Rev. Wright's Speech

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I have stated before that this whole Wright thing has had ZERO effect on my views of Obama or what kind of President he'd make, BUT just in the interest of keeping everyone honest on here: you make the same flawed analogy Obama did 6 weeks ago with regards to his grandma: pastors you choose; family members you don't. big difference.

now back to the war, the economy, our education system, etc...

I was replying (I have no idea why) to Dolo. I'll admit: Barack Obama chose his pastor poorly. But I don't think that an error in judgement in one's personal life necessarily has to do with one's business ascccociates. Rezko - now that's a more serious affiliation.

RC, I'm at least glad that you're actually arguing from things you believe in. The flat, cold debater's points in this political season drive me NUTS.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'll admit: Barack Obama chose his pastor poorly.

huh?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I can't even be bothered to read this thread and how lame it's gone on for 7 pages. What a Frickin' zero issue. Obama is up for election, not Wright. Wright obviously wants the limelight and has absolutely no consideration about how his behavior will affect Obama's chances. Fair play for him, but I don't blame Obama one bit for distancing himself from this dude.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

huh?

yeah, fuck all that. id go to wrights church.
    bigO just made a mistake usinghim as a campaign prop

wright= loose fuckin cannon

which is one of the best things a pastor can be

I can't even be bothered to read this thread and how lame it's gone on for 7 pages. What a Frickin' zero issue. Obama is up for election, not Wright. Wright obviously wants the limelight and has absolutely no consideration about how his behavior will affect Obama's chances. Fair play for him, but I don't blame Obama one bit for distancing himself from this dude.

How did he want the limelight. Was his OG speech broadcasted when it was first delivered?

And should he not respond to the media's demonization?

huh?

Whe did Obama prop this dude up? Didnt the media pluck that OG speech out of thin air to fuck w/ Obama?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

huh?

I meant that in retrospect, Barack Obama chose his pastor poorly when it came to political fallout issues. But it speaks more to the fact that Obama IS different and not some slick pol who set all his ducks in a row before running for office. He was genuinely n??ive to assume that his pastor would be, at this moment, the only talking point on Obama's media plate (that, and motherfucking flag pins). I don't think that anyone could have forseen the day in which a politician would be forced by his run for office to disown his own pastor.

Believe me - Barack Obama did not "use" Wright in this campaign at all. The media used Wright, Obama gave him an eloquent pass, and then Wright used Obama, that's for sure.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

One reason the thread has gone on for 7 pages is because people keep showing up and repeating things that have already been said.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

It's very disturbing to me how many people feel the Rev. should have just kept his mouth closed and not defend his church and beliefs.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

It's very disturbing to me how many people feel the Rev. should have just
    kept his mouth closed and not defend his church and beliefs.

Co-sign. He was and still is getting slandered from all sides,
    and has every right and reason to defend himself. Alot of people
    around here seem to be parroting the 11 o'clock news version of
    events, if only to defend Obama. But what happened to Wright is foul.

It's very disturbing to me how many people feel the Rev. should have just kept his mouth closed and not defend his church and beliefs.

Exactly. Shit smells like race to me.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I think he should have 'kept quiet' to aid his friend in getting elected. Sad to some, but a good idea in the long run. Stakes is high.

I think he should have 'kept quiet' to aid his friend in getting elected. Sad to some, but a good idea in the long run. Stakes is high.

Jesus > The President

Believe me - Barack Obama did not "use" Wright in this campaign at all. The media used Wright, Obama gave him an eloquent pass, and then Wright used Obama, that's for sure.

yeah yous right

i guess o never evenmentioned him befor the media put him out ther
    like someone was saying the other day, he had to expect the association to ge put out there, so he should have outflanked that shit.

Jesus > The President

he coulda done something more (cough) political
    i dont understand how the two couldnt sit down together, throw back a beer and figure out how they could spin it to both their advantage.

Jesus > The President

he coulda done something more (cough) political
    i dont understand how the two couldnt sit down together, throw back a beer and figure out how they could spin it to both their advantage.

