NBA '11-12 666

Comments

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    batmon said:
    If they still want him to " do his thang" I would get a PG like Chalmers that can hit the Three and/or run the offense to get better distribution.
    Yup. I said this exact thing a few pages back.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    batmon said:

Lin is not gonna get resigned.

I'd be surprised. Even if he rode the bench all season they will profit off the merch.

Fan favorite

29 mil is crazy though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    batmon said:

I'd be surprised. Even if he rode the bench all season they will profit off the merch.

Fan favorite

29 mil is crazy though.

No doubt.

But that might fusk their cap up more thn what it is.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    Horseleech said:
    batmon said:
    Kidd and Camby will help the Knicks bench.

I still don't see the Knicks getting out of the first round.

But then, I don't really buy Melo as that dude to build a team around.

I also don't see what kind if team identity they're going to build with the pieces they have.

Kidd/Felton
    JR Smith/Shumpert
    Melo/James White
    Amare/Kurt Thomas/Novak
    Chandler/Camby

With one whole year under their belt I think they will do better than last year. At least one more round deeper.
    Kidd and the other old dudes should wash away the knucklehead mood.
    They've fortified their bench and the the Bulls and Orlando will be weaker.

Haha, the Felton deal had not happened when I wrote that post - Woodson was still saying that Lin was their starter at the time.

Part of my issue before is that Melo/Stat and Lin/Landry seemed to be two totally different teams. The Knicks never should have traded Felton to begin with, and I know there's an ancient post here where I said so at the time. I think bringing him back was a very good move and I also think that Lin is not worth the $$$ - he's only started 25 NBA games and he gets 25 mil? That's Linsanity, imo.

I like Schumpert a lot, but according to some reports his knee is really screwed, we will see.

So now they can win the second round, but I still don't think Melo has the intensity and focus to bring home a championship.

• just thinking more on the "dream team v. team USA" debate.... and how the argument is that the present team has alot more skill with alot more size than the 92 team. that is very, very true. but the insane pussyfication of superstars in the last two decades would make for a bloodbath of unheralded proportions.

i'd actually pay money to watch russell westbrook drive the lane and run into barkley, robinson, ewing, et al. and live to tell about it. kobe would be carried out on a gurney by the second quarter and the whole young squad would show up wearing chain mail for the second half. so long speed.

Giving it some thought, I think the Knicks shoulddef let Lin go. He'll get paid but win nothing in Houston - power move?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Giving it some thought, I think the Knicks shoulddef let Lin go. He'll get paid but win nothing in Houston - power move?

Knick fans should expect no more than 15-20 minutes a night out of Jason Kidd

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DrWu said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Durant would make the Dream Team.

No question....and about 4-5 others.

Who's spot does he take? I guess he'd sit on the bench instead of Laetner..

I think you drop Pippen, Mullin, Drexler and Laettner and add Durant, LeBron, Kobe and DWade

I might take Kevin Love over Bird at that stage of his career but if we are talking about each player being in their prime, no way.

Pippen stays.
    DWade is injured and isnt on the 2012 team.

LeBron, Durant and Old Kobe > Bird, Stockton, and Laettner.

Daly didnt use Stockton much and had Jordan, Pippen, Drexler and Magic running the show.

Mullin is the best shooter from both sides (omitting Bird). Yes better than Durant.

You are out of your mind if you think anyone on the current team, including LeBron, is as good a player as Bird in his prime. It's not even close. Bird was a better shooter, passer and leader than all of those guys. And dude did it with the disadvantage of playing below the rim against the Showtime Lakers. Unfuckwithable. Lebron may yet become that guy but he aint there yet. Kobe is pretty close, especially since he figured out how to win it without Shaq. But I doubt MJ would take Kobe over Bird in a pick up game.

Stockton is a better set up man than Wade (Wade is more complete as a scorer of course). And don't forget that Stockton was a very good defender (2.2 steals/gm). Pippen was one of the finest perimeter defenders to ever play. Could shoot to keep them honest. When he was in Portland, at the end of his career, I saw him do things on the defensive end that defied belief. A total beast of a player. And to address the original point. Nobody on that team today is any more athletic than he was.

