FIVE VENOMS appreciation (kung fu related)...

Comments

• when's opium den and house of traps coming out?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    when's opium den and house of traps coming out?

Is "Opium Den" the same as "Opium And The Kung Fu Master"? if it is kungfucinema.com has the release date as today.

• when's opium den and house of traps coming out?

Is "Opium Den" the same as "Opium And The Kung Fu Master"? if it is kungfucinema.com has the release date as today.

YES! nice.. but it's snowing. Gotta go to the store soon. I'm lucky, i have a local place that sells everythingggggggggggggggg... all the kung fu stuff. Really it's has every movie. Normal stuff, 70's stuff, you name it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm resurrecting this thread its been dormant for too long.

I'm recommending "The South Shaolin Master" the action in it was intense and realistic.

If you like this, you're gonna love Yellow River Fighter.

I just saw Crippled Avengers & it was amazing. I got Bells Of Death up for tonight. I Liked The Lady Assassin. Gonna get Opium & The Kung Fu Master this week. I'm excited for that one.

• I'm resurrecting this thread its been dormant for too long.

I'm recommending "The South Shaolin Master" the action in it was intense and realistic.

If you like this, you're gonna love Yellow River Fighter.

I just saw Crippled Avengers & it was amazing. I got Bells Of Death up for tonight. I Liked The Lady Assassin. Gonna get Opium & The Kung Fu Master this week. I'm excited for that one.

Bells of death is one of my favorites. Let me know what you think. It's defenitely darker then a lot of films. More artsy i guess you could say then your typical channel 5 karate. Great flick though. Post your thoughts.

p.s. I'm the only person in the world that didn't think crippled avengers was the great.

• Gonna get Opium & The Kung Fu Master this week. I'm excited for that one.

Let me tell you something.
    You have absolutely NO idea just how long I've been waiting to see this movie looking like this.
    For over 20 years all we've had was this crappy, shitty 15th generation Korean bootleg tape with cropped off english and korean subtitles. Nosign.
    Thank the heavens.
    Or rather, thank the Celestial Gods!

Opium and the Kung Fu Master was literally one of the last kung fu movies Shaw Brothers ever made and it is a doozy boy. Hooo!!!!

Ti Lung reprises his role as the leader of the 10 Kwangtung Tigers.
    Gets addicted to the opium and loses his kung fu powers, his students and his respect.
    He slowly kicks the habit and trains with his blind sifu (played brilliantly by director and fight designer Tang Chia).
    The film comes full circle when Ti Lung takes revenge on Chen Kuan Tai.
    Nothing too heavy. Definitely not art.
    But SUCH a good kung fu flick.
    The 90 minutes flies by.
    Nuke the popcorn and enjoy.

Side note:

Director Tang Chia only helmed three films in his entire career...
    "Shaolin Prince" (Iron Fingers of Death / The 9th Prince), "Shaolin Intruders" (Battle For Shaolin) and lastly, this.
    It's just a shame Shaws closed down when they did... just when dude was finding his groove.
    The 3 joints he did leave for us are bonafide classics though.
    Cop 'em anyway you can.

• A small question to Paul Nice or anyone that can answer it.
    Which venom's film is it that Lu Feng gets his back broken? i've seen the clip in a
    Tribute vid for him on youtube.

(possible spoiler)

You talking about the scene where the two dudes (Lo Mang and Chiang Sheng) are literally bending him backwards until he snaps?
    That would be "Two Champions of Shaolin" (english dubbed title: "Two Champions of Death").
    I believe it's the only "real" Venom flick without the main venom, Kuo Chui aka Phillip Kwok aka "The Lizard".
    Story goes, him and Lu Feng had a falling out over who got fighting credits on a particular flick and so Kuo dropped out of "2 Champions" (but stayed behind the camera to design the action).
    To compensate, director Chang Cheh persuaded Lu Feng to do the same on "Ode To Gallantry" where Kuo Chui actually played a dual role of twins in that pic.

• My favorite thread..

Recently checked out Shaolin Martial Arts. Not bad.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I saw "Bat Without Wings" last night & thought it was amazing. I don't like Derek Yee, but liked this film. King Hu has been kicking my ass lately. I loved "Raining On The Mountain."

Bells of death is one of my favorites. Let me know what you think. It's defenitely darker then a lot of films. More artsy i guess you could say then your typical channel 5 karate. Great flick though. Post your thoughts.

