MLB 2010 THREAD

Comments

• Heh yeah. I mean, I couldn't root for them in San Jose. That's a bridge too far with no actual bridge. Fremont I could consider... Richmond? Hell yeah.

And I have been yelling about the dumb ass "Golden State" name for years. OAKLAND WARRIORS. MAKE IT SO.

Anyways though, this is really about Those Giants and how we're about to take it to Dubya's Boys.

Cali medical grade versus Texas shwag.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    this historic Oakland franchise

Eh. Two-thirds of the A's history was spent in two other cities. The franchise is historic, but the Oakland connection is no more historic than the Seattle Mariners (1968/1969 respectively). No hatt, just sayin'.

• Cosmo said:
    But there's nothing in the world that will convince me that Brian Wilson isn't one of the games biggest tools.

yes. the foundation of his pitching skills is a gimmick beard. corny.

that being said, go Giants. Ross, Uribe, Posey and Timmy got my respect.
    sanchez, not so much.

why didnt we see that crazy slider reliever with the real beard more? he came in, threw 9 pitches, 1 2 3 and was never seen again. Soto is dope!!!

• Jonny_Paycheck said:

Next week: Prop 19 and a World SEries Ring!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm taking all wagers.....raers.....regional eats.....you name it.

I like what the Giants have done this year, and would be rooting for them if the Rangers had not have made it.

But this is our year....and I'm willing talk the talk and walk the walk.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Given that Prop 19 is looking to go down, badly, I wouldn't want to tie the Giants' fate with it.

• DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Eh. Two-thirds of the A's history was spent in two other cities. The franchise is historic, but the Oakland connection is no more historic than the Seattle Mariners (1968/1969 respectively). No hatt, just sayin'.

Dude.

the A's have more division titles, league pennants, and Word Series championships in Oakland than Boston does for the same years. I am just saying.

Division championships: Oakland: 14 .... Boston: 6
    American League championships: Oakland 6 .... Boston 4
    World Series championships: Oakland 4 .... Boston 2

The Oakland A's are as much a dynasty as any franchise you care to mention save for perhaps the Yankees.

• mannybolone said:
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Given that Prop 19 is looking to go down, badly, I wouldn't want to tie the Giants' fate with it.

badly?

last few polls I looked at seemed pretty even. Perhaps I am not in the know regarding Teh Local Cannabis Experience, however.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Dude.

the A's have more division titles, league pennants, and Word Series championships in Oakland than Boston does for the same years. I am just saying.

Division championships: Oakland: 14 .... Boston: 6
    American League championships: Oakland 6 .... Boston 4
    World Series championships: Oakland 4 .... Boston 2

The Oakland A's are as much a dynasty as any franchise you care to mention save for perhaps the Yankees.

My dude.

The AL West:

1969: California Angels, Chicago White Sox, Kansas City Royals, Minnesota Twins, Oakland Athletics, Seattle Pilots

1970-71: California Angels, Chicago White Sox, Kansas City Royals, Milwaukee Brewers, Minnesota Twins, Oakland Athletics

1972-76: California Angels, Chicago White Sox, Kansas City Royals, Minnesota Twins, Oakland Athletics, Texas Rangers

1977-93: California Angels, Chicago White Sox, Kansas City Royals, Minnesota Twins, Oakland Athletics, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers

1994-Present: California/Anaheim Angels/Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Oakland Athletics, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers

I mean, you can beat up on the special needs kids all day long, but I wouldn't brag about it. ;)

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    DO YOU EVEN PARTY?

• The fact remains that in the American League, the Athletics have more pennants than Boston, since they moved to Oakland.

But go on, blame the Yankees, it's what you guys do best.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Love seeing Juan Uribe coming through in the clutch. He was a big, mostly unheralded, part of the White Sox when they won it all in 2005. Second-to-last-out in the ninth inning in the fourth game of the series, a ball was hit into foul territory in Houston and a handful of Astros fans parted like the Red Sea so Uribe could come and take that ball. That would never happen in Chicago. Here's hoping he takes what's his again in Texas. Actually will be happy for either team if they win, but I rather be eating mushrooms with the Freak than sippin' ginger ale with Hamilton and Washington.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The fact remains that in the American League, the Athletics have more pennants than Boston, since they moved to Oakland.

But go on, blame the Yankees, it's what you guys do best.

So mad right now

b/w

Don't worry, my dude. I'll buy you a Dionne Warwick bobblehead for the shop.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    mannybolone said:
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

badly?

last few polls I looked at seemed pretty even. Perhaps I am not in the know regarding Teh Local Cannabis Experience, however.

Earlier in the summer, it had a slim lead but now it's reverse course and is down by 5 pts and there's been a slew of public officials coming out against it, esp. at the federal level. I don't think it's completely dead in the water but unless there's a remarkable turnaround, I don't think it's going to make it.

mannybolone said:
    SF >>>>>>>>>>>>> TX, all day, er'day.

