NBA '11-12 666

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    edpowers said:
    batmon said:
    edpowers said:
    batmon said:
    in two years kobe, gasol, nash and artest will be older.

this is a win now situation. they are gonna have to fortify the bench and upgrade the coach by then or Howard is gonna be stuck with the Elden Campbell, Nick Van Excel, and them post Magic team.

Gasol,artest,nash and Kobe will all be gone in 2-3 years. All of their contracts expire in that time.....thats $60 mil to build around Howard....this is way different than those Cedric Ceballos teams post Magic

The Lakers bench is fine. When ur starting squad is made up of 4 all stars, 5 possible hall of famers, you dont need a deep bench

As far as coaching goes....Mike Brown is no worse than Eric Spoelstra

True. Miami seems younger and will have that nucleus together for a minute.

Every team needs good second unit. Blake and Duhon should do well. Hill and Jamison too. But who picks up the scoring?

Jamison should provide enough scoring off the bench. I heard the other day that Jamison averaged more points last season than the entire Lakers bench did....if true, thats pathetic

But that was in Cleveland.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Haha. Yep

• batmon said:
    Meanwhile ....... in Philly...

Jrue Holiday
    Nick Young/Evan Turner
    Jason Richardson/Dorell Wright
    Thaddeous Young/Lavoy Allen
    Andrew Bynum

Kwame Brown and Spencer Hawes

Nice future with the Iggy cap space created.
    But will they be better than last season or growingpains?

shit, you know im happy. we run pretty deep, have size, slashers, shooters and youth. but we also have 8 new players! so itll take some time. but it will be good to get a full offseason of practice in.

before this trade, who was the last person philly acquisition to get excited about? probably iverson. moses malone before that. (barkley was an amazing addition, but i dont remember drafting him creating heated anticipation). we just kept getting guys on the downside for decades...brand, mutombo, dc, webber, blah

anyway. we talked a lot last year about whether it was possible to win without a star. well iggy was definitely not that dude. conplementary piece and i hope he does well in denver. bynum is a pretty rare breed of position player and still young. the big thing about the roll player team vs. star argument might be that the big name may attract other players to the team. where the sixers for years were stuck in middle road purgatory.

im still not sure why we dropped 6 million on kwame brown and 12 mill on hawes, but im happy right now.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    tripledouble said:

im still not sure why we dropped 6 million on kwame brown

GMs get drunk as fuck on "potential." Especially when it's a 7-footer in question.

Miami
    Indiana
    Chicago.....?
    New York
    Philly
    Boston.......?

Orlando is now out of it.

who takes the last two spots in the East?

Brook-Lyn Nets.....?
    Washington......is this Wall's breakout year..Okafor and Nene down low?

• i see you still got faith in your squad
    is d.rose back for the season opener?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Last thing I heard Rose was supposed to miss most of the first half of the season.

tripledouble said:
    i see you still got faith in your squad
    is d.rose back for the season opener?

We are slowly getting there.

With Rose out we are number two in the East. Miami is our only HUMP.

We acquired DJ Augustine to back up George Hill at the point.

Paul George is gonna grow and my sleeper for the second unit is Gerald Green who has finally grown up.

We got size with Hibbert leading the way.

This ONLY issue is who can create their own shot, specifically off the dribble.

Lance Stevenson...........

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Last thing I heard Rose was supposed to miss most of the first half of the season.

Yea. it's a damn shame. His NBA life is getting drastically cut short if he keeps this up without real help.

Adidas paid him a bigger shoe deal than Lebron I believe, and he has the entire city on his back. Mo money mo problems.

Basically he's like Lebron was in Cleveland. Expectations are threw the roof.

Washington......is this Wall's breakout year

Don't think so. Never was sold on him from the get-go. He obviously has tremendous forward speed, but that's about it....

His Zigtech signature line ain't helping either. I'd hate to wear clunkers like that for 82 games........For such great negotiating skills, I'm surprised that agents and managers don't discuss the benefits of having a superior shoe on your feet (as opposed to some imitation clunker).

