MLB 2010 THREAD

Comments

• Teams with a 2-0 lead in the World Series have won 40 of 51 times all-time (78.4 percent), including 13 of the last 14. The lone exception over that span (since 1987) was the 1996 Braves, who lost four in a row to the Yankees after leading 2-0.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/mlb/preview.asp?g=301030113

To answer your question, O, of course no one is donning WS champion hats just yet. Unlike some of these newbs in my city I actually vividly remember the '02 debacle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_World_Series#Game_6) and I would never say that can't happen again.

Still, we have much to be proud of already. Getting back to last night's game, Cain has now gone 21 1/3 innings without an earned run (he's now just the second pitcher since 1933 to throw at least 20 postseason innings without allowing an earned run)...opposing team batters with runners in scoring position are now 1-for-15 against him in the postseason...and he has a better lifetime ERA (3.45) than Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, Andy Pettitte or Chris Carpenter.

• oh and this:

"Don't Stop Believin', the Journey power ballad, has become the first catalog track ever to sell more than 2 million downloads according to SoundScan."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/06/the-best-selling-digital_n_141871.html

• edubedub 715 Posts
    panda hat... what??s the story on those?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    oh and this:

"Don't Stop Believin', the Journey power ballad, has become the first catalog track ever to sell more than 2 million downloads according to SoundScan."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/06/the-best-selling-digital_n_141871.html

GLEE, man. Glee.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    edub said:
    panda hat... what??s the story on those?

i'm assuming you're being serious, but this guy:

is nicknamed panda bear/kung-fu panda

he earned it last year by hitting out of his skull. a bit of a sophmore slump (+40lbs this season), but the name and fan popularity has stuck. he's had a couple important hits in the postseason so far-- you'll probably see him in the DH spot in Texas a bit.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    ok, thanks.

yes - I am disconnected.

• Sanchez is not for real.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Tommy Hunter up tonight.. by the time we're out of candy the Giants will be up 3-1.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    Tommy Hunter up tonight.. by the time we're out of candy the Giants will be up 3-1.

You do know that Hunter had the best winning percentage of any starting pitcher in MLB and is 7-0 in Arlington.....right?

I expect the Texas bats to come alive tonight.

Rockadelic said:
    selperfuge said:

I expect the Texas bats to come alive tonight.

:shame_on_you:

Btw, Bumgarner and King Moist, separated at birth?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    bumgarner really, really surprised me tonight. throwing this season and postseason, he's showed a steady, methodological approach, but his absolute dominance tonight was something i didn't expect.

vlad will be having nightmares about madison for a while.

As a friend put it, Texans must be losing their minds that two guys named "Madison" and "Aubrey" smashed them tonight.

• Options
    mannybolone said:
    As a friend put it, Texans must be losing their minds that two guys named "Madison" and "Aubrey" smashed them tonight.

Cruel but quite possibly true.

This series has not gone anything like the way I thought it would. That's baseball.

mannybolone said:

Tell your friend Aubrey Huff is a Texan from right here in D/FW.

As a Ranger fan I'm obviously disappointed.

As a baseball fan I can't be mad at the Giants who have done it the right way with homegrown talent.

Considering that the Rangers #1 & #2 Starters at the beginning of the season aren't even on the roster any longer, I'd say we went above and beyond expectations.

At this point only the Democrats are a bigger longshot than the Rangers.

• stepping out of the world series talk for a second, it's an all-canadian hank aaron award this year. joey votto of the red (from etobicoke, ON) and jose bautista of the jays splitting the honor. ill take that as a consolation prize as a committed jays fan.

Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:

Tell your friend Aubrey Huff is a Texan from right here in D/FW.

As a Ranger fan I'm obviously disappointed.

As a baseball fan I can't be mad at the Giants who have done it the right way with homegrown talent.

Considering that the Rangers #1 & #2 Starters at the beginning of the season aren't even on the roster any longer, I'd say we went above and beyond expectations.

At this point only the Democrats are a bigger longshot than the Rangers.

