I like common records. Isn't that embarrassing!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Well, something caused an abrupt increase in demand for what had previously been a widely available Dionne Warwick record--that much is not in dispute, right?

So if you don't attribute it to the record being sampled, what do you put it down to? A comp. which may or may not even exist and whose name you can't remember?

I think the right sample does still increase demand for a record--it won't turn a dollar bin record into a wallpiece, but when somebody lifts a big and recognizable chunk of it and the sampling record then receives wide exposure, people get interested. See: Rasputin Stash about a year ago.

I'm not denying this but I think the question here is one of timeline. You're probably right - for some reason, I just thought this Warwick album was kind of "known" prior but I can't get my timing straight anymore.

But as to who was more influential:

Usher's "Throwback" was 2004
    Donuts was early 2006.

When did this Warwick album go scarce?

Okay, see, I didn't know even know what the Dilla sample was or when it came out--that having now been clarified, I don't think there's any question that Ursh was a much bigger factor, since demand went up for the record well before last year.

In fact, weren't you hyping it up via blog entries prior to that point?

Soul Sides = lead to demand for said Warwick record

I was. And I didn't learn about the record b/c of Usher. But my friend put me up on it and I don't know if he knew about it b/c of Usher. But I also don't know when the record was in high demand. I certainly didn't have to pay much for my copy and I bought it off Ze Bay.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is really not directed at anyone in particular, but seriously: This shit is really not news. At all. Common is the new rare, and it has been the new rare for a long minute now. Every record luminary I can think of that has any cachet in our little world--Soulman, Dante, anthonypearson, Producer A to Producer Z, ad infinitum--has been saying for as long as I can remember: "Do not sleep on good, common records--good, common records are the best." Because of this, I no longer give extra points to folks who ride for good, common records. No extra points for dudes who have a Moment Of Clarity and start riding for good, common records, and no extra points for dudes who truculently insist that, yo, they've stayed riding for good, common records. I no longer believe that the "guilt" of people who "confess" to liking good, common records is anything other than thinly veiled self-satisfaction, and the accompanying air of congratulation makes me queasy. I mean, upper-middle-aged black ladies and record dudes both like, for example, some Curtis; the difference is that the record dude wants a f*cking gold star for it, wants to wear it as some badge of advanced taste. Replace ???black??? with ???white??? and ???Curtis??? with ???Crosby, Stills, and Nash??? and it???s the same shit. The implication that it???s in any way brave to ride for these records is f*cking ludicrous, and betrays more of an investment in the Internet Cult Of Rarity than the rider would probably care to admit.

I???m not really going anywhere productive with this, and I???m as guilty of this shit as the next man, but I???m still kinda bone-tired of it. At least for today.

Pardon my venting.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

NOT COMMON ANYWHERE!

this is actually the most common Curtis album. (save for Superfly) it sold very well in comparison to the other solo LP's he put out.

Must be a regional thing. I live in Chicago, where Curtis and Curtom Records were based, and I never see the first three Curtis albums that often. And when Roots turns up, the perforated back cover is usually missing.

Don't get me wrong, I see Curtis, Curtis/Live! and Roots from time to time, but not with the same frequency as the others.

VG+ will sell for $25 any day of the week. Calisoulbrother sold one for $96. I don't care how baller you are at selling, but nobody can sell a "common" record for $96.

I bought mine for $1 in 1987, and even back then, this album didn't really turn up on the regular.

nobody can sell a "common" record for $96

Not exactly true.

• nobody can sell a "common" record for $96

Not exactly true.

