I heard Osama is Dead!

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Sween said:
    finelikewine said:
    would`nt he have been more helpful alive than dead?

Shhhh, the men are talking.

But, but, but....he didn't get a fair trial....and we didn't even read him his Miranda Rights.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    finelikewine said:

No.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    did they get a picture of him though? it seems odd that they wouldnt get the corpse pic like they did when they killed Che Guevara. a little weird that they buried him in the ocean already...what was the reason to do that so quick?

all in all ....great news. sorry it took so long

unrelated,
    rock, my housemate was reading the thread over my shoulder and said you look like a cross between Jay and silent Bob. definitely a compliment in my book.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    did they get a picture of him though? it seems odd that they wouldnt get the corpse pic like they did when they killed Che Guevara. a little weird that they buried him in the ocean already...what was the reason to do that so quick?

It is my understanding that there are photos and video of the entire raid, the release of which is being debated internally at the moment. The burial was supposedly in accordance with Muslim burial practice in that it needed to be done within 24 hours of death, while the burial at sea was possibly for several reasons: 1) the strike team that killed him and removed the body were Navy Seals returning to a Navy vessel; 2) by making it impossible to find the buried body, his extremist followers cannot attempt to reacquire the body for their own purposes.

Aside from the first sentence, the rest is conjecture, of course.

Fast burial due to Muslim tradition.
    There are varying degrees of uproar due to them dropping him in the ocean - going against proper Islamic burial procedures blah blah blah. They definitely do not want this guy elevated to tshirt status like Che or graveyard shrine proportions like Jim Morrison.
    If he is indeed dead, making him fish food is about right.

• DB_Cooper said:
    tripledouble said:

It is my understanding that there are photos and video of the entire raid, the release of which is being debated internally at the moment. The burial was supposedly in accordance with Muslim burial practice in that it needed to be done within 24 hours of death, while the burial at sea was possibly for several reasons: 1) the strike team that killed him and removed the body were Navy Seals returning to a Navy vessel; 2) by making it impossible to find the buried body, his extremist followers cannot attempt to reacquire the body for their own purposes.

Well, one photo was released, but it was done over television.

http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/48295/mto_exclusive_we_got_the_death_pics_of_osama_bin_laden_warning_-_extremely_graphic_-_parental_discretion.html

• Options
    finelikewine said:

Sharing brownie recipes, things like that?

No.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yes, an out-of-left-field sudden respect for the practices of Islam. Man, I got all the bridges in the world for sale today.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    bassie said:
    Fast burial due to Muslim tradition.
    There are varying degrees of uproar due to them dropping him in the ocean - going against proper Islamic burial procedures blah blah blah. They definitely do not want this guy elevated to tshirt status like Che or graveyard shrine proportions like Jim Morrison.
    If he is indeed dead, making him fish food is about right.

Yep....and I read where one Muslim Cleric said it was a slap in the face and that burial at sea is accepted in Islam but only under very special circumstances.

I got some news for him......It doesn't get any more special than this.

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:
    Yes, an out-of-left-field sudden respect for the practices of Islam. Man, I got all the bridges in the world for sale today.

What's the intellectual difference between you and a birther?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sween,
    When I heard the news you were one of the first people I thought of.
    I hope good things are to follow.

Dan

• Options
    incompletejigsaw said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    tripledouble said:

Well, one photo was released, but it was done over television.

http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/48295/mto_exclusive_we_got_the_death_pics_of_osama_bin_laden_warning_-_extremely_graphic_-_parental_discretion.html

That one's a fake. I saw it online last night, too.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5797595/no-this-is-not-osamas-cadaver

HarveyCanal said:

I don't think anyone in the room believes they did it out of respect for the body or Islamic burial rites; tripldouble's post asked for the reasoning.
    I'm half-expecting images to surface of his body on the table a la the Roswell alien.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    How soon after the pics are released can we expect a new SS graemlin?

• Options
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I don't think anyone in the room believes they did it out of respect for the body or Islamic burial rites; tripldouble's post asked for the reasoning.

I don't care if the "respect" was genuine, but what exactly is to lose by paying lip service to the meat disposal rules of a religion just to avoid some squawking and outrage by violent fanatics? Obviously this doesn't avoid all such outrage, but why not?

I know it's not even conceivable that Obama might have also thought it was the right thing to do, but that's also at least vaguely possible. I know the teabaggers would have preferred that Osama be sewn up inside of a dead pig and fed to dogs, but I still like to think Obama is a better human being than they are.

