NBA '11-12 666

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Dream Team in prime > 2012 Team in prime

Not even close

Find me one legit basketball pundit who says otherwise.

I'm sure plenty of experts would go with the 2012 Team. You guys don't seem to understand the concept of evolution in a sport that is relatively new. Better athletes, better training, better coaching, etc.

It will be impossible to compare though, because the rest of the world has gotten better at a much quicker pace (since they were so far behind). The 2012 Team will win a gold, but the margins won't be anywhere near as big.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    batmon said:
    edpowers said:
    But nevermind all that....please to explain why The Pacers dumped Collison and Jones for that stiff ?

Hill knocked Collison ou of his job. Jones i liked but George and Orlando Johnson have knocked his ass out.
    Lance Stevenson is looking for minutes too.

Plus we need a back up Center behind Hibbert.

Pendergraph is a PF. West and Handsbrough have played the C when in need. But that shit aint working.

Mahanmi or whatever I recall getting some minutes during Dallas Finals run. Ive seen him hustle.
    Heard he cant score a lick.

I've been watching almost all the summer league games. Pendergraph is a legit 7' and has been one of the best players so far. Very aggressive, some of the best dunks. Looks like he could step right in now and play 5-10 minutes as a back-up center.

Detroit's A. Drummond on the other hand. 1st 2 games you couldn't even tell he was in the game. Third game played good.

F. Melo for Boston doesn't do shit. His last game finally got some rebounds at least

Sullinger on the other hand for the Celts really knows how to play even though he plays below the rim

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    Rockadelic said:

Not even close

I'm sure plenty of experts would go with the 2012 Team. You guys don't seem to understand the concept of evolution in a sport that is relatively new. Better athletes, better training, better coaching, etc.

It will be impossible to compare though, because the rest of the world has gotten better at a much quicker pace (since they were so far behind). The 2012 Team will win a gold, but the margins won't be anywhere near as big.

Folks that support the whole faster game, better training and etc, forget that dudes from the 80s had better fundamentals.

Westbrook is the perfect example of a dude that just attacks with no sense of getting his teamates involved.
    Pippen, Drexler, Jordan, Magic, and Stockton could all attack yet still get their teammates involved without going NUT.

Jordan says despite the age difference they had dudes with experience. Ill take that over athleticsm.
    Miami was more "athletic" than Dallas in the Finals.

motown67 said:
    batmon said:
    edpowers said:
    But nevermind all that....please to explain why The Pacers dumped Collison and Jones for that stiff ?

Hill knocked Collison ou of his job. Jones i liked but George and Orlando Johnson have knocked his ass out.

Pendergraph is a PF. West and Handsbrough have played the C when in need. But that shit aint working.

Mahanmi or whatever I recall getting some minutes during Dallas Finals run. Ive seen him hustle.

I've been watching almost all the summer league games. Pendergraph is a legit 7' and has been one of the best players so far. Very aggressive, some of the best dunks. Looks like he could step right in now and play 5-10 minutes as a back-up center.

Yeah, he can leap and has a year under his belt with Portland. I hope he pans out.

Pumlee looks good..

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    my sixers seem to be cementing their own boots for their swim in the river of mediocrity. talk about some lowfi moves. the biggest shit we did this off season is eat 18mil on elton brands contract. after that, we signed up on a bunch of mid sized players that no one else especially wanted to 2 year contracts. capped today by bringing in Kwame Brown. there is some professed excitement about our end of the first round pick up Moultrie, but i dont know his game.

not sure what they are setting themselves up to do but it is pretty low profile and boring. frontoffice seems scared to be more than a second tier market.

hows the offseason shaping up for your teams?

batmon said:
    motown67 said:
    batmon said:
    edpowers said:

Yeah, he can leap and has a year under his belt with Portland. I hope he pans out.

Pumlee looks good..

