Hip-Hop Albums of the Year Thread

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    seriously, this shit blew my fucking mind this year. Love the beats, the lyrics, the MCs. Seek this out, and listen to it.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    seriously, this shit blew my fucking mind this year. Love the beats, the lyrics, the MCs. Seek this out, and listen to it.

i wondered about this one. Though, not enough to buy it.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    No hating, I like plenty of Dilla, some PPP, etc. I just have not heard much by BR Gunna.

BTW, did you used to post on the weightless boards? I perused them somewhat regularly a few years back and thought there was a gambit there.

Yeah, that's me and I'm still there.

Oh, and if you listen to the last two SV albums most of that production is by BR Gunna (Black Milk and Young RJ - son of the RJ from RJ's Arrival). Most people don't dig their new sound for SV, but those young dudes are talented.

But the best joint on the new SV is produced by MoSS... but whatever.

i wondered about this one. Though, not enough to buy it.

download it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The Massacre (come on, 4 smash singles? Sure, there's lots of poptartism on that record but some serious heatery too. If we're rating LPs with only 3-4 good cuts...)

I still haven't been able to put on a disc that contains those limp singles...

I thought the GRODT soundtrack was a little better...

I like Hustler's Ambition and Window Shopper's okay, I'm gonna give this LP a shot

It's pretty good, although me feeling like it was better than Fifty's official album could be a function of lowered expectations.

Only two tracks that are must-skips, though (Yayo's terrible exegesis of just what "fake love" means to him, and a Nate Dogg/Mobb Deep terd called--I am not making this up--"Let's Have a Party") and there were a lot more than that on The Massacre.

Slim Thug Already Platinum (Not really a Houston album, but still the best official album to come out of Houston this year)

Seriously? Man, this album was very disappointing to me. I thought Paul Wall's album was much better, but still nowhere near as good as Chick Magnet.

Paul Wall album = trash

You must just have a thing for white rappers

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've really been bumping local indie releases, like Black Milk of Br Gunna's (Slum Village's current main producer) Sound of the City album.

Me too

"Danger" is that furnace.

Weak year - yes. Hard to make a hit list. Won't risk it.

Slim Thug Already Platinum (Not really a Houston album, but still the best official album to come out of Houston this year)

Seriously? Man, this album was very disappointing to me. I thought Paul Wall's album was much better, but still nowhere near as good as Chick Magnet.

Paul Wall album = trash

I am a Paul wall fan. but that album was garbage there was like 4 good tracks out of the 49 that were on there.

I've really been bumping local indie releases, like Black Milk of Br Gunna's (Slum Village's current main producer) Sound of the City album.

Me too

"Danger" is that furnace.

Weak year - yes. Hard to make a hit list. Won't risk it.

this one good?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Paul Wall album = trash

...of the 49 that were on there. [/b]

This was enough to dissuade me from purchasing it.

• Slim Thug Already Platinum (Not really a Houston album, but still the best official album to come out of Houston this year)

Paul Wall album = trash

You must have a thing for Pharrell's voice.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Geto Boys - The Foundation
    Bun B - Trill
    The Game - Documentary
    J-Zone - Gimme Dat Beat Fool
    DangerDoom - The Mouse and The Mask (wait - does this belong in the Little Brother thread?)
    Wu Tang et al - Think Differently (ha ha - that's right!)

Paul Wall album = trash

Hey, some of us--like me--appreciate Pharrell for his musical abilities, while some of us--like you--appreciate him for his fashion sense.

DangerDoom - The Mouse and The Mask (wait - does this belong in the Little Brother thread?)

Yes--take that schitt to the Reynaldo Rap thread immediately.

• Slim Thug Already Platinum (Not really a Houston album, but still the best official album to come out of Houston this year)

Paul Wall album = trash

Hey, some of us--like me--appreciate Pharrell for his musical abilities, while some of us--like you--appreciate him for his fashion sense.

Don't make me post those pics of you in Ice Cream Mandals. Because you know I will.

