FIVE VENOMS appreciation (kung fu related)...

Comments

• Thanx Big Chan. Is it available on DVD. And is there a specific version that's preferred?

It was called Challenge Of The Ninja when Channel 5(NYC) showed that shit.

Yup. You and I prolly saw it on the same sat afternoon on Channel 5 (my first DJ name).
    It is available on DVD and it breaks down like this...
    Those gorgeous screen shots that Chan posted are from the legit, chinese language-only HK disc from Celestial.
    Only problem is, it's one of those discs I mentioned earlier with the newly added synthesizer music and extra-loud folley and sound fx.
    To each his own when it comes to this. I know Chan can tolerate it, I definitely can't.
    You'll also need an all-region deck to play it as it's Region 3.
    If you dont have an all-region deck, you can try your luck on eBay for an all-region bootleg.
    Another option as Kenny pointed out, would be the (legit) HK VCD by the same company.
    Obviously not as great a picture, but it is original mono sound, music and fx. And all-region.
    Yet another option would be to again seek out eBay for the recently discontinued US bootleg DVD.
    I believe it's titled "Shaolin Challenges Ninja" (from Groud Zero I believe) and it's a pan and scan, 3rd generation VHS-quality english dub, seemingly taken from the old TV master tapes.
    In other words, it would look and sound just like when you seen it come on Channel 5.
    You might be able to even find another bootleg online which has the old school, mono english dub synched up to the gorgeous new Celestial print.
    There's been quite a few titles being released this way.
    Not sure if Heroes of the East is one of 'em, but I wouldn't doubt it.
    This would be my personal choice as well.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You might be able to even find another bootleg online which has the old school, mono english dub synched up to the gorgeous new Celestial print.

Is there anywhere in NYC that would sell these Mono Dub/Celestial Fusion bootlegs?

• Is there anywhere in NYC that would sell these Mono Dub/Celestial Fusion bootlegs?

I have no doubt.
    I'm sure there's still a bunch of spots uptown around 2 Fifth.
    I know there's a big dvd outlet store near 42nd and 7th/8th that would definitely have em.
    You might try Kim's too.
    Basically any spot in the city that would sell kung fu dvds.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Is there anywhere in NYC that would sell these Mono Dub/Celestial Fusion bootlegs?

I have no doubt.
    I know there's a big dvd outlet store near 42nd and 7th/8th that would definitely have em.
    You might try Kim's too.

I think Kim's might still be a little shook about selling bootleg DVDs after the Feds raided both stores and arrested a bunch of the employees.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I have no doubt.
    You might try Kim's too.
    I think Kim's might still be a little shook about selling bootleg DVDs after the Feds raided both stores and arrested a bunch of the employees.

True. Im weary of askin the 125 cats about - "MonoDub/Celestial upgrade". They'll might be on some "HUH?" shit. I'll do some "Diggin".

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Thanx Big Chan. Is it available on DVD. And is there a specific version that's preferred?

It was called Challenge Of The Ninja when Channel 5(NYC) showed that shit.

Yup. You and I prolly saw it on the same sat afternoon on Channel 5 (my first DJ name).
    It is available on DVD and it breaks down like this...
    Those gorgeous screen shots that Chan posted are from the legit, chinese language-only HK disc from Celestial.
    Only problem is, it's one of those discs I mentioned earlier with the newly added synthesizer music and extra-loud folley and sound fx.
    To each his own when it comes to this. I know Chan can tolerate it, I definitely can't.
    You'll also need an all-region deck to play it as it's Region 3.
    If you dont have an all-region deck, you can try your luck on eBay for an all-region bootleg.
    Another option as Kenny pointed out, would be the (legit) HK VCD by the same company.
    Obviously not as great a picture, but it is original mono sound, music and fx. And all-region.
    Yet another option would be to again seek out eBay for the recently discontinued US bootleg DVD.
    I believe it's titled "Shaolin Challenges Ninja" (from Groud Zero I believe) and it's a pan and scan, 3rd generation VHS-quality english dub, seemingly taken from the old TV master tapes.
    In other words, it would look and sound just like when you seen it come on Channel 5.

Hmm. I'd like to peep a mono/celestial mash up of "Heroes". Keep us filled in...I'm working on such a mash up of "The Spiritual Boxer". Just for fun. Also trying to put together a nice "Five Element Ninja", Chinese w/ subs. Honestly, the audio mixes on the celestials don't really phase me & lots of releases have the mono tracks, but everyone is different when it comes to this.

peace

h

• thanks for the post paulnice!!! great shit!!!
    got turned on to the shaw's in the eighties watching the cat's pyjamas (buffalo???) late night flix on toronto TV... used to tape em occassionally...
    anyways, just moved back to ontario from british columbia. sup chan? (got that addy for me??? hit me at [email]sipreano@telus.net)[/email]
    was buying some of the celestial boots for $5 a pop in vancouver chinatown.
    any toronto heads got a spot here that i can cop some more?
    what about a place for decent affordable sushi? fuck!!! lol...

not a shaw brothers flick (don't think anyways), but y'all like john woo's "last hurrah for chivalry"? really dig that one. pretty sure there was venoms repped in that one!!! easy to get as well...