Oops I was actually talking about the rookie from Duke. He looks really good

Im happy with my Pacers.
    We retained and overpaid a little Hibbert.
    Hill maintains the PG position.
    We got to back up big men to help Handsbrough and West.
    We got a big steal in DJ Augustine to back up Hill, which fills in for the loss of Collison.
    DJ is a more traditional floor general than these new small shooting guards running the point these days.
    Ive been waiting hard for Lance Stevenson to emerge. I hope he gets into the second unit this season.
    Paul George should do his thing this season.
    Yeah....Pumlee is not scurred at all.

Im surprised at Philly. Theyve built a nice team but needed to tweak some shit.
    Holiday is gonna be better. Iggy is Iggy but is maybe getting paid too much for them to draw a star.
    Thaddeous Young should get more minutes w/ Brand gone.
    That big white boy should step up as well. He a legit big man.
    Yall need a pure scorer and you let Lou Williams go, who needs more minutes somewhere else, and is too short to IMO.

Orlando is a joke.

Kidd and Camby will help the Knicks bench.

Im not scarred of the New York Nets at all.
    Joe Johnson is past his prime and Wallace is a bloated role player.
    Lopez has to remain healthy and get his game up.
    Deron Williams will make them cohesive though.

What is Dallas doin?
    They blew up the Championship team..... cool. It was a one time thang at their age, but i dont see what direction they are going.
    And they should prepare to make Dork the second option and not think dude is gonna be killin shit like that.

The Clippers are not playing.
    Billups will be back and Crawford will be a nice scoring addition.
    If everyone is healthy they will be better. Butler should be able to play a full season hopefully.

batmon said:

Holiday is gonna be better. Iggy is Iggy but is maybe getting paid too much for them to draw a star.
    Yall need a pure scorer and you let Lou Williams go, who needs more minutes somewhere else, and is too short to IMO.

i like iggy a lot, but i wouldnt be mad if he got traded away. regardless next year is it for his bloated contract.
    hopefully holiday will improve. hes got heart and skills, just needs to be consistent. tthey may move him to the 2
    thad young is a good player but is not the answer to anything
    it is somewhat optimistic to call hawes a legit big man. his health is a big question mark as is his ability to play like a center. he may get shifted down to power(less)forward if moultrie and kwame brown get minutes.
    we need a del curry skill set and im not sure if nick young can be that dude. we need low post scorer and we got lavoy allen (a 2nd round surprise but an unproven youngster) and kwame brown (an infinitely underwhelming, often injured, scrub)

theyll still be young and still run, but they made no big gains. a defensive olympian, lots of question marks, long term projects and journeymen. we'll be just good enough to lose our lottery protected first round pick to miami.

sorry for the long post. im sure no one is very interested in my boring ass home team

tripledouble said:
    batmon said:

i like iggy a lot, but i wouldnt be mad if he got traded away. regardless next year is it for his bloated contract.
    hopefully holiday will improve. hes got heart and skills, just needs to be consistent. tthey may move him to the 2
    thad young is a good player but is not the answer to anything
    it is somewhat optimistic to call hawes a legit big man. his health is a big question mark as is his ability to play like a center. he may get shifted down to power(less)forward if moultrie and kwame brown get minutes.
    we need a del curry skill set and im not sure if nick young can be that dude. we need low post scorer and we got lavoy allen (a 2nd round surprise but an unproven youngster) and kwame brown (an infinitely underwhelming, often injured, scrub)

theyll still be young and still run, but they made no big gains. a defensive olympian, lots of question marks, long term projects and journeymen. we'll be just good enough to lose our lottery protected first round pick to miami.

sorry for the long post. im sure no one is very interested in my boring ass home team

I forgot they got Nick Young. He's a nut.
    Yeah i heard they will shift Hawes to PF with Brown at Center.

i think we were due for a big free agent splash. even a semi big free agent splash. the last one was brand, and although he's a good dude, it really did NOT pan out. we are looking and acting like an nba backwater that cant draw any big names. even ilyasova would have been fun

Lance Stevenson has been playing really good in the summer league. Dude is big and strong. HIs problem is that he's not a real point guard. He's a combo guard, but coming off the bench that may not matter as much.

