NBA '11-12 666

Comments

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    sorry, triple post.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i just wanted thoughts on why the balanced team approach cant work.

If it hasn't in the past your betting your money on your team to win it all w/ something that hasnt been done?

• whatup ray!! fun to be smashing the scrubby teams mouths, right?

bat, youre acting illiterate!! i keep trying to divorce this conversation from the sixers and where they are at. theyre not built for a chip this year. Im just interested in opinions as to why well balanced/no superstar teams havent ever won (besides detroit). so far, everyones thoughts are, "well they havent before" well....[krs]WHY IS THAT????[/krs]

watching this well coached, deep, unselfish sixers squad got me thinking that its possible. maybe not with us, but since the sixers brought this up...i think if we hit the right two trades we could be a legit contender next year sans superstar. i'm not even getting my hopes up, its just interesting to contemplate since its barely been done.

• in other news....does it already seem like theres more injuries than usual this year?
    maybe not, but camby, horford just went down to add to the list

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    in other news....does it already seem like theres more injuries than usual this year?
    Yes, and some are saying it's due to the lack of training camp (lockout related)

• i mean that part went without saying

So you think there are more than more than the usual number of injuries?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    From an inteview with Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus, a statistical website, done by Golden State of Mind:

GSoM: Well then...you have forced me to ask: if you had to choose between Steph Curry or Monta Ellis to build around, who would it be based on the numbers?

KP: Absent the ankle, it would definitely be Curry. I think you can build a winning team around Ellis--like the We Believe team--but it would require just the right mix of talent around him. To build a competitive defense with Ellis, you'd have to put him alongside a big guard and to make that work on offense that player would have to both be able to distribute and shoot the three. Those kind of players are rare and valuable. Curry is much easier to translate to any situation.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2012/1/13/2705030/basketball-prospectus-golden-state-warriors-nate-robinson

motown67 said:
    From an inteview with Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus, a statistical website, done by Golden State of Mind:

GSoM: Well then...you have forced me to ask: if you had to choose between Steph Curry or Monta Ellis to build around, who would it be based on the numbers?

KP: Absent the ankle, it would definitely be Curry. I think you can build a winning team around Ellis--like the We Believe team--but it would require just the right mix of talent around him. To build a competitive defense with Ellis, you'd have to put him alongside a big guard and to make that work on offense that player would have to both be able to distribute and shoot the three. Those kind of players are rare and valuable. Curry is much easier to translate to any situation.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2012/1/13/2705030/basketball-prospectus-golden-state-warriors-nate-robinson

I done said that

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    in other news....does it already seem like theres more injuries than usual this year?

Shorter training camps and condensed schedule (back-to-back-to-backs)

Warriors come out to plaaaaayyeeeeeeaaaaaaay!

• only the warriors could lose off a no call kick ball. doh!

can we stop talking less about the Warriors and more about legit teams?

yuichi said:

Haha......

Give me your take on The Lakers this year.

Seems like healthy Bynum is a big plus and Kobe is reverting to his pre-Gasol go fo self game.

And your bench is questionable.

Im settling in to watch sixers vs heat.
    Should be a perfect superstar team vs non-superstar team example game (and just a good game to boot).

I like the Miami commentators. They are one of the few local commentators that dont make me to throw something at the screen.
    Clippers are the worst. Chicago used to be.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    yuichi said:

no we can't. it's all we have (apart from some pretty good baseball and football teams up here).

do you all still think that jackson is a legit coach?
    the metric i'm holding his legitimacy to is a .500 team, which is a low bar to meet and which will probably not happen.
    i've seen jackson outcoached several times this season against teams the warriors should have beat (pacers, sixers, nets, charlotte, etc.) They wont hit 30 wins and god damned phoenix (a team with much less talent) will make the playoffs before the warriors.

so far, he's teh suck.

edit: a prime example of his idiot stubborn coaching was that horrible insistence on sticking with hack-a-howard when the warriros were TIED IN THE FIRST HALF.
    dude had starters and bench players racking up ungodly amounts of fouls in the second and third quarters AWAY FROM THE BALL so when the game was close down the stretch, everyone was playing with four or five fouls. at least howard set a free throw attempt record though, right?

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Haha......

Seems like healthy Bynum is a big plus and Kobe is reverting to his pre-Gasol go fo self game.