^^^Proof that even if it's not legal, it's easy to get serious mind altering drugs on the left coast.^^^

• tripledouble said:
    the foundation of his pitching skills is a gimmick beard. corny.

care to explain this asinine remark? was it his beard that led the league in saves this season?

tripledouble said:

that being said, go Giants. Ross, Uribe, Posey and Timmy got my respect.
    sanchez, not so much.

which sanchez?

Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:

^^^Proof that even if it's not legal, it's easy to get serious mind altering drugs on the left coast.^^^

Dude, I'm talking about who I'm rooting for, not necessarily who is fielding the better team. Even hardcore Giants fans I know will be the first to say "this team sucks" in terms of individual talents but by the grace of the baseball gods, they've made it work this fall.

rootlesscosmo said:
    tripledouble said:

care to explain this asinine remark? was it his beard that led the league in saves this season?

Hey, no one really likes a closer unless they're on your team. Closers are like professional dream crushers; I guess that'd make Rivera baseball's Freddy Krueger.

If I wasn't rolling for the Giants, I'd probably think Wilson was a tool too. As my friend Sean pointed out, Wilson is to Giants' fans what Artest is to Lakers' fans.

• mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:

Dude, I'm talking about who I'm rooting for, not necessarily who is fielding the better team. Even hardcore Giants fans I know will be the first to say "this team sucks" in terms of individual talents but by the grace of the baseball gods, they've made it work this fall.

haha Im sorry my dude but this is no longer an even remotely defensible position. the Padres tested us, the Braves tested us, the PHILLIES (widely considered the best team in baseball this year) tested us. we beat them all. and not on some last minute bad play call BS. that's not how baseball works; it's a game of series'. we beat them all multiple times. we did it through a combination of great pitching and timely hitting. that's what's up. even the "individually-theres-no-great-players-but-somehow-it-works" thing is totally bogus. this squad has all-stars. this squad has a rookie-of-the-year contender. this squad has a multiple-cy-young-award winner.

not sure who these "hardcore Giants fans" are who are telling you "this team sucks." I can tell you as I sit here in SF that it would be hard to find anyone in my neighborhood still saying that at this point.

"this team sucks" is hilarious to me as we head to game 1 of the fall classic.

• mannybolone said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    tripledouble said:

Hey, no one really likes a closer unless they're on your team. Closers are like professional dream crushers; I guess that'd make Rivera baseball's Freddy Krueger.

If I wasn't rolling for the Giants, I'd probably think Wilson was a tool too. As my friend Sean pointed out, Wilson is to Giants' fans what Artest is to Lakers' fans.

let's leave aside team loyalty for a minute. I have seen BW out in SF and from my limited interactions with him and from what people who know him have told me and from interviews I've seen I can tell you he very probably IS a tool.

but the all-he-has-going-for-him-is-the-beard thing is some WTF material. dude is nasty, tool or not.

Believe me, Dallas sports fans understand the concept of "He's an asshole, but he's OUR asshole".

I'm ready to wager some Tejas salsa and chips for some Rice-A-Roni or somesuch.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i think this should answer most people's questions about Brian Wilson

maru said:

Kenny Powers

• maru said:

Don't forget this one.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude is a tool. That aside, anyone who gets into the post season doesn't suck, please be for real.

• for every Kenny Powers-type goofy video clip I suppose I could post one about how he found Jesus or how he dedicates every save to his dead father.

my point is who cares? he's shown amazing stuff this season for us. his numbers speak for themselves. he's one of the reasons we're in this right now. I posted the jim rome interview up on page 4 or whatever.

im still waiting for an explanation of what his beard has to do with his saves record this season. anyone?

• rootlesscosmo said:
    for every Kenny Powers-type goofy video clip I suppose I could post one about how he found Jesus or how he dedicates every save to his dead father.

my point is who cares? he's shown amazing stuff this season for us. his numbers speak for themselves. he's one of the reasons we're in this right now. I posted the jim rome interview up on page 4 or whatever.

im still waiting for an explanation of what his beard has to do with his saves record this season. anyone?

Actually wasn't knocking him by posting that Cheap Seats clip. Would rather have this guy playing up the crazy closer persona & having a sense of humor, than just be regurgitating the same boring generic athlete-speak.

• I think we can all agree that the crazy closer persona only works when you're dealing. so far he's dealt great. but as soon as you stop bringing good stuff, an act like his admittedly looks a lot sillier.

Don't get your knickers in a twist. The point here is that the team isn't exactly stocked with a slew of future Hall of Famers. It's not a diss on the team to suggest that - *as every sports journalist has* - this SF team is filled with "journeymen and cast-offs". The Giants have been underdogs this entire post and I think that's what makes their story special. They are, on paper, a team no one would expect to be that great, yet here they are.

maru said:

The answer being "he's a less slobby Zach Galifianakis"? (Note: I rather love this clip)