Hip-Hop Albums of the Year Thread

Comments

• I will admit to not being a huge Z-Ro fan... Archaic swore that his tape with Rapid Ric would convert me, but I don't think I've ever been able to get all the way through it. It just sounded like fake Tupac to me (who I know you are not a fan of).

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who think he sounds like a fake 'Pac half the time.

But "The Mule" with Devin is a great song.

You're not welcome down here anymore.

Why? Because you're not (pause) feelin' "The Mule"?

• I haaaaaaaaardly listened to hip hop this year. But:

1. Maker - Shooting the breeze
    2. Edan - Beauty & The Beat
    3. Common - Be
    4. Teriyaki Boyz - Beef or Chicken
    5. Kanye West Late Registration

- spidey

Wow, Maker is one of my close homies. I'll let him know he made it on someones top of the year list.

Word, "Mango Lassi" is that ish.

Which reminds me, Koushik's EP was rill nice.

I have no idea what you dudes are talking about, but I have a strong sense that it belongs in the Little Brother thread.

yes koushik is a terds throw artist

I was talking about Maker, and it looks like Faux rilly meant best RAP lp of the year.

- spidey

OH SHIT! Hip-Hop versus rap. DISCUSS

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I haaaaaaaaardly listened to hip hop this year. But:

3. Common - Be

- spidey

Wow, Maker is one of my close homies. I'll let him know he made it on someones top of the year list.

I have no idea what you dudes are talking about, but I have a strong sense that it belongs in the Little Brother thread.

I was talking about Maker, and it looks like Faux rilly meant best RAP lp of the year.

- spidey

"$5000 Loveseat Outtahere!!![/b]

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I haaaaaaaaardly listened to hip hop this year. But:

3. Common - Be

- spidey

Koushik is really dope. And super cool kid. He also posts on here occasionally.

Don't hate.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is in no special order,just a list of hip hop albums I LIKED!!! this year.

1.The Black Market Militia - s/t.
    2.David Banner - Certified.
    3.50 Cent - The Massacre.
    4.Kanye West - Late Registration.
    5.Diplomats & DukeDaGod Presents - More Than Music Vol 1.
    6.Tony Yayo - Thought of a predicate felon.
    7.Sean Price - Monkey Bars.
    8.DJ Muggs vs GZA - Grandmasters.
    9.Pimp C - The Sweet James Jones Stories.
    10.Think Differently Music - Wu Tang Meets The Indie Culture.
    11.Lil Wayne - Carter 2
    12.Get Rich Or Die Trying - Soundtrack

I was wondering when someone would mention the Banner album. On the whole, it's been a better year for mixtapes than albums. Some favourites of mine;

Banner
    Beans
    Kanye
    Kano (token Brit)
    Frayser Boy
    Z-Ro

Honourable mentions;
    Jim Jones
    Three Six Mafia

That's about it. The first three on that list are probably my actual favourites. The Kano album was a nice surprise, as were the Frayser Boy & Z-Ro albums. Jim Jones & Three Six are intermittently good, but I haven't really played either to death. Not heard Juelz, Lil Wayne or Bun B, but I plan on scooping the Juelz & Lil Wayne this weekend. Dangerdoom is alright. It's enjoyable enough, but I can't say I went nuts over it or anything.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I will admit to not being a huge Z-Ro fan... Archaic swore that his tape with Rapid Ric would convert me, but I don't think I've ever been able to get all the way through it. It just sounded like fake Tupac to me (who I know you are not a fan of).

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who think he sounds like a fake 'Pac half the time.

You're not welcome down here anymore.

Why? Because you're not (pause) feelin' "The Mule"?

I personally "hit em with the mule" all the time. They're definitely feeling "the mule" if it's coming from me.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    lady sov's ep was the best hip hop AND rap release this year

discuss

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    lady sov's ep was the best hip hop AND rap release this year

discuss

Dude.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    The thing I really like about this thread is that it is really 'up' and there's lots of knowledge being dropped. It is exactly why soulstrut should talk about rap, always.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

after "stay fly" this was my favorite song of the year.

even though i have not jammed too many full albums this year, here are my two pennies..

1. kanye
    2. Jeezy
    3. Slim Thug (if only i could combine the best of the prelim ablum with the final)
    4. Bun B (i am a cheerleader though...a lot of holes in this album i am willing to look over).
    5. three six

maybe a few others, i didn't really partake in much backpack rap this year so i can't cosig on a few previously mentioned.

2005 = much better year for the mixtape deejay

The only new album I remember downloading and actually listening to this year was the geto boys one, and even then i really only listened to the same 4 songs over and over and over and over again.

I saw a little wayne video and it actually looked like a parody. HJ thought it was joke, like one of those MTV comedy shows like Andy Milonakis or whatever. and I was like "no, i think this is actually real". And I actually sat through the whole thing without flipping the channel for some reason. And when it was over I was trying to remember if this was one of those guys that the soulstrut I LOVE GENIUS BLACK MUSIC FROM THE HOOD white folks were all calling fantastic, and I couldn't really remember, but it was so awful that I figured that yes, SS must be on this dudes nuts. no offense. But anyways, part of me wanted really bad to laugh, but I just couldn't. I just stared at it and couldn't even laugh.

Same thing when I saw some video this weekend that about teeth. and there were these people with shit in their teeth, i beleive it was called an Ice Grill, and I would have actually SWORE up and down that this HAD to be a parody, but deep in the bottom of my heart, so deep in fact that it was touching my ass, I knew it was real. And part of my was glad that it wasn't a parody, because if it was it would be the most racist thing I had ever seen, but instead it was real, and I don't know how to feel about that one. I think part of me wishes that it was some racist ass parody against black people, becuase at least I would be able to comprehend that, you know, like... understand what the point was. It was as alien to me as goth shit, which always kinda seemed like a parody to me too. Like when I used to see goth people and I would just be kinda emberassed for them, but then at the same time I would say to myself "god you guys are gay." well, thats pretty much how i felt when I watched that teeth video.