I just finished watching this that was a bugged out revenge flick.
    The bad guy with the neck twitch it was like he was doing a robot move jutting in and out his neck sporadically crazy ish!!!

I also loved the first sword fight which was showed from a pov shot handheld style as if the camera man was one of the swordsmen fighting the star.
    Its amazing when you think this film was shot in 68 and it still looks fresh today
    All i have to say is Hong Kong film makers OWN ACTION no one does it like them or even close.

I got to recommend "Tai Chi Master" (Jet Li) also
    the action in this is so good its guaranteed to make anyone catch the Kung Fu bug.

Fu flicks of note that i've seen recently
    "Sword Stained With Royal Blood" - There's a scene with venom Philip Kwok taking on a swordsman with a jade hairpin or was it the broken tip of the sword i cant remember exactly,but all the action in the film was .

I'll use these screen captures to show the awesomeness that is
    "Ambitious Kung Fu Girl"

• watched Brave Archer 1-5 again. Good movies but as a whole it's like WHAT THE HELL? I need a cheat sheet to watch this. Wait to totally change the movie on me.

Up next..

Clan Feuds - Defenitely a thumbs up..

Opium and the Kung Fu Master
    Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 1 & 2

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    watched Brave Archer 1-5 again. Good movies but as a whole it's like WHAT THE HELL? I need a cheat sheet to watch this. Wait to totally change the movie on me.

These are adaptations of a supremely popular series of books called LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES, written by Louis Cha, or Jin Yong (dude also wrote SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD, ODE TO GALLANTRY, LEGEND OF A FOX and THE DEER AND THE CAULDRON, which was the source material for both Stephen Chow's ROYAL TRAMP and Gordon Liu's late Shaw flick, TALES OF A EUNUCH).
    The Shaw Bros. version of BRAVE ARCHER "Part 5", LITTLE DRAGON MAIDON, was based on a few chapters from the original book's sequel, RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES, which follows the adventures of the son of Fu Sheng's character in BRAVE ARCHER as a young man.
    Both series have been made into television series countless times.
    Arguably the best versions were the early 80's series from HK-TVB.
    The TVB version of LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES starred Felix Wong the late Barbara Yung and is considered to be one of the best martial arts tv series ever made.
    The RETURN series starred a young Andy Lau and made him a household name.
    Both are now available in DVD box sets with english subtitles and are well worth watching.
    And as TVB was essentially the television arm of Shaw Brothers anyway, it's basically like you're watching a Shaw tv show, with a lot of the same actors, sets, music, and quality of fights.

Both series are highly addictive and they'll definitley help you better understand the world of the BRAVE ARCHER and what goes down in the Shaw films.
    Also, the reason you're like "WHAT THE HELL?" is because you're watching films that have condensed 40 episodes of material into 90+ minutes.
    The original intended audiences for these flicks were expected to be up on the source material in the first place.

Up next..

Clan Feuds - Defenitely a thumbs up..

Opium and the Kung Fu Master
    Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 1 & 2

To make shit even more confusing, Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 1 & 2 are also based on Louis Cha books and take place in the same world as BRAVE ARCHER/CONDOR HEROES but years later.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I was just thinking about pulling these off ADC. I guess I will now.

• I don't know if anyone has noticed but the only Image release so far Ive seen with Eng dubs is Legendary Weapons.

I guess I was under the impression all Image releases would include the dubs.

I'm thinking about buying "Have Sword Will Travel" has anyone seen it is it recommended?

I thought that the titles Image were releasing would've been the better action films but that really isn't the case.I dont really have a problem with the subbed movies i think i'm more focused on the dialogue when i have to read it.
    And to be honest some of the dubbing is a little too quirky sometimes.

Dragon Dynasty(A Miramax company)will be releasing

36th Chamber of Shaolin: Special Collector???s Edition
    King Boxer: Special Collector???s Edition
    The One Armed Swordsman: Special Collector???s Edition
    My Young Auntie: Special Collector???s Edition

I think these dvd's will have a english dub.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    There is a sattilite channel in the UK that is featuring Shaw films on fridays, digitally remastered. The thing that makes em different is that they are english dubbed & the sound of the OG dubs has been cleaned up. These haven't appeared anywhere else. I think the station is called UK gold. If any UK cats could record that for us, it would be MEGA.

