MLB 2010 THREAD

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Laura Bush's on-camera yawn was so perfect though.

perfect illustration of the aloof-ness of the blue-blood Bush transplant family and the respect they have for their alleged state of TX. Her yawn also punctuated quite well the Rangers' playing last night.

Laura Bush was born and raised in Texas and even killed her first victim there, so she's no transplant.

I don't like the Bush family but it was a car accident by a then 17 year old high-school student. The casualty just happened to be her very close friend.

Who is this guy? Jesus...

Back to baseball - Giants are looking good. This is definitely unexpected. I see it going at least 6 games though.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I'd almost give a game to see it end in SF.

Almost.

Yeah. Same exact thoughts. I mean, hey, it's ALWAYS better to win at home. But given the opportunity to close this sucker out? Why chance it?

That said...Lincecum is due for a big game...for all the hype, he hasn't really had a "meets expectation" game after that first one in the post. Maybe it'll be tonight. That said, it's hard to see Cliff Lee getting mashed on twice in the same series (but hey, maybe his confidence is shattered).

We'll see how it goes! I don't think the Giants' bats are going to go to sleep anytime soon however. Rangers needs to bring it early and often.

• selperfuge said:

Funny, but Yankees uniforms don't have the players' names on the back.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Congrats to the Giants and their fans.

The better team won.

Their pitching staff is sick.

They should have a good team for a long while.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Congrats to my Frisco folk. Yall needed that.

• Classy win Giants. Best season ever for the Rangers. So proud of my team!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Everyone should be proud, man. All these teams busted their asses. Fucking BASEBALL!!!

• The Rangers are a really, really good team - for the Giants to beat them so decisively is pretty damn impressive.

• Rockadelic said:
    Congrats to the Giants and their fans. They should have a good team for a long while.

to be fair, the Rangers were sick this year and it's just the beginning of a juggernaut. much respect due.

i must be getting old because these pitching gems are much more interesting to me than offensive blowouts. nice work San Fran, killing it on drafting homegrown pitching, facemelt prospects, and cheap skilled veterans.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    i must be getting old because these pitching gems are much more interesting to me than offensive blowouts.

Yeah man I said the same thing to myself this year (More along the lines of "I know I'm a grown-up now because...")

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i must be getting old because these pitching gems are much more interesting to me than offensive blowouts.

It's hard not to like these Giants and Bochy......i'm used to San Francisco having at least one villain/asshole on the team.....

Rangers-Cowboys- Mavs :shut:

• Great October for the Giants! Congrats fans! Enjoy the win!

• lookin good san fran!!! big ups to the Bay.
    i like this team a lot. i'm lookin forward to more philly/SF showdowns next year

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    it should be a good season if sf can hang on to a few players that are up for new contracts.

b/w
    this:

is the reason for the collective chip on the shoulder.

• The only analyst that picked the Giants in front of Game 1 was Kruk. Even as of game 4 the majority of ESPN analysts were picking Texas. The lot of them pretending like they hadn't, last night, shit eating grins stretching no wider than on the face of the one Bobby Valentine.

Even with the game over, and the champagne beginning to go flat, these geniuses were basically predicting that there was no way SF would compete next year. They had played, get this, too far into the post season. And their role players would be older.

I don't know who pays these guys, but if they're looking for talent, there's a guy in the NBA threads that would be a perfect fit...

• Cosmo said:
    selperfuge said:

Yeah man I said the same thing to myself this year (More along the lines of "I know I'm a grown-up now because...")

yes! me too.

• Cosmo said:
    Everyone should be proud, man. All these teams busted their asses. Fucking BASEBALL!!!

^^^^THIS.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    JimBeam said:

this:

is the reason for the collective chip on the shoulder.

don't forget:

Although, to be fair, the Giants were two losses away from not even making the playoffs, only clinching on the last game of the regular season and they benefitted from a Padres collapse of epic proportions.

Based upon the actual games that were played in the playoffs, the Giants' championship was well deserved but the experts could not be blamed for not jumping on the SF bandwagon. It's never been a sure thing.

dollar_bin said:
    Although, to be fair, the Giants were two losses away from not even making the playoffs, only clinching on the last game of the regular season and they benefitted from a Padres collapse of epic proportions.