Rock, do you think the current Olympic squad could handle the dream team?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Knick fans should expect no more than 15-20 minutes a night out of Jason Kidd

That's OK, Felton is going to start.

batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DrWu said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Durant would make the Dream Team.

No question....and about 4-5 others.

Who's spot does he take? I guess he'd sit on the bench instead of Laetner..

I think you drop Pippen, Mullin, Drexler and Laettner and add Durant, LeBron, Kobe and DWade

I might take Kevin Love over Bird at that stage of his career but if we are talking about each player being in their prime, no way.

Pippen stays.
    DWade is injured and isnt on the 2012 team.

LeBron, Durant and Old Kobe > Bird, Stockton, and Laettner.

Daly didnt use Stockton much and had Jordan, Pippen, Drexler and Magic running the show.

Mullin is the best shooter from both sides (omitting Bird). Yes better than Durant.

You are out of your mind if you think anyone on the current team, including LeBron, is as good a player as Bird in his prime. It's not even close. Bird was a better shooter, passer and leader than all of those guys. And dude did it with the disadvantage of playing below the rim against the Showtime Lakers. Unfuckwithable. Lebron may yet become that guy but he aint there yet. Kobe is pretty close, especially since he figured out how to win it without Shaq. But I doubt MJ would take Kobe over Bird in a pick up game.

Stockton is a better set up man than Wade (Wade is more complete as a scorer of course). And don't forget that Stockton was a very good defender (2.2 steals/gm). Pippen was one of the finest perimeter defenders to ever play. Could shoot to keep them honest. When he was in Portland, at the end of his career, I saw him do things on the defensive end that defied belief. A total beast of a player. And to address the original point. Nobody on that team today is any more athletic than he was.

Im talkin about Bird of the Dream Team in 92 who had a bad back. He hardly even played to shoot the ball enuff to be effective.
    He is not a factor in this comparison. Mullin was in his prime and probably drunk.
    Wade isnt on the 2012 team.
    Kobe won without Shaq bacause Gasol won the Ring for him.

Get up to speed.

Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Knick fans should expect no more than 15-20 Long Island Iced Ts a night out of Jason Kidd

:beerbang:

DrWu said:

The '92 Dream Team included a past his prime Bird and a close behind Magic.

That being said I think they still beat the current team because they played unselfishly and had some amazing true leaders....guys who just refused to lose.

As pointed out here many times in the past, as players become more athletic they rely more on their athleticism and less on fundamentals.

In the 80's the NBA reached a peak of amazing athletes who were still brought up on solid fundamentals...the '92 team was at the tail end of that window.

batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Knick fans should expect no more than 15-20 Long Island Iced Ts a night out of Jason Kidd

:beerbang:

Can you blame him....after all, I have it on good authority that once Mitt Romney is elected Prez, Long Island Ice Teas will be outlawed.

once again blown away that a guy making however many millions over the course of his career doesn't give Milton the keys before a night of drinking. I remember hearing that the NFL has a network of dudes on call just to drive wasted players home and prevent DWIs (or worse)

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    once again blown away that a guy making however many millions over the course of his career doesn't give Milton the keys before a night of drinking. I remember hearing that the NFL has a network of dudes on call just to drive wasted players home and prevent DWIs (or worse)

lol MILTON

Jonny_Paycheck said:

He wont win in Houston, but he'll get that Asian Community Yao Ming Merch money.

Im not sold on Felton. Dude had the same DAntoni success in NYC as Lin but didnt do shit once he left.

I don't know man. Lin wasn't selling no jerseys until he starting winning.

big Asian community in Houston, it's a good fit for him marketing-wise.

They loved Shane Battier down there. But he went to Miami to be a ringer for the LeBrynasty.

if they get Dwightmare, maybe they could do something.

:dodododo:

Jonny_Paycheck said:

They loved Shane Battier down there. But he went to Miami to be a ringer for the LeBrynasty.

