FIVE VENOMS appreciation (kung fu related)...

Comments

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    It's a damn shame Celestial doesn't release the english dubs on the remastered releases.
    (Or do they?........all the remasters that I've come across never had them)

Don't get me wrong though, I definately appriciate the original lanuages......BUT NO ENGLISH DUB??????

It is a shame. I agree.
    I live for the old school english dubs.
    As a movie head in general I prefer to watch films in their OG language, whatever that may be.
    That goes for everything BUT my Shaw Brothers joints (and just about any kung fu flick made up until the early 80's).
    It's actually a chore for me to watch a Shaw flick without the dub.

However, ya gotta remember that Celestial is based in Asia and therefore their primary market is going to be chinese speaking countries.
    It's also smart business sense for Celestial NOT to include the english dubs on their discs.
    That way, they have a lot more ammo when it comes time to sell their titles to overseas labels (like Image, Dragon Dynasty, etc.).

But yeah, anyway I can see/hear these dubs I'm all for it.
    These are just a FEW of the ultimate 's as far as english dubbed Shaws that a few of us have been seeking out over the years...

TO KILL A MASTERMIND
    GANGMASTER
    HOUSE OF TRAPS
    KID FROM KWANGTUNG
    TIGRESS FROM SHAOLIN
    BASTARD SWORDSMAN 1 & 2
    HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD
    LADY IS THE BOSS
    CAT VS. RAT
    DISCIPLES OF THE 36TH CHAMBER
    LADY ASSASSIN
    SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD
    LEGEND OF THE FOX
    NEW TALES OF THE FLYING FOX
    ODE TO GALLANTRY
    CRAZY SHAOLIN DISCIPLES
    OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER
    RENDEZVOUS WITH DEATH
    HUMAN LANTERNS
    SOUL OF THE SWORD
    TIGER KILLER
    CLAN FEUDS
    BRAVE ARCHER AND HIS MATE
    LITTLE DRAGON MAIDEN
    MY REBELLIOUS SON
    JUDGEMENT OF AN ASSASSIN
    PROUD TWINS
    HEROES SHED NO TEARS
    SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN
    RETURN OF THE SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN
    PERILS OF THE SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN
    SECRET SERVICE OF THE IMPERIAL COURT
    AMBITIOUS KUNG FU GIRL
    LOVERS BLADES
    FIGHTING FOOL
    YOUNG VAGABOND
    TALES OF A EUNUCH
    SWIFT SWORD
    THE PROUD YOUTH

DEADLY BREAKING SWORD (Found!! A dub was discovered in the Library of Congress last year and will be added to the Image DVD release this fall)

okay i think i'm totally straight. I don't think i caught he was playing the nephew now.

Just to clarify...
    He's not actually the nephew.. I said that to make it easier to explain.
    The two guys at the VERY beginning of BRAVE ARCHER 1 were sworn brothers as opposed to real brothers.
    Their sons were supposed to grow up to become sworn brothers too, but got separated pretty much right after birth.
    Years later when Fu Sheng's character (now played by Phillip Kwok) discovers the truth about the Prince and his lineage, he takes the Prince's son (now played by Fu Sheng!) as his own.
    Hypothetically speaking, he's his nephew.
    But on the real real, the kid is just the grandson of Fu Sheng's father's best friend.
    Makes perfect sense right??

• got you paul thanks. You have more patience then someone playing catch with a guy with no arms.

anyways, it's not confusing at all until the character change.

too tired now, but wait until tomorrow when you son me for how dissappointed i was in opium and the kung fu master.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I've seen these recently
    Chinese Boxer
    Return Of The Bastard Swordsman
    New One Armed Swordsman
    I recommend all of them highly.

I downloaded Buddha's Palm and Ode To Gallantry i haven't got the chance to watch them yet.Someone suggest some more classics for my viewing pleasure.
    Keep this thread alive people.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm happy somebody pulled this thread outta mothballs!

I've seen the following lately:

Samurai Wolf I
    Samurai Fiction
    Soul Of The Sword
    Shadowless Sword
    Men From The Monastary
    Golden Swallow
    Hunter In The Dark

They were all kick ass!

Got Ambitious Kung Fu Girl & I liked it. I'm working on Bichumoon later.

peace

h

After nearly two decades of wondering if this movie lived up to the dopeness of it's poster, I'm about to wonder no more.
    I just picked up the DVD of What Price Honesty in C-Town last week and I'm about to throw it in the deck.

Lo Lieh with the eyepath, looks like it's gonna be good.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here is a member over at FS Seeders? Its supposed to be the best asian film torrent site around. Any chances for an invite?

peace

h

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    Any other good titles on Image besides Legendary Weapons? I can get them cheap, its just the titles Ive seen look kinda wack.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Any other good titles on Image besides Legendary Weapons? I can get them cheap, its just the titles Ive seen look kinda wack.

That's a tough one....Basically, without the dubs, you might as well dl the celestial dvd's from bittorrent.

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    Thats what I figured. Usually I just buy the bootlegs from hkflix.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here is a member over at FS Seeders? Its supposed to be the best asian film torrent site around. Any chances for an invite?

peace

h

Better than ADC? I'ma have to get on it.

You might want to hold out for SHAOLIN INTRUDERS and DEADLY BREAKING SWORD later this year, both of which SHOULD have the dubs.
    However, HEAVEN AND HELL which just came out, was supposed to have the dub as well and didn't.
    Image is seriously dropping the ball with their Shaw releases.
    First they picked a bunch of half-ass titles.
    Then, the few dope titles they did have were released without the old school english dubs (with the exception of LEGENDARY WEAPONS), thereby defeating the whole purpose of even releasing these films in the states.
    Ie: you can cop the same exact titles on DVD in chinese w/subs with better looking covers and at signifigantly cheaper prices direct from Celestial/your local chinatown/internet store.
    Fucking idiots.

