I like common records. Isn't that embarrassing!

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

You can't go wrong with an reissue thats been pressed on thicker gram of vinyl can you?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

You can't go wrong with an reissue thats been pressed on thicker gram of vinyl can you?

Yes, yes you can. The whole "220 Gram" reissue trend
    is fairly fraudulent, at least as far as people believing
    that heavier vinyl somehow instantly = higher fidelity.
    A crappily mastered reissue recorded from a vinyl source
    is still going to sound like ass, no matter what the weight
    of the vinyl is ...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Almost all of the time, with some notable exceptions, reissues sound subpar in comparison to an OG.

I realize people want to believe this, but I honestly think it's bullshit.

I honestly think it's 100 percent true and am always surprised when people can't hear the difference.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Almost all of the time, with some notable exceptions, reissues sound subpar in comparison to an OG.

Either you've never heard a Scorpio pressing or you don't know what you're talking about.

...and considering most reissue vinyl at any store (round here anyway) is going to be a Scorpio bootleg, mastered off of a used piece of wax with little effort put into the sound... this is where the reissue rep comes from.

Legit reissues can sound better than the OG sometimes, but there just aren't enough of those around.

And those 180/220 gram things often have a real shallow pressing and in that case the weight of the vinyl makes absolutely no difference, some of them sound like shit... these companies around today aren't going to melt those grooves in deep like they did in the 50s/60s...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    these companies around today aren't going to melt those grooves in deep like they did in the 50s/60s...

Why not and Who does these days?? Anyone??

It seems these small batch companies are producing vinyl for the greater good of music, why can't they produce it the original way? I know its money.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Either you've never heard a Scorpio pressing or you don't know what you're talking about.

...and considering most reissue vinyl at any store (round here anyway) is going to be a Scorpio bootleg, mastered off of a used piece of wax with little effort put into the sound... this is where the reissue rep comes from.

1) Not all reissues are on Scorpio.
    2) Not all vinyl reissues are on Scorpio. (Norton comes to mind, although since most of y'all are into funk and jazz, a label like that probably falls outside of some of you guys' realm.)
    3) Not all reissues are on vinyl (yeah, there's some kickass CD reissues too).
    4) And before CD's took over, quite a few labels like Charly, Ace (UK), Rhino, Solid Smoke, etc.. were putting out quality reissues in the eighties...but then most of that falls outside the funk/jazz realm, yet it's still an example.

Bottom line: God love the reissues, because not all of us wanna spend entire paychecks on one record. And besides, we can't help it if we were too young (or not born) when Joe Quarterman's only album made the cutout bin. OG, my ass.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Do any of you guys even have the 10 grand stereos that would make these supposed huge differences apparent? I don't. I mean the thing is, most actually rare records that are even worth buying a reissue of are not audiophile pressings or anything to begin with... they are private and small label records that are pressed cheaply and the sound quality is often pretty rough. I don't even really buy that many reissues but some of the reasons I hear people coming up with for not accepting them are pretty silly.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts

4) And before CD's took over, quite a few labels like Charly, Ace (UK), Rhino, Solid Smoke, etc.. were putting out quality reissues in the eighties...but then most of that falls outside the funk/jazz realm, yet it's still an example.

I vouch for the 80s Ace and Rhino stuff being quality. I even admit that I picked up CD reissues of Blue Note and Fania comps and LPs (it's not like any of those come by cheap, clean or readily available on the West Coast) or imports of stuff like Hot Chocolate, for example. I respect the audiophile and "the rush of owning the authentic object" mentality, but as long as the music doesn't sound flat and cassette like, who cares?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    nev mind

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    most actually rare records that are even worth buying a reissue of are not audiophile pressings or anything to begin with... they are private and small label records

nev mind.

ditto

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    the Dionne is definitely cool, but this is more common i believe:

and it's SO GOOD!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    only one thing worse than "not into common shit," and that is "not into it because i never heard of it." cuts both ways.

A-f ucking-men.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I heard a friend of a friend of hrinkkkunt was buying them all up and snapping them in half for the trash bin. Thus making the elusiveness and price more outraegous for everyone bidding on his auction.

Moron eBayers are sweating.

What will happen to the other - unsnapped - 100,000 copies of this LP?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

NOT COMMON ANYWHERE!

Never seen that either. It must be the source of Kanye's look in the "Touch the Sky" video surely? [no, not the Evel Knievel look..]

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but you're kidding, right?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It makes sense that one would like common records since high sales (commonness) and objective goodness have been shown to be tightly linked.

This used to be the case more in the past. But look who put out the number one download on iTunes today (hint: she just lost custody of her kids). Then, look at number two (hint: he's 17).

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

NOT COMMON ANYWHERE!

this is actually the most common Curtis album. (save for Superfly) it sold very well in comparison to the other solo LP's he put out.

hmmm... i'd like to see some stats on this... this is definitely the LAST of the prime-era Curtis solo LPs that turns up around here. The double live one is an easy pull, and I see Roots, Sweet Exorcist, Back the World, No Place like America, Got to Find a Way, all with regularity. But the 1st seriously NEVER turns up for me. I had to get my copy out of town

This is not a common album in stores. Especially not in good condition. If you get a VG+ copy for under $20 nowadays, it's a good pick-up. "Move On Up" was actually a much bigger hit overseas upon its release.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

In Color is one of my nearest and dearest.

"Southern girls" you got nothin' to loose!!

Damn that song makes me want to get drunk and screw everytime I hear it.

"southern girls", "you're all talk", "oh caroline", "big eyes", "so good to see you" are my jams. those songs turn my brain into that of a giddy teenager. i love how the front shows the 2 "attractive" dudes of cheap trick on motorcycles and the back cover are rick nielsen and bun e. on mopeds! rick nielsen forever

Rick owns a decent Pizza joint in Chicago called "Piece"

A few more fun Cheap Trick tidbits...

