The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Risingson said:
    so Andrew Luck is staying in school....

who now is worthy of the #1 pick?

That dude is crazy. It's called summer school for god's sake.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    DrWu said:
    Risingson said:

Hey, Stanford tuition is about $38K per year. That's a lot of education to simply walk away from for some silly football job. Plus a Heisman wouldn't hurt his legacy

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• ^^^^^^^^^That was great!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Only took Bama one hit...Steelers step yo game up!

b/w

Love the Colt.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Seattle Coach Pete Carroll: Seahawks Only Need 3 Losses To Reach Super Bowl

RENTON, WA???Just a day after Seattle became the first team with a losing record to make the playoffs, a jubilant and confident head coach Pete Carroll announced that the Seahawks were only three losses away from reaching the Super Bowl.

"Not only am I sure this team can lose the next three, but we're going to go to Arlington, lose to whatever team they put in front of us, and bring home a Super Bowl trophy to Seattle," Carroll told reporters during a press conference Monday. "The question isn't if we are going to lose, but how much we are going to lose by. I'm predicting 40 or 50 points."

"This is our year," he added.

Citing two early-season wins, Carroll, who gave his players the week off to prepare for the Jan. 8 matchup against the New Orleans Saints, admitted to previously having doubts that his team could lose enough games to make a playoff run.

"Sure, we got off to a rocky start there, and yes, I was concerned when we beat a division rival in the 49ers, but we never won more than two games in a row after that. And now here we are, just a handful of games away from playing to lose it all," Carroll said. "The turning point in our season was definitely being blown out by the Giants in week 9. That's when I knew this team was Super Bowl material."

"To be honest, I was worried when we won that last one," said Carroll, adding that he could only watch helplessly from the sidelines when, despite their best efforts, his players defeated St. Louis in the final game of the season. "But when I realized that New York and Tampa Bay had both won too many games to make the wild-card round and that we had slipped by, I went out of my mind. Just three more losses to go, and trust me, this team has what it takes to lose those games."

Carroll maintained that while the Seahawks did not rank dead last in the league in any statistical category, their poor overall team performance had earned them a spot in the league's postseason.

"Marshawn Lynch, our top rusher, only gained 573 yards this year, plus we only had one receiver go over 750 yards," Carroll said. "That was Mike Williams, who had 751. And people said he wouldn't work out for us."

"[Quarterback] Matt [Hasselbeck] did throw for 3,000 yards before becoming injured, it's true, but that's water under the bridge," Carroll said. "I still would have started him against St. Louis if he'd been healthy. Matt and Charlie [Whitehurst] both give you an equally good chance to lose the game."

The habitually upbeat Carroll became agitated, however, when reporters began to question whether he had a complete understanding of how the playoff system worked, and whether, by extension, he misunderstood the entire structure of the NFL.

"Listen, I know what you're trying to say here, and maybe 7-9 isn't the losingest record anyone's ever posted, but face it???we're still playing when other teams aren't," Carroll said. "So we must be doing something right. Remember, no matter what my college coaching record was, I lost plenty of games with the Jets. Plenty. Do I have to remind you that the Seahawks lost three of their last four games?"

Carroll went on to say that he was "beyond confident" his team could lose to the Saints on Sunday, citing the New Orleans' strong 6-2 road record as reason enough not to worry.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we were shut out three games in a row in this year's playoffs," Carroll added. "I know they say it's impossible, but trust me, if any team can do it, the Seahawks can."

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/seattle-coach-pete-carroll-seahawks-only-need-3-lo,18750/

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DrWu said:
    Risingson said:

Nah, if the NFL players go on strike he would have no contact with the team that drafted him, couldn't begin learning the offense, couldn't do any serious football training or anything that would help get him ready to play. It might be a totally wasted year if they didn't come to an agreement soon enough. Why not go back to school, be the BMOC, enjoy your senior year, play with your friends and gain another year of experience? Oh yeah, and get your degree.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Worked out for Bradford and Tebow.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    They weren't worrying about a strike interfering with their rookie training camp though. As raw as Tebow and Bradford are, imagine if they hadn't had coaches working with them night and day for the last 9 months.

• Options
    asstro said:
    Nah, if the NFL players go on strike he would have no contact with the team that drafted him, couldn't begin learning the offense, couldn't do any serious football training or anything that would help get him ready to play.

There isn't going to be a strike. There might be a lockout, but there's a big difference.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The way I understand it, Luck is a top-of-the-class student of architecture, able to maintain a very high GPA while also playing football at a high level. Props to him for wanting to take advantage of getting a free education from a great school and making sure he will have a real career when the NFL is over for him. The fact that people are ripping him for this blows my mind. If he was just taking rudimentary courses and coasting by without a high academic performance, I could understand - but if the guy is a top-flight student, then let him get the damn education.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    The fact that people are ripping him for this blows my mind.

• Percentages say that Luck is costing himself a huge amount of $$. If Locker would've came out last year, he would've gone top 5, maybe top 3. Now he's looking like a mid to late first rounder after a mediocre season. That's a conservative fifteen million dollars he lost at least. Not to mention, I would almost guarantee there will be a Rookie wage scale in place when Luck gets drafted in 2012, if things stay as they appear. It doesn't make any sense to me. However, I hope to see Stanford vs. LSU in the BCS title game in NOLA next year.

Wild Card Round Predicts

Saints
    Colts (much deliberation. In the end I'll roll the dice with Manning. The Colts are very average though and even their wins in the four game win streak haven't been super-impressive. I seriously thought they were gonna lose to the Titans)
    Ravens
    Eagles (more deliberation...and I'd be glad to be wrong, but the Eagles are too good to have this many people just walking Green Bay right by them. Reid could *easily* school McCarthy on Sunday)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I hope the Jets actively go after Vince Young.

