The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• Yup. I came in here specifically to congratulate the Chiefs and their fans. Haley has done a good job and they have drafted well. I'm a big fan of Dwayne Bowe from LSU, and there are other Tigers on the Chiefs as well like Dorsey and Jackson.

The Chargers...shakes head. What was that? So much for this "best team in the league" stuff.......

Saints-Falcons is going to be at tilt tomorrow night. If the Saints win, it will make for an interesting last Sunday in the NFC for seeding and what-not.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah, no doubt, props to the Chiefs, if only cause I love to see the Bolts out. and I like the Chiefs, always have.

• The Singletary era (at first a refreshing notion, revealed soon after to be an ill-advised move, most recently having become a nightmarish joke) is officially over.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/27/SP961GVSHS.DTL

• Pats fans: are you all ready to guarantee a SB appearance? A SB victory?

I'm already tired of seein' Brady's mug and that goofball haircut. I just remember when we had that dude benched in the Dome in Q4 last year.......

I've got Tebow fever. It was so exciting to watch them beat the (turrible) Texans yesterday....dude all runnin around.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:

I'm already tired of seein' Brady's mug and that goofball haircut.
    tom brady is living the dream b/w you sound mad!

• Tebow will be a fun watch next season. 300 yards passing?! Even with his action-figure arm throwing motion, he still finds a way to get it done.

• spivy said:
    b/w you sound mad!

• We did the Pats game yesterday, and pedestrian numbers aside, when that pass offense is clicking, they are so gorgeous to watch. The stats guy sitting to my right, a HUGE Cowboys fan, just turned to me at one point and said, "I think I'd like to be Tom Brady for a weekend. Would be fun to try."

All things being equal, the way he's played this season might be the highest level I've ever seen from a quarterback.

• so happy to see JAX lose, fuck del rio.

• gareth said:
    We did the Pats game yesterday

Hey gareth, did you notice the play in the first half when the dude from the Bills came on a safety blitz and totally leapfrogged over Woodhead? He didn't get to Brady in time so that's probably a play that nobody cared about, but that schitt was pretty incredible. I don't think I ever saw a pass rusher do that before, not the way that dude did it.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    The Singletary era (at first a refreshing notion, revealed soon after to be an ill-advised move, most recently having become a nightmarish joke) is officially over.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/27/SP961GVSHS.DTL

They would probably never play it even if dudes were mic'ed up but I would LOVE to hear what Samurai Mike and Troy Smith were saying on the sidelines. Too bad... I had hopes for Mike, but this coaching shit really is not for him, not on the pro level anyway.

• Ha! Yup, caught that Phill- that got an audible, "Woah!" from everyone in the truck. Those plays getting lost are what make NFL Films great- that sort of shot can live on for decades as a Films short as one of the moments that defines this year's Buffalo team.

There was a similar shot of Bruschi vs Miami from years ago that I think was in every tease/career ending retrospective we did of him, along with the profile shot of him breathing cold air during a night playoff game.

• Options
    GenePontecorvo said:
    Pats fans: are you all ready to guarantee a SB appearance? A SB victory?

I'm already tired of seein' Brady's mug and that goofball haircut. I just remember when we had that dude benched in the Dome in Q4 last year.......

It's cute how having one good season in a hundred years has gone to your head.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

There is a medical term for this...

Bosox Syndrome

Rockadelic said:

Bosox Syndrome

I know this was a joke anyway, but the pain of being a Red Sox fan all those years was that they
    had many, many "good" and even "great" years over the decades, but could never reach the prize.

Not quite the same thing as being a historically non-competitive franchise like the Saints.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

Bosox Syndrome

Terrible analogy. The Sox have had a lot of good to great seasons.

I don't know who else to compare the Saints to. You'd need a team that struggled for decades and did nothing, didn't even get a sniff at real contention before winning. Maybe the White Sox, but their fans don't seem to care much.

Oops, didn't see SOI's post until I sent that. But yeah.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In my experience Saints fans have always been proud and loud.

Only a fandom that is deeply invested would even bother to be "The 'Aints" and wear paper bags.

Now they actually have something that validates their fanaticism.

Comparing them to Yankee or Bosox fans is unfair.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    In my experience Saints fans have always been proud and loud.

Only a fandom that is deeply invested would even bother to be "The 'Aints" and wear paper bags.

Now they actually have something that validates their fanaticism.

Comparing them to Yankee or Bosox fans is unfair.

Don't lump us in with Yankee fans. They've got a lot more felony convictions.

• BobDesperado said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

I can live with this comeback.

I hope so bad to see my Saints back in the Super Bowl against the Pats. Sean Payton is the only coach who is even close to the level that Belichick is on.

• Options
    GenePontecorvo said:
    BobDesperado said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

I can live with this comeback.

