FIVE VENOMS appreciation (kung fu related)...

Comments

• Those posters look amazing. I noticed the little Shaw Bros. logo at the bottom of each of them, and I finally realised where J. Saul Kane (another celebrated Hong Kong/kung-fu movie obsessive) copped the idea for his DC Recordings logo.

Yeah, Depth Charge was my shit. Good stuff.
    The Bastard Swordsman track is that

• It's from Shaolin Intruders he was the monk in charge of the Hall Of Discpline.

Ah, shoulda known that. Just watched it the other night.

Tang Chia seriously shoulda directed more flicks, but at least the other 2 he did are just as

And if you haven't already, peep "Shaolin Prince" and "Opium and the Kung Fu Master".

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Thanks for the info
    I really enjoyed Shaolin Intruders the stunts in it were amazing.

• Paul you're reading my mind. I was just gonna pm you asking about pretty much everything you posted.

Thanks homey you've done a very good deed for the day. Now I just have to find these.

How hard are these to actually track down? Will any good china town type place have these? Or am I going to have to dig all over the internet for these?

• Funny you bring this up, Paul- I just watched the Five Venoms flick with my kids the other day. They dug the intro part you spoke of, but then got pretty disinterested. I forgot just how slow moving that flick is. What would you recommend as a good starter flick for a 4 and 7 year old? Make sure it's something that's violence packed and possibly even extremely gory

Phill, you really can't go wrong with Super Ninjas / Chinese Super Ninjas / Five Element Ninja.
    Just straight
    DEFINITELY Chang Cheh's goriest, bloodiest flick.
    It was also one of his last for Shaws.
    Shot almost entirely on a claustrophobic sound stage (which only adds to the mood), Lo Mang (the Toad) is the only real "Venom" in the film, but co-star Chien Tien Chi more than picks up the slack.
    Micheal Chan Wei Man is the Japanese baddie. The Leader of the ninjas trying to rule the martial world.
    He sends his Five Element Ninja to fight China's best clan of fighters...
    Gold, Wood, Fire, Water and Earth.
    There's some parts that drag, but once Tien Chi is properly trained in the Ninja arts it's on!
    The last 20+ minutes or so is some of the best old school kung fu put on film.
    And, as mentioned before, some of the goriest.
    Ninjas getting pulled apart into 5 pieces, dudes stepping on and tripping over their own entrails... just some crazy, crazy shit.
    The Earth Ninjas are my shit though.
    When they pop up from under the ground??! What???!!!

Other dope Shaws to introduce to your kids...

the aforementioned Shaolin Prince (aka "Death Mask of the Ninja")
    and the aforementioned Shaolin Intruders (aka "Battle For Shaolin" - MAKE SURE you get the Shaw Brothers one)
    Both of those flicks are fun, colorful, comic book style, all-out kung fu flicks that kids should love.

Fists of the White Lotus

36th Chamber of Shaolin / aka (Shaolin) Master Killer - (sometimes slow, but involving flick that puts the focus on the training. this is what got me into Shaws)

The semi-sequel, Return to the 36th Chamber/Return of the Master Killer is more lightheated but with much better fights.

Damn, think I need to start a new "Pops" appreciation thread...

• Paul you're reading my mind. I was just gonna pm you asking about pretty much everything you posted.

Thanks homey you've done a very good deed for the day. Now I just have to find these.

How hard are these to actually track down? Will any good china town type place have these? Or am I going to have to dig all over the internet for these?

Sure ting mate. Glad to help.
    Your best bet for getting these flicks IF you don't have an all-region DVD player is gonna be eBay.
    For a while most (if not all) of the joints I posted were available on bootleg DVDs just about everywhere - with varying degrees of quality.
    They're harder to find in stores now (but still possible) since the Shaw Brothers stuff finally started coming out legally in HK a couple years back.
    The folks who bought up the entire library of damn near 1,000 Shaw Brothers films had their lawyers send cease-and-desist letters to every major DVD dist. and retail outlet in the US.
    Which kinda sucks, because for those of us who are nostalgic for the old school english dubbing, it was the only way to get em like that (the legal releases in HK are in chinese only with often horribly written subtitles).
    But like I said, try eBay.
    Some enterprising bootleggers have even taken it upon themselves to actually use the beautiful new Celestial DVD prints for some of these titles and then synch the english dubbing over it - sometimes with mixed results (no pun).

EDIT:
    Haz, don't you (or didn't you) work in a kung fu movie/DVD warehouse in Oakland?
    Or am I completely fucking that up and thinking of someone else on here??

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

EDIT:
    Haz, don't you (or didn't you) work in a kung fu movie/DVD warehouse in Oakland?