• thanks paul.. but what i don't get is why did the main guy change in (part 4 i think) to playing his own pops.. i think Kwok became the kid.

what's up with that?

thanks paul.. but what i don't get is why did the main guy change in (part 4 i think) to playing his own pops.. i think Kwok became the kid.

what's up with that?

Other way around actually.
    In Part 4 (BARVE ARCHER AND HIS MATE), Kuo Chui* (aka "Phillip" Kwok Choi) plays an older Guo Jing, the main character played by Fu Sheng in the previous three films.
    And Fu Sheng in turn plays his "adopted" son (his nephew really), named Yang Guo.
    It's actually part of the RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES sequel which is also what LITTLE DRAGON MAIDON was based on, except that BRAVE ARCHER AND HIS MATE doesn't focus on the Dragon Maidon character at all, and I think we only briefly catch a glimpse of her in her tomb towards the end of the flick.

I agree the casting change is a little confusing and a lot of fans hate it and dismiss this entry altogether.
    But I dug it. Some of the best action in the whole series aside from Part 3, as the Venoms were pretty much at the top of their game at this point and were running the whole show.

I couldn't tell you why they decided to do the switch.
    If I had to guess, it would be that Fu Sheng, who was the big, big star for Shaws at the time, certainly not Kuo Chui, would get more screen/face time this way because the story was centered around the character of Yang Guo and the next generation.
    Also, by this point in the story the character of Guo Jing had really matured with age and is not such an impulsive idiot anymore.
    Don't forget, his girl, Huang Rong, the daughter of Alchemist Huang of Peach Blossom Island was always much smarter than he was... by a country mile!
    It's a little hard for me to picture Fu Sheng playing it straight and mature like that for the whole film.
    His schtick was always the mischievous imp/kid.
    So when you think of it like that, it kinda makes sense.

In LITTLE DRAGON MAIDON, Chen Kuan Tai plays the mature Guo Jing.

EDIT:
    *More info for your cheat sheet...
    The "Lizard Venom" Kuo Chui also played the character "Chuo Pai-tun" in the first three films, before taking over the role of Guo Jing in Part 4 (BRAVE ARCHER AND HIS MATE).
    In the earlier films, he was the crazy old eccentric kung fu master with the white hair who was living as a sort of prisoner on Peach Blossom Island where Fu Sheng found him (Part 1).
    They became sworn brothers and Chuo Pai-tun taught Guo Jing some of his kung fu.
    His story is told in more detail in Part 3, where we learn that he had sired a bastard son who was killed by the Iron Palm clan leader (Lo Mang, aka "The Toad Venom").

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    I'm thinking about buying "Have Sword Will Travel" has anyone seen it is it recommended?

Quality movie. Highly recommended. I like Ti Lung.

Damn, come to think of it I almost forgot about this movie, I got to add this to my collection.

Oh, seeing Kill Bill for the 1st time on TNT as I write this. (Yeah, yeah I need a late pass)

Any thoughts on this movie or Quentin Tarantino.

Was Spike Lee right? Does he want to be an honorary black man?
    Has all the attention by rich hollywood dickheads made this guy amazingly gassed up?

I don't know.....if I never see a Quentin Tarantino again for the rest of my life I think that I would be alright. He's become pretty annoying. Plus his little interest in Asian cinema has become rediculous. Unoriginal cock snot.

Uma Thurman, Lucy Liu?..... I don't know.....I not buyin' it. They are not that hot .

Seems more like high grade hollywood cheese.

• okay i think i get you. I understand it totally up to the cast change..

but this is what i mean.

i the first ones when he's being healed and hiding in the back of the restaraunt it's the first guy... in the flashback of 4 i think.. the exact same scene is played by phillip kwok. That's what messed me up. Isn't kwok playing the same exact guy as the first ones.. and then the original guy is playing the part of his dad i think?

either way i enjoyed the flick.

Oh, seeing Kill Bill for the 1st time on TNT as I write this. (Yeah, yeah I need a late pass)

Any thoughts on this movie or Quentin Tarantino.

I had a blast watching Kill Bill (the first one moreso).
    Nothing artsy or serious. Just a really fun reminder of the kind of films I grew up on in the late 70's/early 80's.
    That said, TNT prolly aint the best place to see it.
    Now I could care less about the man himself.
    And it seems like his image/person gets pushed just as hard as his films.
    If anything bothers me it's that.

