Hip-Hop Albums of the Year Thread

Comments

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    1.Kanye West - Late Registration
    2.Slim Thug - Already Platinum
    3.The Game - The Documentary
    4.Common - Be
    5.Ying Yang Twins - USA

Is Pharrell's album still getting released this year?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Maybe I just [emynd]"don't think there's enough to distinguish this sound." [/emynd]

Sucks that my off-the-cuff-small-talk criticism of Bay Area music that I know very little about has prevented you from liking the Santana record. Get off my dillz!

Anyway, hot songs on that album:
    Rumble Young Man Rumble
    Oh Yes
    This is Me
    Lil Boy Fresh
    Gone
    Clock Work
    Make it Work
    Mic Check
    Shottas

Mediocre Songs:
    Kill 'em (w/Cam)
    Whatever you wanna call it
    Gangsta Ish
    I Am Crack
    Whistle Song

Bad songs:
    Murda Murda (this ish is just too over the top, even for dipset)
    Good Times
    Kid is Back
    Changes
    Freaky

Good album!

-e

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I've really been bumping local indie releases, like Black Milk of Br Gunna's (Slum Village's current main producer) Sound of the City album.

Me too

"Danger" is that furnace.

Weak year - yes. Hard to make a hit list. Won't risk it.

this one good?
    I don't know if you'll like it. It's fairly dope though. You can check his stuff on myspace. He has two singles up, plus some joints on his beat CD.

www.myspace.com/blackmk

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    a Nate Dogg/Mobb Deep terd called--I am not making this up--"Let's Have a Party")

Looks like this is the new single!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I haaaaaaaaardly listened to hip hop this year. But:

1. Maker - Shooting the breeze
    2. Edan - Beauty & The Beat
    3. Common - Be
    4. Teriyaki Boyz - Beef or Chicken
    5. Kanye West Late Registration

- spidey

Wow, Maker is one of my close homies. I'll let him know he made it on someones top of the year list.

Word, "Mango Lassi" is that ish.

Which reminds me, Koushik's EP was rill nice.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

3. Common - Be

- spidey

Wow, Maker is one of my close homies. I'll let him know he made it on someones top of the year list.

I have no idea what you dudes are talking about, but I have a strong sense that it belongs in the Little Brother thread.

• I haaaaaaaaardly listened to hip hop this year. But:

3. Common - Be

- spidey

I have no idea what you dudes are talking about, but I have a strong sense that it belongs in the Little Brother thread.

yes koushik is a terds throw artist

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Wasn't a bad album but still probably one of my biggest disappointments of the year.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This is in no special order,just a list of hip hop albums I LIKED!!! this year.

1.The Black Market Militia - s/t.
    2.David Banner - Certified.
    3.50 Cent - The Massacre.
    4.Kanye West - Late Registration.
    5.Diplomats & DukeDaGod Presents - More Than Music Vol 1.
    6.Tony Yayo - Thought of a predicate felon.
    7.Sean Price - Monkey Bars.
    8.DJ Muggs vs GZA - Grandmasters.
    9.Pimp C - The Sweet James Jones Stories.
    10.Think Differently Music - Wu Tang Meets The Indie Culture.
    11.Lil Wayne - Carter 2
    12.Get Rich Or Die Trying - Soundtrack

G-Unit cheerleader

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

G-Unit cheerleader

G-Unit cheerleader

And proud of it.

• Loved It

Kanye West "Late Registration" (i fucks with this album minus the brandy song)
    Game "Documentary" (i know he sucks but its a dope album)

Liked it

GRODT OST (I know I'm biased )
    Slim Thug "Already Platinum" (bootleg version was better though)
    Quasimoto ("Players in the Game" is that slap)
    50 "Massacre" (I'll take 5 good songs on a album these days)
    Beanie Sigel "The Whatever it Was Called" (still not fucking with "the reason" needed more Kanye and Blaze)
    Little Brother "Minstrel Show" (no killer slaps on it but a good consistent effort)

So Bad its Good Songs of the Year

Paul Wall "Got the Innanet Goin Nuts"
    D4L "Laffy Tafffy"
    Whoever does the "I'm Sprung" crap they play on KMEL "I'm feeling hyphy"

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    This is in no special order,just a list of hip hop albums I LIKED!!! this year.

5.Diplomats & DukeDaGod Presents - More Than Music Vol 1.

damn forgot about those.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

so disappointing, this one.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

so disappointing, this one.

that is what I thought at first, and although it could have been better, it really grea on me.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Slim Thug Already Platinum (Not really a Houston album, but still the best official album to come out of Houston this year[/b])

these are the words of someone who hasn't heard the z-ro or geto boys albums.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    No one else is allowed to post in this thread until Planet weighs in.

