MLB 2010 THREAD

Comments

• mannybolone said:
    Don't get your knickers in a twist. The point here is that the team isn't exactly stocked with a slew of future Hall of Famers. It's not a diss on the team to suggest that - *as every sports journalist has* - this SF team is filled with "journeymen and cast-offs". The Giants have been underdogs this entire post and I think that's what makes their story special. They are, on paper, a team no one would expect to be that great, yet here they are.

oh no doubt. my point to you was: "don't get carried away." underdogs? sure. but a sucky team? hardly. they are a good ball team that defied odds by beating ball teams considered better than they were. nothing particularly sucky about them!

like Sabean said post-game 6: "Everybody's saying the Phillies didn't hit. But they didn't hit because we pitched this well. That's why we really won the series."

• rootlesscosmo said:

im still waiting for an explanation of what his beard has to do with his saves record this season. anyone?
    maaan, i was jus busting on him. dudes been shut down for a while.

hadnt seen those clips but the bondage themed interviews definitely get props

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    im still waiting for an explanation of what his beard has to do with his saves record this season. anyone?

actually you kind of played yourself with that comment -- saves are more a function of save opportunities.. thus, the poor SF offense and all the nailbiter "torture" games contributed heavily to running Wilson's total. same reason why Heath Bell had so many. Carlos Marmol had a better season than both. Still, Wilson is easily a top five NL closer.

it will be interesting to see if even gets into a game what with the Ranger's :face_melt: offense.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    again, i say:

JimBeam said:
    fuck the haters

phila dudes all sandy because they're payroll and performance aren't moving in the same direction anymore. boo fuckin hoo.

that beard struck out your dude. deal.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    JimBeam said:

that beard struck out your dude. deal.

I think the more proper send-off would be "step off"

• selperfuge said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

actually you kind of played yourself with that comment -- .

huh?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jim Beam you sound like a sore winner.

rootlesscosmo said:
    selperfuge said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

huh?

Selperfuge: "saves are more a function of save opportunities.. thus, the poor SF offense and all the nailbiter "torture" games contributed heavily to running Wilson's total."

I'm not sure if I follow Selperfuge's logic here though. Let's say SF's batters were creating six run leads going into the 8th and 9th...even in those cases, wouldn't they still bring in a closer (to rest the starting pitcher)?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    selperfuge said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

huh?

Selperfuge: "saves are more a function of save opportunities.. thus, the poor SF offense and all the nailbiter "torture" games contributed heavily to running Wilson's total."

I'm not sure if I follow Selperfuge's logic here though. Let's say SF's batters were creating six run leads going into the 8th and 9th...even in those cases, wouldn't they still bring in a closer (to rest the starting pitcher)?

Wouldn't be a save opportunity.

"The official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions:

He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
    He is not the winning pitcher;
    He is credited with at least ??? of an inning pitched; and
    He satisfies one of the following conditions:
    He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
    He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
    He pitches for at least three innings

i'm saying the guy is good.. but saves aren't the best way of judging how good he is.

sorry, i was reacting to this comment:

rootlesscosmo said:
    was it his beard that led the league in saves this season?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I work with a guy that was flossing 4 tickets to Sunday's game.....with a straight face I offered him $5K for the four of them and he didn't even hesitate and said Hell No!! He had paid $75.00 a piece after winning a "lottery" the team ran.

Thirty nine years and this is our first World Series....tickets on the field level are selling for $10K and somewhere off in a little room Jerry Jones is crying.

• Rockadelic said:
    I work with a guy that was flossing 4 tickets to Sunday's game.....with a straight face I offered him $5K for the four of them and he didn't even hesitate and said Hell No!! He had paid $75.00 a piece after winning a "lottery" the team ran.

Thirty nine years and this is our first World Series....tickets on the field level are selling for $10K and somewhere off in a little room Jerry Jones is crying.

Haha! I love it. I was going to buy my mother in law tickets for her birthday, but not at those prices. Looks like my living room is gonna be the best seats. The traffic at Sunday's game should be insane by the way with Dallas also playing Jacksonville right before.

something occurred to me thing morning when i wondered why this thread is so much more contentious than the 2009 one.

lots of back and forth in 2009 - Philly and NYC have tons of Strutteurs
    2010 - San Fran and Dallas/Austin, again big SS towns

if this trend holds believe the 2011 series will be Chicago vs. Seattle. Fine, no Cubs fans here but the Pac NW will influence something somehow.

