother... matter of fact, I think I'm gonna give you Little Brother fans your own thread within which to let the contents of your private mind gardens spill forth.

My Top 10 in ranked order:

1. Kanye West: Late Registration
    2. Edan: Beauty and the Beat
    3. Beanie Siegel: The B.Coming
    4. Quasimoto: The Further Adventures of Lord Quas
    5. The Game: The Documentary
    6. Zion I: True and Livin???
    7. Young Jeezy: Let???s Get It On: Thug Motivation 101
    8. Atmosphere: You Can???t Imagine How Much Fun We???re Having
    9. Juelz Santana: What the Game???s Been Missing
    10. Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings: Naturally

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I have deep knowledge of argentinian hip hop

• I bought less albums than ever this year, and stopped DLing.

1: Cage/Hells Winter (slept on, best album in several years)
    2: Atmosphere/You Cant Imagine How Much Fun We???re Having (great return to form)
    3: Handsome Boy Modelling School/White People
    4:Common/Be (scraping the bottom of the barrel now, its not been a great year).
    5: Kanye West/Late Registration.

Hope I forgot something, that???s not a great top 5 but best I can think of.

• I bought less albums than ever this year, and stopped DLing.

1: Cage/Hells Winter (slept on, best album in several years)
    2: Atmosphere/You Cant Imagine How Much Fun We???re Having (great return to form)
    3: Handsome Boy Modelling School/White People
    4:Common/Be (scraping the bottom of the barrel now, its not been a great year).
    5: Kanye West/Late Registration.

Hope I forgot something, that???s not a great top 5 but best I can think of.

Ahh I forgot Edan..Stick him at number 3.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I did not really like ANY hip-hop albums this year. A few singles, but I did not hear a SOLID lp from any artist.

• 10. Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings: Naturally

Inclusion is

As for Faux' preemptive strike against Little Brother, has anyone actually professed to being an avid fan of theirs or is this strictly straw man business?

Not feeling Atmosphere I can understand, but Zion I?

10. Sharon Jones and
    the Dap-Kings: Naturally

• man, this year kinda sucked as far as hip hop releases, didn't it?

yeah, it's not a hip-hop album but I just plucked my Top 10 off an email and didn't think to remix it. Is there even a point in talking about a #10 hip hop album in a year like this?

Inclusion is

As for Faux' preemptive strike against Little Brother, has anyone actually prof
    essed to being an avid fan of theirs or is this strictly straw man business?

man, this year kinda sucked as far as hip hop releases, didn't it?

And this would be different from previous years, how?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    spill forth.

Why are you kind to me?
    You could so easily take me in your arms and see
    A donkey

Easily. The. Best.

So necessary. No other way to describe it except - in the words of the artist - "round and firm and funny." Wyaoming?[/b] . . . this kind of belly-speak marks a rare moment of self-revelation is another way of saying "maturity." GET ON HIS LEVEL.

There's a very funny story about W.O.'s involvement with the autoharp during his tour with Bj*rk...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Easily. The. Best.

Put me down.

• yeah, it's not a hip-hop album but I just plucked my Top 10 off an email and didn't think to remix it. Is there even a point in talking about a #10 hip hop album in a year like this?

Inclusion is

As for Faux' preemptive strike against Little Brother, has anyone actually prof
    essed to being an avid fan of theirs or is this strictly straw man business?

Nah, you're right. 2005 was weaksauce. The biggest surprise to me is no one has mentioned MF Doom yet, either + or -

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Nah, you're right. 2005 was weaksauce. The biggest surprise to me is no one has mentioned MF Doom yet, either + or -

I don't even recall him doing anything which is strange because he probably put out like 8 lps

• My Top 10 in ranked order:

1. Kanye West: Late Registration Come on, this qualifies for #1 hip-hop album of the year?? Maybe #5 or 6.[/b]
    2. Edan: Beauty and the Beat not my thing but people swear by it so I'll let it be[/b]
    3. Beanie Siegel: The B.Comingok[/b]
    4. Quasimoto: The Further Adventures of Lord QuasShoulda been #1 to me.... seriously though, most thorough complete end-to-end listen to come out this year IMO. And that is fucking pitiful, that a joke LP that is fun and kooky but not really a serious statement could be that much better than anything else.[/b]
    5. The Game: The Documentary ok[/b]
    6. Zion I: True and Livin???straight poptartism.[/b] [color:pink][faux]I haven't heard it though.[/rillz][/color]
    7. Young Jeezy: Let???s Get It On: Thug Motivation 101OK, but this album also kinda sucks[/b]
    8. Atmosphere: You Can???t Imagine How Much Fun We???re Having straight poptartism.[/b] [color:pink][faux]I haven't heard it though.[/rillz][/color]
    9. Juelz Santana: What the Game???s Been Missing God, has it come to this? Three-four good songs = top ten album? Sad shit. And I love Juelz. But damn, this is an average record.[/b]

Explain your criteria! hip-hop album?[/b]

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    hmmm... i wish someone would list some nominees, cause i don't recall too many...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Can't listen to either one all the way through - but let's be honest - when's the last time you could really do that since 94?

Truth be told I never even listened to him once. So I hat.

Not feeling Atmosphere I can understand, but Zion I?

10. Sharon Jones and
    the Dap-Kings: Naturally

Ok doggie, where's your top 10?

1. Kanye West: Late Registration Come on, this qualifies for #1 hip-hop album of the year?? Maybe #5 or 6.[/b]
    2. Edan: Beauty and the Beat not my thing but people swear by it so I'll let it be[/b]
    3. Beanie Siegel: The B.Comingok[/b]
    4. Quasimoto: The Further Adventures of Lord QuasShoulda been #1 to me.... seriously though, most thorough complete end-to-end listen to come out this year IMO. And that is fucking pitiful, that a joke LP that is fun and kooky but not really a serious statement could be that much better than anything else.[/b]
    5. The Game: The Documentary ok[/b]
    6. Zion I: True and Livin???straight poptartism.[/b] [color:pink][faux]I haven't heard it though.[/rillz][/color]
    7. Young Jeezy: Let???s Get It On: Thug Motivation 101OK, but this album also kinda sucks[/b]
    8. Atmosphere: You Can???t Imagine How Much Fun We???re Having straight poptartism.[/b] [color:pink][faux]I haven't heard it though.[/rillz][/color]
    9. Juelz Santana: What the Game???s Been Missing God, has it come to this? Three-four good songs = top ten album? Sad shit. And I love Juelz. But damn, this is an average record.[/b]

Explain your criteria! hip-hop album?[/b]

• man, this year kinda sucked as far as hip hop releases, didn't it?

And this would be different from previous years, how?
    well last year had a few albums that got a lot of rotation from myself (pretty toney, r&g, jada's album), whereas this year, after seeing some of the lists so far, i can only pick out like 2 or 3 albums that were even decent... but yeah, i think we can all agree the days of consistently dope lp's are over.

• or

Stay Fly was far and above the best song on 'Most Known Unknown,' however.

• why are you guys even fucking trying? give up. rap music is fucking retarded. dudes with alligators on leashes and shit. come the fuck on.

• Ok doggie, where's your top 10?
    i honestly can't even think of 10 albums that were released this year that i enjoyed.