Yo, Paul

I WISH I worked in a Kung Fu DVD warehouse!

I live in Montreal & manage a McGill University residence.

I can't remember the dude here who works for Hkflix, but there is someone.

peace

h

• I was gonna start a whole new appreciation thread on "Pops" aka Liu Chia Liang / Lau Kar Leung but fuck it...

Pops was nowhere near as prolific as Chang Cheh (he only helmed about a few more than a dozen films for Shaw), but for him it was all about quality over quantity.
    Almost without exception, his films are true classics in every sense.
    Many of them are groundbreaking (he made the first kung fu "comedy" - Spiritual Boxer).
    He's reknown for using real kung fu in his flicks, which shouldn't come as a suprise as dude is an actual direct descending pupil of Wong Fei Hung (his main style being Hung Gar).
    He's also known for promoting goodwill in his films.
    It's not unusual to see one of his films in which no one dies.
    Or to see a film of his where there are no actual bad guys - only misunderstandings, that eventually get resolved.
    His brother is Liu Chia Yung, another great talent in his own right.
    His "adopted brother" is Liu Chia Hui, or Lau Kar Fei, or, as fans of Kill Bill know him... Gordon Liu (aka The Master Killer).
    His mistress for a time was Hui Ying Hung, a wallflower initially used by Chang Cheh as window dressing in his male dominated actioners.
    Pops took her and molded her in to arguably Shaw Brothers greatest fight queen ever.
    Anyway, here's most of his work...

missing... "Heroes of the East" (aka Shaolin Challenges Ninja), "Martial Club" (aka Instructors of Death), "Lady Is The Boss"

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

EDIT:

Yo, Paul

I WISH I worked in a Kung Fu DVD warehouse!

I live in Montreal & manage a McGill University residence.

I can't remember the dude here who works for Hkflix, but there is someone.

peace

h

The hommie Nat (morsecode) works at HKFlix in Oaktown.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

I have almost all the movies by Pops above. His schitt is tops. I even liked him in Drunken Master II. And I think he dated Kara Hui. Dood is a legend.

peace
    h

Yo,

I have almost all the movies by Pops above. His schitt is tops. I even liked him in Drunken Master II. And I think Kara Hui dated Big Chan[/b] in the 80s.

peace
    h

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

I have almost all the movies by Pops above. His schitt is tops. I even liked him in Drunken Master II. And I think Kara Hui dated Big Chan[/b] in the 80s.

peace
    h

That means you were cheating on Maggie Cheung?

Yo,

peace
    h

That means you were cheating on Maggie Cheung?

Plaese believe it!!!!!!! Hong Kong was very very good to me. Don't tell Christy Chung.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Have any of you ever seen a fighter in a flick and wanted to put a name to the face so you can source out other flicks with that person(without having to google image search the name)?.
    http://www.hkcinemagic.com/ is the place to do that.
    They even have the headshots from most of the popular films they were in.
    This is when you consider they change up their appearance in every flick they're in.

• One more question about the Shaw dvds:

Do the english dub releases come with the OG scores? I remember from an old post someone saying some of the english dub versions come with different (and far inferior) music.

Truth? Thanks.

• I posted this few months ago: please suggest a good flick by Shaw Bros set in contemporary times : I especially like the erotic comedies like the "merry wife" or the first episode of "Crazy Sex" .......are there any crime movie ?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    well well well,

as if placed there by the hand of fate, im scouring the bins at a local market (no records today) and i spot 4 videos:

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter
    Shaolin Temple 2 (Shaolin vs. WuTang)
    The Master Killer
    Fists of the While Lotus

2 Euro each.

now all i need is a VCR...

Good Looking out Mr Nice, i thought of you as soon as i spotted them.

• One more question about the Shaw dvds:

Do the english dub releases come with the OG scores? I remember from an old post someone saying some of the english dub versions come with different (and far inferior) music.

Truth? Thanks.

Actually it's the other way around. Kinda.
    There aren't too many legit DVD releases around the world right now with the english dubs.
    Those that have them have (as far as I know) the same exact music score as their chinese language counterparts.
    There ARE occasions where I've switched my audio from mandarin to cantonese on some titles and have heard different music but it dosen't happen too often.

HOWEVER, MANY, MANY of the official HK, chinese language releases on DVD have included horrible new keyboard synthesizer music and sound effects being played OVER the beautiful old, original score and fx - usually VERY off-key at that.
    It's a shame really. As far as I'm concerned many of these DVD releases as a result have all but ruined these films.
    I'm one Shawstrut fan who is VERY much into his DeWolfe library tracks and cues which were heavily used over and over again throughout these flicks, and some asshole kid in some studio in HK is just having a blast playing his Triton over the old Mono ST just to please all the heads who demand every film - no matter how old - is in 5.1 surround. Trust me. It's extremely jarring.
    Celestial, the company who is releasing all of these Shaw films legitimately in HK, have, it seemed, recently stopped this horrible practice - hopefully for good.
    It's just too bad that SO many classics have already been affected.