Maybe that bob dude on ebay, that "beautiful wear free labels, thick cardboard jacket american style, good luck finding another sealed copy" guy.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This is really not directed at anyone in particular, but seriously: This shit is really not news. At all. Common is the new rare, and it has been the new rare for a long minute now. Every record luminary I can think of that has any cachet in our little world--Soulman, Dante, anthonypearson, Producer A to Producer Z, ad infinitum--has been saying for as long as I can remember: "Do not sleep on good, common records--good, common records are the best." Because of this, I no longer give extra points to folks who ride for good, common records. No extra points for dudes who have a Moment Of Clarity and start riding for good, common records, and no extra points for dudes who truculently insist that, yo, they've stayed riding for good, common records. I no longer believe that the "guilt" of people who "confess" to liking good, common records is anything other than thinly veiled self-satisfaction, and the accompanying air of congratulation makes me queasy. I mean, upper-middle-aged black ladies and record dudes both like, for example, some Curtis; the difference is that the record dude wants a f*cking gold star for it, wants to wear it as some badge of advanced taste. Replace ???black??? with ???white??? and ???Curtis??? with ???Crosby, Stills, and Nash??? and it???s the same shit. The implication that it???s in any way brave to ride for these records is f*cking ludicrous, and betrays more of an investment in the Internet Cult Of Rarity than the rider would probably care to admit.

I???m not really going anywhere productive with this, and I???m as guilty of this shit as the next man, but I???m still kinda bone-tired of it. At least for today.

Pardon my venting.

oh shit.

• nobody can sell a "common" record for $96

Not exactly true.

a strutter recently got $108 for a Fenton Robinson "I Believe" 45...still wondering how the fu..excuse me...f**K he pulled that off

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

NOT COMMON ANYWHERE!

this is actually the most common Curtis album. (save for Superfly) it sold very well in comparison to the other solo LP's he put out.

Must be a regional thing. I live in Chicago, where Curtis and Curtom Records were based, and I never see the first three Curtis albums that often. And when Roots turns up, the perforated back cover is usually missing.

Don't get me wrong, I see Curtis, Curtis/Live! and Roots from time to time, but not with the same frequency as the others.

VG+ will sell for $25 any day of the week. Calisoulbrother sold one for $96. I don't care how baller you are at selling, but nobody can sell a "common" record for $96.

I bought mine for $1 in 1987, and even back then, this album didn't really turn up on the regular.

My info comes from the liner notes of the sequel CD issue of Curtis and some other Mayfield album (I forget which one). They said his first solo was his highest selling LP. I am trying to find a second source online but right now I'm not seeing any

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    No extra points for dudes who have a Moment Of Clarity and start riding for good, common records, and no extra points for dudes who truculently insist that, yo, they've stayed riding for good, common records.

What are you offering extra points for these days? I need to bolster my numbers in the record game. Contract year.

Also, Pickwick, I was thinking, this type of situation is how I first met you...I was manning the table at the Stomp and this dude was asking me about Earl Gaines and I told dude he was a very underrated soul singer and that he was great, and you cosigned on that, as you were at the table as well. Dude came back the next day telling me how much he dug the Earl and thanked me (and you) for the recommendation.

Good to know that worked out well...Earl Gaines, now that's an artist who should play the Stomp if he hasn't already.

rich rosen?

Not exactly true.

Maybe that bob dude on ebay, that "beautiful wear free labels, thick cardboard jacket american style, good luck finding another sealed copy" guy.

There are plenty of people who regularly get prices the equivalent of $96 for a Curtis record. Some people are just very good at the selling of records. They are highly specialized and have rich and loyal customers.

My info comes from the liner notes of the sequel CD issue of Curtis and some other Mayfield album (I forget which one). They said his first solo was his highest selling LP.

Well, it was Top 20 in Billboard's pop charts, but then again The James Brown Show (a/k/a "Live At The Apollo") was Top 5 on those same listings and you never see that one either (and when you do, it's wrecked). Speaking for myself, I've seen it around, but not as much as Superfly (which was far bigger than Curtis).

• The James Brown Show (a/k/a "Live At The Apollo") was Top 5 on those same listings and you never see that one either (and when you do, it's wrecked).