I hope so bad to see my Saints back in the Super Bowl against the Pats. Sean Payton is the only coach who is even close to the level that Belichick is on.

I like Payton, too, but if that game happened and Brees and the O-line play like they played tonight it would not be pretty.

Atlanta's O was awful tonight, too. It was almost like both teams were playing vanilla because they think they'll be meeting again in the playoffs.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Joe Webb MVP

• Options
    edpowers said:
    Joe Webb MVP

Did Vick drop you from his payroll?

I figure that anyone still pushing for Vick over Brady after Vick's huge steaming turd of a game tonight should just tattoo "FUTBAL IZ GUD" on his or her forehead and slink away in shame.

Webb was really impressive and I'd like to see a whole lot more of him next year.

• edpowers said:
    Joe Webb MVP

Just think about all the dudes who started him as a WR in Yahoo Fantasy League championship games.

Let's roll this Minnie upset right into Carolina taking out the Dirty Birds on Sunday........

• Options
    GenePontecorvo said:
    Let's roll this Minnie upset right into Carolina taking out the Dirty Birds on Sunday........

You can dream, but no chance.

I didn't think the Vikings had a chance tonight, but it looked like they wanted their coach back. No way Fox will be back in Carolina. Falcons will win big, and the road to Dallas goes through Georgia.

Saints v Bears in Chicago in January could be interesting, if it happens.

• As usual, you only serve to harsh my mellow.

It doesn't matter if ATL winds up with the number one seed, they aren't going to the Bowl.

Green Bay can go to Philly and win. They better take care of business this weekend first, though.

You watch. Carolina. They're gonna go hard. I'm not giving up hope. This is why I watch sports. Who had the Vikings winning tonight or even being competitive. the absolute fact that Fox isn't coming back is WHY I think there are verterans on Carolina who might have one charge left in them. They've already secured the Andrew Luck selection. Let me dream BD, show some class for once.

• Options
    GenePontecorvo said:
    You watch. Carolina. They're gonna go hard. I'm not giving up hope. This is why I watch sports. Who had the Vikings winning tonight or even being competitive. the absolute fact that Fox isn't coming back is WHY I think there are verterans on Carolina who might have one charge left in them. They've already secured the Andrew Luck selection. Let me dream BD, show some class for once.

Dude, I already said you could dream. But it's not gonna happen. The Saints will have to win again in Atlanta in order to get to Dallas. It's not like they're incapable of that.

BTW, what's up with Breesus and all the INTs this year? Is it on the O-line or is it the iffy running game? He can't get away with that shit in the playoffs.

• Brees is cocky and has had to shoulder a huge load and deal w/ a knee injury mid-season. Just numbers catching up with a man who has 3 or the top 5 pass-completing seasons ever. In the history of the league. He throws a staggering amount of passes year in and year out. If he goes w/out a pick against Tampa, he will still have thrown only 4 more than the MVP of last season did (in his MVP winning season of last year, I mean)..

If our stinking, Adderall-snorting emo kicker can hit a 29 yarder back in September...the Sains are *cruising* in again as the #1 seed and the media would be shittin bricks. Instead we are a 12-4 wild card. Seahawks and Rams get to play for the right to get bent over and ass-gaped as if they were Beecher in Oz. At least one teams owner gets several millie in playoff dough for the home game.........

GenePontecorvo said:
    Instead we are a 12-4 wild card.

NFL so fucked with 7-9 teams winning divisions and hosting 12-4 teams in the first round.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

NFL so fucked with 7-9 teams winning divisions and hosting 12-4 teams in the first round.

Wah-wah-fucking-wah. It's called the playoffs, the better (read 12-4) team should steamroll the weaker (read 7-9) team easily regardless of who's at home. Have some confidence, bitches. In 1993 I saw a 103 win Giants (baseball) team not make the playoffs thanks to the Braves and their 104 wins.

At least your team makes it to the playoffs and gets a chance to prove their mettle. The Braves didn't advance past the Phillies.

dollar_bin said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

Wah-wah-fucking-wah. It's called the playoffs, the better (read 12-4) team should steamroll the weaker (read 7-9) team easily regardless of who's at home. Have some confidence, bitches. In 1993 I saw a 103 win Giants (baseball) team not make the playoffs thanks to the Braves and their 104 wins.

At least your team makes it to the playoffs and gets a chance to prove their mettle. The Braves didn't advance past the Phillies.

well, I'm plenty confident, since my team has a first round bye and home field throughout. I wasn't bitching as a fan of any NFC team or whatever, just pointing out the extremes to which the divisions are imbalanced this season. Believe me, as a long-time Red Sox fan, until the wild card (which some say was brought in to give the Red Sox a title) I knew what it was like to have the second best record in the AL but not win the division and miss the playoffs many times.