• I posted this few months ago: please suggest a good flick by Shaw Bros set in contemporary times : I especially like the erotic comedies like the "merry wife" or the first episode of "Crazy Sex" .......are there any crime movie ?

More of a gangter flick than a straight cops/crime drama is "Hong Kong Godfather".
    I've sung it's praises a while back.
    Just remember to seek out the SHAW BROS. version and NOT the later Andy Lau joint.
    It was made in '85. One of the very last films Shaw Bros. released, and man does this film deliver.
    Ultra violent, incredibly gritty, brutal, bloody and sometimes over-the-top action/fights.
    Directed by Shaw veteran villain, Wang Lung Wei and starring Liang Chia Ren aka "Beardy" (old school heads might best remember him in "Thundering Mantis" as the dude who goes all crazy cannibal-like at the end).
    The last fight scene at the end is one for the ages, even though it was blatantly ripped off from Jackie Chan's "Police Story" made the same year. Just think of it as the Category III version of that classic fight scene and you start to get an idea of what you're in for.
    Unfortunately, this has yet to get an official release from the folks at Celestial.
    Hopefully sometime in '07.
    In the meantime your best bet would be online. eBay, etc.

From the mid 70's, I like this Shaw contemporary crime flick called "Kidnap" starring Lo Lieh.
    Apparently based on a true crime. Good stuff.

There's also some crazy ass exploitation flick from Shaws called "Lost Souls" which I haven't seen but have heard nothing but stuff about it.
    From the same cat that later directed "Men Behind The Sun".
    This only came out on VCD from Celestial (HK) last year and I believe it's now OOP.

I KNOW I definitely have some more you'd probably like, but it's early and my brain is fried via a lack of sleep.
    Check back in a day or three.

• Paul you Bastard! You want to FIGHT! RIGHT! I'll give you a go!!!

Well I broke down! When I first saw this post I told my self don't open it avoid it and I was doing so good until now!!! A cup of coffy and this man your really given me the FRIDAY I WANT GO HOME ALREADY SHAKES! and it's only 545 am in cali!!!

ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHEN WILL THE PAUL NICE SHAW BROTHERS MIX CD COME OUT???? DUDE YOU GOT TO DO IT!

I still need to watch 2 of these To Kill a Master Mind and Legend of the Fox(actually have a really bad copy of that so I refuse to watch it until I get a better version), the question is do they have the English dub on ebay??? I picked up the blast of the Ironpalm in English funny thing is the picture is great but the sound is exactly the same as the bootleg copy with dude's head popping up on intro and you can hear the reels still! LOL to funny though some parts wearn't even dubbed and then the dub was off towards the end.. ahah classic!

I knew I should have wore my kung fu shoes today! word back to work for me! Oh yeah Kid with the Golden Arms, Flag of Iron and Two Champs of Shaolin are my top venom flicks for today, it will change again....

Another question has anyone made remakes of these movies? If so who and what??? If not they should.

• Paul you Bastard! You want to FIGHT! RIGHT! I'll give you a go!!!

"So.... you're IRON FEET???"

You know, It just became apparent to me quite recently that one of my favorite kung fu/hip hop references was actually goofed.
    When Jeru says "like big axe and little axe" in what I think was "D. Original / Dirty Rotten Scoundrels", he shoulda said "LONG axe SHORT axe", no??

I still need to watch 2 of these To Kill a Master Mind and Legend of the Fox(actually have a really bad copy of that so I refuse to watch it until I get a better version), the question is do they have the English dub on ebay??? I picked up the blast of the Ironpalm in English funny thing is the picture is great but the sound is exactly the same as the bootleg copy with dude's head popping up on intro and you can hear the reels still! LOL to funny though some parts wearn't even dubbed and then the dub was off towards the end.. ahah classic!

It is extremely unfortunate, but there's no english dub that I'm aware of for Legend of a Fox.
    I would kill for one though.
    And yeah, they just took the eng. dub from that shitty ass camcorder bootleg of Blast/Iron Palm and synched it (not so well) with the beautiful picture from the legit chinese language DVD.
    Is yours from the Red Sun label?
    There's a guy on one of the kung fu boards who does his own synch copies that are extremely well done.
    Picture quality is superb and the dubs never go off. Don't know how he does it.