Pacific Mall? LOL. You REALLY need to holla at the hommie MoSS. He is the KING of the Asian DVD movies. He is in Toronto.

sup chan? (got that addy for me??? hit me at [Email]sipreano@telus.net)[/Email]

K. My bad, sorry. Shit has been hectic and I forgot to send you that addy. I'll email it to you when I get home tonight. About the sushi in the Tdot, you need to holla at the hommie Aser about all Toronto food related issues. That dude REALLY knows the deal.

Later,

Chan

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

was buying some of the celestial boots for $5 a pop in vancouver chinatown.

I'm sure you have no problem finding the celestial boots in TO, but if you do holla at me cause I've been getting crazy deals out here in Mtl.

peace

h

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I bought the movie Chinatown Kid today it had most of the venoms cast in it,but i was disappointed with the action.

I also downloaded The Master aka Three Evil Masters which i thoroughly enjoyed.
    My only complaint with it is that it's the subtitled version,i really wanted a dubbed version.

• I bought the movie Chinatown Kid today it had most of the venoms cast in it, but i was disappointed with the action.

Yeah, ya gotta remember that at the time Chinatown Kid was made (1977) the fight choreography was still pretty slow.
    Cats really stepped their game up in the next couple of years, peaking (for me anyway) in 1979-81.
    That's when the fight action (like in Three Evil Masters) got super crisp and much faster.
    From '82-on, a lot of the Shaws had the habit of getting a bit too caught up in the wirework as the swordplay films became more popular.

I also downloaded The Master aka Three Evil Masters which i thoroughly enjoyed.
    My only complaint with it is that it's the subtitled version,i really wanted a dubbed version.

GREAT flick man! Yuan Te was a great talent who was sadly underused.
    Jackie himself considers him to be one of the best stuntmen still working in HK today and he even handled a lot of the action on Sammo's short-lived Martial Law show in the states.
    But Three Evil Masters was his best showcase by far.
    The film itself, even as an early Jackie Chan/Drunken Master knockoff, is a lot of fun.
    And that last fight scene against Wang Lung Wei is in my Shaw Top 10.
    Even Candy Wen was bearable for once.
    And you CAN get yourself a dubbed version - which I prefer 1,000 times to the subtitled one.
    Unfortunately the picture quality will be nowhere near as great as the legit Celestial DVD.
    There's a bootleg company calling themselves "Red Sun" which has one of those english dubbed synch jobs I was talking about earlier.
    I got my copy on eBay if that helps.

• can anyone name the flick where a bunch of dudes battle a giant gold buddah at the end? if I remember correctly one of them was a wizard that burrowed underground.

• can anyone name the flick where a bunch of dudes battle a giant gold buddah at the end? if I remember correctly one of them was a wizard that burrowed underground.

This sounds like some Ocean Shore Video type shit. Most campy kung-fu flicks ever, with tons of wizards and mythology and shit. If anyone has a copy of "Wolf Devil Woman" on VHS holler!

This thread is dope btw!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Kung Fu Swordplay Bloopers!!!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

Shih Szu tribute on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl0XoSNyvkI&mode=related&search=

"Shooting at the walls of heartache...I am the warrior!"

peace

h

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo Chan,

How's the timing of subtitles on that Heroes of The East DVD? Mine seems a bit off.

peace

h

I have the opportunity to buy this bootleg copy of Battle Wizard on dvd.
    Is the action/violence truly uncut? in this version?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTLE-WIZARD-Shaw-Brothers-Eng-Dub-16-9-Rare-DVD_W0QQitemZ150063280493QQihZ005QQcategoryZ617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<br /><br />  

• This looks to be one of those english dub-synched boots I was talking about before.
    So, if indeed that's the case, the video itself is taken from the recent legit HK DVD release which looks beautiful.
    Can't tell you if it's uncut. Most of the Celestial releases have been, but not all.
    You can be assured that you'll be getting the best picture quality available with the Celestial version though.

Just a warning:
    The english dub will probably sound real muddy, since the only english dub copy was a pretty horrible boot and it's been the only english dub available over the years.
    So, the picture will look great. The dub will most likely sound like shit.

Thanks man,i read a review for the movie on kungfucinema.com
    It sparked my interest.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    here is a dump for a load of kung fu trailers
    sorry if this was posted already

http://www.shaolinchamber.com/trailerschamber.html

I copped the ground zero release of Shaolin Rescuers,the movie itself was cool the only problem i had with it was the fact that it was taken from a vhs source.
    The tracking lines running up and down the screen at two points in the movie upset me a little.
    Also i downloaded Killer Constable aka Lightning Kung Fu this movie really impressed me,it's a swordplay picture with A LOT of bloodletting filmed in a very stylish manner starring Chen Kuan Tai(the 70's iron monkey)
    Haz if you haven't seen it i recommend that you download it NOW! from off of demonoid.It took me 2 1/2 days to get this and it was well worth the wait.

• Glad to see this post back up. Most recent joint I watched was Killer Clans. I REALLY enjoyed this movie. Great flick.