Were u offended by the OG speech?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Jesus > The President

Was anyone attacking his church? Everything I saw focused on his comments and personal beliefs. I don't think he said or did anything controversial, he spoke the truth and most people in this country aren't ready to hear it (obviously).
    That said, there's a time and place for everything. I don't know if he felt like it was a now or never opportunity to get his message out, or his ego took over. Any way it goes, saying things like "Obama said what he had to say" goes beyond defending yourself and becomes shitting on your friend.

The President > pride and vanity

no.why would i be offended? were you? if i had to attend any church, i would want it to be a thought provoking pastor who inspired me and angered me and got me worked up

dude is a preacher. preachers get vocal, exaggerate, provoke thoughts/reactions/self evaluation,hoop and holler...thats what they are supposed to do.
    o is a politician. he is supposed to represent people. that means you compromise the needs of special interest to fit into the majority needs that you are representing. presidents have to do a hell of a lot of compromising if they want to represent everybody.

i think as soon as race became any kind of potential issue, which revs snippets made it almost immediately, o and rev needed to walk with extreme caution and communication as to what damages and repercussions might be. shit is chess on a world stage with huge outcomes.
    im not a pundit so i cant offer what either should have done to minimize or dissolve the issue.

saying things like "Obama said what he had to say" goes beyond defending yourself and becomes shitting on your friend.

exactly. that should not have happened unless he meant it to be some sabotage

That said, there's a time and place for everything. I don't know if he felt like it was a now or never opportunity to get his message out, or his ego took over. Any way it goes, saying things like "Obama said what he had to say" goes beyond defending yourself and becomes shitting on your friend.

The President > pride and vanity

I dont feel Wright should have to censor his game after being used as a pawn to confuse the American public.

he can do whatever he damn well pleases (which it seems like he did)

him and o should have got on the same fuckin page first. if they were best friends and shit, why the fuck didnt they play this whole mess out better?

it didnt have to be like this. i dont even think o would of had to distance himself from the man.

why the fuck didnt they play this whole mess out better?

Play out a smear campaign better?

think like the enemy
    anticipate the moves
    weigh the outcomes
    act with deliberation

yeah, play the fuckin game. if they were on the same page before this shit hit, they should have tried to work it out better. seems like they had barely talked in months. now you get wright on two podiums a day doing impersonations of obama and saying he barely even attends church

think like the enemy
    anticipate the moves
    weigh the outcomes
    act with deliberation

yeah, play the fuckin game.

Same ole Politricks that Obama wants to transcend.

think like the enemy
    anticipate the moves
    weigh the outcomes
    act with deliberation

wrong.

you want a leader who doesnt think ahead and put himself in other people shoes??
    obama wants to transcend petty infighting
    dope.
    doesnt mean he doesnt have to learn how to handle people baiting him and getting him to engage in it.he is going to have to deliberate much more than others to walk his noble walk.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    think like the enemy
    anticipate the moves
    weigh the outcomes
    act with deliberation

You're being a bit of a romantic. I feel you but this shit matters way too much to talk in absolutes. You didn't vote Nader by any chance?

think like the enemy
    anticipate the moves
    weigh the outcomes
    act with deliberation

wrong.

you want a leader who doesnt think ahead and put himself in other people shoes??
    obama wants to transcend petty infighting
    dope.
    doesnt mean he doesnt have to learn how to handle people baiting him and getting him to engage in it.he is going to have to deliberate much more than others to walk his noble walk.

so you are agreeing with me then?

people are going to come at him...and he needs to be ready for that and have deliberate reactions ready. no time for any more stumbling into misunderstandings. politicians have to play the media lens or it will play them

so you are agreeing with me then?

people are going to come at him...and he needs to be ready for that and have deliberate reactions ready. no time for any more stumbling into misunderstandings. politicians have to play the media lens or it will play them

think like the enemy
    anticipate the moves
    weigh the outcomes
    act with deliberation

yeah,thing is, marvin wasnt running for president
    dont want to blend in? then run just to prove a point, voice your issues, get your name out there.

obama has to run cautious and calculated if he wants to get in there, which he has a chance at.

politicians have to play politically...no two ways about it. doesnt mean they have to play dirty. not sure if you see the difference

im not sure if we are arguing, or agreeing so i guess its time for me to sign off.