Joe Johnson needs some real coaching. In Atlanta he just dribbled and dribbled and then put up a shot. He didn't play like that in Phoenix with Nash. Hopefully new system and D. Williams will make him change up.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    yuichi said:
    Also Kobe does have a point in basically saying, the NBA has a LOT of superstars right now. Definitely the most since MJ retired.

I mean there's Kobe, Durant, Lebron, Wade, Paul, Rose, Nowitzki, Westbrook, Duncan, Nash, Pierce, Ray Allen, KG......

all these dudes are hall-of-famers....

Bit too early to tell on Durant, Westbrook and Rose.

Unless Rose has a career-ending injury soon, he's on his way. Westbrook has barely missed a game since he entered the league. Durant will for sure be in, first ballot with 5 more years averaging 25+ a game and a few more title runs.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Westbrook is the perfect example of a dude that just attacks with no sense of getting his teamates involved.

If you watched any of the OKC games this post-season, there is no way in hell you can knock Westbrook's game.

The dude was ill as shit. bottom line.

If you can burn a guy off the dribble all night, you do that. I don't believe any of the "80s, 90s players had better fundamentals, more team work" bull shit. The same team work and defense ALWAYS wins out in the end. You're just doing it with more speed and power in the NBA these days.

yuichi said:

If you watched any of the OKC games this post-season, there is no way in hell you can knock Westbrook's game.

The dude was ill as shit. bottom line.

If you can burn a guy off the dribble all night, you do that. I don't believe any of the "80s, 90s players had better fundamentals, more team work" bull shit. The same team work and defense ALWAYS wins out in the end. You're just doing it with more speed and power in the NBA these days.

How does he have more attempts than Durant? Thats not getting the number one scorer in the league involved.
    Just because you can score doesnt mean you should as the Point Guard.

These new kids dont have back to basket games.

Tim Hardaway, Jordan, Steve Smith, Magic, Mark Jackson, Dumars, Gary Payton,Pippen, Mullin,Mitchk Richmond, Penny Hardaway, Drexler, Bird, many of the Dream Team one and two players could post up at the elbow or in the block and could either distribute or score down low.
    They were more well rounded IMO. Shit Kevin Willis had a damn jump shot. Perkins doesnt.
    It took LeBron how many years to play in the post? He had to get taught years later by Hakeem instead of his HS or college coach.
    And get the ring because of that. Not dunking and shooting threes.

Westbrook aint doin that. Im sorry being a dumb athlete isnt enough and it showed in the Finals. There were times were the shit worked for Westbrook but many times his teammates just stood around and never got involved. They have no half court offense. No post play and questionable ball sharing.

These kids dont stay in college and the past cats did for the most part. You tellin me Westbrook is just as fundamentally sound as Grant Hill?
    Hill after all his injuries is still in the league playing an all around game despite losing his burst. I really dont seee the seeds of longevity with Westbrook if someone doesnt convince him to round out his all-attack style.
    I think OKC would be better off with him at the SG with a PG feeding Durant first and then Westbrook. And you could let WB go nut when the opportunity arrives on fast breaks or when he gets his rebounds.

Iverson didnt have a Durant. And this dude does, and still plays Hero Ball. Thats suspect.

batmon you're forgetting that they're faster and more athletic these days and NOTHING else matters.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    motown67 said:
    batmon you're forgetting that they're faster and more athletic these days and NOTHING else matters.

Dude

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    Rockadelic said:

Not even close

I am not buying that anyone on the current team is more athletic than Pippen or Jordan or can distribute at the level of Stockton or Magic or is the kind of big game player as Bird. Does anyone here think Tyson Chandler could hold David Robinson's jock? The only two current players who would be on the dream team are Lebron and Kobe. Neither would start. I think the Dream Team hands this current squad their ass.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    yuichi said:
    Also Kobe does have a point in basically saying, the NBA has a LOT of superstars right now. Definitely the most since MJ retired.

