MLB 2010 THREAD

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Where that at?B/WIt is an absolute PLEASURE watching these Phillies play ball.

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    PoLAAAAANCO!
    4 hits tonight

somehow the lineup is nastier than last year. jroll is hittin right off the bat. hope victorino dont start slumping now that he got dropped to 7 spot

go phils!!!

cos, these fools are all mets fans...shivering in their mental lockerrooms

• Where that at?

B/W

It is an absolute PLEASURE watching these Phillies play ball.

you're welcome.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I hope the Nationals never win another game this decade.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Yabba-Dabba-Do!

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    WIZARDLY LIKE HOGWARTS AND 'EM

man, starting the season against the nationals, astros and back to the nationals is quite a blessing. not much comp, but we doing what we supposed to....whoopin that asssss!

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    The Phillies offense this year is BEYOND ridiculous. Probably the best offense in baseball. Hamels is starting to worry me though. I don't think we have a SOLID #2 after Halladay, but offensively, we can outscore anyone in the league. I'm praying Dominic Brown gets a call-up this year. It'll be interesting to see how the prospects that the Phils gave up for Lee and Halladay (Kyle Drabek and Carlos Carrasco) turn out. It's a shame JRoll is out for a few.

On another note....Jason Heyward is the TRUTH.

yeah we need fatJoe back...Happ could prov this year that he's a number two, the kids allright. HAmels, man...dude got rocked twice by the nationals

you think dom brown would evn get any time if he got called up?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Phillies offense this year is BEYOND ridiculous. Probably the best offense in baseball. Hamels is starting to worry me though. I don't think we have a SOLID #2 after Halladay, but offensively, we can outscore anyone in the league.

Pitching and defense, dude. That said, in a short series, anything can happen when you have a #1 like Halladay.

I'm reserving judgment on my Red Sox.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I think Brown needs another full season at least in the minors. Taylor was the one who was MLB ready.

Also, still think worrying over Hamels is pre-mature. When you compare his '09 to his '08, just about everything is similar - strikeout rate, walk rate, % of fly balls/liners that are homers and/or extra base hits, line drive %, ground balls to liners/fly balls, etc. Seriously, the only big difference between '08 and '09 is he gave up more singles. If there was something else going on, you'd expect to see more differences than just singles, ya know? Most likely, '08 was his best case scenario/great luck year, and '09 was worst case/bad luck.

Anyway, looks like more of the same for my beloved Marlins. Offense should be top 3 or so in the NL, defense should be mediocre at best, and the difference between another ~.500 season and the wild card is whether any of the pitching beyond JJ and Nolasco step up. Gotta hope that some trio out of the group of Volstad, Robertson, Hensley, West, Sanchez, and VandenHurk can shore up the rotation, and that the patchwork bullpen can hold together until some of the legit RP prospects like Ceda and Tucker are ready. It'll be a fun 3 team race in the NL East, assuming the Phillies don't run away with the division by July/August.

Good question - I don't know how much time DB would get if he was called up. I think it would take Werth going down for him to get playing time.

werth might leave at the end of the season and get big bucks somewhere. next years the time for db

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    halladay could win 30 games with that run support and pitching in the national league for the philz.

i foresee my gigantes coming out the national league west with 88 wins. go giants.

halladay could win 30 games with that run support and pitching in the national league for the philz.

i foresee my gigantes coming out the national league west with 88 wins. go giants.

I have the Rockies over the Giants in a close NL West race. Why? i have no logical reason. i think Colorado is the sexy pick this year.

i don't want to feed into the phillies bandwagoning on ss but this cracked me up this morning:

http://cbs3.com/local/Philadelphia.Phillies.Matthew.2.1636036.html

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Jason Heyward rookie fetches $1,999 on eBay. Is he the real deal?

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    i don't want to feed into the phillies bandwagoning on ss but this cracked me up this morning:

In some ways, even more surprising than the beatdown murder last year in the parking lot.

When catching up with some (non-bandwagon) friends from Philly, they talked about it as a price of success. The Phils are now a championship caliber squad and they wouldn't trade that for anything, but the live experience has morphed over the last 3-4 years. Used to be more laid back, sparse, mostly knowledgeable baseball fans...now it's like going to an Eagles game.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

In some ways, even more surprising than the beatdown murder last year in the parking lot.

When catching up with some (non-bandwagon) friends from Philly, they talked about it as a price of success. The Phils are now a championship caliber squad and they wouldn't trade that for anything, but the live experience has morphed over the last 3-4 years. Used to be more laid back, sparse, mostly knowledgeable baseball fans...now it's like going to an Eagles game.

Wait 'til your ownership decides to compete with the Yankees on the reg and jacks seat prices up 400%. It'll be the I'M ON MY CELL PHONE TELLING EVERYONE I'M AT THE GAME INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE GAME - WAIT DID WE JUST PUNT? crowd, while you and your actual baseball fan friends watch at home 'cause you can't afford to go anymore.

Yes mad, doggie.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I'm just happy that the threat of contraction or relocation doesn't exist anymore. I don't think I'll ever be able to really hate on Loria because of that. New stadium 2012 and routinely keeping quality players after their 2nd-3rd year of arbitration, wooooooo. (Of course, no longer living in the state mitigates my concerns of eventually not being able to afford decent seats since the lower bowl is almost all corporate/sponsor-owned season tix)

Also, encouraged that the Fish looked solid against the Phils when Halladay wasn't on the mound. Moyer's Marlin Killer card is officially revoked at this point. Still kinda expect Robertson to fall apart by late May/June, though. Hopefully, one of West/Miller will be ready by then.

this halladay guy is looking allright

• uhhh did this thread get superceded by another one or something? no love in here since April? the fuck?

anyway I was at Giants-Dbacks last night and it was a glorious fall (SF summer) eve; watched Lincecum start and Wilson close. 3-1. Saturday is the next game I got tix for; I would love to personally witness the clinch, but I'll settle for watching it on TV tmrw night if that's how it goes down ;)

BEAT SD.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Looks like the first post in this tread is completely appropriate ;)

Cosmo said:
    Where that at?

B/W

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm rooting for whatever team can bring the baseball season to its quickest conclusion.

• Cosmo said:
    Looks like the first post in this tread is completely appropriate ;)

Cosmo said:
    Where that at?

B/W

looks like you could be playing the Padres. if so, I'd like you to beat them, please. no use chasing them all season for a playoff spot only to end up getting beat by them in the playoffs. (though the Cardinals will prlly make sure they don't get the wild card spot).

All of this assumes of course that we win the title, and we loooove to blow a shot at the title.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    With the Fish out, I'm all about the San Francisco Cody Rosses.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    JEFFREY LORIA CAN EAT A DIK

• after watching my bluebirds play the bridesmaid in the toughest division in professional sports this year, im going to have to support the phillies in the playoffs. not to oil the bandwagon wheels, but simply to watch doc halladay get his ring. i had the extreme pleasure of watching him stud out on a sub par team for almost a decade and the man is a vision of dominance and class, a combination not often found in pro sports.

Word Series Game 1 Halladay vs Lee would be some :face_melt: shit