Hip-Hop Albums of the Year Thread

Comments

• Does stuff like this qualify as a hip-hop album?

• co- on Edan and Quasimoto.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    why are you guys even fucking trying? give up. rap music is fucking retarded. dudes with alligators on leashes and shit. come the fuck on.

Dude, alligators on leashes and shit is pretty hot. What, you prefer bull nose rings and kente cloth again? Take that shit to x-clan.com.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I can barely fill a top 5.

Edan's
    Blueprint's
    Slum Village's
    Kanye's
    ???'s

I've really been bumping local indie releases, like Black Milk of Br Gunna's (Slum Village's current main producer) Sound of the City album.

• oliver, shut the fuck up.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    "Back Like Cooked Crack 2" is better than "What The Game's Been Missing." In fact, most mixtapes I've purchased this year have been better than official releases.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    this is sad

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

I've really been bumping local indie releases, like Black Milk of Br Gunna's (Slum Village's current main producer) Sound of the City album.

I got some BR Gunna ep and the only beat I liked was the brief intro. Am I missing something?

• nothings really fucking with kanye this year.
    i think bun b-trill is my number 2 pick.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• nothings really fucking with kanye this year.
    i think bun b-trill is my number 2 pick.
    i mean, ain't like the album's a masterpiece, there just isn't any competition.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

I got some BR Gunna ep and the only beat I liked was the brief intro. Am I missing something?
    BR Gunna as a group has put out two CDs. They're more mixtapes than anything. Black Milk's solo is that deal though.

If you're another hatter of the Detroit sound, then yes, but you can stay on your part of the planet. It's not for everyone.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    rap music is fucking retarded. dudes with alligators on leashes and shit.

It looks like he's choking it to death.

• SweenDog?

And to J's question:

Does stuff like this qualify as a hip-hop album?

If it doesn't, then plaese dead this thread. That shit is most definitely top 10.

• Ok doggie, where's your top 10?

My Top 10 in ranked order:

1. Kanye West: Late Registration Come on, this qualifies for #1 hip-hop album of the year?? Maybe #5 or 6.[/b]

2. Edan: Beauty and the Beat not my thing but people swear by it so I'll let it be[/b]

3. Beanie Siegel: The B.Comingok[/b]

4. Quasimoto: The Further Adventures of Lord QuasShoulda been #1 to me.... seriously though, most thorough complete end-to-end listen to come out this year IMO. And that is fucking pitiful, that a joke LP that is fun and kooky but not really a serious statement could be that much better than anything else.[/b]

5. The Game: The Documentary ok[/b]

6. Zion I: True and Livin???straight poptartism.[/b] [color:pink][faux]I haven't heard it though.[/rillz][/color]

7. Young Jeezy: Let???s Get It On: Thug Motivation 101OK, but this album also kinda sucks[/b]

8. Atmosphere: You Can???t Imagine How Much Fun We???re Having straight poptartism.[/b] [color:pink][faux]I haven't heard it though.[/rillz][/color]

9. Juelz Santana: What the Game???s Been Missing God, has it come to this? Three-four good songs = top ten album? Sad shit. And I love Juelz. But damn, this is an average record.[/b]

10. Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings: Naturally

Explain your criteria! hip-hop album?[/b]

Read the comments hus...

I really don't have time to weigh these all out but you're looking real lost without these records:

Lil Wayne LP

Slim Thug LP

Bun-B Trill LP

TI LP (not as good as I wanted it to be but better than a lot of shit listed here)

The Massacre (come on, 4 smash singles? Sure, there's lots of poptartism on that record but some serious heatery too. If we're rating LPs with only 3-4 good cuts...)

Turf Talk Brings The Hood Calabilation

3-6 Mafia Most Known Unknown

Purp Allstars

I mean dude, I can really only cosign the Beanie LP, Kanye (half a good LP, but I guess throw it in there for the fuck of it), The Quasimoto LP (which has got to be the most solid, end to end record out this year... sad, but true...)... and the Game, I guess... it's a solid record, he sucks but whatever, other than that... jeezy and juelz have about 3 songs each of solid fire, the rest is forgettable.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    rap music is fucking retarded. dudes with alligators on leashes and shit.

It looks like he's choking it to death.

I'm saying there are a lot of Aligators in the Bay.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

1. Edan: Beauty and the Beat
    2. Kanye West: Late Registration

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

BR Gunna as a group has put out two CDs. They're more mixtapes than anything. Black Milk's solo is that deal though.

If you're another hatter of the Detroit sound, then yes, but you can stay on your part of the planet. It's not for everyone.

No hating, I like plenty of Dilla, some PPP, etc. I just have not heard much by BR Gunna.