I could be wrong but even the Dems aren't going to bat .211

• Rockadelic said:

not trying to be a dick, but what do you mean by this?

I mean, our roster also looks way different, but it's probably better for the changes.

I don't have to remind you that our highest paid player is not even playing in the post-season.

• I thought it was just a thin rationalization of what must have been a bitter surprise for Texas fans (as it was for Atlanta and Philly fans before them).

Sometimes a team just has the mojo; but more to the point, pitching (defense) wins championships. The Giants have easily the best pitching roster in the bigs. Philly laid claim to the mantle, as did Texas... neither of them were able to best the Giants' arms.*

*assuming an epic collapse is not in the offing, though I still would never put one past any Bay Area team!

rootlesscosmo said:
    Rockadelic said:

not trying to be a dick, but what do you mean by this?

I mean, our roster also looks way different, but it's probably better for the changes.

I don't have to remind you that our highest paid player is not even playing in the post-season.

Simple.....going into the season Rich Harden was our #1 starter....Scott Feldman was our #2.....our #3 was a guy who hadn't pitched in MLB for 3 years and our #4 had never started a game....NO rational Ranger fan thought we had a chance to be AL Champs....and most sports "professionals" had us picked 3rd or 4th in our Division.

I'd say that equals above and beyond expectations.

• Rangers' CEO maintains it's going the full seven. Don't mess with (attorneys from Pittsburgh who buy teams in) Texas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5752344

• yeah I mean what team goes into the post-season with their opening day line-up intact?

re: Sanchez, he had a bad NLCS and has had a bad WS. Still, I believe he had our lowest ERA going into the post-season. He was a beast for us in the latter half of the season. But he's obviously too emotional to deliver on the big stage; sad to watch.

and yeah, it ain't over 'till it's over. and I hope that's tonight.

• I'd almost give a game to see it end in SF.

Almost.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The parading of the Bush Family last night made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Karma is a bitch.

• when they put in that slo-mo of them on the golf cart, WTF? are they supposed to represent America or something? they are washed up government functionaries. shouldn't "God Bless America" evoke more significant emotions in me than those two clowns?

and yo, as much as I love "God Bless America" and all, am I the only one who thinks it's a bit much to ask that we "please rise" in the 7th inning when they sing it? There's people in the stands taking their hats off and placing their hands over their hearts. Um, why is this? It's not like it's the nat'l anthem. It's *just* a song; really they could have chosen anything, e.g. "My Country, Tis of Thee," right?

I dunno; I'm just not into the gratuitous sanctification of a random America song. unlike the Star Spangled Banner, this particular ditty (sp?) doesn't really hold any special significance for me. I guess all "traditions" need to start somewhere, and 20 yrs hence it may seem perfectly normal to rise for this song, but I'm not really into it.

/America-hating Giants fan.

• Laura Bush's on-camera yawn was so perfect though.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Laura Bush's on-camera yawn was so perfect though.

perfect illustration of the aloof-ness of the blue-blood Bush transplant family and the respect they have for their alleged state of TX. Her yawn also punctuated quite well the Rangers' playing last night.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    My pumpkins last night:

Happy Halloween by Dollar Bin, on Flickr

Rangers fans' nightmares last night:

For a team that's had alternating hitting and pitching woes all season, the baseball Gods have showered the Giants with an above expectations post-season on both sides of the ball. It really isn't over until it's over, baseball is a game designed to break your heart, yadda yadda yadda but even I am cautiously optimistic, and I'm a long time Giants fan so I've been hurt enough times to be weary at all times. The Rangers still scare me, but the Giants pitching has been a thing of beauty and Texas has an awfully big hill to climb to beat Lincecum, followed by Cain and either Sanchez or Bumgarner at home.

• Options
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Laura Bush's on-camera yawn was so perfect though.

perfect illustration of the aloof-ness of the blue-blood Bush transplant family and the respect they have for their alleged state of TX. Her yawn also punctuated quite well the Rangers' playing last night.

Laura Bush was born and raised in Texas and even killed her first victim there, so she's no transplant.