Not looking good for the future of Shaws on DVD... for old school dub fans at least.
    Dragon Dynasty (Miramax/Tarrantino) seems to be the last hope, with 36th CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN and ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN slated for release next month, apparently dubs/subs and all.
    Hopefully they'll do well and others will follow.
    No longer holding my breath though.

Nice cover art though (despite the notion of QT's name being plastered on every future Shaw release)

• Tito_JesusTito_Jesus 10 Posts

Just finished watching these. Did it in 3weeks. Very dope. But missed some in the beginning of Return of the Condor Heroes where the subtitles changed Guo to Kwok and Yang to Yeung etc. One question: There was first 4 kung fu masters east infidel/heretic, west venom, south emperor and north beggar then five. Who was the central prodigy? Thanks for the ad! Is there more good sb tv-series?

• StewStew 2 Posts
    Hello everyone, I'm a long time fan of Shaw Brotherts movies and supporter of the Celestial remastered DVD's. Being a member of the kung fu fandom board we've put together a petition for Celestial Pictures to release the most sought after titles that are NOT scheduled to be released (i.e To Kill a Mastermind, Lovers Blades and Hong Kong Godfather) If any of you are interested in just signing on and adding comments if you so choose, it would be a significant help in getting these titles and more released. Here's the link:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/celestialsbfilms/

Thanks everyone for your help and tell your friends too.

Jawan

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

After nearly two decades of wondering if this movie lived up to the dopeness of it's poster, I'm about to wonder no more.
    I just picked up the DVD of What Price Honesty in C-Town last week and I'm about to throw it in the deck.

Yo Paul,

So how was it? Worthy of all the praise?

peace

h

• StewStew 2 Posts
    here's a clip from "To Kill A Mastermind"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhrgMG1nCoY

The quality being difficult to make out and understand...THIS IS THE ONLY PRINT AVAILABLE.

• Dragon Dynasty releases of King Boxer, Shaolin Master Killer, and One Armed Swordsman next Tuesday.

36th Chamber has commentary by RZA. Cant wait!

I recently bought "Heaven and Hell" it's funny how they gave Fu Sheng top billin when he's only in 10 minutes of the film,it was ok,its quite different from what i normally would expect from a kung fu movie.

Next up for me "2 Champions Of Shaolin" expecting big things from this.

Dragon Dynasty releases of King Boxer, Shaolin Master Killer, and One Armed Swordsman next Tuesday.

36th Chamber has commentary by RZA. Cant wait!

I acquired a couple of shaw titles on dvd since i last posted.b,121The ones i liked whereb,121b,121Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan.b,121Kiss Of Death (it's more of a Exploitation flick than a Kung Fu one)b,121Heroes Two (Fu Sheng is the man)b,121House Of Trapsb,121b,121These were kinda mediocre to meb,1212 Champions of Shaolinb,121Challenge of the Masters(I just noticed most of the films from this director b,121are Morality plays)b,121b,121This thread has been dormant lets revive it people.b,121Haz i didn't realize you're a Mod over at KFC forums.b,121b,121

• Challenge Of The Masters is noteworthy as it seems to be the first domestic shaw dvd nodody has any real complaints about .b,121b,121My favorite title since this thread started is Killer Constable.

/font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Challenge Of The Masters is noteworthy as it seems to be the first domestic shaw dvd
    nodody has any real complaints about .b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah it's also notable to me for another reason it's the first of the 3 releases so far where the the disc didn't slip off the hub which anchors it to the case,and that's because there was a bonus disc from some company called Fever Dreams that made it stay in place.b,121The other 2 i got were scratched but at least they played b,121Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock needs to change the cheap cases they are using.b,121b,121

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Bump

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    just got my kids into watching flicks like this... operation scorpio, wing chun, etc...

b/w

growing up out here in SF there was a spot in chinatown/north beach called the Pagoda where my dad used to bring me to watch martial arts movies. it closed down YEARS ago but while they had it closed and was renovating, my dad talked his way inside and found a grip of old Shaw Bros posters.

bonus beat: HIIIIYYYYAAAAA!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    jinx74 said:
    just got my kids into watching flicks like this... operation scorpio, wing chun, etc...

b/w

growing up out here in SF there was a spot in chinatown/north beach called the Pagoda where my dad used to bring me to watch martial arts movies. it closed down YEARS ago but while they had it closed and was renovating, my dad talked his way inside and found a grip of old Shaw Bros posters.

bonus beat: HIIIIYYYYAAAAA!

What up with the Shaw posters my man?????????????

I might have to go dumb in this thread tonight.

Damn. Looking over this thread I came across a link that showed A Better Tomorrow (35mm print) was playing today for free. And I missed it... Including a Q&A with Editor Daid Wu

DOR said:
    Damn. Looking over this thread I came across a link that showed A Better Tomorrow (35mm print) was playing today for free. And I missed it... Including a Q&A with Editor Daid Wu

WOW! I saw A Better Tomorrow in the theater once years ago. One of my all time favorite films. I wish the soundtrack was on vinyl. THAT would be crazy!

Big_Chan said:
    DOR said:

WOW! I saw A Better Tomorrow in the theater once years ago. One of my all time favorite films. I wish the soundtrack was on vinyl. THAT would be crazy!

Ended up watching the Blu ray last night to make up for missing the screening.

Completely agree on the soundtrack. So great.