Based upon the actual games that were played in the playoffs, the Giants' championship was well deserved but the experts could not be blamed for not jumping on the SF bandwagon. It's never been a sure thing.

Yeah, I'm not mad at the predictions. If anything, it only made the win that much more rewarding but people are treating it as disrespect...as if the Giants were heading into the WS with the Yankees payroll and line-up.

And in any case, I don't remember Strutters predicting the Giants in 5 with TWO (almost three) shutouts.

CRAZY.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    dollar_bin said:

Yeah, I'm not mad at the predictions. If anything, it only made the win that much more rewarding but people are treating it as disrespect...as if the Giants were heading into the WS with the Yankees payroll and line-up.

And in any case, I don't remember Strutters predicting the Giants in 5 with TWO (almost three) shutouts.

CRAZY.

Agreed....and unfortunately I think the reason all the sports press were picking the Rangers was simply because they had beat the Almighty Yankees.

I'm just saying, the "we weren't given our respect!" cliche wears thin. I would think Giants' fans would be happy everyone thought they couldn't do it. I'm all about the underdog.

• The Bay Area reserves in perpetuity the right to yell "We Have Been Hated Upon"

• THEY MISUNDERESTIMATED US.

mannybolone said:
    I'm just saying, the "we weren't given our respect!" cliche wears thin. I would think Giants' fans would be happy everyone thought they couldn't do it.

The commentary has petered out fairly quickly on this. In the end who cares if you have respect if your team wins and I think Giants fans appreciate this. It didn't come down to a controversial call and this victory is fairly boring news to those not invested in the fate of the Giants or Rangers. If I wasn't a Giants fan to begin with, I probably would have been most entranced by the Rangers victory over the Yankees in this post-season, and the go-home-early Yankees "fans" who ditched their team in the late innings in losing efforts.

Giants fans had to eat a shitload of crow regarding Barry Bonds and his steroidal success, even though he was merely a vanguard of a vast conspiracy of performance enhancing drugs in the Major Leagues from the late 80s. Fine, we never won with him and now we promise not to complain about 2002. Any fan of a team to win the WS in the last 20 years, feel free to chime in, I guarantee that your favorite player was shooting juice into their tuchus with regularity.

All I know is that I was incredibly moved thinking about how, in Game 4, Posey and Bumgarner had started with the Giants AS ROOKIES TOGETHER this year, and here they were, in tandem, helping the Giants win what was either the most or second most important game of the series.

Just imagine being those two guys, contemplating the enormity of their challenge and just nodding across those 46 feet like, "dude, let's do this."

And then one night later, it's Aubrey Huff bunting for the first time in his career to advance the bases and then having Edgar Renteria, possibly on the verge of retirement, flashing back to 1997, clobbering Cliff Lee for a 3 run homer.

The rise of the young and redemption of the old. Circle of life, batches.

• Renteria won his first world series when Bumgarner was 8.

• i'm curious where this will go. SF fans (i'm not one) keep enjoying the moment and the underdog angle is cute.. the reality is it's not a sustainable model.

the pitching staff is two #1 aces and two #2s on any other team -- and they're all fairly young, locked up or pre-free agency while Zito could eat innings or even bounce back to some modicum of usefulness. having an elite starting rotation like this is beyond rare, on some '95 Braves or '65 Dodgers.

i think SF should double down when the moment is theirs. sell Google some box seats, get that venture capital, maybe shave a buck off beers but triple the price of a stadium coffee -- find that money somehow. or simply forgo short term profitability for long term gain.

splash chips on Carl Crawford in the coming months. failing that, sign up Jayson Werth. Jeffrey Loria (Marlins owner) is the bob djukic of art dealers.. he will never give Dan Uggla correct money so trade a heavy prospect for him. the whole Torres/Huff/Ross cheap buy luck can't be counted on.. keep vulturing those old dudes but add a couple big bats.. then you're talking threepeat viability.

• Im sure we've already got a contract drawn up for Werth.