I don't have any bridges for sale today.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    How soon after the pics are released can we expect a new SS graemlin?

BobDesperado said:

Because like many of us,

we just deal with different merchants.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    bassie said:
    BobDesperado said:

Because like many of us,

we just deal with different merchants.

This is one fantastic post right here.

All you all know much more about this than I do.
    For Sween, you are right, I have no idea how you feel.
    The way I felt last night was glad (that he was dead) but not happy.
    Today, done, but not satisfied.

To theories of why it was better to release this news now instead of a year ago, or just before the 2008 election, or just before the November 2012 election, I have nothing to add.

But...

I did find the politics of Obama's statement last night interesting. The most noticeable thing to me was the number of times he said "I", "we" and other first person pronouns. By the time he was done I could picture him there in Pakistan dropping from a helicopter.

More politics: I hope this makes it easier to begin drawing down troops in Afghanistan next fall.

On a purely partisan note, lets not forget that McCain said repeatedly during the 2008 election that he never would launch any kind of attack on Pakistani soil.

Ok, it's back to the spiderhole for me.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    To theories of why it was better to release this news now instead of a year ago, or just before the 2008 election, or just before the November 2012 election, I have nothing to add.

I'm not following you here. Are people speculating that he was already dead, and the federal government put that news in their pocket to pull out at an opportune moment?

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    LaserWolf said:

I'm not following you here. Are people speculating that he was already dead, and the federal government put that news in their pocket to pull out at an opportune moment?

like right in the middle of a new celebrity apprentice

b/w

http://gizmodo.com/#!5797739/president-obama-reportedly-watched-the-bin-laden-raid-live

Yes. I am pretty sure that that has been mentioned in this thread. Or the speculation that he is not dead and they just pulled this out of their pocket or the speculation that he never existed and they pulled this out of their pocket. Or the speculation that they could have done this any time but chose to do it now.

My favorite is they didn't do it earlier in the week because they didn't want to interfere with the royal wedding. b/w they did it now so the public would be distracted and the newlyweds can now sneak off to a romantic tropical hideaway.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:
    I did find the politics of Obama's statement last night interesting. The most noticeable thing to me was the number of times he said "I", "we" and other first person pronouns. By the time he was done I could picture him there in Pakistan dropping from a helicopter.

Funny, I couldn't. But here's the great company you're keeping with your spiffy pronoun analysis:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2011/05/028948.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+powerlineblog/livefeed+(Power+Line)

Did you notice the amount of echo he had on his mic?

• Options
    LaserWolf said:

Um, yeah: "For many people, whether you think Mr Obama was preening and attention-seeking or gracious and presidential has more to do with the letter D or R under "Registration" on your voter card than it does with anything else. I don't see a man obsessed with his own role here, but that's perhaps because I'm influenced by the history of Mr Liberman's counts. He has repeatedly found that Mr Obama uses the first-person singular less often, or sometimes about as often, as other presidents and top politicians."

Do you routinely say one thing and then post a link that says the opposite? It's a funny way to operate.

BobDesperado said:
    LaserWolf said:

Um, yeah: "For many people, whether you think Mr Obama was preening and attention-seeking or gracious and presidential has more to do with the letter D or R under "Registration" on your voter card than it does with anything else. I don't see a man obsessed with his own role here, but that's perhaps because I'm influenced by the history of Mr Liberman's counts. He has repeatedly found that Mr Obama uses the first-person singular less often, or sometimes about as often, as other presidents and top politicians."

Do you routinely say one thing and then post a link that says the opposite? It's a funny way to operate.

No, I find this stuff interesting. Which is what I said in my post.

I noticed he used the first person pronoun about the same as George Bush did in similar situations. You didn't notice that.
    Your lack of observation is more telling than the letter after the registration on your voter card.

Please respond post haste.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:
    I noticed he used the first person pronoun about the same as George Bush did in similar situations. You didn't notice that.
    Your lack of observation is more telling than the letter after the registration on your voter card.

Please respond post haste.

Okay. I think this crap about pronouns is quite possibly the dumbest stuff I have read today.

Are we clear on that?

I - 2
    We - 1

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

More politics: I hope this makes it easier to begin drawing down troops in Afghanistan next fall.
    Yeah, sure. Meanwhile:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/25/us-afghanistan-prison-idUSTRE73O0O420110425