"If you come to Reebok, you'll have your signature shoe, put you in half of our major ads this year, and we'll give you a half a million dollars more if you choose us over Nike." I guess it's hard to convince a 19 year old away from this, but managers/parents definitely ought to know better that having a long healthy NBA career is more meaningful and will probably earn you more bucks in the end.

motown67 said:

Adidas is a terrible basketball shoe

edpowers said:
    motown67 said:

Adidas is a terrible basketball shoe

Thank you.

They surely outdid Nike in the lightweight sneaker battle! with their "lightest basketball sneaker ever" campaigns.
    Under 10ozs and all that. Don't think it may have solely contributed to D Rose's injury, but the way he moves, I'm pretty sure you need more than 10 or 11 ozs to contain all that movement in a safe way.

Lebrons weigh like 15 or 16ozs. Pretty sure his joints will start hurting if he wears Reeboks or Adidas. They're just an inferior shoe, period.

Are yall blaming Rose's injuries on adidas?

http://hoopshype.com/sneakers/adidas.htm

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Adidas routinely lack the inside padding of Nike...and go dead sooner as well.

batmon said:

That list certainly doesnt support Adidas.

edpowers said:
    batmon said:

Nike has 3 times the number of NBA players as Adidas. If you take Adidas' numbers (All Stars & NBA Champs) and times them by three they're just about the same as Nike's.

Better tech or not, lightest, more stars, whatever....I wouldnt even hint at blaming adidas for Rose's injury?

Is anyone calling out Nike for Kobe having to have experimental surgery in Germany? Does dude have any knees left?
    Blake Griffin missed a Gold Medal in Nike.

Im glad Rose took a chance and signed on with adidas. They at least tried to design him his own shoe.
    Its way too crowded over at Nike. They give the game a different take.

If your not ELITE your not gonna get shit at NIKE. And lets not even talk about Jordan Brand.
    CP3 and Melo are underwhelming sneakers. I NEVER see cats wearing them.
    And other than Retros NO one is rockin the last few releases since theyve dropped the Roman numerals.

And what the pros wear is not what is sold at retail.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I dunno about Rose's injury. But playing basketball in Adidas, you might as well be wearing Sketchers.

batmon said:
    Better tech or not, lightest, more stars, whatever....I wouldnt even hint at blaming adidas for Rose's injury?

Is anyone calling out Nike for Kobe having to have experimental surgery in Germany? Does dude have any knees left?

Im glad Rose took a chance and signed on with adidas. They at least tried to design him his own shoe.

If your not ELITE your not gonna get shit at NIKE. And lets not even talk about Jordan Brand.
    And other than Retros NO one is rockin the last few releases since theyve dropped the Roman numerals.

You're wrong.

Kobe has like 15 years of play in him so there's a cumulative effect to his injuries, and he's wearing a shoe designed for speed, not cushioning.....that's totally different from Rose or John Wall's situation.

Blake, like Vince (also Nike) jumps high, like really high....

Take those out the equation.

Look at Lebron and how he moves and it makes sense that he gets a well-cushioned shoe with superior support.

D Rose gets a signature model, but not even close to the Nike Basketball technology.

You seem to be far more concerned about "I'm gonna wear my Stan Smiths, fuck Nike" approach, but this is not a discussion of that, but of potential stars ruining their careers with an inferior technology shoe. Nike is light years ahead in the basketball department.

Derrick Rose
    Chauncey Billups
    Iman Shumpert
    Dwight Howard
    Brooke Lopez

ADIDAS

motown67 said:
    edpowers said:
    batmon said:

Nike has 3 times the number of NBA players as Adidas. If you take Adidas' numbers (All Stars & NBA Champs) and times them by three they're just about the same as Nike's.