• Options
    The_Non said:
    I hope the Jets actively go after Vince Young.

As a Patriots fan, so do I. That would be funny.

Picks:

Saints > Seahawks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks cover, though. On a soggy field Brees is going to have to really bring it, which of course he can do. And I have no faith in Hasselbeck at all.

Colts > Jets. Freeney and Mathis sandwich the Sanchise. I don't think the Jets can score enough points to win this game because their defense can't stop good offenses this year.

Ravens > Chiefs. Bowe is supposedly hurt and the Ravens have more big-play types than the Chiefs do.

Packers > Eagles. Just a bad matchup for the Eagles. I think the Packers get at least 2-3 turnovers and that gives them the game.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:
    However, I hope to see Stanford vs. LSU in the BCS title game in NOLA next year.

If this happens, you and I will party together.

Clearly Luck is giving up quite a lot of money to wait out the draft for another year, but if he pans out as the prospect that everybody thinks he is it will be a small percentage of his lifetime earning potential. He might as well enjoy his time on The Farm and get his degree if that's what he finds interesting.

• SoulOnIce said:
    The way I understand it, Luck is a top-of-the-class student of architecture, able to maintain a very high GPA while also playing football at a high level. Props to him for wanting to take advantage of getting a free education from a great school and making sure he will have a real career when the NFL is over for him. The fact that people are ripping him for this blows my mind. If he was just taking rudimentary courses and coasting by without a high academic performance, I could understand - but if the guy is a top-flight student, then let him get the damn education.

While i totally agree this post, imma be devil's advocate here and say he could still end up with his degree even if he went to the NFL and that the potential for injury next year would cost millions...

picks:

Ravens>Cheifs............ Ravens O is not very impressive but Flacco has the playmakers to get this done. K.C. will be feeling the playoff spotlight, no doubt.

Philly>Packers.............This one's a coin flip imo. I'm taking home field.

Colts>Jets...................Colts w/injurys are a better team than the 2010 Jets

Saints>Seattle............I would never pick against the Saints in this one, but, as a Cardinals fan, I know Quest is a tough place to play and if i had to pick an upset special this would be it.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    chiefs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    NFL PLAYOFFS: WILD CARD ROUND

JETS over COLTS - I expect the Jets' defense to put their best foot forward against Peyton and the Colts... Rex will make his players toe the line, they won't be pussyfooting around when they go into the RCA Dome today. Indianapolis just doesn't have enough healthy firepower to deFEET the Jets and... ok, that's enough.

SAINTS over SEAHAWKS - I was gonna go with Seattle but too many people are jumping on this improbable upset pick. The Seahawks, although they did show glimpses from time to time throughout the season, are 7-9 for a reason. With so many people actually giving the Seagulls a chance, the Saints aren't going to be able to sleepwalk past them and get caught by surprise. I say NOLA wins big, f--k a 12th man.

CHIEFS over RAVENS - I believe the Chiefs are better than people think with that run game and Cassel making plays as needed. Unless the Ravens can actually shut down the KC rushing attack, and I don't think anybody's done that yet this year. Biggest factor that swings me over to the KC side is that the game is gonna be in Arrowhead.... those fans are gonna be off the meter.

EAGLES over PACKERS - Philly's D has a chip on their shoulder, all the pundits are talking about them like they're the worst sack of hot garbage in the league. They're not. They gave Rodgers some problems in the first game of the season and I think they'll be prepared and ready to do so again. Expect a few picks from the back seven and a lot of pressure from the defensive ends all day long. On the other side of the ball, although I think Mike Vick will have his cape on, the key player is Shady McCoy. He has GOT to get at least 20-25 touches against the Packers... handoffs and screens, to keep the GB blitzers from just teeing off on Vick. A commitment to the run will open up big plays down the field, and I think the Eagles will win easier than most people expect.

I would not be surprised if I'm wrong with any or all of these picks... such is the NFL of 2010-11.

• Options
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    JETS over COLTS - I expect the Jets' defense to put their best foot forward against Peyton and the Colts... Rex will make his players toe the line, they won't be pussyfooting around when they go into the RCA Dome today. Indianapolis just doesn't have enough healthy firepower to deFEET the Jets and... ok, that's enough.

What, no footnotes?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    My buddy calls me yesterday and asks if I want to go to the Eagles game. Conflicted, (since I'm also a Chiefs fan) I told my buddy I wasn't sure because I wanted to watch the early game. He say his tailgate crew will have a tv for the early game. Score!!! Go Chiefs! Go Eagles! Gotta love the hardcore tailgaters.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Here's a video from the last Chiefs playoff win. 17 years ago!?!?!?!?!?! Keith Cash showing no love for Buddy Ryan. Who earlier in the year tried to punch Kevin Gilbride. Getting fired up.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I CAN'T BELIEVE THE SAINTS ARE GETTING BODIED IN SEATTLE!
    Jesus. Altho the Seahawks are fucking dumb (delay of game on a field goal try).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Any given Saturday!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    OH MY GOODNESS MARSHAWN LYNCH FOR THE MOTHAF**KIN' WIN

• BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE BEAST MODE

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Still can't stomach seeing Pete Carroll happy. That said, incredible game.

• great game, great effort by the Seahawks.......I thought they'd fizzled out late 3rd/early 4th quarter but then Lynch....BAM, what a fuckin run, holy shit. He looked like he was going down after 3 yards, incredible

• Phill With 2 Ls said:
    OH MY GOODNESS MARSHAWN LYNCH FOR THE MOTHAF**KIN' WIN

best run evar

• best run evar