He wasnt gettin any light when he played for Golden State and Houston, so i bet the Houston promo team will use his NYC "momentum" to make folks believe hes gonna do them same type shit in Houston.

Mad Japanese cats in my hood during the Matsui era.

haha... I lived in Astoria at that time and had no TV. I used to go to this one bar to catch games, and the local dudes would do the following chants at the bar... "let's go Jeter [duh duh duh-duh-duh]" "So-ri-a-no [duh duh duh-duh-duh]" "Bernie Baseball* [duh duh duh-duh-duh]" "Yankee-Sui [duh duh duh-duh-duh]" :beer: :lalala: :weird:

*I like Bernie Williams and all that but he's no Don Mattingly.

haha... I lived in Astoria at that time and had no TV. I used to go to this one bar to catch games, and the local dudes would do the following chants at the bar... "let's go Jeter [duh duh duh-duh-duh]" "So-ri-a-no [duh duh duh-duh-duh]" "Bernie Baseball* [duh duh duh-duh-duh]" "Yankee-Sui [duh duh duh-duh-duh]" :beer: :lalala: :weird:

*I like Bernie Williams and all that but he's no Don Mattingly.

ha....

b/w.........Nuevo Yankee Fans in Queens......

Jonny_Paycheck said:

Lin started winning right off the bat when the Knicks tried him as a last resort....people were throwing around HOF talk(yeah, that amazingly happened}...Ivy League Asian dude w/ good looks and game sells everywhere......1/2 the folks who bought Lin NY jerseys will re-up with Houston garb.....dude was in the perfect storm of building a career in 6 weeks on the NYC stage.....at least now they can't call him The Big Apple Turnover

Jeremy Lin has one big marketing angle that didn't mean jackshit in NYC but will make him gazillions in Texas.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Jeremy Lin has one big marketing angle that didn't mean jackshit in NYC but will make him gazillions in Texas.

Do tell...

Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:

Do tell...

With Tebow in NY Lin is the heir apparent as Christian media darling....in Texas no less.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

how is TX diff from NYC? are you talking about the asian population in TX? or exposure to market a la YAO?

mylatency said:
    Rockadelic said:

how is TX diff from NYC? are you talking about the asian population in TX? or exposure to market a la YAO?

See Above....THIS IS THE BIBLE BELT BABY!!

http://gnli.christianpost.com/video/jeremy-lin-testimony-1046

The NYC Asian population was into LIN big time.
    During Linsanity the Knicks broadcasts would show groups of Local Asian brothers supporting him hard.

I met this cat at a party who guaranteed the Knicks would get to the second round no problem. And then Lin got injured.

He was smart to up his worth and will get support in both markets, but NYC would really get him extra money.

Linsanity is bolstered by the medias dependence on New York City. Shit aint the same in any other city.

Tebow is another over hyped white boy. Lin is a whole nother untapped demographic who is also a Christian.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:

Tebow is another over hyped white boy.

According to Conservapedia: "The liberal media treated [Peyton Manning] like the Second Coming of Christ in order to oust conservative Tim Tebow from his leadership position in the swing state of Colorado prior to the Presidential Election 2012."

It's a c-o-n...spiracy!

batmon said:
    The NYC Asian population was into LIN big time.
    During Linsanity the Knicks broadcasts would show groups of Local Asian brothers supporting him hard.

I met this cat at a party who guaranteed the Knicks would get to the second round no problem. And then Lin got injured.

He was smart to up his worth and will get support in both markets, but NYC would really get him extra money.

Linsanity is bolstered by the medias dependence on New York City. Shit aint the same in any other city.

Tebow is another over hyped white boy. Lin is a whole nother untapped demographic who is also a Christian.

Tebow takes average talent + some wins + overt Christian moves = most popular/talked about player in NFL

Lin can do the same....on top of being Asian.

Personally I don't think the Tebow/Christian angle is going to fly in NYC...but in Texas dude is a GOD

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:

Do tell...

With Tebow in NY Lin is the heir apparent as Christian media darling....in Texas no less.

Not a bad point, Rock.