FIVE VENOMS appreciation (kung fu related)...

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Recently i purchased Master Of The Flying Guillotine after Dl'in it from the net and viewing it first(it was subtitled)
    The dvd i got is defective it pauses up in the 12th chapter i was thinking about returning it and getting a replacement,but i've seen a review of the dvd from a customer on amazon.com and he experiences the same problem.
    I'm thinking this must be factory flaw i'm gonna have to take the loss i cant be bothered with going through the rigmarole of getting back a copy of a movie that was just ok/average to me.

Another recent purchase of mine was King Of Fists And Dollars/Challenge Of The Shaolin Disciples
    http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=1700 as you can see by the dvd cover that picture is from a entirely different movie why do they do this? anyway this movie has some Shaw Bros stars most notably David Chiang
    it also has Mark Long(ghost face killer) in it.
    The picture quality wasn't too good a lot of scratches on the film print, the color was vivid though.
    The movie starts off weak but it ended up been watchable it's ok if you're looking for a quick kung fu movie fix.

Oh i downloaded The Deadly Breaking Sword good film!.
    Please bear with me people i'm going through a slow learning curve.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I watched The Battle Wizard & The Fanstasic Magic Baby most recently. These movies knocked me on my ass, but they're probably not for everyone....

I just got a subbed dvd of "Yellow River Fighter". That movie is dope!!!! If yu like Jet li's Shaolin Temple, check it out. Mainland films are a nice departure from the Shaws - outdoor sets, lots of different fighting styles.

The Master Of The Flying Gulliotine has been recently re-released & I've heard the new dvd is really nice. I prefer the Shaw Flying Gulliotine, but that's just me.

I'm waiting for the image Deadly Breaking Sword! I think that will be out in 07'.

I also saw Rendevous With Death & loved it. Very well done.

peace

h

I just got a subbed dvd of "Yellow River Fighter". That movie is dope!!!! If yu like Jet li's Shaolin Temple, check it out. Mainland films are a nice departure from the Shaws - outdoor sets, lots of different fighting styles.
    Noted

I'm waiting for the image Deadly Breaking Sword! I think that will be out in 07'.

I bought "The Water Margin" i fell asleep in the last part,i need to rewatch it again.
    I gonna support most of the Image releases,i'm only hoping they start to put the english dubs on them.I cant wait for "Human Lanterns" i really wanna see that.

• I gonna support most of the Image releases, i'm only hoping they start to put the english dubs on them

You're not kidding.
    Image's problem is twofold.
    One, their initial slate of 30 releases is VERY weak in terms of what titles they chose to put out.
    Second, the dub issue (or lack thereof).
    I'm privy to all of the initial 30 titles Image plans to release over the next year and I gotta tell ya, it don't look good.
    Particularly since sales of these 30 are going to be the ultimate deciding factor as to whether or not Image will release any more Shaws after this.
    A vast majority of the 30 are slower, boring sword flicks or horror joints from the late 60's/early 70's.
    Fans in the US want Venoms, Liu Chia Liang and straight up raw kung fu.
    The stuff they grew up watching on tv.
    And they would buy that stuff up like mad.
    But it's gotta be kung fu flicks of a certain caliber, and they GOTTA have the old school english dub.
    That is a MUST.
    If they can't get the english dub, then they should've picked another title that had one.
    Out of the 30, there's probably 5 or 6 titles TOPS that I think will do well...

Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu
    Deadly Breaking Sword
    Shaolin Intruders
    Human Lanterns
    Boxers Omen
    and perhaps one or two more.

Not looking good.
    I mean, until a couple of us on the KF board actually tracked down the rare-as-fuck english dub for Deadly Breaking Sword down at the Library of Congress, Image was going to simply release the film sans the dub.
    That would've resulted in horrible sales, considering that a DVD of that film in chinese w/subs is already widely available.
    Image simply doesn't understand their market, and I'm very worried that as a result, we'll never get past these initial wack ass 30 titles.
    Think about it, they had over 700 films to choose from and they picked some of the most boring crap imaginable.

