NBA '11-12 666

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    does anyone in this thread actually play basketball?

Played High School ball in the 80's. Won the '86 Independent Private School league championship in 1986.

Hit College and wanted to paint & party but could get down with the basketball team. Coach approached me to play. D2 steez.

Played intermurals and shit and some local tournaments after college. And some pavement w/ the buddies.

Str8 Lazy now.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Play every Sunday in the park. Trying to get out Saturdays as well. About 10 yrs ago I tore my MCL playing a game and lost a lot of my speed and aggression. Last couple years I've actually gotten a better shot however.

My girlfriend played ball in high school and was the star. She scored 50pts in a game once.

My kid was a starter for 3 years on his middle school team, and is going to try out for the H.S. team this year.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    nice Joel, glad to hear youre bouncing back from serious injury to hoop again.
    rock, sounds like you earned your strips and deserve a props filled retirement.
    bat...didnt realize how old you were. stop being lazy.
    blakatom, im about there too (38 in a couple weeks) i think 2-3 times a week is sustinable. when i get on my game and start getting hyped and trying to play every day my body starts rebelling. right now i got an inflated elbow and a recovering sprained left hand (i gotta tape pointer and middle finger together). when they get hit, i get light headed it hurts so much. and i bang inside, so elbows and hands take a beating. so i just gotta retreat for a week or two, shoot jumpers and heal up. im trying to stay on the court till im fifty

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    tripledouble said:

Not seriously for like two years. I have nothing left to prove in basketball. holla.

im trying to stay on the court till im fifty

Props to you Tony. You definitely sound like a real head based on your old posts too.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yuichi said:
    tripledouble said:

Not seriously for like two years. I have nothing left to prove in basketball. holla.

you transcended the sport! nice!

Lakers get Howard.

GAME OVER.

yuichi said:
    Lakers get Howard.

GAME OVER.

Howard isnt the offensive threat he supposed to be, but with Nash at the point, Kobe and Howard should get some easy ass baskets.

Dude does not have a back problem either. Frontin on some bullshit.

You fuckers retained Gasol! That shit is crazy.

Nash
    Kobe
    Who is the starting SF
    Gasol
    Howard

damn

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:(

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    ugh. nash. now this. fuck the nba.

hoping for a kobe/malone/payton/shaq type fail repeat.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    Lakers get Howard.

GAME OVER.

Howard isnt the offensive threat he supposed to be, but with Nash at the point, Kobe and Howard should get some easy ass baskets.

Dude does not have a back problem either. Frontin on some bullshit.

You fuckers retained Gasol! That shit is crazy.

Nash
    Kobe
    Who is the starting SF
    Gasol
    Howard

damn

don't forget jamison and hill

gasol free tobe 4 and howard just cleaning up will be hard to stop
    nash will make the machine run smoothly and be a permieter threat
    well rounded squad to say the least
    jesus
    aging payton is not like aging nash
    old ass malone has nothing to do with hollywood howard
    their medical squad will have howard and kobe on tight watch
    they will handle the heat withnthis squad but spurs and thunder will be tough matchups
    greatest single summer signing moves of all time?
    can mike brown even fuck this up?

pcmr said:

Yes......and who is on the bench?

Does unpredictable Artest start and Jamison( who is not the threat he used to be) plugs in at the 3 or the 4.

Gasol can move to five to spell Howard, will Jordan Hill at the 4.

Who is the backup point guard to spell Nash?

Im not scarred right now. It will take a season to figure this shit out.

Like what happened in Miami. Growing pains.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    absolutely and they are already over the cap so building a bench will be hard
    just like miami...exept howard can opt out after a year (likely for dallas or brooklynets)
    if kobe gets frustrated, mike brown gets fired howard might be pissed off again and start whining
    i believe they could do like miami..lose in the finals then win the next year
    the rest of the west has not improved that much
    clip v lakers is THE ticket now

Kobe Bryant LAL $27.9
    Dwight Howard (ETO) ORL $19.5
    Pau Gasol LAL $19.0
    +
    =
    66.4 million

salary cap is 58.04 million

this is not even with steve nash calculated in.

pcmr said:

Yes because he's a horrible freaking coach Makes no adjustments

I dont see this team on paper beating The Thunder who now have deep playoff exp under their belt.

This is not a shoe in trade....imo.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:

Does unpredictable Artest start

Artest should take whatever playing time he can get and be happy. The wheels fell off that dude.

At any rate, I'm hoping this is all a buildup to a glorious letdown. But in a way, it restores order to the universe: It's back to hating the Lakers above everybody else.

DJ_Enki said:
    But in a way, it restores order to the universe: It's back to hating the Lakers above everybody else.

At least it diminishes Miami coverage.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    pcmr said:
    just like miami...exept howard can opt out after a year (likely for dallas or brooklynets)

Sure dude. Howard is going to leave this team to go play with Dirk and Elton Brand.

"over the cap" is a phrase used by teams in shitty markets.

• batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    Lakers get Howard.

GAME OVER.

