I like common records. Isn't that embarrassing!

14567810»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

hmmm... i'd like to see some stats on this...

According to the Billboard album charts, Curtis' three most popular albums were:
    Superfly, 1972 - #1
    Back To The World, 1973 - #16
    Curtis, 1970 - #19

thanks for this- i was too lazy and/or busy to get off my ass and check it my damn self

but this begs the question: 'popularity' measured how- sales #s?

Exactly. I think airplay might be factored in there somewhere, but with albums (as opposed to 45's), it's mainly sales.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I've DJed Scorpio reissues out on a couple of occasions,

BAN

As Howard Tate once sang, "I Learned It All The Hard Way"!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This thread has taken a turn of the better!

• What - you don't think a public forum is a good place to
    put the personal business of people you don't know on blast?

Baseless info on blast is perfect! Now all we need is Elise to chirp in with her instgating ways to fan the embers further!!!!

• I don't know what Scorpio records you're talking about but most of the ones I've heard are not terrible sound-wise.

dude some of them are really bad. some are OK, and you could say of all of them that they are better than nothing (if you can get over the shady business/exploitation that may be involved). but some of them sound like SHIT!!

I've DJed Scorpio reissues out on a couple of occasions, and was appalled by the lack of bass. They sound perfectly acceptable at home, but in the club you'll be riding the bass control like a horse, trying to get some bottom...

Scorpio had some special sale a year or two ago and they were selling them wholesale to shops at like $2.80 or $3.00 a pop for a limited time, so I decided to get a dozen or so to check out some I had never seen in the field and some of them sounded OK (Bustin' out the Ghetto) and some sounded GODAWFUL(Total Response...which I could not understand, I mean even if you mastered it off of a CD, it would be from one of those Japanese 20-bit things, the point is you gotta work hard to make a Blue Note sound like shit) They make some really bad records.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Can we assume that he's putting his best foot forward with those pics, or is that but one randomly grabbed handful of records from a warehouse of heat?

Considering that he seems to cart out mostly those exact same records everytime he's trying to impress us with the vastness of his collection I'd say the former.