The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• the scene with Michael and Dukie talking in the car and Michael can't remember buying the ice cream.

Touching as a parting scene but that dialogue was just maudlin.

agree. and i didnt really get why mike chooses to sever ties with dookie
    if marlo want to get at mike, he can find duquan and repeat what they did to butchie (which ended up working out for them)

• What an amazing show. I don't want it to end.

• What an amazing show. I don't want it to end.

yep. there's too much to tie up in the last episode. at one point, i thought Avon would show his face, but it doesn't look like it. no parole i guess.

• Does Black step to every motherfucker in order to uphold his rep??

Did anyone catch who he was scuffling with??

I mean, let us not forget the only time we've seen Marlo go in like that is when he smoked that one girl on her front lawn. Everything else, it's been Chris or Snoop.

"MY NAME IS IN THE STREET??"

Predictions:

My gut says that Chris goes down behind Bunk's case, aka the one they can actually prosecute. Everyone else walks.... unless Daniels pulls some shady schitt. Marla's "a tree that doesn't bend, breaks" line seems important.

Marlo dies. We do not see Michael again.

McNulty either kills himself or finds peace outside of the Department.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    the scene with Michael and Dukie talking in the car and Michael can't remember buying the ice cream.

This scene f*cked me up, along with Bub's monologue. In the back of my mind I was hoping Michael and Dukie would just hang together and pick up Randy up at the group home and go on a road trip, like some Harold and Kumar-type shit. But alas, that would never happen in Dave Simon's world.

I'm glad the "good" guys won for a change, catching Marlo and crew in a $16M drug deal. I hope the Greeks go down in the end too, but doubt it. Hopefully, the arrests aren't too sullied by McNulty's dirty deeds. Speaking of which, I understand Kima's disgust at him, but actually ratting him out? Don't know if I can ride with that. Remember, Kima and Mcnulty used to be road dawgs, covering up for each other when they were ho-ing around.

Touching scene with Namond, breaking down the AIDS crisis in Africa. Glad he's doing well, but to me, he was always the "least" deserving of the kids to get out of the hood life (seeing that he was kinda of a chicken-shit brat from the beginning and given his legacy as WeeBay's kid). Hoping at least Dukie or Randy would catch a break too, but that's seems unlikely, even with Prez stepping in at the end.

Had mixed feelings about the jail scene with Marlo, Chris, and Monk. It's strange that Marlo was oblivious that Omar was calling him out in the streets. After all, Omar capped a bunch of Marlo's guys and shut down his dope houses. Are we to believe that Chris intentionally concealed this from Marlo? But it was good to see Marlo show some rage. Dude is facing a 20-plus year bid and still pissy that Omar called him out.

Loved the scene with Freamon and Clay Davis. Davis breaking down how he and the white collar community (e.g., lawyers) shake down gangsters was awesome. And asking Freamon to cover a round of drinks was priceless! Hope attorney Faux Rillz Levi gets it at the end, but again doubt it, dude is too slippery.

Oh yeah the scene with Freamon celebrating, talking about getting ass?

• In the back of my mind I was hoping Michael and Dukie would just hang together and pick up Randy up at the group home and go on a road trip

Let's not forget Prop Joe's words to Old Face Andre: "why every Baltimore n***a think leaving town means crossing downtown?"

I don't know if Michael even thinks he can leave - see his shock even being out in the county dropping Bug off to his aunt.

Moreover, the scene with Dukie was proving the point - Michael can't care. About anyone. He might want to, but he cannot.

I'm glad the "good" guys won for a change, catching Marlo and crew in a $16M drug deal. I hope the Greeks go down in the end too, but doubt it. Hopefully, the arrests aren't too sullied by McNulty's dirty deeds.

I wouldn't speak too soon...

to me, he was always the "least" deserving of the kids to get out of the hood life (seeing that he was kinda of a chicken-shit brat from the beginning and given his legacy as WeeBay's kid).

He was the only one to really ask for help, though - Dukie refused Prezbo's offer after he left Tilghman and Michael shrugged off everyone from Cutty to Chris to Bunk. It might say something about Namond's upbringing which, even though troubled, had authority figures in it... whereas Michael and Dukie did not.

It's strange that Marlo was oblivious that Omar was calling him out in the streets. After all, Omar capped a bunch of Marlo's guys and shut down his dope houses. Are we to believe that Chris intentionally concealed this from Marlo? But it was good to see Marlo show some rage. Dude is facing a 20-plus year bid and still pissy that Omar called him out.

He knew about the killings and stick-ups, just didn't know about Omar calling him out of his name. Chris kept that from him because, in his words, Marlo "don't need to worry about shit like that."

