NBA 07-08 Set Thangs STR8

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    WHICH PLAYERS HAVE A "HIGH BASKETBALL IQ"?

STEVE NASH

Nash should be in there because he plays the game like soccer. But I left him out because he anchors a brand of basketball that doesn`t win you big games. Not smart.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

STEVE NASH

Nash should be in there because he plays the game like soccer. But I left him out because he anchors a brand of basketball that doesn`t win you big games. Not smart.
    WOW.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

STEVE NASH

WOW.

What you know about that big game brand of play perfected during many sweaty-palmed fist-clenched hours at the keyboard?

STEVE NASH

WOW.

What you know about that big game brand of play perfected during many sweaty-palmed fist-clenched hours at the keyboard?
    i admit, not much. but i will get there with time, practice and patience. i've almost got the fist-clench down, but can't quite get the palm sweating right. i have a tape that plays some of KB24's best post game comments on repeat in my sleep, it's hard to doze off when he's talking about being a warrior on the court, and he audibly bites his lower lip a lot. but my lack of sleep is a small price to pay for my soon-to-be status of "nasty-hugging telepathic basketball scientist thug".

• 1) Martin is getting 8 points and 5 boards a night

Check his average minutes with that, first of all, plus, stats don't tell the whole story. I've seen every Nuggets game this season and most of the games where Kenyon has played well, we have blown our opponents out of the water. He has brought a defensive presence in addition to Marcus that this team desperately needed. As he gets more comfortable and his minutes increase a little, so will his stats. If he stays healthy, he could very well be the x-factor of the season for the Nuggets. His 8 and 5 are based off of him slowly coming back to the team after a second knee surgery and a full year off. Did you expect 20/10 right out the gate or what? Come talk to me later in the season when he's averaging 15+ and 8+ rbds and 2+ stls with limited minutes and tell me he isn't doing anything to help the Nuggets.

Are you suggesting he hasn't had many minutes, as in he's on the bench collecting splinters??

RIF. He had a season off and a second knee surgery (or wait, maybe that was his third?), he's not going to be in the game for 48 minutes at the start of the season. You can call it riding the bench and collecting splinters, but that has nothing to do with his talent and ability to be effective on the team, it has to do with recovering from his injury. You can follow his career since high school all you want, but if you aren't following the team he plays for currently and how he fits into that system, your opinion of his current level of effectiveness is irrelevant.

Your original comment about collecting splinters implies that he isn't going to do shit for the Nuggets this year, when clearly, he already is. That is all.

• WHICH PLAYERS HAVE A "HIGH BASKETBALL IQ"?

STEVE NASH

And Luke Walton does?

STEVE NASH

And Luke Walton does?

It hath been tooken there.

• And hey yuichi, here's one for your list of smart players with a high Bball IQ:

Robert Horry

You guys are like totally what not to be in White America. yea dude.

not just basketball related, but espn vapid scream-box stephen a. smith had some choice words regarding sports blogging, which is essentially, how a lot of people are getting sports news these days:
    "And when you look at the internet business, what???s dangerous about it is that people who are clearly unqualified get to disseminate their piece to the masses. I respect the journalism industry, and the fact of the matter is ...someone with no training should not be allowed to have any kind of format whatsoever to disseminate to the masses to the level which they can.[/b] They are not trained. Not experts." [not scientists?] "More important are the level of ethics and integrity that comes along with the quote-unqoute profession hasn???t been firmly established and entrenched in the minds of those who???ve been given that license.

"Therefore, there???s a total disregard, a level of wrecklessness that ends up being a domino effect. And the people who suffer are the common viewers out there and, more importantly, those in the industry who haven???t been fortunate to get a radio or television deal and only rely on the written word. And now they???ve been sabotaged. Not because of me. Or like me. But because of the industry or the world has allowed the average joe to resemble a professional without any credentials whatsoever."
    http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2007/11/stephen_a_smith_1.html

i think this is a portrait of asshurt of epic proportions. granted, most bloggers have no professional credentials. however, as is the case with stephen a., credentialed people are not always the best medium through which information should be disseminated. (especially a guy who was shitcanned from a newspaper for his lack of professional integrity. )
    put simply: he's not good at his job, he is an idiot, albeit a credentialed idiot.
    Compare his ranting when writing or on the air to bloggers (some of who have been legitimized by being picked up and paid by espn/yahoo/aol, etc.) like henry abbott-- clearly a better writer and source of information. He doesn't yell as loud as smith though.

What you got besides "Steve Nash makes his teammates better"?

• What you got besides "Steve Nash makes his teammates better"?

how about: "Steve Nash hits hard at times, and lays in the groove at others"... ?

What you got besides "Steve Nash makes his teammates better"?

how about: "Steve Nash hits hard at times, and lays in the groove at others"... ?

i wasn't asking you. go back to drinking wine and talking to your girls.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    (especially a guy who was shitcanned from a newspaper for his lack of professional integrity.)

