I like common records. Isn't that embarrassing!

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    it is fun to find rare records....dont front like yall dont get hyped when you find a $200 joint for 2 bucks. its an archaeological, pull a needle out a haystack, one mans treasure, im salvaging something special, adrenaline rush. i malways amped to find raer. then, if it doesnt moves my bowels instead of moving me, i turn it into greenbacks or other records.

I think most of us are just like that. Raer doesn't necessarily mean it is good, and if it isn't it is time to sell that terd.

• One of the smaller minds on here seem to have been dissing this record as "common" or "just a Dilla sample" or similar dumb shit. I just wanted to stand up for this disc, which I would rather have than ten thousand trendy 45's and like Horselmats and whatnot, even if it's not as cool to floss on my myspace page yo. This record has great songs, great production, and on side-b where the songs stretch out, the record gets very much on some "proto-disco" type steelo. That's all, nothing else to say really, except that I think alot of people on here confuse "good music" with "rare records that I saw go for alot of money on popsike" and that's why the internet is gay to me. Go look for a Honus Wagner or something...

dionne warwick/e = I don't like her music or records regardless if they are worth 10 thousand or 10 dollars. I'd rather listen to Melba Moore.

but whatever floats your boat...

Horray for mint common records at $1 each no doubt, but I do not need 200,000 of them clogging up my wall unit.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

dionne warwick/e =

Did someone just diss "You're Gonna Need Me" as ?

• dionne warwick/e =

Did someone just diss "You're Gonna Need Me" as ?

Ok, so I said it.. just cause I knew people would fight the issue, damn can't get anything past you Spanky!!

• You need your own gremlin. quickly.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You need your own forum. quickly.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Not for anything, but I have never never ever even seen this record in the real world. Not at a show, not in a dollar bin hammered, nowhere. So I'm gonna go ahead and proclaim it

• suffice it to say, i still happily buy dollar records
    but dont diss the raer (whether it sucks or not)

HUGE though I have a rather large collection, I still feel it consists of a rather pedestrian batch of jawns.

• This is the Dionne for me

"You Can Have Him" is a song I can listen to a bazillion times and never tire of...amazing arrangement on that one, and Dionne seems to really let loose on it, and Dionne rarely "lets loose"

have a listen arranging

• and so many more.

the shame is crippling.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    When I lived in NY I had the luxury of being able to go through the 'stash' in the basement at TSL anytime I wanted. So I got to listen to a lot of raers and grails. And almost all of them failed to live up to the hype (and market price).
    There are so many great records to be had for under $10.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

sadly not a common record in my neck of the woods.

• sadly not a common record in my neck of the woods.

true...and niether is the Saints, we have a reish of the Saints at the shop and I think I am going to have to settle for that, because you just dont find OGs of that 'round here...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    It just strikes me as bizarre that we even have to qualify our appreciation of common records.

I can certainly understand being proud of a record just for its rarity... I mean, I wouldn't expect the owner of one of those million-dollar Honus Wagner rookie cards to be embarassed to own the card because they didn't like his style of ballplaying. That's inherent to collecting anything -- chasing those elusive items few people find, and dreaming of even finding them in a sleepy, dusty place for cheap.

But presumably everyone who got into record collecting got into it for a love of music. Records have music on them. Should I be embarassed for loving the Beatles? Would my copy of the White Album contain better music in those grooves if it had been limited to 500 copies, instead of having sold 10 million?

• I love some of the Average White Band and Heatwave albums.
    Common as you like and cheap as chips but better than a lot of expensive albums.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Not for anything, but I have never never ever even seen this record in the real world. Not at a show, not in a dollar bin hammered, nowhere. So I'm gonna go ahead and proclaim it

Me neither. I see a ton of Dionne records but never that one.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I see a ton of Dionne records but never that one.

Last year a friend asked about a Dionne Warwick song and in looking, I realized I have over 10 of her records. I like Dionne and all, but do I really need 10 of her records? I don't think so. Yeesh.

• This is the Dionne for me

"You Can Have Him" is a song I can listen to a bazillion times and never tire of...amazing arrangement on that one, and Dionne seems to really let loose on it, and Dionne rarely "lets loose"

have a listen arranging

This just made the sunshine brighter, the air fresher, and my soul lighter.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Not that I don't agree nor is this an attack on you or your post, but I find it amusing that a big name soul artist apprection thread, 9 out of 10 times, is prefaced with a strongly worded "Fuck a sample and rare record!" tirade.