Loved the scene with Freamon and Clay Davis.

Davis: "Man, you ain't nothing but a shakedown artist."

Then he gives Freamon a look like, "yes, I know what I just said."

Great scene.

If only to tell us that he's still with Shardene, which I had wondered.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

This scene f*cked me up, along with Bub's monologue. In the back of my mind I was hoping Michael and Dukie would just hang together and pick up Randy up at the group home and go on a road trip, like some Harold and Kumar-type shit. But alas, that would never happen in Dave Simon's world.

Or in any world. I find this season lame enough already behind this fake-serial-killer storyline without needing some "riding off into the sunset" feel good ending.

I'm glad the "good" guys won for a change, catching Marlo and crew in a $16M drug deal. I hope the Greeks go down in the end too, but doubt it. Hopefully, the arrests aren't too sullied by McNulty's dirty deeds. Speaking of which, I understand Kima's disgust at him, but actually ratting him out? Don't know if I can ride with that. Remember, Kima and Mcnulty used to be road dawgs, covering up for each other when they were ho-ing around.

Yeah - this is another one of the things about this season that makes no sense to me. Freamon and McNulty's hoax is just beyond the pale of rationality for me - it just seems wholly out of character - as is Kima snitching them out. Yeah, we know, she's the straight shooter but not wanting to point the finger at Bird in S1 despite Bunk's "assistance" is one thing. Turning in her mentors? Really? Over some bullshit? I can't see it in terms of how her character has been developed up to here. It makes more sense that some disgruntled dude drops a dime but what's Kima got to beef about really?

And Marlo is almost certain to get out because of this. That whole case is practically dead in the water - I can't see Daniels bending the rules to get around all the illegal shit that went into that case. Plus, if you've seen the previews for next week. Well...

Can I just add something? Has Cheese added much of anything to this show, save for the comic relief involving the whole "my dog" episode? Maybe it's Meth's acting (which doesn't help) but I kind of wish Mouzon had capped him instead of winging him back in S3. Dude takes up way more space than he deserves.

Touching scene with Namond, breaking down the AIDS crisis in Africa. Glad he's doing well, but to me, he was always the "least" deserving of the kids to get out of the hood life

That's David Simon: "deserve" doesn't mean anything in his world.

Good to know he's still with Charlene.

• Moreover, the scene with Dukie was proving the point - Michael can't care. About anyone. He might want to, but he cannot.

What about his selfless devotion to his little brother?

• If only to tell us that he's still with Shardene, which I had wondered.

Was she the stripper from Season 1 that D'Angelo was messing with?

• The Selfless Devotion where he barely saw Bug? Where Dukie formed a stronger bond with him because Michael was never around? Where Michael could barely hug the kid while sending him away (possibly) forever? I thought that scene was real telling. Dukie had more to say to Bug than Michael did.

I'm not saying Michael didn't care or try to protect Bug - but clearly there are some attachment issues.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Loved the scene with Freamon and Clay Davis.

Davis: "Man, you ain't nothing but a shakedown artist."

Then he gives Freamon a look like, "yes, I know what I just said."

Great scene.

That scene really has me bugging out, I loved the callback to Stringer Bell getting rainmade. For me the big huge question is who is Levy's inside man in the courthouse??? My first guess is Marla Daniels based upon the preview, I'm not 100% sure what her job was before she took Eunetta's seat but it seemed like she was involved with legal ish. Judge Phelan is not above my suspicion, however.

When Lester's happy, I'm happy, although it might be his last happy moment for a while if their case falls apart.

• If only to tell us that he's still with Shardene, which I had wondered.

Yep

She shacked up with Freamon later in the season.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Yeah

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    You can be mad at so many things, but what I love is exactly what we're talking about here, the subtlety, the rewards for paying attention, and the not heavy handed displays of how everything that has gone into the last 4 seasons has to do with the Baltimore of the 5th. It's genius writing. It's also very realistic. Under pressure, people do fucked up things, that I understand. However most shows would pull up short on showing how the everyday aspect of things, the unconsidered actions affect the whole in a major way.

• It was brought up earlier in the thread, but when Dozerman is scratching tics instead of snapping flicks... I wonder if that comes into play.

He missed a few cars/people while scratching hisself

• The Selfless Devotion where he barely saw Bug? Where Dukie formed a stronger bond with him because Michael was never around? Where Michael could barely hug the kid while sending him away (possibly) forever? I thought that scene was real telling. Dukie had more to say to Bug than Michael did.

I'm not saying Michael didn't care or try to protect Bug - but clearly there are some attachment issues.