InnerSpace said:
    Rockadelic said:

Haha! I love it. I was going to buy my mother in law tickets for her birthday, but not at those prices. Looks like my living room is gonna be the best seats. The traffic at Sunday's game should be insane by the way with Dallas also playing Jacksonville right before.

3 of us are going out there Monday night if it's not a sweep and seeing what scalper tickets are going for an inning or two into the game.

• selperfuge said:
    something occurred to me thing morning when i wondered why this thread is so much more contentious than the 2009 one.

lots of back and forth in 2009 - Philly and NYC have tons of Strutteurs
    2010 - San Fran and Dallas/Austin, again big SS towns

if this trend holds believe the 2011 series will be Chicago vs. Seattle. Fine, no Cubs fans here but the Pac NW will influence something somehow.

haha when will the euro lurkers get their ticket to the big show though?

• Rockadelic said:
    a sweep.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    somewhere off in a little room Jerry Jones is crying.

jerry jones wouldn't be caught dead in a little room. it's a large, expensive room that he cries in.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Rockadelic said:
    a sweep.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I didn't say who would win....just that if there's a game 5 I'll be there......obviously if the Giants sweep, I won't.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i can't tell if this is serious or not

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/sblow/stories/102710dnmetblow.1cb651576.html

Rangers' Regular Joes deserve to topple San Francisco's Giants in World Series
    07:31 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 27, 2010

SAN FRANCISCO ??? Frankly, I'm surprised they still play baseball in San Francisco. I figured that by now someone here would have decided that baseball chalk isn't Earth-kind or that the game is overtly sexist or gender-role confining or some such claptrap.

San Francisco doesn't deserve to win the World Series . Maybe every resident deserves a Nobel Prize for being so dang enlightened. But, please, save baseball's highest achievement for a bunch of Regular Joes who earned it.

In San Francisco, Regular Joe is probably the cutesy name for some high-dollar Sumatran fair-trade coffee.

I am thinking about real Regular Joes like Nolan Ryan and Michael Young and Ron Washington and all the other ordinary, hard-working guys who have made the Texas Rangers so much fun to watch this year. Here's a classic example of our differences. The mayor of San Francisco is a guy named Gavin Newsom. Yes, Gavin Newsom. And if the name isn't debonair enough, you should see him. He looks like a movie star or male model. He reeks of San Francisco effete.

Meanwhile, Arlington has a mayor named Robert Cluck. Cluck! And as for his looks, I think we can all agree that he has a great personality.

He's a Regular Joe. Just like Regular Joe Barton , who represents Arlington in Congress. Do I have to tell you who represents San Francisco? Yep, Madame Speaker Nancy Pelosi. That ought to get Texas Ranger fans of the Tea Party variety stirred up right there.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to inject politics into baseball. But it's hard to imagine two places more different facing each other in the World Series ??? one right, one left. Some would say one right, one wrong. But there are other differences in the cities, too. Like climate.

In San Francisco, Giants fans sip hot chocolate and wear coats and jackets to games all summer long. They're not purified into a higher state of baseball consciousness by enduring games at the Ballpark/Sweat Lodge in Arlington. Then there are the team colors. The Giants are all decked out in Halloween black and orange ??? the only holiday devoted to evil spirits. What are the Rangers' colors? Let's say 'em together. Red, white and blue. It's obvious who should win this thing. Bring on the Giant killers.

• ^^ looks suspiciously effete

Just hyperbolic BS.

I've been to a Giants game in SF at the old Candlestick.....got to go in the Locker Room.....sat in the owners seats...even caught a foul ball....and I have to say they have some of the best, hard core fans anywhere.

Funny thing is after I caught the foul ball I leaned over to the guy sitting in front of me, Rob Schnieder, and asked him to sign it to my daughters. He looked at me like I was crazy and I explained that if I just brought the ball home my kids wouldn't be impressed, but they would be if he had signed it. It was at the same time his "Men Behaving badly" show was running and he signed it "Behave badly". I recently told my daughter that if she ever met him and mentioned this he would definitely remember because what outher lunatic would ask him to sign a baseball.

I like the current Giants team....hard playing guys who deserve to be there. I'm thinking it will be a good series but think the Rangers offense and speed will prevail.

To all you Giant fans, best of luck and may the best team win.