Paul Wall album = trash

I celebrate all of his senses.

• in no order

Late Registration
    JamRock
    The Cookbook

I can't really think of any more. This year was not that great. I did like the Zion I but not enough to put it on the best list. Maybe runner up.

• Question:

Do DJ DRAMA mittstapes count as "albums"?

If they do then I will assemble my top ten containing only DJ DRAMA presenting.

on the other hand,

Lil' Wayne -- The Carter II : so unnecessary right now.

He should've just scrapped about 80% of that album and released

an all Hurricane Katrina-themed album.

However, I am aware that he's got to get that Christmas money.

Speaking of which, I don't think that Lil' Flip even came out.

That 12" for "What It Do" ... the rapp is trash, but Mannie Fresh

came big again and the 12 got the instrumental.

The rapping is mostly trash though, once you get used to listening

to the recent Lil Wayne over Mannie Fresh, Flip just sounds like a tard.

Bring back Fre--Fre-Fre-i-i-Fresh!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Y'all are forgetting both Clipse Mixtapes.

-e

-e

Take that schitt to the mixtape thread of the year, son.

Lil' Wayne -- The Carter II : so unnecessary right now.

It's not rap's job to save you, you terd.

Since most of you will never hear this shit unless I post it, heres part of the reason why I think that OL is def. one of the best this year. The whole album is solid.

Outerlimitz - Mountain Lions

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

-e

Take that schitt to the mixtape thread of the year, son.

Fine!

I'm going with Juelz and Beenie as the best two things to come out this year. I really don't understand how Johnny thinks there's only three good songs on that Santana record.

I haven't peeped the Lil Wayne album in its entirety yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't make my top 5. Dude is the best.

When the hell is Freeway dropping?

-e

• I must give paul wall credit for being the first one (to my knowledge) to coin the term "hutlemania" it is such a good description of the rap game that I have never heard it put any better. So sicinct. hip-hop = wrestling

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I haaaaaaaaardly listened to hip hop this year. But:

1. Maker - Shooting the breeze
    2. Edan - Beauty & The Beat
    3. Common - Be
    4. Teriyaki Boyz - Beef or Chicken
    5. Kanye West Late Registration

- spidey

• I really don't understand how Johnny thinks there's only three good songs on that Santana record.

Well, I'm not counting the two songs that have been out for like six months to a year... "Mic Check" and "Whistle Song", both of which I like... other than that... "Clockwork" is the only thing that blew my mind, the song with Jeezy and Weezy is good, Postman is cool, and...................

Maybe I just [emynd]"don't think there's enough to distinguish this sound." [/emynd]

I haaaaaaaaardly listened to hip hop this year. But:

1. Maker - Shooting the breeze
    2. Edan - Beauty & The Beat
    3. Common - Be
    4. Teriyaki Boyz - Beef or Chicken
    5. Kanye West Late Registration

- spidey

Wow, Maker is one of my close homies. I'll let him know he made it on someones top of the year list.

I really don't understand how Johnny thinks there's only three good songs on that Santana record.

Well, I'm not counting the two songs that have been out for like six months to a year... "Mic Check" and "Whistle Song", both of which I like... other than that... "Clockwork" is the only thing that blew my mind, the song with Jeezy and Weezy is good, Postman is cool, and...................

Maybe I just [emynd]"don't think there's enough to distinguish this sound." [/emynd]

The album lacks a unifying conceptual arc.

• Lil' Wayne -- The Carter II : so unnecessary right now.

It's not rap's job to save you, you terd.

Save me? ...save what.

They could save me some time by not releasing redundant records.

You don't know nothing.

You're just sitting around reading the reverse-White-Pages like
    that's gonna do something.

• I really don't understand how Johnny thinks there's only three good songs on that Santana record.

The album lacks a unifying conceptual arc.

The album lacks 10 good songs. I don't live in the hood anymore though, so perhaps I'm just not privy to the "social/historical significance" of this release... maybe that's what I'm missing