My grandpappy is Rick Nielsens lawyer. His son Daxx was a good friend of mine growing up in Rockford. Daxx is now the drummer in the group A Fine Frenzy. The drummer for Cheap Trick, Bun E. Carlos is a huge record collector, and so is his brother Kurt, who collects strictly $1000+ Surf 45s. Before Cheap Trick, Rick had a group called The Grim Reapers... who have a 45 called "Cruisin For Burgers".

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    the only time you should really be after rare records is after you've been through all the most common classics.

I disagree... you should be after records as they come to you. Whether it be digging in the field or hearing something in a set, on the radio, in a mix, etc. You don't want to pass on something good because you haven't heard something else. Plus the feeling of getting a good common record is always satisfying no matter how many raers you have.

This is true, considering most records are discoveries after the fact to folks our general age; It's not like the majority of LPs we collect were released after we were born. Even so, folks need to become educated on the The Big Picture Way Music Went Down From The Top Down.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

NOT COMMON ANYWHERE!

this is actually the most common Curtis album. (save for Superfly) it sold very well in comparison to the other solo LP's he put out.

hmmm... i'd like to see some stats on this...

According to the Billboard album charts, Curtis' three most popular albums were:
    Superfly, 1972 - #1
    Back To The World, 1973 - #16
    Curtis, 1970 - #19

most actually rare records that are even worth buying a reissue of are not audiophile pressings or anything to begin with... they are private and small label records

nev mind.

ditto

You don't agree?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

"southern girls", "you're all talk", "oh caroline", "big eyes", "so good to see you" are my jams. those songs turn my brain into that of a giddy teenager. i love how the front shows the 2 "attractive" dudes of cheap trick on motorcycles and the back cover are rick nielsen and bun e. on mopeds! rick nielsen forever

It's three-four blocks from my house. Great stuff.

My father was a DEAD RINGER for Bun E. Carlos (minus the cigarette) at the time this album came out. He was actually bumped onto a fight of theirs and sat next to Robin. I asked him how he knew for sure that it was them, and he remarked that no one else looked like Rick Nielsen. Or as he put it - "that funny-looking guy with the hat."

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I honestly think it's 100 percent true and am always surprised when people can't hear the difference.

Nah. It's a case-by-case, company-by-company thang. Ever hear the reissue of the Twine Time LP? Bit of a straw man, but even so...

Do any of you guys even have the 10 grand stereos that would make these supposed huge differences apparent? I don't. I mean the thing is, most actually rare records that are even worth buying a reissue of are not audiophile pressings or anything to begin with... they are private and small label records that are pressed cheaply and the sound quality is often pretty rough. I don't even really buy that many reissues but some of the reasons I hear people coming up with for not accepting them are pretty silly.

Either you didn't read my post or your ears are painted on... I said reissue vinyl has a bad rep b/c of Scorpio, and if you can't hear the difference between those and the OGs then I can't help you (and neither will a 50k stereo)... I have a few of those and never listen to them BECAUSE of the sound. I have reissues from reputable labels that care about what the product sounds like and those I truly appreciate and do actually listen to...

And audiophile vs. private press is the definition of a false dichotomy... the vast majority of the 50s-80s recordings we're talking about fall under neither category.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

A few more fun Cheap Trick tidbits...

My grandpappy is Rick Nielsens lawyer. His son Daxx was a good friend of mine growing up in Rockford. Daxx is now the drummer in the group A Fine Frenzy. The drummer for Cheap Trick, Bun E. Carlos is a huge record collector, and so is his brother Kurt, who collects strictly $1000+ Surf 45s. Before Cheap Trick, Rick had a group called The Grim Reapers... who have a 45 called "Cruisin For Burgers".

This, plus the complete Vincent label run, is all you need to know about Rockford music history.

Either you didn't read my post or your ears are painted on... I said reissue vinyl has a bad rep b/c of Scorpio, and if you can't hear the difference between those and the OGs then I can't help you (and neither will a 50k stereo)... I have a few of those and never listen to them BECAUSE of the sound. I have reissues from reputable labels that care about what the product sounds like and those I truly appreciate and do actually listen to...

I don't know what Scorpio records you're talking about but most of the ones I've heard are not terrible sound-wise.

And audiophile vs. private press is the definition of a false dichotomy... the vast majority of the 50s-80s recordings we're talking about fall under neither category.

My point is that it's a record. It's an imperfect medium. There are a ridiculous amount of poorly pressed records going back decades. It's not intrinsic to crappy newer reissues. People villanize reissues mostly because they do not hold the status they so covet. And they convince themselves of the importance of some trivial thing to justify buying an expensive original pressing. Not that it's so wrong or anything. I do it too.

nev mind.

ditto

You don't agree?

Odub made a comment about your definition of 'rare' being skewed, and I asked him to explain what he meant. While I was responding, Odub edited his comment to "nev mind", and I followed suit. I'm actually glad the issue was dropped, I don't have the time or energy to get involved in another argument.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

What is Scorpio? Are they the company that makes semi-real looking reissues that DG sells for $8.99? If so, I want to know who decides which records to reish over there. I'm not kidding.

Peace,
    JRoot

I don't understand why you're trying to justify reissue LPs to me when I almost certainly own more of them than you do

What is Scorpio? Are they the company that makes semi-real looking reissues that DG sells for $8.99?

Yep

If so, I want to know who decides which records to reish over there. I'm not kidding.

I don't think they're hard to find

For the record I would just like to say fuck Scorpio. That is all.