Hip-Hop Albums of the Year Thread

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Gorrilaz - Demon Days might as well count as a hip hop LP. Has De La and dude from Pharcyde on it, probably got less MTV play than pop music by Ying Yang Twins, 50 Cent etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, so why not.
    Some nice mixtapes I heard downloaded. Mixtapes way fwd - ignore copyright, ignore MTV playlist suitability. Maintain artistic integr'ty. Probably lots of good hip hop come out on CDR this year.. any suggestions for dl?

Wow... really stuck on the whole 'integrity' thing yet somehow Gorillaz is pure rap in your book while Ying Yang and 50 are pop?? Thats fucked, dude.

I believe it's spelled "integr'ty"--I'm also very interested in this ethic of rewarding mixtape artists that maintain their "integr'ty" by downloading--rather than purchasing--their work.

• Not sure how I forgot this or how barely anyone else has mentioned this - but for real....

Dude. This was not good.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

can't listen to too many instrumental albums straight through, and i dont know, i guess im just happy that dude rebounded from the reaction to his politiks project.

excerpt from itsrumental liner notes;

"Itstrumental you might ask! Yes...In the midst of depression, confusion and other types of inner turmoil I was asked to make an instrumental album. With no budget and limited resources (and a pile of useless tracks spanning from the 80's to the millenium) I was set on my mission...I even tried to play all live instruments on "Live @ 5" (yeah, I know, a feeble attempt but hey, its my album right)"

I dont know, that just made it more personal for me, like he put his soul into it, and you dont get that vibe with many albums today (especially with multiple producers), so thats what i felt most for 2005, also liked the edan album i think was this year...on the rock tip, I felt that Arcade Fire album was a very consistent listen(i think it was 2005)

oh and best cover art this year, hands down

• Omega Watts

whats it like?

I think the wife is going to buy me it for Christmas on recommendation from record shop dude.

• It's a fuckin sick album. Lyrically & beat wise. Dude has a brain & skills.
    He hooked up heaps of people from crews like The Rebirth, Breakestra, etc.. to bangout drums, horns & the like & he then sampled them & made killer tracks..
    Ignore the hatters here...

• It's a fuckin sick album. Lyrically & beat wise. Dude has a brain & skills.
    He hooked up heaps of people from crews like The Rebirth, Breakestra, etc.. to bangout drums, horns & the like & he then sampled them & made killer tracks..
    Ignore the hatters here...

really? I was pretty dissapointed by it. The single w/ the Quantic Remix and Surpise Rhyme Cypher w/ Lightheaded had my hopes high, but I just got bored and was kinda like "meh". There are some good songs, and he's definetly a good producer who's a good rapper but to me it's not the album that people are saying it is.

• I guess I would say it's one of those albums that probably works best as separate tracks. Some people call them 12" singles artists. But when they were all put together it can become overwhelming...for some.

One of the best sellers in our shop. Easily. Mostly on vinyl as well.

• Dude has a brain & skills.

Is the implication here that those other rappers don't have brains?

And rapping about rapping = skills?

I wanted to like this album, but I wasn't feeling it in the least.

• Yeah I remeber liking "Saturday Night" and Mind Power. Honeslty I heard it once while driving. Me and my boy where pretty much quiet, sitting there and analyzing it.

I'll give it another listen.

Pretty much, to anybody that still uses the word "skills" with a straight face.

But really, dudes, you know you need to take this to that other thread, right?

• Dude has a brain & skills.

Is the implication here that those other rappers don't have brains?

I wanted to like this album, but I wasn't feeling it in the least.

I'm suprised you even checked it. My how the boy has changed.

*cough*bring it on saturday to record sale*cough*

no "rapping" vs "rappin'" thread plaese

• I'm suprised you even checked it. My how the boy has changed.

Um, his label mailed it to me and then followed up with an email asking for my honest opinion. I began my reply with an apology....

And it was a CD. No waxy, but I'll bring you a care package on Saturday, Cupcake.

• And rapping about rapping = skills?
    He's not rapping about rapping you fool.

I'm a put you on my next J-Zone 'Ignant' Mix tape...

*ahem* The Streets...

• Not sure how I forgot this or how barely anyone else has mentioned this - but for real....

Dude. This was not good.

cosign. what a fucking disappointment. after the first MF Doom (dope), Vik Vaughn (dope), 2nd Vik Vaughn (dope) and King Geddorah (slightly less dope but still good - shouldn't hav let all his boys get up on that), I had high expectations. instead I got this lame crap. was that cute food theme supposed to impress me? was it suppose to camouflage the lack of creativity/lyrical freshness?

• And rapping about rapping = skills?
    He's not rapping about rapping you fool.

I'm a put you on my next J-Zone 'Ignant' Mix tape...

*ahem* The Streets...