Slim Thug Already Platinum (Not really a Houston album, but still the best official album to come out of Houston this year[/b])

I will admit to not being a huge Z-Ro fan... Archaic swore that his tape with Rapid Ric would convert me, but I don't think I've ever been able to get all the way through it. It just sounded like fake Tupac to me (who I know you are not a fan of).

I have not heard the Geto Boys album.

• I will admit to not being a huge Z-Ro fan... Archaic swore that his tape with Rapid Ric would convert me, but I don't think I've ever been able to get all the way through it. It just sounded like fake Tupac to me (who I know you are not a fan of).

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who think he sounds like a fake 'Pac half the time.

But "The Mule" with Devin is a great song.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I will admit to not being a huge Z-Ro fan... Archaic swore that his tape with Rapid Ric sould convert me, but I don't think I've ever been able to get all the way through it. It just sounded like fake Tupac to me (who I know you are not a fan of).

that mixtape was pretty boring to me as well. i think it was because ric was trying to position ro as some sort of awesome lyricist or something. while he does have his rewindable moments, i think his strenghts actually lie in his singing/hook writing/concepts and his ability to back these up with always competent and occassionally very dope rapping. you can't really hear that in a collection of 45 16s.

i don't know if i'd call let the truth be told the best houston rap album this year (i think the ashanti fuck faces remake is almost an immediate disqualification actually), but "from the south", "goin' platinum" and "the mule" should make it as much of a contender than any of the post swisha explosion dudes, all of whom thuggga, cham, paul, jones released albums that were letdowns on certain levels.

and, yes, i tend to think his pac-ness is his primary flaw, especially in regards to subject matter.

you really should try to. if you can get past the fact that willie d is pretty awful now, it's real fucking dope.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

When I first got this album, I wasnt really feeling all of it. But right about now its probably the only album Im listening to. That, or his Trap Or Die mixtape, which some have labeled the real classic. In any case, jeezy is the most exiting new rapper to come out this year. YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!.

Solid Effort. But like people said, its really due more to Dre being so good at putting an album together. The beats were out of control. Game was not totally terrible, and 50 had some nice hooks.

Dope Album. Kanye Killed it this year. I have read that street dudes dont like this album, and that its not real hip hop and whatever. Its a great record. Really. If you dont like it now, you probably will in 5 years time.

Here we go. Id put this as tied with the OST album. Both are worth getting, even if they have some wack tracks on there. Massacre had enough good ones though. Ski mask way, this is 50, position of power, and a couple others to drown out the crappy singles. The soundtrack is nice too. Jakes cut was a banger, also that song what if, and when it rains. Even though I got real sick of seeing dudes face this year, he's still talented enough to keep me listening.

Even though I just got the Carter 2, i can already tell Weezie is killing it still. Im gonna put him up there just cause ive really enjoyed his contributions this year.

[/img]

Albums 6-10 on my list are all YOUNG JEEZY THUG MOTIVATION. THAAAATTSSS RIIIGHTTTT!!!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

8.DJ Muggs vs GZA - Grandmasters.

yeah, solid album all the way through*

*not including stupid chess interludes, but almost all interludes suck nowadays

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The Juelz album is much better than you guys are giving it credit for but it ain't touching Tha Carter II. My list right now would probably be something like:

1. Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter II
    2. Beanie Sigel - The B.Coming
    3. Juelz Santana - What the Games Been Missing
    4. That Umbrella shit
    5. Bun B - Trill

4. That Umbrella shit

What's that?

• quaz was a major dissapointment.
    paul wall's rekkid is good but it really could be anyone rapping on there.
    az-just really like his style. only heard it once during a session but I thought it was real good.
    common, BE and Faithful are hightlites for me.
    edan.
    kanye.
    bun b.
    I caught the new lil wayne viddie on cable the other day. didnt do too much for me but I'm curious about the rest of the album. I like how Ipods are thee new hood accesories.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I will admit to not being a huge Z-Ro fan... Archaic swore that his tape with Rapid Ric would convert me, but I don't think I've ever been able to get all the way through it. It just sounded like fake Tupac to me[/b] (who I know you are not a fan of).

Blasphemy!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I will admit to not being a huge Z-Ro fan... Archaic swore that his tape with Rapid Ric would convert me, but I don't think I've ever been able to get all the way through it. It just sounded like fake Tupac to me (who I know you are not a fan of).

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who think he sounds like a fake 'Pac half the time.

But "The Mule" with Devin is a great song.

You're not welcome down here anymore.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

3. Common - Be

- spidey

yes koushik is a terds throw artist

I was talking about Maker, and it looks like Faux rilly meant best RAP lp of the year.

- spidey