Until i see that list..im not buying it

According to Hoops Hype link in that post:

Adidas
    58 NBA Players
    8 All Stars
    8 NBA Champs
    2 Olympic Medalists

Nike
    169 NBA Players
    35 All Stars
    20 NBA Champs
    18 Gold Medalists

Nike has just under 3 times as many NBA players as Adidas
    If you multiply Adidas NBA figures by three you get the following

24 All Stars
    24 NBA Champs

Nike would has more All Stars, but Adidas more NBA Champs

Those numbers are based upon active NBA players who wear those two brands. So for example Tim Duncan wears Adidas and has been an All-Star 13 times, won 4 NBA titles, and 1 gold medal

O..ok. I assumed you were talking about number of injuries in adidas compared to nike

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Those numbers are based upon active NBA players who wear those two brands. So for example Tim Duncan wears Adidas and has been an All-Star 13 times, won 4 NBA titles, and 1 gold medal

Yeah, but Tim Duncan is super-boring, what with his being the best to ever play his position and all that. I mean, dude never even made a spectacle of himself--how can you take him seriously?

yuichi said:
    batmon said:

You're wrong.

Kobe has like 15 years of play in him so there's a cumulative effect to his injuries, and he's wearing a shoe designed for speed, not cushioning.....that's totally different from Rose or John Wall's situation.

Blake, like Vince (also Nike) jumps high, like really high....

Take those out the equation.

Look at Lebron and how he moves and it makes sense that he gets a well-cushioned shoe with superior support.

D Rose gets a signature model, but not even close to the Nike Basketball technology.

You seem to be far more concerned about "I'm gonna wear my Stan Smiths, fuck Nike" approach, but this is not a discussion of that, but of potential stars ruining their careers with an inferior technology shoe. Nike is light years ahead in the basketball department.

Dude I own three pairs of Nike Zoom Kobe II and 5 pairs of LeBrons. And just copped the new NIKE Hyperfuse.
    Weve both been here long enuff to know im not stuck on some Stan Smith Rod Laver steez.

YOU brought up the shoes into this discussion.

Ill agree that the tech isnt up to par with Nike, but to claim the shoe is the reason he is injured is bullshit.
    There are way too many factors w/ a injury to boil it down to the shoe. All these dudes w/ "better" tech get injured.

MIIIIIIY ADIDAS!!!!

oh yeah............ Superior Tech?

DJ_Enki said:
    motown67 said:

Yeah, but Tim Duncan is super-boring, what with his being the best to ever play his position and all that. I mean, dude never even made a spectacle of himself--how can you take him seriously?

2 MVPs and 4 Rings? Very Serious.

Big men dont sell shoes though.

• I completely tore my ACL in May (same injury as D. Rose) playing in a full court game while wearing the new Kobe's with that special insole and 2 pairs of (nike) socks. A little more than a year before that, I fully ruptured my Achilles while playing basketball wearing the newest pair of Lebron's.

I'm not buying the argument about D. Rose getting injured because he was in Adidas, although as I have gotten older, I have been wearing bball shoes with the newest tech just in the event that it helps me in the slightest, which it obviously has not.

• daaamn case, sorry to hear that!
    how you feeling about the big trade? the Bynum era begins!

for the record, ive been buying used sneaks at the flea market for years and have never had serious injury (knockonwood)
    but i much prefer nike's to adidas

• tripledouble said:
    daaamn case, sorry to hear that!
    how you feeling about the big trade? the Bynum era begins!

for the record, ive been buying used sneaks at the flea market for years and have never had serious injury (knockonwood)
    but i much prefer nike's to adidas

It's clearly not about the shoes, although it's tough not to get sucked into the hype. However, if you ever have tried to play in a pair of AF1's or any shoe with 80's era tech, there is a noticeable difference in support and ease of movement.

I don't think Iggy was a good fit, and since we had no real center, it's hard to believe that Bynum could do anything but help. That being said, it's not that entertaining (for me at least) to watch an offense that is based around a low post guy. I hope that Jrue and co are still able to run as much as possible.