Another question has anyone made remakes of these movies? If so who and what??? If not they should.

Well I'd say that's very debatable Brother Feet.
    There has been very recent talk that Andy Lau has gone ahead and started production on a Five Venoms remake. Not much info besides that.
    Interesting since Miramax had apparently purchased the remake rights to that as well as 36th Chamber and Avenging Eagle about 3 years back.
    I just don't really wanna see a new Venoms flick with a bunch of Canto-pop powder puffs in the leads.
    And you KNOW that's exactly what they'd do.

• well well well,

as if placed there by the hand of fate, im scouring the bins at a local market (no records today) and i spot 4 videos:

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter
    Shaolin Temple 2 (Shaolin vs. WuTang)
    The Master Killer
    Fists of the While Lotus

2 Euro each.

now all i need is a VCR...

Good Looking out Mr Nice, i thought of you as soon as i spotted them.

Sure thing.
    I actually stayed away from "Shaolin and Wu Tang" for years for some reason.
    Prolly because it wasn't an official Shaw production but an indy - even though it was completely shot on the Shaw lot/sets and featured an all-Shaw cast and crew (everything down to the DeWolfe music).
    The flick was - by credit at least - directed by star Gordon Liu (the Master Killer), which would have made it his directing debut.
    Though many have gone on record to say it was in fact ghost-directed by Pops himself.
    And it shows. Particularly in the fights.
    This is a gem and I highly recommend it as a part of Liu Chia Liang's cannon of classics.
    Plus it's just fun to try and trainspot all the Wu Tang Clan dialogue samples.
    There's a ton of em.

• Legend of the fox is THE shit.

I got a PERFECT dvd of it this week and was wondering if there was a dub copy aw well. I actually almost enjoyed it more with subtitles though. It made you see how much personality these guys had and made it more of a "real" movie. Even though the dub is part of the fun, it does make them a little comical.

• Serious throughout this thread. Thanks.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    the VCDs I bought here in HK, so far, all have the original background music/ scores.

As much as I respect the actors and directors, i also have to give it up to Mr Frankie Chan who is the man responsible for a majority of the music scores for Shaw back in the days. (perhaps he was the man who brought in all the De Wolfe stuff)

So, Big up Frankie!

the VCDs I bought here in HK, so far, all have the original background music/ scores.

As much as I respect the actors and directors, i also have to give it up to Mr Frankie Chan who is the man responsible for a majority of the music scores for Shaw back in the days. (perhaps he was the man who brought in all the De Wolfe stuff)

So, Big up Frankie!

What up Kenny!!!!!

Frankie Chan is that dude! His Golden Harvest joints and his later films like Outlaw Brothers were excellent. Frankie Chan is NO JOKE with the fight choreography. Big up Frankie Chan.

• Frankie Chan is that dude! His Golden Harvest joints and his later films like Outlaw Brothers were excellent. Frankie Chan is NO JOKE with the fight choreography. Big up Frankie Chan.

Frankie is that dude no doubt.
    Thought I'd see him more as an actor after his star-making turn in Prodigal Son w/Sammo and Yuan Biao.
    And besides the aforementioned Outlaw Brothers, "Burning Ambition" is that shit too.
    Interesting to think he might've had a hand in picking those DeWolfe tunes.
    Makes sense.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I remember that shit.

Which is the one (non-Shaw) w/ the Chinese cat who marries the Japanese woman who's brother/father is a Karate expert? The Chinese husband has to prove that Kung-Fu is better than Japanese martial arts. He fights a ninja, a samurai, and some other Japanese styles. I think the husband is the Master Killer dude.

I remember that shit.

Which is the one (non-Shaw) w/ the Chinese cat who marries the Japanese woman who's brother/father is a Karate expert? The Chinese husband has to prove that Kung-Fu is better than Japanese martial arts. He fights a ninja, a samurai, and some other Japanese styles. I think the husband is the Master Killer dude.

What up Batmon. The film you described IS a Shaw film and a great one at that! You are talking about Heroes of the East aka Challenge of the Ninja aka Shaolin Challenges Ninja aka Drunk Shaolin Challenges Ninja. Hong Kong/Japanese co-production with an all star cast including Gordon Liu (with hair! LOL), Liu Chia Liang and Yasuaki Kurata. DOPE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What up Batmon. The film you described IS a Shaw film and a great one at that! You are talking about Heroes of the East aka Challenge of the Ninja aka Shaolin Challenges Ninja aka Drunk Shaolin Challenges Ninja.

Thanx Big Chan. Is it available on DVD. And is there a specific version that's preferred?

It was called Challenge Of The Ninja when Channel 5(NYC) showed that shit.