I disagree completely. While Michael maintains a level of hardness (years in development) at all times, Michael's motivations have always been about providing a better life for Bug.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Yep

She shacked up with Freamon later in the season.

damn, I don't even remember them hooking up like that. That chick was

No wonder he's bow-legged.

It was brought up earlier in the thread, but when Dozerman is scratching tics instead of snapping flicks... I wonder if that comes into play.

Would it even matter once it comes out that the only reason they were on the warehouse was because of the illegal tap?

I disagree completely. While Michael maintains a level of hardness (years in development) at all times, Michael's movivations have always been about providing a better life for Bug.

Sure - but in the process, he distances himself. You see it throughout the season - almost every scene with Bug is with Duquan. Michael's motivations are clear, and just; but in providing a better life for Bug the bond suffers. It's just an extension of what happens with anyone else he's close with. From jump, Michael has always been a loner. In 59, we see exactly how alone he really is.

• For me the big huge question is who is Levy's inside man in the courthouse??? My first guess is Marla Daniels based upon the preview, I'm not 100% sure what her job was before she took Eunetta's seat but it seemed like she was involved with legal ish. Judge Phelan is not above my suspicion, however.

that's a good one. I was thinking Bond.

For me the big huge question is who is Levy's inside man in the courthouse??? My first guess is Marla Daniels based upon the preview, I'm not 100% sure what her job was before she took Eunetta's seat but it seemed like she was involved with legal ish. Judge Phelan is not above my suspicion, however.

Phelan was my first impression too. It'd take the whole thing full circle, you wouldn't be "expecting it" and it would probably allow for McNulty to get one last scowl in.

I don't see Eunetta as being the mole in this case.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

For me the big huge question is who is Levy's inside man in the courthouse??? My first guess is Marla Daniels based upon the preview, I'm not 100% sure what her job was before she took Eunetta's seat but it seemed like she was involved with legal ish. Judge Phelan is not above my suspicion, however.

that's a good one.

damn, that would be good. *****stars.

• It was brought up earlier in the thread, but when Dozerman is scratching tics instead of snapping flicks... I wonder if that comes into play.

Would it even matter once it comes out that the only reason they were on the warehouse was because of the illegal tap?

exactly. i think the exclusionary rule would/will bar all evidence that was obtained as a result of the illegal tap.

also, based on the previews, it looks like Marlo goes home. As Levy told him in jail, he didn't qualify for bail. therefore - i'd guess that the whole bust is a wash but Chris stays in prison because of the murder.

• I just rewatched the preview for 60 a few times. Here are some things I noticed.

a copycat killer...a ribbon of some sort is tied onto the wrist of a body. Bunk says "I told you it was going to come to this and now we're all getting burned."

Duqwan has the junky face, like bubs, the dirty kind of scabby look, but is it just dirt from rolling with the junk man? He lived with a junky family before and was never a junky, but he was also younger. I will be sad if he ends up going downhill.

Carcetti says something like "if word of this gets to Annapolis" which leads me to think that they are going to try to sweep it under the rug as best they can. They are flying high on a 16 million dollar drug bust, so i am sure they don't want a phony serial murder to get out. I'm thinking that they are going to try to have them cover it up which might even lead to McNulty getting a quiet, yet dishonorable amongst his people, discharge.

Marlo rolls up in a suit, to what looks like a different area of town. A white t-shirt wearing dude attempts to shoot him, but the shot goes high and Marlo throws a punch. The t-shirt and the haircut could be anybody, but if you look close it looks like Michael to me.

It should be an exciting end. I really enjoyed 59. The one thing that is really shocking/touching/interesting is the peace that people feel when they know they have no way out. I'm mainly talking about Prop joe and Snoop's deaths. Snoop especially. I'd probably be begging for my life, but it's like they know that it would come some day.

• also, based on the previews, it looks like Marlo goes home. As Levy told him in jail, he didn't qualify for bail. therefore - i'd guess that the whole bust is a wash but Chris stays in prison because of the murder.

Yep, looks like it.

But hey - the City of Baltimore gets to keep all the heroin and machine guns!

Suddenly, and at the last minute, lawyer Levy becomes a major part of the whole chess game. Seems like it could go either way for him, so it's got me excited about the finale. Consider Herc and Levy. The easy read is that Herc ratted out the police's illegal wiretap to Levy because Herc is a selfish dumbass who acts without considering the ramifications of his actions.

consider Levy though: perhaps he wanted Herc to see him file Marlo's number, knowing that Herc would provide it to a cop. Levy stands to gain from Marlo & crew going to trial? and Levy knowing that he will be able to squash any case based on ill-gotten evidence?

also, based on the previews, it looks like Marlo goes home. As Levy told him in jail, he didn't qualify for bail. therefore - i'd guess that the whole bust is a wash but Chris stays in prison because of the murder.

