I like common records. Isn't that embarrassing!

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Tarkus

this was one of my favorite records back in high school! I need to find that old thang again, blow off the dust, and bring back some memories...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Does anybody think perhaps the Usher/Just Blaze sample was a bigger factor in increasing demand for this record?

Not really. I'm doubting the Dilla factor too.

This has always been a pretty tough catch in the UK - I finally landed a clean copy of it a few years ago after having lived with a seriously battered one for much longer, purely for the love of the music - but I'd say that the Dilla factor is probably the slightly bigger deal as far as increasing its scarcity goes. "You're Gonna Need Me" is a regular selection in the early evening part of my set when I spin at a local bar, and the only time anyone ever asked me what it was was about six weeks after "Donuts" came out - "What was the name of that Dilla sample you played?"

My girl gets a bigger kick out of it being the o.g. to "Throwback", but then I like that, the Dilla and the Dionne, so I'm good.

Also, plaese to not be fronting on the combined efforts of Dionne Warwick, Eddie & Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Richard "Popcorn" Wylie and Gene Page (amongst others), because it makes you look like a prize chump (I'm not talking about you here, Spanky).

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    ^^^hahaha!!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    the only time you should really be after rare records is after you've been through all the most common classics.

I disagree... you should be after records as they come to you. Whether it be digging in the field or hearing something in a set, on the radio, in a mix, etc. You don't want to pass on something good because you haven't heard something else. Plus the feeling of getting a good common record is always satisfying no matter how many raers you have.

It's all about understanding your own taste and understanding how much a record is worth to you personally. The common records out there simply don't encompass the whole spectrum of what's out there musically. You can forget about trying to hear great international music out of the common dollar bin.

Some rare records are expensive only because of scarcity and rich collectors. And some are expensive because they are truly a league beyond the rest.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

NOT COMMON ANYWHERE!

this is actually the most common Curtis album. (save for Superfly) it sold very well in comparison to the other solo LP's he put out.

Must be a regional thing. I live in Chicago, where Curtis and Curtom Records were based, and I never see the first three Curtis albums that often. And when Roots turns up, the perforated back cover is usually missing.

Don't get me wrong, I see Curtis, Curtis/Live! and Roots from time to time, but not with the same frequency as the others.

VG+ will sell for $25 any day of the week. Calisoulbrother sold one for $96. I don't care how baller you are at selling, but nobody can sell a "common" record for $96.

This record is commonly trashed, so getting high $ for a nice shape copy is understandable. The amount of Curtis I've passed on due to condition is only comparable to Cymande and Latin records.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    does it violate some kind of vinyl dork code to just buy the reissue, or is there some legitimate reason that only the original will do for an apparently common record that sells for too much money or is always in bad shape??

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    does it violate some kind of vinyl dork code to just buy the reissue, or is there some legitimate reason that only the original will do for an apparently common record?

I've asked this same question before on the Strut, and the reaction basically boiled down to "reissues are for herbs."

I disagree - a reissue done right is a fuggin' public service. Like my friend John sez, maybe one day Esquerita's album might fall down from heaven, but he's not gonna sit around waiting for the day. JUST BUY THE DAMN REISSUE (and be thankful you can).

Reissues are a last resort, or the go to when the og is legitimately unattainable, like Invaders. Speaking for myself, I don't need any records, I need more records like a hole in the head. The hunt is often better than the having.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

• -"Astral Weeks"-Van Morrison.

Here we go again...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    does it violate some kind of vinyl dork code to just buy the reissue, or is there some legitimate reason that only the original will do for an apparently common record?

I've asked this same question before on the Strut, and the reaction basically boiled down to "reissues are for herbs."

I disagree - a reissue done right is a fuggin' public service. Like my friend John sez, maybe one day Esquerita's album might fall down from heaven, but he's not gonna sit around waiting for the day. JUST BUY THE DAMN REISSUE (and be thankful you can).

Or just download the music digitally.

