The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• I think a McNulty suicide would be a lame way to end it. I know he's been at rock bottom, but that doesn't mean suicide. It seems like such an easy answer and such a dramatic tv ending. If they do a suicide in the finale then it will be so rushed, unless the finale stretches over a month in it's time frame. I think McNulty would go on a month long drinking binge before hitting shit rock bottom and killing himself. I don't expect him to lose his job and instantly think he needs to kill himself over it.

I'd prefer to see him fired and happy about it. Like he's free from his burden. Maybe Beadie will pick up the pieces and stick with him.

Maybe they'll do a montage at the end and foreshadow a suicide in the future. I don't know. I am leaning against that because it seems like such an easy way to tie a ribbon on the show.

• an easy way to tie a ribbon on the show.

No pun intended?

• I'd prefer to see him fired and happy about it.

of all of the out-of-character, off-the-wall, shortened-season BS plot developments that we've identified over the last 9 weeks, this would be the most egregious. if there's one thing we can say definitively about any of these characters is that McNulty is lost without police work.

montage at the end

as much as I hate to see the Wire go, I am geeked for the final montage. I expect something truly memorable.

• SERIAL KILLER BUSINESS GETS PINNED ON SCOTT TEMPLETON
    DANIELS AND RAWLS KNOW THAT MCNUTTY MADE THAT SHIT UP BUT CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT BECAUSE THEIR JOBS DEPEND ON A DROP IN CRIME
    LEVY TRIES TO BRING THAT ILLEGAL WIRETAP SHIT UP BUT IT IS ALREADY COVERED UP BY THE COPS AND/OR FREAMON BRINGS SOME CLAY DAVIS DELIVERED DIRT ON LEVY AND HE BACKS OFF

BIG QUESTION IS, WHO IS THE COURTHOUSE SNITCH?

I'm liking Phelan for that.
    that does conform with the whole full circle effect they've been pushing

And he has shown himself to be a little lax with the chain of command. This is something else entirely, but it seems to be the spike that the suggestion sets up for.

• as much as I hate to see the Wire go, I am geeked for the final montage. I expect something truly memorable.

So dudes, what are the bets for the soundtrack for the final montage? I'm really stumped for an appropriate tune.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

montage at the end

as much as I hate to see the Wire go, I am geeked for the final montage. I expect something truly memorable.
    LET'S TAKE BETS ON WHAT THE FINAL MONTAGE SONG WILL BE

• Souljah Boy.

• if there's one thing we can say definitively about any of these characters is that McNulty is lost without police work.

true, but it's also his vice. It ends up ruining him. I'm not saying he'd be happy long term, but seeing him happy back in the Western was one of my favorite moments in the whole show. I laughed out loud as he was walking the beat with that dumb grin on his face. I think he might feel some relief. You are right though, he'd probably get a jones and end up doing police work on his own, without being an actual employee.

We'll have to wait and see.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    mcnutty private detective spinoff would be so real

• mcnutty private detective spinoff would be so real

pelacanos would be all over that.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Before this show ends, I'd like to see one more drunken rampage by McNulty, leading to the blapping of some bar skank.

• Before this show ends, I'd like to see one more drunken rampage by McNulty, leading to the blapping of some bar skank.

easy man. plenty of time for that in the spinoff.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Before this show ends, I'd like to see one more drunken rampage by McNulty, leading to the blapping of some bar skank.

easy man. plenty of time for that in the spinoff.
    MCNUTTY IS HIRED BY AN ANGRY HUSBAND WHO SUSPECTS HIS WIFE OF CHEATING. MCNUTTY TRAILS HER FOR DAYS AND SEES HER STOP BY A BAR. GAME OVER.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    McNutty gets bribed and shook down by another private detective who's on the job to find out who his client's wife is sleeping with, turns out it's McNulty. He then calls in a favor to Bunk and the Lab guy who pin a murder on the husband. Game over.

• Before this show ends, I'd like to see one more drunken rampage by McNulty, leading to the blapping of some bar skank.

Maybe he picks up an STD, which slowly and tragically kills him over a number of years.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Maybe he picks up an STD, which slowly and tragically kills him over a number of years.

