The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• "Baltimore" by the Tamlins (God I hope so)

• Considering that the only Jamaican in the entire series was the guy who got robbed in the Omar Prequel, I doubt it.

That cover by the Tamlins has its genesis in Jamaicans' affinity for Nina Simone, not any connection with the city of Baltimore itself.

• LATE PASS: Steve Earle aka Wheylon recorded this season's version of the Waits theme song?

maybe they could have him cover "Baltimore." now that would suck.

• Considering that the only Jamaican in the entire series was the guy who got robbed in the Omar Prequel, I doubt it.

That cover by the Tamlins has its genesis in Jamaicans' affinity for Nina Simone, not any connection with the city of Baltimore itself.

I know, I just like that song and would be pleasantly surprise to hear it. Generally speaking, I think that using a song called "Baltimore" with maudlin lyrics about how wretched the city is would be way too cornball for "The Wire" and I don't expect it to happen.

• way too cornball for "The Wire" and I don't expect it to happen.

DONT THINK IT CANT HAPPEN.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    LATE PASS: Steve Earle aka Wheylon recorded this season's version of the Waits theme song?

Not that I disagree with you, but they've already used a Steve Earle song in a closing montage (I Feel Alright used in season 2). I don't know if they'd repeat an artist.

• LATE PASS: Steve Earle aka Wheylon recorded this season's version of the Waits theme song?

the steve earle version is my favorite rendition of the theme song... the backing beat is bangin and pretty neat to see someone do something so unlike what they usually do (most of his stuff is pretty much straight up country. and it's even cooler because i just realized waylon was steve earle (waylon is an excellent character IMO). also, i think the montage in season 2 was steve earle?

• I prefer the Tamlins' version too... just wouldn't be relevant.

I think that selecting "Baltimore" for the final montage would be appropriate - it is, after all, the finale. The song touches on the port, the drugs, the poverty, and while the lyrics are a bit maudlin so is the show.

the steve earle version is my favorite rendition of the theme song... the backing beat is bangin and pretty neat to see someone do something so unlike what they usually do (most of his stuff is pretty much straight up country. and it's even cooler because i just realized waylon was steve earle (waylon is an excellent character IMO). also, i think the montage in season 2 was steve earle?

wow I couldn't disagree with you more. I think (a) it's far and away the worst version of the 5 seasons and (b) the Waylon character sucks.

this is purely a matter of taste so I'm not talking schitt; you're just the first person I've encountered that really likes this season's version.

I like, in order, DoMaJe, Waits, the Nevilles, the first season one, and then Earle.

• the Waylon character sucks.

Are you serious??

One of the best characters in the show. And, if you've ever known an addict or recovered one... he f*cking NAILS that shit.

Are you serious??

One of the best characters in the show. And, if you've ever known an addict or recovered one... he f*cking NAILS that shit.

Earle is an ex-addict, he is basically just playing himself (except without the music career).

Are you serious??

dude I stated in this very thread about 10 pages up that he "nails every scene." (read up on your read ups!) He plays a great recovering addict (yes Jonny I *actually* know some!). I just can't stand him on screen. He creeps me out. Hatt me.

• I found this great David Simon quote on IMDB:

Discussing whether he hopes "The Wire" will cause reforms of the institutions portrayed in the series: "I'll tell you what, this would be enough for me: The next time the drug czar or Ashcroft or any of these guys stands up and declares, 'With a little fine-tuning, with a few more prison cells, and a few more lawyers, a few more cops, a little better armament, and another omnibus crime bill that adds 15 more death-penalty statutes, we can win the war on drugs' -- if a slightly larger percentage of the American population looks at him and goes, 'You are so full of shit' ... that would be gratifying."

• The Wire should rip off the epilogue steez from Six Feet Under and show what happens to everyone in the future.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I was wondering what the montage would be like. Even though the Six Feet Under finale had some creepy/cheesy wig old people styles it was very satisfying to see a definitve end to all of the stories. I would not be mad at a The Wire time laps over 20 years.

Yeah but it's not going to happen. "life goes on" is how every season ends but no flash forwards. This ain't Lost.

Indeed. This effect worked for Six Feet Under because each episode was succinctly bookended by a person's death (and usually, funeral). The Wire though, I don't know. So much has happened in just the last few years of time on the show that showing the next few in flash-forward would be unsatisfying, for me personally anyways.

Are you serious??

dude I stated in this very thread about 10 pages up that he "nails every scene." (read up on your read ups!) He plays a great recovering addict (yes Jonny I *actually* know some!). I just can't stand him on screen. He creeps me out. Hatt me.