Just stay in your hemisphere, Sparky.

• As long as you write for your mag & I write for mine... Agreed?

...but we might all have to leave our hemisphere & come up there one day. After the fact that George refuses to sign the Kyoto principal leaving the hole in the ozone layer to get bigger due to the greenhouse gases via unblanced US consumption...

So save me a bed for the night if poss!

Cheers.
    From down under...
    IP

• album of the year

*cosign on that*

Count Bass and Edan both right up there for me.

Elektro4's Keystroke One also got plenty of spins.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    cosign. what a fucking disappointment. after the first MF Doom (dope), Vik Vaughn (dope), 2nd Vik Vaughn (dope) and King Geddorah (slightly less dope but still good - shouldn't hav let all his boys get up on that), I had high expectations. instead I got this lame crap. was that cute food theme supposed to impress me? was it suppose to camouflage the lack of creativity/lyrical freshness?

I thought both Viktor Vaughn records were WEAK... in fact that was where it started bothering me that it seemed he'd just put out any record to cash in on his fan's dedication... MM FOOD's got some hits though

• I picked up this record last night because of this board -

I love it- thanks gang!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

but what the hell do i know....i like the Little Brother album

Is this really that good? I seem to recall you hatting on their last album...

that last album sucked ass....your "regional bias" influenced your listening

i got it yesterday and its the best dirty south album released this year....Bun B a VERY close second

Slim Thugs underground should have been his official release

The Game had the best overall album this year

Kanye's album was good but played out real fast

i'm beginning to appreciate Jeezy ..but his album is wack to me

i need a serious explaination for all the Little Brother hate..i hate them but the album was good

The bay had a few nice compilations ..but compilations don't count

Chamillionaire was garbation

Paul wall was boring.....but for some reason i couldn't stop playing "internet goin nuts"

Purple Ribbon was all over the place

Three Six Mafia was good but a lot of those songs could have been thrown in the trash

Beanie was an EXCELLENT album

P$C.....the good songs are very good...the bad songs are very bad

Santana...trash

the Massacre grew on me

z-ro....."from the south" was my shit...thats about it

twista...a goddamn shame !!

Quas was dope

and you dudes reppin' that Lil Wayne have issues

i need a serious explaination for all the Little Brother hate..i hate them

Okay?

Chamillionaire was garbation

Listened to it a second time over the weekend... and have to agree.

"Compilations don't count!"

Santana...trash

"Your 'regional bias' influenced your listening"

The Massacre "Candy Shoppe" grew on me

No comment

twista...a goddamn shame !!

Album was straight embarassing

Pure hate... the only thing that stands in the way of this being a "great" rap album is that he should have replaced those grown-and-sexy terds with hurricane/NOLA tribute tracks.

"Compilations don't count!"

Santana...trash

you've been in N.Y too long hommie...sped up samples, "whisper song" interpolations,orchestra horns,and kids on the hook (except that black rob song)ARE PLAYED OUT[/b]

Pure hate... the only thing that stands in the way of this being a "great" rap album is that he should have replaced those grown-and-sexy terds with hurricane/NOLA tribute tracks.

i admit i only listened once....i'll listen again now[/b]

• Santana...trash

you've been in N.Y too long hommie...sped up samples, "whisper song" interpolations,orchestra horns,and kids on the hook (except that black rob song)ARE PLAYED OUT[/b]

New York ain't even really feeling this record.

All you dudes sticking up for this record, I want to see you bumping it in six months. While I continue to listen to his takes on "Straight Up Menace" and "Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangster" and Cooked Crack vol. I & II random freestyles, the only thing on this LP that will be worth coming back to six months from now is "Clockwork"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Santana...trash

New York ain't even really feeling this record.

All you dudes sticking up for this record, I want to see you bumping it in six months. While I continue to listen to his takes on "Straight Up Menace" and "Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangster" and Cooked Crack vol. I & II random freestyles, the only thing on this LP that will be worth coming back to six months from now is "Clockwork"

ok hold up can we get a little respect for "VIOLENCE"?

PUT THE KIDS TO BED!

i admit i only listened once....i'll listen again now[/b]

o'k i'm done.....now it's time for a nap

AVERAGE ... CAN I GET ONE BEAT WITH SOME LIFE

ok hold up can we get a little respect for "VIOLENCE"?

good song....but i had to listen to 19 displays of mediocrity before i got to it

Santana...trash

New York ain't even really feeling this record recognizes that this record lacks a unifying conceptual arc.

• you've been in N.Y too long hommie...sped up samples, "whisper song" interpolations,orchestra horns,and kids on the hook (except that black rob song)ARE PLAYED OUT[/b]

theres people that actually like that blackrob cheerleader song?!? i mean the beat is knocking but the chorus is nervewracking.