The Wire should rip off the epilogue steez from Six Feet Under and show what happens to everyone in the future.

• I should add that Bowden dissects that "realistic vs. real" thing as well in that Atlantic Monthly piece from a few months. A good read for those who haven't gotten to it yet: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200801/bowden-wire

The Stoop storytelling series monologue mentioned in that article is available online:

Stoop Storytelling Series episode 19: My Nemisis

Man, I was searching that page over and over like "Snoop? Where the f*** is Snoop?!"

Then I saw STOOP.

Damn.

Listening to Simon on The Stoop is the veritable embodiment of

• Listening to Simon on The Stoop is the veritable embodiment of

I mean isn't that whole series about whining about past drudges? more like

He sounds McNutty.

I mean, part of me has to appreciate how he's airing how his past beef this way - it's some ultimate "revenge of the nerds" shit. But his need to air this out has really undermined the season.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

He is most definitely a mad doggie, but I think he's playing it up a little to tell a story as well. I worked with a guy who is a lot like Simon, he did brilliant work but he was almost always doing something to screw things up by fighting the system or the man or whatever else floated into his sphere of ire. He once almost climbed out of the window of my car to yell at a guy who threw a lit cigarette out onto the street from his car.

I mean, part of me has to appreciate how he's airing how his past beef this way - it's some ultimate "revenge of the nerds" shit. But his need to air this out has really undermined the season.

I'm saying. I sensed very early on in this season (and this very soulstrut thread) that Simon was letting his own grudges/obsessions command the direction of the season. It's sad and I will always wonder what the last season could've been absent dude's waaaaabulence behavior.

YES the season has somewhat redeemed itself and YES it's still great TV and YES we have spend 20 pages justifying a lot of these plot developments on some old "okay, but it's not that bad...." but really, really? I mean everyone in this thread needs to listen to this Stoop thing.

I remember reading an inerview with Simon going into Season 4 acknowledging that lots of fans had been disappointed with Stringer's death. Simon's explanation was basically that Stringer's character arc was complete and to carry on any further would have been to "serve the character rather than serve the plot/story" or something.

Well, Simon, you just spent a season serving yourself rather than the Wire story.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Well, Simon, you just spent a season serving yourself.

• The Wire should rip off the epilogue steez from Six Feet Under and show what happens to everyone in the future.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I was wondering what the montage would be like. Even though the Six Feet Under finale had some creepy/cheesy wig old people styles it was very satisfying to see a definitve end to all of the stories. I would not be mad at a The Wire time laps over 20 years.

The Wire should rip off the epilogue steez from Six Feet Under and show what happens to everyone in the future.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I was wondering what the montage would be like. Even though the Six Feet Under finale had some creepy/cheesy wig old people styles it was very satisfying to see a definitve end to all of the stories. I would not be mad at a The Wire time laps over 20 years.

Yeah but it's not going to happen. "life goes on" is how every season ends but no flash forwards. This ain't Lost.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Well, it looks like we'll all have to wait until March 9th to find out:

On-Demand Fans of "The Wire" Will Have to Wait for Finale

The 90-minute finale of HBO's The Wire won't be available in advance of the March 9 cable channel premiere date, a spokesman for HBO said.

Unlike the way in which the previous nine episodes this season could be seen On Demand starting the Monday before each Sunday airdate, viewers will have to wait to until 9 p.m. March 9 to see how it all ends with the Baltimore-based drama after five seasons.

HBO says the move is being made so that On Demand viewers don't "spoil" the pleasure of those fans who plan to wait until the Sunday-night HBO cablecast.

And you have to admit there was no shortage of On Demand fans -- folks who are quick to pledge their undying love of the series and sense of community with other viewers -- who went online after the death of a certain larger than life villain in episode 8 and blabbed it all over the place.

• montage at the end

LET'S TAKE BETS ON WHAT THE FINAL MONTAGE SONG WILL BE

"Baltimore" by Randy Newman (God I hope not)

• It'll be "Baltimore" by Nina Simone.

• It'll be "Baltimore" by Nina Simone.

That's the song I would choose.

However, someone had mentioned The Pogues "waltzing matilda", that may be appropriate as well..