OK, I thought so! I was very confused by your comment.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The worst version of the theme song by far is Tom Waits' own version -- I can't stand it, and I actually like some of his records.

I rewatched the nineth episode last night. Just another instance where Simon and Co. dropped the ball on their own pet storyline, when the woman reporter (Alma?) asked Daniels for a quote after Carcetti's press conference and Daniels said, "The good guys won," she responds by asking for something more "substanative." If any reporter EVER used that word in an interview with a police officer, that interview would be effectively over. I guess maybe that would help flesh out her character as a wet-behind-the-ears rookie, so maybe that's what they wanted.

I am going to say it yet again -- nothing is happening to McNulty. Maybe he gets bounced from his house again, but he isn't going to get more than a slap on the wrist for his bogus homeless killer thing.

• she is AWFUL. and plus if a cop said "Another good day for the good guys," I'd say that was actually a decent quote to run in a story, no?

• if we still had the survey function we could poll people's preferences on the 5 Wire theme versions.

• she is AWFUL. and plus if a cop said "Another good day for the good guys," I'd say that was actually a decent quote to run in a story, no?

If you are interviewing George Bush.

If you are interviewing George Bush.

look she asked for more hard facts and was rebuffed. she did her job. no reason not to run the candycane quote if that's all they had. but they ended up cutting it completely.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Dude. Why must I cry? I fawking bawled my eyes out last night- starting with Snoop and continuing through the end of the show. I even stayed home sick today, I mean I am sick- I am still dealing with emotions!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Wire should rip off the epilogue steez from Six Feet Under and show what happens to everyone in the future.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I was wondering what the montage would be like. Even though the Six Feet Under finale had some creepy/cheesy wig old people styles it was very satisfying to see a definitve end to all of the stories. I would not be mad at a The Wire time laps over 20 years.

Yeah but it's not going to happen. "life goes on" is how every season ends but no flash forwards. This ain't Lost.

Indeed. This effect worked for Six Feet Under because each episode was succinctly bookended by a person's death (and usually, funeral). The Wire though, I don't know. So much has happened in just the last few years of time on the show that showing the next few in flash-forward would be unsatisfying, for me personally anyways.

Dude, I was kidding. It'd be ridiculously lame to go there.

Maybe instead, McNulty, in a drunken rage, steps to Marlo, raises his gun and then the screen goes blank for 10 seconds.

• Maybe instead, McNulty, in a drunken rage, steps to Marlo, raises his gun and then the screen goes blank for 10 seconds.

bADDABING

• I am going to say it yet again -- nothing is happening to McNulty. Maybe he gets bounced from his house again, but he isn't going to get more than a slap on the wrist for his bogus homeless killer thing.

And this is the worst possible outcome from McNulty's point of view. He got the exact outcome that he wanted from the whole fake homeless thing but he has made it impossible for himself to take any credit. When Lester celebrates by the railroad tracks and McNulty stews like a pouty bitch and refuses to join him it is because McNulty's ego can't handle the anticlimax of not personally getting anything from the Marlo takedown. (By the way it seems totally out of character for McNulty to remain sober at that moment when throughout the series he has responded to both his successes and failures alike by hitting the sauce)

• I am going to say it yet again -- nothing is happening to McNulty. Maybe he gets bounced from his house again, but he isn't going to get more than a slap on the wrist for his bogus homeless killer thing.

And this is the worst possible outcome from McNulty's point of view. He got the exact outcome that he wanted from the whole fake homeless thing but he has made it impossible for himself to take any credit. When Lester celebrates by the railroad tracks and McNulty stews like a pouty bitch and refuses to join him it is because McNulty's ego can't handle the anticlimax of not personally getting anything from the Marlo takedown. (By the way it seems totally out of character for McNulty to remain sober at that moment when throughout the series he has responded to both his successes and failures alike by hitting the sauce)

I don't think McNulty cares about the "credit." Seriously, in 5 seasons of this dude's character, where are you getting that?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's going to be a loooooooooooooong week of sitting through predictions.

• It's going to be a loooooooooooooong week of sitting through predictions.

this man speaks the truth.

Now that's a ballsy prediction! - I don't know what this gremlin is, but it needs some attention

c'mon O this schitt is fun. you know you're not above this.

who here really believes "nothing will happen to McNulty"? I just don't see how this is possible.

I don't think McNulty cares about the "credit." Seriously, in 5 seasons of this dude's character, where are you getting that?

Its not credit like he wants a plaque or a press conference or something, he just wants his ego stroked a little. In 5 seasons of this dude's character I have noticed that he is arrogant and thinks that he is smarter than everyone else, and now he wants that to be acknowledged. How else do you explain his mopyness after Marlo is arrested?