• edith head said:
    Then there are the team colors. The Giants are all decked out in Halloween black and orange ??? the only holiday devoted to evil spirits. What are the Rangers' colors? Let's say 'em together. Red, white and blue. It's obvious who should win this thing.

wow, great point! lol

• edith head said:
    i can't tell if this is serious or not

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/sblow/stories/102710dnmetblow.1cb651576.html

Rangers' Regular Joes deserve to topple San Francisco's Giants in World Series
    07:31 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 27, 2010

SAN FRANCISCO ??? Frankly, I'm surprised they still play baseball in San Francisco. I figured that by now someone here would have decided that baseball chalk isn't Earth-kind or that the game is overtly sexist or gender-role confining or some such claptrap.

San Francisco doesn't deserve to win the World Series . Maybe every resident deserves a Nobel Prize for being so dang enlightened. But, please, save baseball's highest achievement for a bunch of Regular Joes who earned it.

In San Francisco, Regular Joe is probably the cutesy name for some high-dollar Sumatran fair-trade coffee.

I am thinking about real Regular Joes like Nolan Ryan and Michael Young and Ron Washington and all the other ordinary, hard-working guys who have made the Texas Rangers so much fun to watch this year. Here's a classic example of our differences. The mayor of San Francisco is a guy named Gavin Newsom. Yes, Gavin Newsom. And if the name isn't debonair enough, you should see him. He looks like a movie star or male model. He reeks of San Francisco effete.

Meanwhile, Arlington has a mayor named Robert Cluck. Cluck! And as for his looks, I think we can all agree that he has a great personality.

He's a Regular Joe. Just like Regular Joe Barton , who represents Arlington in Congress. Do I have to tell you who represents San Francisco? Yep, Madame Speaker Nancy Pelosi. That ought to get Texas Ranger fans of the Tea Party variety stirred up right there.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to inject politics into baseball. But it's hard to imagine two places more different facing each other in the World Series ??? one right, one left. Some would say one right, one wrong. But there are other differences in the cities, too. Like climate.

In San Francisco, Giants fans sip hot chocolate and wear coats and jackets to games all summer long. They're not purified into a higher state of baseball consciousness by enduring games at the Ballpark/Sweat Lodge in Arlington. Then there are the team colors. The Giants are all decked out in Halloween black and orange ??? the only holiday devoted to evil spirits. What are the Rangers' colors? Let's say 'em together. Red, white and blue. It's obvious who should win this thing. Bring on the Giant killers.

lol.

he does have a point though: " save baseball's highest achievement for a bunch of Regular Joes who earned it."

amen.

GO GIANTS!

Rockadelic said:
    Just hyperbolic BS.

I've been to a Giants game in SF at the old Candlestick.....got to go in the Locker Room.....sat in the owners seats...even caught a foul ball....and I have to say they have some of the best, hard core fans anywhere.

Funny thing is after I caught the foul ball I leaned over to the guy sitting in front of me, Rob Schnieder, and asked him to sign it to my daughters. He looked at me like I was crazy and I explained that if I just brought the ball home my kids wouldn't be impressed, but they would be if he had signed it. It was at the same time his "Men Behaving badly" show was running and he signed it "Behave badly". I recently told my daughter that if she ever met him and mentioned this he would definitely remember because what outher lunatic would ask him to sign a baseball.

I like the current Giants team....hard playing guys who deserve to be there. I'm thinking it will be a good series but think the Rangers offense and speed will prevail.

How dare you be magnanimous and sportsman-like. A**hole.

mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Just hyperbolic BS.

How dare you be magnanimous and sportsman-like. A**hole.

No dude....A-Hole plays 3rd base for the Yankees.

And check out this article from today's Fort Worth paper.....I have no problem losing to a guy like Cody Ross.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/26/2579187/a-longtime-rangers-fan-finds-himself.html

No Soulstrut quotes here but NYT profiles Le Beard: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/sports/baseball/28wilson.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

"what gives Wilson more depth and makes him more intriguing is his manner inside the Giants clubhouse. There he makes extraordinary efforts to fit in, and to draw in others. Notably, he is a regular at the Latino-dominated dominoes table in the locker room."

Obligatory :dominoes:

Rare footage of Cliff Lee's father pitching for the Hoboken Zephyrs.

Cliff Lee just got rocked out the park. Incredible shit.

• Options
    mannybolone said:
    Cliff Lee just got rocked out the park. Incredible shit.

Maybe an 8 day layoff is not a good thing.