Yep, looks like it.

But hey - the City of Baltimore gets to keep all the heroin and machine guns!

Suddenly, and at the last minute, lawyer Levy becomes a major part of the whole chess game. Seems like it could go either way for him, so it's got me excited about the finale. Consider Herc and Levy. The easy read is that Herc ratted out the police's illegal wiretap to Levy because Herc is a selfish dumbass who acts without considering the ramifications of his actions.

consider Levy though: perhaps he wanted Herc to see him file Marlo's number, knowing that Herc would provide it to a cop. Levy stands to gain from Marlo & crew going to trial? and Levy knowing that he will be able to squash any case based on ill-gotten evidence?

Maybe but again - this is all moot given that McNulty/Freamon's shit is out the bag. Levy doesn't need to do shit practically.

The theory I like, suggested by a friend: Scott's lie ends up being what everyone focuses on, letting McNulty's lie slip off the hook

• a copycat killer...a ribbon of some sort is tied onto the wrist of a body. Bunk says "I told you it was going to come to this and now we're all getting burned."

This is even worse than the faked killings: they effectively inspired somebody to actually commit murder. Very Simon-esque plotline, of course, talking about the power of the media. I think this is the straw that breaks McNulty's back.

Carcetti says something like "if word of this gets to Annapolis" which leads me to think that they are going to try to sweep it under the rug as best they can. They are flying high on a 16 million dollar drug bust, so i am sure they don't want a phony serial murder to get out. I'm thinking that they are going to try to have them cover it up which might even lead to McNulty getting a quiet, yet dishonorable amongst his people, discharge.

I think the brief presence of Bunny was a foreshadowing of how this next scandal plays out. There's not really any other reason to bring him in. Carcetti said to him, "there wasn't anything anyone could have done with that" (re: legalization of drugs). I think this means that Carcetti is on the way out. It's already been shown that there are new contenders for Mayor, he's been spreading himself way too thin between education and crime, and has put a lot of focus on the (now debunked) homeless killings.

In the same preview, Carcetti is asking his staff to "drop on your swords"... I don't think they will, and Carcetti will be effectively ousted.

Marlo rolls up in a suit, to what looks like a different area of town. A white t-shirt wearing dude attempts to shoot him, but the shot goes high and Marlo throws a punch. The t-shirt and the haircut could be anybody, but if you look close it looks like Michael to me.

This would make sense, maybe... Michael dropping Bug off and saying goodbye to Dukie had a real dark aura to it, even more so than just because he killed Snoop.

But it's also probable that greedy Mayor McCheese and Slim Charles take the opportunity to seize power... the preview shows Cheese offing another co-op member.

It should be an exciting end. I really enjoyed 59. The one thing that is really shocking/touching/interesting is the peace that people feel when they know they have no way out. I'm mainly talking about Prop joe and Snoop's deaths. Snoop especially. I'd probably be begging for my life, but it's like they know that it would come some day.

I found Snoop's killing to be affecting because it's one of the only times she's been at all girlie.

• The theory I like, suggested by a friend: Scott's lie ends up being what everyone focuses on, letting McNulty's lie slip off the hook

I like. It would be crazy dark if Scott takes the heat for the fake story, but McNulty ends up in a depression.

I think the brief presence of Bunny was a foreshadowing of how this next scandal plays out. There's not really any other reason to bring him in.

Well - everyone is getting their turn. There doesn't have to be a larger logic besides tying up character threads: look at everyone we've seen already: dock dude, Bunny, Cutty, Poot, etc. None of these things have to "mean" anything in terms of the story arcs.

But it's also probable that greedy Mayor McCheese and Slim Charles take the opportunity to seize power... the preview shows Cheese offing another co-op member.

Shows him TRYING to off a member. I think Cheese is going to fall.

• I think the brief presence of Bunny was a foreshadowing of how this next scandal plays out. There's not really any other reason to bring him in. Carcetti said to him, "there wasn't anything anyone could have done with that" (re: legalization of drugs). I think this means that Carcetti is on the way out.

I didn't quite look at this the same way - I thought it was more of a moral lesson from Simon, saying that if you can't reform drugs from the inside (Bell) or from the outside (Colvin) then there's truly, "Nothing to be done". That phrase is a refrain from Waiting For Godot, a sort of throwing up of the hands. All we can do, according to Simon, is try to raise these kids - which, in this scene, is the clear solution provided. Namond is taken off the corner not through policework or jail time, but through parenting.