I feel safe in posting this because I am aware that most people won't actually read the whole thing, so its ok if its kinda dumb.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    don't you say mean things about lil wayne

• at what point do you say, "you know what? I don't deserve to make hip-hop anymore"?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The only new album I remember downloading and actually listening to this year was the geto boys one, and even then i really only listened to the same 4 songs over and over and over and over again.

I saw a little wayne video and it actually looked like a parody. HJ thought it was joke, like one of those MTV comedy shows like Andy Milonakis or whatever. and I was like "no, i think this is actually real". And I actually sat through the whole thing without flipping the channel for some reason. And when it was over I was trying to remember if this was one of those guys that the soulstrut I LOVE GENIUS BLACK MUSIC FROM THE HOOD white folks were all calling fantastic, and I couldn't really remember, but it was so awful that I figured that yes, SS must be on this dudes nuts. no offense. But anyways, part of me wanted really bad to laugh, but I just couldn't. I just stared at it and couldn't even laugh.

Same thing when I saw some video this weekend that about teeth. and there were these people with shit in their teeth, i beleive it was called an Ice Grill, and I would have actually SWORE up and down that this HAD to be a parody, but deep in the bottom of my heart, so deep in fact that it was touching my ass, I knew it was real. And part of my was glad that it wasn't a parody, because if it was it would be the most racist thing I had ever seen, but instead it was real, and I don't know how to feel about that one. I think part of me wishes that it was some racist ass parody against black people, becuase at least I would be able to comprehend that, you know, like... understand what the point was. It was as alien to me as goth shit, which always kinda seemed like a parody to me too. Like when I used to see goth people and I would just be kinda emberassed for them, but then at the same time I would say to myself "god you guys are gay." well, thats pretty much how i felt when I watched that teeth video.

I feel safe in posting this because I am aware that most people won't actually read the whole thing, so its ok if its kinda dumb.

at what point do you say, "you know what? I don't deserve to make hip-hop anymore"?

Are you asking me??? Becuase I thought there was an online quiz for that. Its free, but there is a lot of pop ups.

at what point do you way "you know what? I don't deserve to make hip hop in the first place".

at what point does uncle ben not deserve to make rice? it's actually pretty popular in china i heard.

at what point does a drunk say "I don't deserve to make an ass out of myself anymore?"

I don't know, but I'll tell you when I get there.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dizzy doesnt like hip hop anymore, so its okay for him to say that shit. I am wondering however why he posted in this thread without giving any examples of shit that he liked this year. Thats a hatter move.

The thing I really like about this thread is that it is really 'up' and there's lots of knowledge being dropped. It is exactly why soulstrut should talk about rap, always.

Also, I believe that we must now DEMAND a list from this guy. Because its CLEAR to me that HE knows whats rilly and we are all little dudes in his presence.

• at what point do you say, "you know what? I don't deserve to make hip-hop anymore"?

Are you asking me??? Becuase I thought there was an online quiz for that. Its free, but there is a lot of pop ups.

at what point do you way "you know what? I don't deserve to make hip hop in the first place".

at what point does uncle ben not deserve to make rice? it's actually pretty popular in china i heard.

at what point does a drunk say "I don't deserve to make an ass out of myself anymore?"

When you rate 2 Live Crew over Lil Wayne, I know something's wrong! But then again, you listen to Bert Kaempfert. I thought it was a parody at first, but then I was like "wait. he actually, seriously listens to bert kaempfert."

Dizzy doesnt like hip hop anymore, so its okay for him to say that shit. I am wondering however why he posted in this thread without giving any examples of shit that he liked this year. Thats a hatter move.

no way dude, I said I liked the Geto Boys album. And I've been stuck in meetings pretty much all day, so pardon me if I ramble, but after 3 years I would assume you old bastards would be used to it by now.

Easily. The. Best.

Put me down.

p.s. what is this? Should i check for it? Really? or am i missing a soulstrut in joke here.

at what point do you say, "you know what? I don't deserve to make hip-hop anymore"?

When you rate 2 Live Crew over Lil Wayne, I know something's wrong! But then again, you listen to Bert Kaempfert. I thought it was a parody at first, but then I was like "wait. he actually, seriously listens to bert kaempfert."

Actually at first it was kinda a joke. But it woke up the inner white guy demon inside of me and I have been consumed by the flames of blandness and camp.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if you like the geto boys you should like lil wayne

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I was trying to remember if this was one of those guys that the soulstrut I LOVE GENIUS BLACK MUSIC FROM THE HOOD white folks were all calling fantastic, and I couldn't really remember, but it was so awful that I figured that yes, SS must be on this dudes nuts.

But how do the Jay-Z fans REALLY feel about his appropriation of the style & flow?

no way dude, I said I liked the Geto Boys album. And I've been stuck in meetings pretty much all day, so pardon me if I ramble, but after 3 years I would assume you old bastards would be used to it by now.

I am totally used to it dizzy. I am happy to hear that you liked something.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

Also, I believe that we must now DEMAND a list from this guy. Because its CLEAR to me that HE knows whats rilly and we are all little dudes in his presence.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

Do you think posting jpegs and graemlins will get you out of posting your list? It wont. So dont try to google search battle me, just post your reccomendations guy.

Still waiting......

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    waiting ...