I believe there were 500,000 copies pressed with scratches, and all remianing copies that werent pressed with scratches were played with nails...same goes for early Bo Diddley LPs

• NOT COMMON ANYWHERE!

My info comes from the liner notes of the sequel CD issue of Curtis and some other Mayfield album (I forget which one). They said his first solo was his highest selling LP. I am trying to find a second source online but right now I'm not seeing any

Seems like the one that I see out the most is Superfly. It had to be his best selling, right?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

NOT COMMON ANYWHERE!

Seems like the one that I see out the most is Superfly. It had to be his best selling, right?

yes, I mentioned that in my first post. But for some reason I always separate it from his other LP's due to it being a soundtrack.

• Not for anything, but I have never never ever even seen this record in the real world. Not at a show, not in a dollar bin hammered, nowhere. So I'm gonna go ahead and proclaim it

Me neither. I see a ton of Dionne records but never that one.

This used to be a staple in the dollar bin where I work - then Dilla hit it. Suddenly, there were none to be found. Where did they all go? Cats were fiending for this record in Detroit. It is a really common record, at one point in time it used to get quarter binned or thrown out. Since the great Dilla rush of '06, I've seen about 10 copies come in, I just don't put them on the floor anymore for the flippers to get, I sell them to dudes who want them to listen to them for the whopping price of... $1.

Does anybody think perhaps the Usher/Just Blaze sample was a bigger factor in increasing demand for this record?

I think Dilla fans are way more into finding samples and also real deal Just Blaze dudes don't f**k with no Ursher. That's a dope track though

I was with Jinx when I first bought this record and dude looked at me and was like "why the f**k did you by that" and I said "it's got some beats, yo!".

You have to go full circle with commond records, start their and eventually go back.

Go to the library (or even a few bookstores) and find a Billboard pop album chart reference book. I'm at work right now, so my memory might not be precise, but I'm guesstimating that Superfly was at least in the Top 5 while the debut was Top 20.

yes, I mentioned that in my first post. But for some reason I always separate it from his other LP's due to it being a soundtrack.

I'd count it as a Curtis LP due to the fact that he's on the entire album. it's not just a soundtrack that has one or two Curtis songs.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    One of the smaller minds on here seem to have been dissing this record as "common" or "just a Dilla sample" or similar dumb shit. I just wanted to stand up for this disc, which I would rather have than ten thousand trendy 45's and like Horselmats and whatnot, even if it's not as cool to floss on my myspace page yo. This record has great songs, great production, and on side-b where the songs stretch out, the record gets very much on some "proto-disco" type steelo. That's all, nothing else to say really, except that I think alot of people on here confuse "good music" with "rare records that I saw go for alot of money on popsike" and that's why the internet is gay to me. Go look for a Honus Wagner or something...

dionne warwick/e = I don't like her music or records regardless if they are worth 10 thousand or 10 dollars. I'd rather listen to Melba Moore.

but whatever floats your boat...

Horray for mint common records at $1 each no doubt, but I do not need 200,000 of them clogging up my wall unit.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Exactly! I just won an auction that Raj put up for 3 Ramsey Lewis records/Diane Tell. Common records that play out in my opinion but I never see them around these parts. But as for the raer's, I grip to flip, sometimes keep. Let's face it the raer's are easier to sell when you need some money in the pocket. Sold half my raer's 3 to 4 years ago which help me get out of debt. Now I'm trying to rebuild my stash but this time keep my shit that I love. Even the semi-common records & Ramsey Lewis joints.

• There are plenty of people who regularly get prices the equivalent of $96 for a Curtis record.

Because it isn't a dollar record.