Howard isnt the offensive threat he supposed to be,

He's never had a jump shot or great post moves. You could say Shaq never was the offense threat he was supposed to be, but that doesn't meant that both of them weren't unstoppable at times.

There are so few entertaining teams in the NBA so fans really can't be mad at these big market trade maneuvers. If you live in a small market city, just hope that you luck out on draft picks and team chemistry. Unless the allowances for going over the cap are removed, these type of deals will remain status quo. Stars would rather play in LA, NYC or Miami then Memphis or Oakland and can you blame them?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    edpowers said:
    pcmr said:

Sure dude. Howard is going to leave this team to go play with Dirk and Elton Brand.

"over the cap" is a phrase used by teams in shitty markets.

listen dallas cleared cap space and was on his ''list''
    that is the only reason i talked about it
    i guess i should not have said likely
    i think he will stay but the thought of him having the power to move is disconcerting

keithvanhorn said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    Lakers get Howard.

GAME OVER.

He's never had a jump shot or great post moves. You could say Shaq never was the offense threat he was supposed to be, but that doesn't meant that both of them weren't unstoppable at times.

There are so few entertaining teams in the NBA so fans really can't be mad at these big market trade maneuvers. If you live in a small market city, just hope that you luck out on draft picks and team chemistry. Unless the allowances for going over the cap are removed, these type of deals will remain status quo. Stars would rather play in LA, NYC or Miami then Memphis or Oakland and can you blame them?

Totally disagree about the Shaq - Howard comparison on offense. Shaq was not the offensive threat he was supposed to be???? Shaw had great moves and was unstoppable on offense. Not to mention Shaq was a very good passer as well. I have no idea how you could say the two were anything alike.

Blake
    Duhon
    Meeks
    Jamison
    Hill
    Sacre
    Johnson-odom
    Eyenga
    Goudelock
    Clark
    Morris

Lakers bench as of now. Solid top 5...I'd be shocked if the bottom 4 make the final roster

motown67 said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    Lakers get Howard.

GAME OVER.

Totally disagree about the Shaq - Howard comparison on offense. Shaq was not the offensive threat he was supposed to be???? Shaw had great moves and was unstoppable on offense. Not to mention Shaq was a very good passer as well. I have no idea how you could say the two were anything alike.

Yup.

Howard just isnt a natural offensive player. Hes a great athlete but just doesnt have that game to find the basket consistantly.
    Hes a number two or three man after years of promo hype like dude was along the same lines of David Robinson, Ewing ,Morning. Etc.
    Dude is an athletic Dikembe Mutombo. Who can score here and there but not in crunch time.
    Turkolu was the offensive engine when he went to the Finals.
    Theres a reason why Kobe said he would be the LA Tyson Chandler.
    And dude still didnt really pan out after summers with Hakeem.

Shaq is a top 10 Center of all time. Bynum is better offensively. But If Howard play the back and lets Kobe and Gasol go they will be fine.
    Kobe will tell that bitch to play the back. He needs a more dominant personality cause he aint that dude he thinks he is.

Or Howard could pussy out and leave the Lakers after this season. Dude is just more and more suspect to me.

in two years kobe, gasol, nash and artest will be older.

this is a win now situation. they are gonna have to fortify the bench and upgrade the coach by then or Howard is gonna be stuck with the Elden Campbell, Nick Van Excel, and them post Magic team.

Meanwhile ....... in Philly...

Jrue Holiday
    Nick Young/Evan Turner
    Jason Richardson/Dorell Wright
    Thaddeous Young/Lavoy Allen
    Andrew Bynum

Kwame Brown and Spencer Hawes

Nice future with the Iggy cap space created.
    But will they be better than last season or growingpains?

batmon said:

this is a win now situation. they are gonna have to fortify the bench and upgrade the coach by then or Howard is gonna be stuck with the Elden Campbell, Nick Van Excel, and them post Magic team.

Gasol,artest,nash and Kobe will all be gone in 2-3 years. All of their contracts expire in that time.....thats $60 mil to build around Howard....this is way different than those Cedric Ceballos teams post Magic

The Lakers bench is fine. When ur starting squad is made up of 4 all stars, 5 possible hall of famers, you dont need a deep bench

As far as coaching goes....Mike Brown is no worse than Eric Spoelstra

edpowers said:
    batmon said:

Gasol,artest,nash and Kobe will all be gone in 2-3 years. All of their contracts expire in that time.....thats $60 mil to build around Howard....this is way different than those Cedric Ceballos teams post Magic

The Lakers bench is fine. When ur starting squad is made up of 4 all stars, 5 possible hall of famers, you dont need a deep bench

True. Miami seems younger and will have that nucleus together for a minute.

Every team needs good second unit. Blake and Duhon should do well. Hill and Jamison too. But who picks up the scoring?

batmon said:
    edpowers said:
    batmon said:

True. Miami seems younger and will have that nucleus together for a minute.

Every team needs good second unit. Blake and Duhon should do well. Hill and Jamison too. But who picks up the scoring?

Jamison should provide enough scoring off the bench. I heard the other day that Jamison averaged more points last season than the entire Lakers bench did....if true, thats pathetic