JimBeam said:
    yuichi said:

no we can't. it's all we have (apart from some pretty good baseball and football teams up here).

do you all still think that jackson is a legit coach?
    the metric i'm holding his legitimacy to is a .500 team, which is a low bar to meet and which will probably not happen.
    i've seen jackson outcoached several times this season against teams the warriors should have beat (pacers, sixers, nets, charlotte, etc.) They wont hit 30 wins and god damned phoenix (a team with much less talent) will make the playoffs before the warriors.

so far, he's teh suck.

edit: a prime example of his idiot stubborn coaching was that horrible insistence on sticking with hack-a-howard when the warriros were TIED IN THE FIRST HALF.
    dude had starters and bench players racking up ungodly amounts of fouls in the second and third quarters AWAY FROM THE BALL so when the game was close down the stretch, everyone was playing with four or five fouls. at least howard set a free throw attempt record though, right?

the warriors are too small. another coach aint gonna solve that.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Haha......

I was very much under the same impression that this year's Lakers were mediocre because
    Kobe was hogging the ball.

I actually went to Staples tonight and realized that Gasol and Bynum are really bad at establishing good low-post position on a consistent
    basis. I mean, when your PF is just wandering around 18feet....you'd probably be better off having another 3 on the floor....

I blame letting go of Lamar, and Pau not having any fire in his game at all. In summary, the Lakers will not have a deep playoff run....

Brandon Jennings = baller. 36 at MSG. Same D'Antoni. Knicks suck

Roy Hibbert is LEGIT. 13, 10, and 1.6 blocks? LEGIT. Dude more than held his own against Bynum tonight.
    George Hill was raining threes....Pacers now 11-4. LEGIT.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Haha......

I was very much under the same impression that this year's Lakers were mediocre because

I actually went to Staples tonight and realized that Gasol and Bynum are really bad at establishing good low-post position on a consistent
    basis. I mean, when your PF is just wandering around 18feet....you'd probably be better off having another 3 on the floor....

I blame letting go of Lamar, and Pau not having any fire in his game at all. In summary, the Lakers will not have a deep playoff run....

If Kobe doesnt score no one seems to be taking the Pippen role. I dont know if they are lettin Kobe do his thang with the new offense, or dudes arent attacking enuff. Matt Barnes is supossed to be that second slasher but.....
    Fisher has to go the second unit.
    Bynum and Gasol are still scary but they need the ball more.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    Matt Barnes is supossed to be that second slasher but.....

If you game plan calls for Matt Barnes to do anything other than foul people, hit the occasional corner 3, and win the League's Shittiest Tattoos award, then your team is in bad shape.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Haha......

If Kobe doesnt score no one seems to be taking the Pippen role. I dont know if they are lettin Kobe do his thang with the new offense, or dudes arent attacking enuff. Matt Barnes is supossed to be that second slasher but.....

Mark Gasol > Pau Gasol

Lakers are def getting used to Mike Brown's more free-flowing system that's for sure. Not only on the offensive end, but on defense too. It's a more active defense, with a strong emphasis on help D. I think as long as the Lakers committ fully to Brown's philosophy, they could do well in the playoffs. Doesn't bode so well in the regular season though.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Haha......

Mark Gasol > Pau Gasol

Lakers are def getting used to Mike Brown's more free-flowing system that's for sure. Not only on the offensive end, but on defense too. It's a more active defense, with a strong emphasis on help D. I think as long as the Lakers committ fully to Brown's philosophy, they could do well in the playoffs. Doesn't bode so well in the regular season though.

Im surprised youve been taken by Mike Browns game. He looked like deer in headlights when the pressure got hot with the Cavs.
    LeBron bailed his ass out, until the darkenss came to light that both of them were suspect...imo.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:

If you game plan calls for Matt Barnes to do anything other than foul people, hit the occasional corner 3, and win the League's Shittiest Tattoos award, then your team is in bad shape.

marquis daniels wins the shittiest tattoo award by a long shot

Im surprised youve been taken by Mike Browns game. He looked like deer in headlights when the pressure got hot with the Cavs.
    LeBron bailed his ass out, until the darkenss came to light that both of them were suspect...imo.

I mean with what the Cavs had, I think they overachieved. Mike Brown is a good alternative to Phil Jackson in terms of being able to manage superstars. He also is a defensive-minded coach, which I like.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Went to the warriors game tonight. Wish I hadn't.

yuichi said:

I mean with what the Cavs had, I think they overachieved. Mike Brown is a good alternative to Phil Jackson in terms of being able to manage superstars. He also is a defensive-minded coach, which I like.

Im not sure he really managed LeBron, but yeah he is defensive minded.

JimBeam said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:

marquis daniels wins the shittiest tattoo award by a long shot
    Kenyon Martin's got to be in the running...