News to me...what paper was this?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

1) Martin is getting 8 points and 5 boards a night

Check his average minutes with that, first of all, plus, stats don't tell the whole story. I've seen every Nuggets game this season and most of the games where Kenyon has played well, we have blown our opponents out of the water. He has brought a defensive presence in addition to Marcus that this team desperately needed. As he gets more comfortable and his minutes increase a little, so will his stats. If he stays healthy, he could very well be the x-factor of the season for the Nuggets. His 8 and 5 are based off of him slowly coming back to the team after a second knee surgery and a full year off. Did you expect 20/10 right out the gate or what? Come talk to me later in the season when he's averaging 15+ and 8+ rbds and 2+ stls with limited minutes and tell me he isn't doing anything to help the Nuggets.

Are you suggesting he hasn't had many minutes, as in he's on the bench collecting splinters??

RIF. He had a season off and a second knee surgery (or wait, maybe that was his third?), he's not going to be in the game for 48 minutes at the start of the season. You can call it riding the bench and collecting splinters, but that has nothing to do with his talent and ability to be effective on the team, it has to do with recovering from his injury. You can follow his career since high school all you want, but if you aren't following the team he plays for currently and how he fits into that system, your opinion of his current level of effectiveness is irrelevant.

Your original comment about collecting splinters implies that he isn't going to do shit for the Nuggets this year, when clearly, he already is. That is all.

Well the SS Fantasy League must agree as players like Jemario Moon, Kendrick Perkins and Paul Milsap are all on squads while Kenyon sits unclaimed.....collecting splinters.

You're blinded by your fandom.

Martin is ALWAYS recovering from an injury.

His career has been a miserable failure considering the talent he once possessed. The first player picked in the draft after a storied college career and the dude has been an All-Star ONCE.....and has never matched the numbers he had in college.

And IF he manages to comeback and contribute in a way your private mind garden would like to imagine, I'll come here and give him props and admit you are right.

Until then he will share splinters with Nene.

I don't think anybody has any idea what you're talking about. Tell us more.

I don't think anybody has any idea what you're talking about. Tell us more.

No baldy.

• I don't have any idea what the child is babbling about either

• Right, because fantasy basketball has so much to do with real team basketball in the real world... Great interpretation of reality there. You must work for ESPN or something.

Kenyon is doing what we need him to do right now and he is making our team better. I know his injuries have been a problem but if he can contribute with limited minutes and make the team better, then he's doing a good job. I agree that I am slightly "blinded by my fandom" as you say, but really, I'm just trying to be optimistic for one of maybe the most talented power forwards the game has seen in the past 10 years. I just want to see him do good because he's such an exciting player when he's hot. I think he has it and can do it this year as long as he doesn't have another season ending injury. That's all. We'll see what happens. If you've seen him play at all this year, you'd understand why I'm saying this, so I'm guessing you haven't. He looks hungrier than he did 2 and 3 years ago, that's for sure.

• I don't have any idea what the child is babbling about either

Me neither, and it was a response to one of my posts, so I'm not sure if it was directed at me or not. I really do think Robert Horry has a high basketball IQ though. Does "white America" not approve of Robert Horry or something? What am I missing?

I don't have any idea what the child is babbling about either

Did the new season for The Wire start yet?

• There are several threads dedicated to that, young - I suggest you explain your unwarranted criticism of Steve Nash or fall back.

I don't have any idea what the child is babbling about either

Me neither, and it was a response to one of my posts, so I'm not sure if it was directed at me or not. I really do think Robert Horry has a high basketball IQ though. Does "white America" not approve of Robert Horry or something? What am I missing?

Too much suspense, for me not to peek. That's cool. I was talking more about our resident anal retentive poasters. Him and the dude that switched coasts and tries to be down with everything. lollapalooza.

There are several threads dedicated to that, young - I suggest you explain your unwarranted criticism of Steve Nash or fall back.

Yo, why don't you read the thread before you post son?

My man already explained that Nash plays the game like soccer!

He can only hit us with one tepid trickledown cliche lifted from espn.com per day and then he's gonna have to start charging us!

There are several threads dedicated to that, young - I suggest you explain your unwarranted criticism of Steve Nash or fall back.

2 MVP awards, crushing sub-par opponents in the regular, making his teammates better, the highest-scoring offense in the league, unselfish, role model, Caucasian, 0 titles.

Yo, why don't you read the thread before you post son?

My man already explained that Nash plays the game like soccer!

He can only hit us with one tepid trickledown cliche lifted from espn.com per day and then he's gonna have to start charging us!

haha. you're a joke.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Does "white America" not approve of Robert Horry or something? What am I missing?

I think they all think he's Will Smith, which would mean they approve of him.

• Half the people on your list haven't won titles and are less than half the player Nash is. You're going to have to start over if that is really your only reason for leaving him off the list. Sounds like there's something more, something buried deep within you that is causing this unbridled hatred of Steve Nash. Tell us more.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Steve Nash makes John Stockton look like Darryl Dawkins.

And that's why I pretty much hate him...he's over-technical and along with that, he basically signifies the loss of America's singlehanded grasp on defining basketball as we grew up playing it.