Recent movies I watched.

Avenging Eagle
    Bells Of Death
    Chinese Super Ninjas
    Crippled Avenger
    Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
    Fist Of The White Lotus
    Five Deadly Venoms
    Five Fighters From Shaolin
    Fury In Shaolin Temple
    Invincible Armour
    Iron Fingers Of Death
    Killer Army
    Killer Klans
    Legend Of THe Fox
    Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu
    Masked Avengers
    Master Killer
    Ninja Checkmate AKA Mystery Of Chess Boxing
    Ninja In The Deadly Trap
    Return Of The Deadly Blade
    Revenge Of The Patriots
    Shaolin Challenges Ninja
    Shaolin King Boxer
    Shaoling Vs Lama
    Shaolin VS WU Tang
    Snake Shadow Lama Fist
    Ten Magnifenct Killers
    Ten Tigers From Kwangtung
    The Kid With The Golden Arm
    The Magnificent Ruffians
    The Spearman AKA Flag Of Iron
    The Storm Riders
    The Sword Stained With Royal Blood

Hey Paul did you see the celestial release on the other board? No To Kill A Mastermind

I am looking forward to house of traps.

• Also i downloaded Killer Constable aka Lightning Kung Fu this movie really impressed me,it's a swordplay picture with A LOT of bloodletting filmed in a very stylish manner starring Chen Kuan Tai(the 70's iron monkey)

Fantastic flick! Not your conventional Shaw Brothers joint, but still one of my favorites.
    Beautifuly sustained mood throughout the pic.
    Also, not sure if you noticed this or not, but there's a scene where Chen Kuan Tai and Ku Feng are pitted against one another while simultaneously trying to fool the blind girl for her own protection.
    That scene was directly lifted by John Woo a few years later when he made The Killer.
    Great, melancholy ending too.

• Hey Paul did you see the celestial release on the other board? No To Kill A Mastermind

I am looking forward to house of traps.

Yeah.
    Some things are just never meant to be I suppose.

Also, not sure if you noticed this or not, but there's a scene where Chen Kuan Tai and Ku Feng are pitted against one another while simultaneously trying to fool the blind girl for her own protection.
    That scene was directly lifted by John Woo a few years later when he made The Killer.
    Great, melancholy ending too.

I didn't pick up on it, it's been a long time since i've seen the Killer, i need to watch that again i cant remember that much about it except for the church shootout.
    In Killer Constable i loved how the Cinematographer captured the light reflecting off the swords especially in the scene with Jason Pai Piao at the bottom of the steps in the blue light.

• In Killer Constable i loved how the Cinematographer captured the light reflecting off the swords especially in the scene with Jason Pai Piao at the bottom of the steps in the blue light.

One of the things I started to pick up on after I watched enough Shaw flicks was just how distinct and on point their lighting really was.
    The way it shines off objects - especially weapons - is cool as fuck, and unlike anything you see from any other studio before or since.
    There was definitely an in-house "Shaw style" not unlike what Hammer Studios had.
    And if you see enough of their work it starts to become instantly recognizable.
    Particularly once you get into the late 70's stuff.
    The unparalled indoor sets, the canned library music, the precision lighting, even the gotdamn film stock.
    It's a beautiful thing.

In Killer Constable i loved how the Cinematographer captured the light reflecting off the swords especially in the scene with Jason Pai Piao at the bottom of the steps in the blue light.

One of the things I started to pick up on after I watched enough Shaw flicks was just how distinct and on point their lighting really was.
    The way it shines off objects - especially weapons - is cool as fuck, and unlike anything you see from any other studio before or since.
    There was definitely an in-house "Shaw style" not unlike what Hammer Studios had.
    And if you see enough of their work it starts to become instantly recognizable.
    Particularly once you get into the late 70's stuff.
    The unparalled indoor sets, the canned library music, the precision lighting, even the gotdamn film stock.
    It's a beautiful thing.

Yes mos def, Shaw Bros is synonymous with quality looking martial arts movies.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I copped the ground zero release of Shaolin Rescuers,the movie itself was cool the only problem i had with it was the fact that it was taken from a vhs source.
    The tracking lines running up and down the screen at two points in the movie upset me a little.
    Also i downloaded Killer Constable aka Lightning Kung Fu this movie really impressed me,it's a swordplay picture with A LOT of bloodletting filmed in a very stylish manner starring Chen Kuan Tai(the 70's iron monkey)
    Haz if you haven't seen it i recommend that you download it NOW! from off of demonoid.It took me 2 1/2 days to get this and it was well worth the wait.

Thanks for the tip! I recently dl'ed "Shaolin Intruders" from demonoid. The Kung fu in that movie is wild! Crazy human pyramids, trick weapons, & some decent stunts. The story left me kinda dry, but fighting was frequent & kick ass. I also picked up Flying Guillotine II. That's not too bad a movie, either. Some nice outdoor sets, lots of frantic action & heads being ripped from torsos.

I have to check out the 70's Iron Monkey. Chen Kuan Tai had some dope films.

peace

h

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Chen Kuan Tai had some dope films

SAY !