At the end of the day, the culture of collecting is based on all kinds of rules that have nothing to do with rationality or consistency. I don't like to buy reissues but the only explanation I can give you is: I'd prefer to have it first-pressing, OG. Not b/c I can floss it but because I KNOW. It's completely demented but it still floats my boat.

• does it violate some kind of vinyl dork code to just buy the reissue, or is there some legitimate reason that only the original will do for an apparently common record?

File under "It's not about the music."

That attitude bums me out. "You're right...this reissue--which I ripped and listen to on my iPod--is not at all exciting."

File under "It's not about the music."

That attitude bums me out. "You're right...this reissue--which I ripped and listen to on my iPod--is not at all exciting."

my friend calls me "hypocritical" because he sez if i really felt that originals and reissues were about equal, then id sell all my originals and rebuy it on some compilation. dont agree. once i buy something, i done BOUGHT it - i dont buy shit twice if i can help it

• I'd like to say that I do not own even one reissue on vinyl... remastered cd's only. I was happy to put my money down for a copy of the Skull Snaps when it finally came out again in 2005 with two bonus cuts. Lately east of underground is the latest purchase for myself as a reissued piece.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'd like to say that I do not own even one reissue on vinyl... remastered cd's only. I was happy to put my money down for a copy of the Skull Snaps when it finally came out again in 2005 with two bonus cuts. Lately east of underground is the latest purchase for myself as a reissued piece.

Million Dollar CNC Machine Raers.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

not at all!

file under: post a pic of you in love with a record

the dynasty and act 1 albums get the most play out of all my records. the others are also always near the turntable.

And then there are those borderline cases where the reissue is so old (or hard to come by) that it may as well be collectable itself...I mean, we know that James Brown's Please Please Please album first had the cover with the legs of a white man and woman...then the second cover which featured Process James live in concert...but what about the THIRD cover which had James rocking an Afro? (And all these were on King...)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

the dynasty and act 1 albums get the most play out of all my records. the others are also always near the turntable.

I have never seen an Act 1 record EVAR.

if I give you a couple dollars can you send me doubles?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

not at all!

file under: post a pic of you in love with a record

In Color is one of my nearest and dearest.

"Southern girls" you got nothin' to loose!!

Damn that song makes me want to get drunk and screw everytime I hear it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    tons of non-dollar bin records in this thread. where do you guys live??

ive SEEN Curtis maybe 4 times in my life. i still dont own a copy.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

this is what happens when this thread is made every other month.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

hahahaha, i guess

better this than another "im quittin' record collecting (cuz all the good raers are gone)" thread

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Almost all of the time, with some notable exceptions, reissues sound subpar in comparison to an OG. Especially when the source material is vinyl.

There is nothing wrong with reissues and comps. When done right, they're great and can shed light on some great music. I just can't stand when people do half-assed jobs or don't pay their artists.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

"southern girls", "you're all talk", "oh caroline", "big eyes", "so good to see you" are my jams. those songs turn my brain into that of a giddy teenager. i love how the front shows the 2 "attractive" dudes of cheap trick on motorcycles and the back cover are rick nielsen and bun e. on mopeds! rick nielsen forever

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

"southern girls", "you're all talk", "oh caroline", "big eyes", "so good to see you" are my jams. those songs turn my brain into that of a giddy teenager. i love how the front shows the 2 "attractive" dudes of cheap trick on motorcycles and the back cover are rick nielsen and bun e. on mopeds! rick nielsen forever

Rick owns a decent Pizza joint in Chicago called "Piece"

better this than another "im quittin' record collecting (cuz all the good raers are gone)" thread

I'm too old for this sh*t!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Almost all of the time, with some notable exceptions, reissues sound subpar in comparison to an OG.

I realize people want to believe this, but I honestly think it's bullshit.

Rick owns a decent Pizza joint in Chicago called "Piece"

i saw him there once judging some karaoke contest

Almost all of the time, with some notable exceptions, reissues sound subpar in comparison to an OG.

I realize people want to believe this, but I honestly think it's bullshit.

besides, i like having liner notes that tell the stories behind what we're listenin at