Sounds like a sad state of affairs,one would've thought that when they decided to take on such a venture that they would've seriously thought about what Shaw Bros movies the Kung Fu film fans cherish the most.

I would've bought The Boxer's Omen but from what i've read about it,it sounds too F'ing strange for me.

Talk about strange.

Have you seen this movie Paul? it looks bugged out!!!

• I would've bought The Boxer's Omen but from what i've read about it,it sounds too F'ing strange for me.

I listed that title as one that could possibly sell well, as it does have a bit of an international cult following among certain horror buffs.

"Bat Without Wings" (the image you posted) is your typical Chu Yuan "martial world" tale, but with a bit of a bizarre twist to it. Not bad. Nothing great.
    Though I'd still rather see Image release this (with an english dub of course) instead of the majority of dreck they're about to put out.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi Magnetic,

There's a movie up for torrent that I think you might like - "The Secret Rivals". Check it out & post your impressions!

peace

h

• Hi Magnetic,

There's a movie up for torrent that I think you might like - "The Secret Rivals". Check it out & post your impressions!

peace

h

i'm a fan of SB erotic sexy-comedies.... anyone has suggestions? recently I checked "36 secrets of courtship"...not bad

Hi Magnetic,

peace

h

Yeah i'm gonna eventually get this,i think two people are seeding it it's gonna take a long time tho.
    I'm getting Rendezvous with Death now.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I was under the impression that Miramax is still sitting on the N. American DVD/home video rights for all the most popular SB kung fu flicks, and that's why Image is focusing on the cult horror and mythical swordplay stuff.

There are also pretty solid but cheap all-region players, so anyone intimidated by it shouldn't be. There are a lot of decent sub-$100 options if one just cares about playing retail foreign DVDs, but probably the best bang for the buck is the Oppo DV971H if one's willing to go $200.

Haz, i'm not sure if you've seen this
    National Geographic Fight Science Documentary.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAF9J-RmXuc
    It's broken into multiple parts check it out.
    They show clips from some Shaw Bros Films.
    There's this clip in the Doc with CHI Kuan-chun where he's ripping the bark off of a tree while training.Is it from Shaolin Martial Arts?
    http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=1541
    If so i need to see this film.

• I was under the impression that Miramax is still sitting on the N. American DVD/home video rights for all the most popular SB kung fu flicks, and that's why Image is focusing on the cult horror and mythical swordplay stuff.

The Miramax stash (now under the "Dragon Dynasty" label), is a about 50 titles strong, and they do indeed contain some much sought after classics.
    But there are still literally 100's of really good kung fu flicks still get, and Image completely dropped the ball with those titles.
    I can seriously think of 100 kick ass joints off the top of my head that would be ripe for the Shaw kung fu picking.
    But alas, we have "Cave of the Silken Web" to look forward to instead.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Haz, i'm not sure if you've seen this
    National Geographic Fight Science Documentary.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAF9J-RmXuc
    It's broken into multiple parts check it out.
    They show clips from some Shaw Bros Films.
    There's this clip in the Doc with CHI Kuan-chun where he's ripping the bark off of a tree while training.Is it from Shaolin Martial Arts?
    http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=1541
    If so i need to see this film.

That was really cool. Thanks for the link! I've never seen Shaolin Martial Arts, but I do think its on torrent. Maybe Paul or Chan could help identify this clip? What part of the video is it in?

peace

h

• This thread has me all interested in some seeing some classic kung fu films...

Where's the best spot in Toronto to pick up cheap kung fu DVDs??? Someone drop some black market dvd knowledge on me!!

What part of the video is it in?

In part six near the 4 minute mark.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Where abouts are you?

• That was really cool. Thanks for the link! I've never seen Shaolin Martial Arts, but I do think its on torrent. Maybe Paul or Chan could help identify this clip? What part of the video is it in?

peace

h

Yeah, if someoe can let us know exactly which Nat Geo clip the scene is in, I can try and ID it.
    But I'm just not trying to go through all 10 of them shits!!

