The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• Pete Carroll is insufferable, and if they lose by 80 points I will enjoy it.

• gareth said:

NFC? Falcons by default- Reid talking about limiting Vick this weekend if he has problems versus blitz is classic Reid overcoaching, and he should really shut up. Just run Vick out there and let Michael do his thing.

Oh man Andy Reid, smh. Because Vick didn't absolutely embarass my team in 7 minutes by having problems with the blitz.

Neither the Ravens or the Steelers are Superbowl bound but they are going to bruise up every single team that goes against them on the way. That's why nobody wants to play them, they might not beat you, but you're not leaving the game in one piece.

No idea what's going to happen in the NFC. I'm not sold on the Bears but they've played well down the stretch. The Saints haven't looked super convincing, but best believe Sean and Drew are pulling out all the stops. The Falcons have been the most under the radar number 1 seed I've ever seen, but I like them at home. The Eagles might have peaked early b/w Andy Reid, b/w I really like to see them lose (Hi Phill! Still not over it and probably won't be for years!). Now the Seahawks, well you just wait, they've been waiting all year for this, no one will see it coming.

• Options
    gareth said:
    The Ravens do not look championship caliber. Offense is so flacid. Reed is incredible- one of my favorite players in the game, and Dr Wu is right, BAL's splits with & without him this season are totally facemelt- but that defense can't get it done alone. Last week was a brutal watch- and, I had to, as IWASTHERE (KRSONE-style).

Pats are the best team in football, but could lose to Indy for one reason alone- the league's only Coach/QB, Peyton Manning. Jets ain't impressive right now, sorry Ed Powers. Steelers could bring it, too.

I'll take the Pats, but the AFC could be any one of those 3.

NFC? Falcons by default- Reid talking about limiting Vick this weekend if he has problems versus blitz is classic Reid overcoaching, and he should really shut up. Just run Vick out there and let Michael do his thing.

People talk about Reed and Lewis, but the real reason I consider the Ravens to be the team with the best chance to derail the Patriots is Ngata. If he's got his best game going he's a monster.

• BobDesperado said:
    gareth said:
    The Ravens do not look championship caliber. Offense is so flacid. Reed is incredible- one of my favorite players in the game, and Dr Wu is right, BAL's splits with & without him this season are totally facemelt- but that defense can't get it done alone. Last week was a brutal watch- and, I had to, as IWASTHERE (KRSONE-style).

Pats are the best team in football, but could lose to Indy for one reason alone- the league's only Coach/QB, Peyton Manning. Jets ain't impressive right now, sorry Ed Powers. Steelers could bring it, too.

People talk about Reed and Lewis, but the real reason I consider the Ravens to be the team with the best chance to derail the Patriots is Ngata. If he's got his best game going he's a monster.

The best nose tackle in all football. If he's on, it's on.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:

The best nose breaker in all football. If he's on, it's on.

• RAJ said:
    incompletejigsaw said:

I'm sure that Roethlisberger forgave him after the Steelers ended up winning.

• Options
    incompletejigsaw said:
    RAJ said:
    incompletejigsaw said:

Rumors out of Pittsburgh are that BR is newly engaged. But he won't talk about it.

I wonder what percentage of the lucky girl's family and friends reacted with, "You're kidding, right?"

That pre-nup is gonna have a lot of pages.

• gareth said:

NFC? Falcons by default-

You dudes hollerin' Falcons are really beyond me. C'mon, Man!

What makes the Patriots so good? Iron-clad coach/QB combo. I'm takin Brees/Payton in the NFC. You don't just come out in your 3rd year and know how to win big January games unless you're name is Roethlissberger.... Ryan ain't ready and Smith is just alright. Same with Green Bay...I love A-Rod but am down on McCarthy. I know that act intimately and it's never quite ready for primetime.

Saints might not make the Super Bowl again this year but I guarantee you the Falcons don't either.

• Garcia_Vega said:
    Now the Seahawks, well you just wait, they've been waiting all year for this, no one will see it coming.

Seen. Shit is too perfect. Let us get out of the NW with even a one-point win, please. It's raining all week up there in that slop-hole.

• Options
    GenePontecorvo said:
    gareth said:

NFC? Falcons by default-

You dudes hollerin' Falcons are really beyond me. C'mon, Man!

What makes the Patriots so good? Iron-clad coach/QB combo. I'm takin Brees/Payton in the NFC. You don't just come out in your 3rd year and know how to win big January games unless you're name is Roethlissberger.... Ryan ain't ready and Smith is just alright. Same with Green Bay...I love A-Rod but am down on McCarthy. I know that act intimately and it's never quite ready for primetime.

Saints might not make the Super Bowl again this year but I guarantee you the Falcons don't either.

I'm largely with you here. McCarthy is just ordinary, and the way the Falcons approached the recent game with the Saints was lame. It was Choose To Lose. Payton has balls - the Super Bowl onside kick proved that - and neither McCarthy or Smith have shown that trait yet. I can stil see the Falcons winning at home, but there's no real solid pick in the NFC.

I'm psyched for this weekend's games, they'll tell us a lot. What a great season this has been.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    gareth said:

The most important player on the Ravens right now is Terrell Suggs. When he is attacking the QB like he did against the Steelers, Ravens are just impossible to deal with (essentially the won on a D play by Polamalu). Whitwhatever from the Bengals did an incredible job against him last week.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The Jets road to the Super Bowl

Indy: Terrible Colts team ...can't run..can't play defense

New England: The only advantage The Pats had against The Jets was Moss...Brady isn't going to another Super Bowl passing to Tight Ends all day...especially against that Jets defense

Pittsburgh: The Jets already beat The Steelers

Baltimore: If The Ravens even make it to the championship game they have the best chance beating New York but I'm not convinced they can protect Flaco well enough to move the ball...Ray Rice won't get it done on the ground

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    incompletejigsaw said:
    RAJ said:
    incompletejigsaw said:

Rumors out of Pittsburgh are that BR is newly engaged. But he won't talk about it.