BTW, did you used to post on the weightless boards? I perused them somewhat regularly a few years back and thought there was a gambit there.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    BLACK PANTS BROWN SHOES[/b]

Shouldn't that say it all?

oliver, shut the fuck up.

Lil Wayne LP

I didn't know this was out until last night

TI LP (not as good as I wanted it to be but better than a lot of shit listed here)

2004 release

The Massacre (come on, 4 smash singles? Sure, there's lots of poptartism on that record but some serious heatery too. If we're rating LPs with only 3-4 good cuts...)

I still haven't been able to put on a disc that contains those limp singles...

Purp Allstars

Surprisingly dope!

Anybody heard the B.G. album that came out this year?? Curious...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't think we've had one of these yet, which is odd, since usually some little dude tries to start one before all of the big fourth quarter releases are even out.

Oh, and don't even try coming into my thread tawnbout Little Brother... matter of fact, I think I'm gonna give you Little Brother fans your own thread within which to let the contents of your private mind gardens spill forth.

This is an amazing opener. You start a hip hop album of the year thread, don't even list a hip hop album, and then make fun of people's prospective choices...I can tell this is going to be a good thread.

Get yourself a wetnap, dude; I had to go bust some real world moves for a minute.

The Game The Documentary (No thanks to the Game; you could've replaced him with just about anyone and the album wouldn't have suffered)

Beanie Sigel The B.Coming (For all you dudes complaining that this record was one-dimensional or only showcased one side of Beanie or whatever--did you really feel the absence of his attempts at club tracks that much?)

Slim Thug Already Platinum (Not really a Houston album, but still the best official album to come out of Houston this year)

Kanye West Late Registration (I don't care--stuff it you poptarts)

Young Jeezy Thug Motivation 101

Three-6 Mafia Most Unknown Unknown

Bub B Trill (Yes, it was disappointing, but it's still a lot better than some of you hatters are willing to acknowledge)

Juelz Santana What The Game's Been Missing (Yes, I have all the mixtape schitt)

Li'l Wayne The Carter II

Ying Yang Twins U.S.A. (I'm kind of reaching for a tenth album here, but this record was surprisingly good)

1. Edan: Beauty and the Beat
    2. Kanye West: Late Registration

Take that schitt to the Little Brother thread, son.

Ying Yang Twins U.S.A. (I'm kind of reaching for a tenth album here, but this record was surprisingly good)

Agreed. The production was especially impressive even though I'm not a big crunk fan.

I thought the GRODT soundtrack was a little better...

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I don't think we've had one of these yet, which is odd, since usually some little dude tries to start one before all of the big fourth quarter releases are even out.

Oh, and don't even try coming into my thread tawnbout Little Brother... matter of fact, I think I'm gonna give you Little Brother fans your own thread within which to let the contents of your private mind gardens spill forth.

This is an amazing opener. You start a hip hop album of the year thread, don't even list a hip hop album, and then make fun of people's prospective choices...I can tell this is going to be a good thread.

Get yourself a wetnap, dude; I had to go bust some real world moves for a minute there.

The Game The Doucmentary (No thanks to the Game; you could've replaced him with just about anyone and the album wouldn't have suffered)

Beanie Sigel The B.Coming (For all you dudes complaining that this record was one-dimensional or only showcased one side of Beanie or whatever--did you really feel the absence of his attempts at club tracks that much?)

Slim Thug Already Platinum (Not really a Houston album, but still the best official album to come out of Houston this year)

Kanye West Late Registration (I don't care--stuff it you poptarts)

Young Jeezy Thug Motivation 101

Three-6 Mafia Most Unknown Unknown

Bub B Trill (Yes, it was disappointing, but it's still a lot better than some of you hatters are willing to acknowledge)

Juelz Santana What The Game's Been Missing (Yes, I have all the mixtape schitt)

Li'l Wayne The Carter II

This is the best 10 yet. I haven't heard the Lil Wayne yet, but hopefully its on some Hey DJ type levels. If so it should be top 5 of the year. I would replace Ying Yang Twins with something. Maybe Missy, mostly for the Rich Harrison track because most of the lp sucked. Maybe Edan, it was solid.

I thought the GRODT soundtrack was a little better...

I like Hustler's Ambition and Window Shopper's okay, I'm gonna give this LP a shot

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

SweenDog?

Yea.
    You should
    Hear him spit.
    Pure fucking venom.
    Long Island Truthspeaker.

• Slim Thug Already Platinum (Not really a Houston album, but still the best official album to come out of Houston this year)

Seriously? Man, this album was very disappointing to me. I thought Paul Wall's album was much better, but still nowhere near as good as Chick Magnet.