That was really cool. Thanks for the link! I've never seen Shaolin Martial Arts, but I do think its on torrent. Maybe Paul or Chan could help identify this clip? What part of the video is it in?

peace

h

Yeah, if someoe can let us know exactly which Nat Geo clip the scene is in, I can try and ID it.
    But I'm just not trying to go through all 10 of them shits!!

In part 6.

• In part 6.

Thanks.
    The first couple of clips I recognized right away as "Heroes of the East" and "Legendary Weapons of China/Kung Fu".
    The one with Chi Kuan Chun ripping the bark off the trees was definitely from one of Chang Cheh's "Shaolin Cycle" flicks, but I'm honestly stumped (no pun) as to which one exactly.
    Could very well be "Shaolin Martial Arts".
    It's just been so long since I saw those particular films and the only one I still revisit from time to time is "Shaolin Temple" (aka "Death Chamber"), which, I think was the last one in the series before Chang Cheh started concentrating more on the Venoms.
    HAZ, you might be better off posting the clip on the KF board and let the experts there ID it.
    I expect it would take them only a matter of seconds.
    Chan, care to figure this one out?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    paul/chan.

i found these shaw brothers 10" box sets at a shop out here in Taiwan, there's meant to be a lot more at the other shop... here are some pics. Didn't get a chance to have a listen to what's on them...

are any of these movies recommended??;
    Kung Fu Instructor
    The Master Strikes Back
    Savage 5
    Legend of The Bat
    Iron Bodyguard
    Magnificent Wanderers
    Killer Clans
    Golden Lion
    Swordsman At Large
    A Deadly Secret
    Killer Darts
    Battle Wizards
    Call To Arms
    Have Sword Will Travel
    Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre

Thanks for ya'll help.

peace.

• Those rekids look cool.
    I know Shaws did have a few successful ST releases based on a few of their more popular Huangmei Opera flicks from the 60's starring Lin Dai, etc.
    Perhaps Kenny and them would know more than I do about this stuff?
    I could be wrong, but the record up top looks like it's from "The Love Eterne" which I think was like the biggest grosser of all-time in HK. Certainly for a musical anyway.
    Pretty fun movie too.

But down to business...

are any of these movies recommended??;
    Kung Fu Instructor (HELLS YES!!)
    The Master Strikes Back (HELLS YES! Semi-sequel to KF Instructor w/not nearly as much action tho)
    Savage 5 (Yes. Good mid 70's basher from Chang Cheh - sorta a 7 Samurai remake)
    Legend of The Bat (I liked. Not for everyones taste. Chu Yuan wuxia/sword/martial world pic. Enjoyed it far more dubbed in english)
    Iron Bodyguard (Chen Kuan Tai, right? Never saw this one)
    Magnificent Wanderers (Fuck NO. Avoid like the Final-Scratch)
    Killer Clans (see Legend of the Bat)
    Golden Lion (never saw)
    Swordsman At Large (never saw)
    A Deadly Secret (take it or leave it. not much action)
    Killer Darts (never saw)
    Battle Wizards (fun, gonzo kung fu fantasy, w/more fantasy than kung fu. HAZ really dug this one methinks)
    Call To Arms (never saw - you seem to be picking a LOT of late 60s/early 70's stuff, eh?)
    Have Sword Will Travel (pretty good EARY "Iron Triangle" flick = Ti Lung, David Chiang, Chang Cheh)
    Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre (later Chu Yuan wuxia mixed with sci-fi elements. all depends upon your tastes)

Thanks for the recommends on those titles Paul. I've been going like a madman, the Celetstial titles here are really cheap in Taipei and I picked up a big stack, those are just the ones I didn't find any info about and a few of them were in the new "Shaw" release section at the store...

Speaking on Kung Fu flicks, theres a TV station out here in Taiwan that just shows Shaw Bros/Jackie Chan, etc. flicks 24/7, it's dope to have on... last week they had Dirty Ho playing all the time...

If you want those records Paul, holla, they are at the store. I think there are 4 x red 10" records in each box set...

peace.

• Speaking on Kung Fu flicks, theres a TV station out here in Taiwan that just shows Shaw Bros/Jackie Chan, etc. flicks 24/7, it's dope to have on... last week they had Dirty Ho playing all the time...[/b]

Man, that's some ol' died and went to heaven shit right thurr....