I wonder what percentage of the lucky girl's family and friends reacted with, "You're kidding, right?"

That pre-nup is gonna have a lot of pages.

Have to give props to Deadspin for the best quip: "Oh, I see how it is. Mike Vick can't have a dog, but Big Ben can have a woman?"

• Options
    edpowers said:
    New England: The only advantage The Pats had against The Jets was Moss...Brady isn't going to another Super Bowl passing to Tight Ends all day...especially against that Jets defense

This must be opposite day. The Jets beat the Patriots early this year when they had Moss. More recently the Randy-less Patriots held the overrated Jets defense down and repeatedly molested them while Mark Sanchez cried on the sideline. There isn't a Patriots fan on the planet who wouldn't rather face the Jets than the Ravens.

Jets fans are living in last year where their defense is concerned. Yes, they had a great defense last year. This year the Jets played a weaker schedule than the Patriots did and managed to allow a whole 9 points less. Not per game, but all season. The Jets will be lucky to get by the Colts, and if they manage that trick their luck will run out in Foxboro.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    People NEED to see Inside the NFL with Colt McCoy wired for sound against the Steelers.

:dead:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Was there a lotta UGHHHHHHHH and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and FUCK! and Ouch!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    as a pats fan living in NY... if we lose to the jets in foxboro it MIGHT feel worse for a NE fan in this city than when the giants won the superbowl. the yankees championship was right there too. that being said... i think the jets will lose in foxboro. (if they even make it that far.)

• Options
    spivy said:
    as a pats fan living in NY... if we lose to the jets in foxboro it MIGHT feel worse for a NE fan in this city than when the giants won the superbowl. the yankees championship was right there too. that being said... i think the jets will lose in foxboro. (if they even make it that far.)

I don't even know what the argument is for the Jets winning in Foxboro in the playoffs. They quit in that last game. It was the worst game for a supposed contender this year by far. Why does anyone think they can go from 45-3 to winning in the same stadium against a much hotter team? If anything the Jets are worse now.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    RAJ said:
    People NEED to see Inside the NFL with Colt McCoy wired for sound against the Steelers.

I think this dude has what it takes to be a great (Elway, Brady level) quarterback in the NFL. Unfortunately, he may get ground up in the shit hole that is Cleveland football.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DrWu said:
    RAJ said:

I think this dude has what it takes to be a great (Elway, Brady level) quarterback in the NFL. Unfortunately, he may get ground up in the shit hole that is Cleveland football.

Are you really saying Elway and Brady are on the same level? One was great. The other is arguably the best of all time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DrWu said:
    RAJ said:

I think this dude has what it takes to be a great (Elway, Brady level) quarterback in the NFL.

As a Longhorn alumn and someone who watched every step of McCoy's college career, I can't say how happy it makes me feel to hear people saying such things about him. That national championship game against Alabama was a hard pill to swallow. And without McCoy this season, we all saw the Horns completely fall apart. It doesn't always make perfect sense, as Colt doesn't always seem to be the proto-type qb, but dude is just really good when it comes to getting the job done.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The Falcons road to the Super Bowl

Chicago: Fraud

Saints: No Thomas, No Ivory, No Ring

Phila: Atlanta's offense is too balanced for The Eagles D

GB: The Packers can't handle The Falcons defensive front

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    DrWu said:
    RAJ said:

Are you really saying Elway and Brady are on the same level? One was great. The other is arguably the best of all time.

This might be the definitive splitting hairs post of all time. Yes, you are right, Babe Ruth was better than Ted Williams but that difference is totally unimportant to the matter at hand.

I watched Colt several times this year. I was impressed with his command and composure. I think he has that thing that makes good players great. Unfortunately, you also need some luck with coaches and personnel to reach the highest levels. I fear he is doomed in that regard.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DrWu said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    DrWu said:
    RAJ said:

This might be the definitive splitting hairs post of all time. Yes, you are right, Babe Ruth was better than Ted Williams but that difference is totally unimportant to the matter at hand.

It's not splitting hairs to a Boston fan! But whatevs. Let's talk about how it's not at all embarrassing how excited Pete Carroll is to be getting into the playoffs with a 7-9 team. So glad we got rid of that dude.

• DrWu said:
    Unfortunately, you also need some luck with coaches and personnel to reach the highest levels. I fear he is doomed in that regard.

Totally, as soon as the Browns fired Mangini Colt's career went in the toilet. I mean, where would Elway have gone without Shanahan?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Yosemite Sam aka Holmgren might relent and coach the Browns, molding Colt into a great QB. I don't see that happening though. Colt needs to bail or they need to get a good offensive-minded coach. Hillis, Colt, tightening up the receiver squad with better receivers or better supporting receivers besides Cribbs and Massaquoi, some better linemen and they might be onto something.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Browns weren't as bad as their record indicates. They were leading going into the fourth quarter of like their first 4 losses. They played just about everyone at least relatively tough. Add a sensible coach and a few new key players to the mix and they will be in the playoff hunt.

• so Andrew Luck is staying in school....

who now is worthy of the #1 pick?

• Options
    Risingson said:
    so Andrew Luck is staying in school....

who now is worthy of the #1 pick?

Probably one of the other QBs will emerge, but I saw a few Auburn games this year and Nick Fairley looks like a young Warren Sapp. He's a possibility.

• edpowers said:

Saints: No Thomas, No Ivory, No Ring

Graspin. We'll go to the SB runnin' empty backfield the whole way. Drew Brees don't give a fuskk!!!!