Now good luck find another sealed copy of this beauty:

• This is really not directed at anyone in particular, but seriously: This shit is really not news. At all. Common is the new rare, and it has been the new rare for a long minute now. Every record luminary I can think of that has any cachet in our little world--Soulman, Dante, anthonypearson, Producer A to Producer Z, ad infinitum--has been saying for as long as I can remember: "Do not sleep on good, common records--good, common records are the best." Because of this, I no longer give extra points to folks who ride for good, common records. No extra points for dudes who have a Moment Of Clarity and start riding for good, common records, and no extra points for dudes who truculently insist that, yo, they've stayed riding for good, common records. I no longer believe that the "guilt" of people who "confess" to liking good, common records is anything other than thinly veiled self-satisfaction, and the accompanying air of congratulation makes me queasy. I mean, upper-middle-aged black ladies and record dudes both like, for example, some Curtis; the difference is that the record dude wants a f*cking gold star for it, wants to wear it as some badge of advanced taste. Replace ???black??? with ???white??? and ???Curtis??? with ???Crosby, Stills, and Nash??? and it???s the same shit. The implication that it???s in any way brave to ride for these records is f*cking ludicrous, and betrays more of an investment in the Internet Cult Of Rarity than the rider would probably care to admit.

Pardon my venting.

I don't get it, you didn't recommend a common record. What am I 'po to do?

What am I 'po to do?

For one, you should remeber the name Melba Moore. I don't know what it is but since the one obscure_asshurt mentioned it, I can only assume it is rare and only available via unreleased acetate.

• What am I 'po to do?

For one, you should remeber the name Melba Moore. I don't know what it is but since the one obscure_asshurt mentioned it, I can only assume it is rare and only available via unreleased acetate.

You answer every random question with my name.

• Is Beach Boys with "Kokomo" on it common?

• I'm all for commons, and they make up the bulk of my collection as well...

I live in North Dakota... theres basically no record stores, and if I find something, it's usually at a thrift or antique store... that means I'm paying $1-$5... usually no more than $10.

Expensive/rare shit is often a let down... Even if the records good, is it $100 good?

On the other hand, it's not hard to be blown away by getting something solid for $1. You feel like you just stole something, that you got more than your one dollars worth, ya know? Even one good track makes a $1 purchase worthwhile.

The other day in Fargo I got the Best of the Chambers Brothers for $1. Got the Turtles Battle of the Bands for $1, Return of the Pink Panther for $1, Ike & Tina's Get It Together for $1, and Sammy Davis Jr.'s Something for Everyone for $4. I was giddy as fuck. That's $8 for some cool shit. You can't buy one shitty new CD for that.

Peace...
    Mimizu

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Pardon me as I add on some off-the-head common record contributions:

-"The Dude", "Body Heat", and "Sounds...and Stuff Like That"-Quincy Jones (highly-quality modern soul).
    -"Sleeping Gypsy" and "The Art of Tea"-Michael Franks.
    -"S/T"-Rickie Lee Jones.
    -"Nightclubbin'"-Grace Jones.
    -"Light Up the Night" and "Right on Time"-The Brothers Johnson.
    -"So Far"-Crosby, Still, Nash, & Young.
    -"Harvest"-Neil Young.
    -"Astral Weeks"-Van Morrison.
    -"Realization"-Johnny Rivers.
    -"The Hissing of Summer Lawns", "Blue", and "Court and Spark"-Joni Mitchell.
    -"Tapestry"-Carole King.
    -"With a Little Help from My Friends"-Joe Cocker.
    -"Shades of Deep Purple"-Deep Purple.
    -"Never Too Much"-Luther Vandross.
    -"Native New Yorker"-Odyssey.
    -"S/T"-Brenda Russell.

I'll stop here, more to come...

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is a fantastic record, Dilla samples or not. If you're the kind of person who routinely passed on this before Donuts came out, you need to punch yourself in the face.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    the only time you should really be after rare records is after you've been through all the most common classics.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    the only time you should really be after rare records is after you've been through all the most common classics.

I disagree... you should be after records as they come to you. Whether it be digging in the field or hearing something in a set, on the radio, in a mix, etc. You don't want to pass on something good because you haven't heard something else. Plus the feeling of getting a good common record is always satisfying no matter how many raers you have.