How his joints break down for me:

Resevoir Dogs: Dug it.
    Pulp Fiction: Really dug it. But haven't seen it in a LONG time. Heard it's not aged well.
    Jackie Brown: Hated it. Overlong, boring and unecessarily mean.
    Kill Bill Vol.1: My favorite of his. Just a lot of fun.
    Kill Bill Vol.2: Slows down to crawl at points, but still has planty of great moments.

okay i think i get you. I understand it totally up to the cast change..

but this is what i mean.

i the first ones when he's being healed and hiding in the back of the restaraunt it's the first guy... in the flashback of 4 i think.. the exact same scene is played by phillip kwok. That's what messed me up. Isn't kwok playing the same exact guy as the first ones.. and then the original guy is playing the part of his dad i think?[/b]

You got everything right but that.
    The "original guy", Fu Sheng...

...is NOT playing the part of his dad, but the part of his NEPHEW.
    Just keep in mind that this part of the story takes place about 15-20+ years later than Part 3.
    Remember the young Prince character in the first film who was actually the long lost, separated BROTHER of Fu Sheng's character (they each had their own swords given to them as babies)?

Well, in Part 4, Fu Sheng is now playing the SON of THAT character, the semi-evil, wayward Prince.
    Which makes him the NEPHEW of the character Fu Sheng played in the first 3 movies.

I know.

Just for the record, and I'm sure you know,
    Phillip Kwok / Kuo Chui / The Lizard is this dude here:

In the first three films, Phillip Kwok plays the crazy old white-haired guy who befriends Fu Sheng.

So that flashback scene in Part 4 you're talking about makes perfect sense, it just seems weird since you probably remember Fu Sheng playing that scene in Part 2, but now it's Kwok.

• okay i think i'm totally straight. I don't think i caught he was playing the nephew now.

NOW THE ONLY PART I'M STILL CONFUSED... is the flashback scene.

is Kuo Chui playing Fu Sheng's part because Fu Sheng is now playing another part?

what i mean is the flashback scene. Kuo Chui IS playing the same character taht Fu Sheng played in the first ones right?

in part 4 Kwok IS the character Fu is in the first three? is that right.

This is worse then the SAT' :5pager:S.

Resevoir Dogs: Dug it.
    Pulp Fiction: Really dug it. But haven't seen it in a LONG time. Heard it's not aged well.
    Jackie Brown: Hated it. Overlong, boring and unecessarily mean.
    Kill Bill Vol.1: My favorite of his. Just a lot of fun.
    Kill Bill Vol.2: Slows down to crawl at points, but still has planty of great moments.

I did not mind Jackie Brown that much, I did not love it but it entertained.

Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction were great movies the first time around. But I can't say I ever want to see these movies, or hear about Quentin Taratino again....OVEREXPOSURE.....this is probably why I wanted to punch Quentin Tarantino when I was watching Kill Bill. I'd probably like it after experiencing some severe head trauma that fucked wit my memory.

okay i think i'm totally straight. I don't think i caught he was playing the nephew now.

NOW THE ONLY PART I'M STILL CONFUSED... is the flashback scene.

is Kuo Chui playing Fu Sheng's part because Fu Sheng is now playing another part?

Yes.

what i mean is the flashback scene. Kuo Chui IS playing the same character taht Fu Sheng played in the first ones right?

Yes.

in part 4 Kwok IS the character Fu is in the first three? is that right.

Yes.

This is worse then the SAT' :5pager:S.

Yes.

I thought that the titles Image were releasing would've been the better action films but that really isn't the case.I dont really have a problem with the subbed movies i think i'm more focused on the dialogue when i have to read it.
    And to be honest some of the dubbing is a little too quirky sometimes.

Dragon Dynasty(A Miramax company)will be releasing

36th Chamber of Shaolin: Special Collector???s Edition
    King Boxer: Special Collector???s Edition
    The One Armed Swordsman: Special Collector???s Edition
    My Young Auntie: Special Collector???s Edition

I think these dvd's will have a english dub.

It's a damn shame Celestial doesn't release the english dubs on the remastered releases.
    (Or do they?........all the remasters that I've come across never had them)

Don't get me wrong though, I definately appriciate the original lanuages......BUT NO ENGLISH DUB??????

That's like Won Ton Soup, without the Won.