I mean there's Kobe, Durant, Lebron, Wade, Paul, Rose, Nowitzki, Westbrook, Duncan, Nash, Pierce, Ray Allen, KG......

all these dudes are hall-of-famers....

Bit too early to tell on Durant, Westbrook and Rose.

Unless Rose has a career-ending injury soon, he's on his way. Westbrook has barely missed a game since he entered the league. Durant will for sure be in, first ballot with 5 more years averaging 25+ a game and a few more title runs.

Not missing games isn't really a stat that will get you in the HOF, otherwise AC Green would be hanging in ther baller's lounge. Rose just blew up his knee. Agreed that Durant could go, provided he stays healthy, same with Rose.

Westbrook? :ehhx2:

Durant would make the Dream Team.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:

I still don't see the Knicks getting out of the first round.

But then, I don't really buy Melo as that dude to build a team around.

I also don't see what kind if team identity they're going to build with the pieces they have.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Ive given a Westbrook a lot of heat over the last couple of years, but it's not his fault. If he could play his natural position, he could possibly be in the running for the hall. The guy has an insane game. The Thunder just insist on putting him at the point and then everyone gets on his back when he doesnt distribute.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:

No question....and about 4-5 others.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:

Who's spot does he take? I guess he'd sit on the bench instead of Laetner..

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DrWu said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:

I think you drop Pippen, Mullin, Drexler and Laettner and add Durant, LeBron, Kobe and DWade

I might take Kevin Love over Bird at that stage of his career but if we are talking about each player being in their prime, no way.

Rockadelic said:
    DrWu said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:

I think you drop Pippen, Mullin, Drexler and Laettner and add Durant, LeBron, Kobe and DWade

I might take Kevin Love over Bird at that stage of his career but if we are talking about each player being in their prime, no way.

Pippen stays.
    DWade is injured and isnt on the 2012 team.

LeBron, Durant and Old Kobe > Bird, Stockton, and Laettner.

Daly didnt use Stockton much and had Jordan, Pippen, Drexler and Magic running the show.

Mullin is the best shooter from both sides (omitting Bird). Yes better than Durant.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    batmon said:
    Pippen stays.
    Agreed. Defence, ball handling, unselfishness.

batmon said:
    Mullin is the best 2-point shooter from both sides (omitting Bird). Yes better than Durant.

If you're talking NBA 3 I would agree, Mullin was not as consistent with those. For his career he shot a respectable .384.

Surprisingly that was a better % than Bird who shot a career .376 from behind the arc.

Olympic 3 is closer and hence Mullin shot a mind blowing 15 for 30 from 3 during the 1992 Olympics

Horseleech said:
    batmon said:

I still don't see the Knicks getting out of the first round.

But then, I don't really buy Melo as that dude to build a team around.

I also don't see what kind if team identity they're going to build with the pieces they have.

Kidd/Felton
    JR Smith/Shumpert
    Melo/James White
    Amare/Kurt Thomas/Novak
    Chandler/Camby

With one whole year under their belt I think they will do better than last year. At least one more round deeper.
    Kidd and the other old dudes should wash away the knucklehead mood.
    They've fortified their bench and the the Bulls and Orlando will be weaker.

Lin is not gonna get resigned.

mattB said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Ive given a Westbrook a lot of heat over the last couple of years, but it's not his fault. If he could play his natural position, he could possibly be in the running for the hall. The guy has an insane game. The Thunder just insist on putting him at the point and then everyone gets on his back when he doesnt distribute.

If they still want him to " do his thang" I would get a PG like Chalmers that can hit the Three and/or run the offense to get better distribution.
    They look good when Harden runs the Point Forward position.
    Durant should be getting forced-fed night in and night out.