Yeah, I started to say. Raer? Common? Why make a B.F.D. out of it either way? Terms like raer or common only make sense for those who are trying to find a copy.

There are just as many[/b] common records as[/b] great raers

seriously, don't go to extremes, people...yes, it's true that

I would never, ever trust the musical opinion of someone who owned Lee Moses or the like and didnt own any Curtis, Marvin, Gladys, Etta,Stevie, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, James Brown etc.

...but then again, i wouldnt trust someone who liked motown and stax but didnt dig deep enuff into the lesser-knowns. only one thing worse than "not into common shit," and that is "not into it because i never heard of it." cuts both ways.

we all clown the occasional rare record for not being worth the hype, but then there are some turds in the common sector too. (exhibit A: etta james...great singer, but she didnt always get the best material)

• NOT COMMON ANYWHERE!

Raer doesn't necessarily mean it is good

common doesnt either

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Honus Wagner rookie cards

LOL--I just assumed Honus Wagner was a country singer with some super rare records.

• Not for anything, but I have never never ever even seen this record in the real world. Not at a show, not in a dollar bin hammered, nowhere. So I'm gonna go ahead and proclaim it

This used to be a staple in the dollar bin where I work - then Dilla hit it. Suddenly, there were none to be found. Where did they all go? Cats were fiending for this record in Detroit. It is a really common record, at one point in time it used to get quarter binned or thrown out. Since the great Dilla rush of '06, I've seen about 10 copies come in, I just don't put them on the floor anymore for the flippers to get, I sell them to dudes who want them to listen to for the whopping price of... $1.

• There are just as many[/b] common records as[/b] great raers

seriously, don't go to extremes, people...yes, it's true that

I would never, ever trust the musical opinion of someone who owned Lee Moses or the like and didnt own any Curtis, Marvin, Gladys, Etta,Stevie, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, James Brown etc.

...but then again, i wouldnt trust someone who liked motown and stax but didnt dig deep enuff into the lesser-knowns. if you like something, you dont separate by "rare" and "common," just good and bad. we all clown the occasional rare record for not being worth the hype, but then there are some turds in the common sector too. (exhibit A: etta james...great singer, but she didnt always get the best material)

true, but a lot of music lovers arent into vinyl, where, of course, most of the deeper stuff resides...so they just dont know about it, because their music buying habits center around CDs. Even though the last 10 years we have seen TONS of the deep stuff get reissued and compilations have been put together, but to a lot of people, $20 is lot to gamble on something they have never heard of. I find that when people do hear the deeper stuff they get very excited by it and the fact that it is something that they have never heard of piques their interest even more. I have noticed this by doing a radio show, get lots of calls of "what is this? this is fantastic"...they just arent aware and the question is usually followed by a the follow up question, "where can I get this?"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This used to be a staple in the dollar bin where I work - then Dilla hit it. Suddenly, there were none to be found. Where did they all go? Cats were fiending for this record in Detroit. It is a really common record, at one point in time it used to get quarter binned or thrown out. Since the great Dilla rush of '06, I've seen about 10 copies come in, I just don't put them on the floor anymore for the flippers to get, I sell them to dudes who want them to listen to them for the whopping price of... $1.

Does anybody think perhaps the Usher/Just Blaze sample was a bigger factor in increasing demand for this record?

This used to be a staple in the dollar bin where I work - then Dilla hit it. Suddenly, there were none to be found. Where did they all go? Cats were fiending for this record in Detroit. It is a really common record, at one point in time it used to get quarter binned or thrown out. Since the great Dilla rush of '06, I've seen about 10 copies come in, I just don't put them on the floor anymore for the flippers to get, I sell them to dudes who want them to listen to them for the whopping price of... $1.

Does anybody think perhaps the Usher/Just Blaze sample was a bigger factor in increasing demand for this record?

it'd have to be, because dionne was essentially a has-been when she made that record...she'd just changed labels (from scepter to warners) and i dont think she was working with bacharach and david anymore...later she'd make a full-on comeback on arista, but that was a few years away...so why people would single out this particular mid-career album could only be because of a sample

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Not really. I'm doubting the Dilla factor too.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    it'd have to be, because dionne was essentially a has-been when she made that record...she'd just changed labels (from scepter to warners) and i dont think she was working with bacharach and david anymore...later she'd make a full-on comeback on arista, but that was a few years away...so why people would single out this particular mid-career album could only be because of a sample

only one thing worse than "not into common shit," and that is "not into it because i never heard of it."