If you want those records Paul, holla, they are at the store. I think there are 4 x red 10" records in each box set...

I'm good, but I'm sure there's some cats on the kf board who'd be willing to fork over some dough for these.
    I'll post the pic and see what's good.

Word paul, if you wanna make the profit, just hit me on the gmail. I didn't ask how much, but I'll be hittin' that spot next weekend.

Yeah man, that TV stations a trip, they play them off the DVDs with the subtitles (not the English dubs), but there are 3 other stations that play all the Hong Kong and Taiwanese gangster movies and cop movies and all that good Sci-Fi weird shit from the 70s. Seriously NEXT LEVEL!!!!

If I had a VCR, I would definitly be taping!!!

peace.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

I'll just drop knowledge on the films that Paul didn't comment on.

peace

h

Swordsman At Large - This wasn't too bad - dudes from the "Martial World" or Jiang Hu fight it out for the fabled "Deer Knife", a long dagger in a hairy scabbard that looks like a big furry cock. There's some good acting in ths one, nice sets, & decent action. I wouldn't call it essential, but it was better than I expected.

Battle Wizards - Paul knows I like this one! This movie was off the hook! Think Flash Gordon meets Chinese Mythology. Great effects for the time - dudes shooting lazers from fingers, all kinds of weird magic effects. Has gotta be one of the craziest films I've ever seen. Call up some friends & put this one on. Lots of laughs, lots of action, freaky bad guys & hot chicks. Recommended.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    paul/chan.

i found these shaw brothers 10" box sets at a shop out here in Taiwan, there's meant to be a lot more at the other shop... here are some pics. Didn't get a chance to have a listen to what's on them...

There's a seller on ebay that has these for sale from time to time. They put them up for 50.00 bucks a set. I think that's the Love Eterne, too. It was very popular.

peace

h

• So this doesn't really merit its own thread, and I'll admit that I haven't read everything in this one, but I figure this is as good a place as any to ask:

What is the deal with that ONE accent in kung fu flick dubs? It's usually either the sifu or the one heavy (but not the little weaselly bad guy--I'll speak on him in a minute).

It's usually the guy who says, "Heeeey...your kung fu is pretty good." Or even the guy from "Five Deadly Venoms" who says, "Toad style is immensely strong."

That accent is clearly not Cantonese, HK or Asian of any sort, nor is it British in any way, yet it's not an accent I have ever heard from an American.

And the weaselly dude is just a higher-pitched, testosterone-derived version of the above.

I was watching a dubbed rerun of an old Iron Chef the other day and one of the judges was dubbed in that same voice, which is what made me think of it. Anyone have a theory?

BTW: This is the totally voice that I imagine Big Chan to use at all time.

So this doesn't really merit its own thread, and I'll admit that I haven't read everything in this one, but I figure this is as good a place as any to ask:

What is the deal with that ONE accent in kung fu flick dubs? It's usually either the sifu or the one heavy (but not the little weaselly bad guy--I'll speak on him in a minute).

It's usually the guy who says, "Heeeey...your kung fu is pretty good." Or even the guy from "Five Deadly Venoms" who says, "Toad style is immensely strong."

That accent is clearly not Cantonese, HK or Asian of any sort, nor is it British in any way, yet it's not an accent I have ever heard from an American.

And the weaselly dude is just a higher-pitched, testosterone-derived version of the above.

I was watching a dubbed rerun of an old Iron Chef the other day and one of the judges was dubbed in that same voice, which is what made me think of it. Anyone have a theory?

BTW: This is the totally voice that I imagine Big Chan to use at all time.

I'd like know this as well,it seems like most if not all the movies were dubbed by the same person/s

• ^The wierdest dub is Jackie Chan in Drunken Master. It's like a Surfer from New Zealand.

anyways............ Someone tell me what's up with the ending to Dirty Ho?

I watched it last night. Great flick, but it just ends. What happens once he gets in the meeting? Who does pop pick? What happens to 4th prince?

Is there a part two to this or what? That ending got me fiending for a part two.