NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I think it was Michelob or something. Not sure. The United Center is a nice place, but the beer selection was Guy that spilled it missed to the right a bit and got my lady too, so we both got a free drink from him out of it... She's a good sport, and I like a little trash talk, so no harm done.

Also, the Whiskey choices: VO and Jack? GARBAGE. I'll have to flask it next time I'm in that chilly city.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    We're talking about the #1 overall pick in the draft that after 5 years in the league hasn't averaged more than 10 points or 7 rebounds a game.

That spells bust!!

In a Sports Illustrated from a while back an NBA scout said that you could never count on Kwame finishing right in front of the basket, even if it were a dunk!

Well that SI dude obviously is a non-baller and a hater. And adds to the garbage that is SI news.

Most definitely! Because most NBA scouts are either ex-NBA palyers or coaches, or college coaches. And you play pick up basketball! You OBVIOUSLY know more about them, and the Lakers than they do. They're just a bunch of haters employed by an NBA team to take notes on other teams, their plays and players' strength and weaknesses! What the FUCK DO THEY KNOW!?!?!?!

And you obviously rely on Sports Illustrated for news. It's not like these dudes watch every single game of every single team out there. Often times it's impressionistic garbage, not much different from the perceptive average joe, who makes the blunt remark here and there.

And I just LOVE how you dudes say "This SI columnist said....". The fuck do I care. LOLzers.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    We're talking about the #1 overall pick in the draft that after 5 years in the league hasn't averaged more than 10 points or 7 rebounds a game.

That spells bust!!

In a Sports Illustrated from a while back an NBA scout said that you could never count on Kwame finishing right in front of the basket, even if it were a dunk!

Well that SI dude obviously is a non-baller and a hater. And adds to the garbage that is SI news.

Most definitely! Because most NBA scouts are either ex-NBA palyers or coaches, or college coaches. And you play pick up basketball! You OBVIOUSLY know more about them, and the Lakers than they do. They're just a bunch of haters employed by an NBA team to take notes on other teams, their plays and players' strength and weaknesses! What the FUCK DO THEY KNOW!?!?!?!

Go stuff it, you junior mint non-baller!

Yuichi and I will WORK YOU, SON!

You're a genius.

Junior mint Non-baller.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

That spells bust!!

And you obviously rely on Sports Illustrated for news. It's not like these dudes watch every single game of every single team out there. Often times it's impressionistic garbage, not much different from the perceptive average joe, who makes the blunt remark here and there.

And I just LOVE how you dudes say "This SI columnist said....". The fuck do I care. LOLzers.

You tell em. You're average playground Lakers fan DEFINITELY knows more than an ex-NBA player or coach who works as a scout for an NBA team! Go Lakers!

That spells bust!!

You tell em. You're average playground Lakers fan DEFINITELY knows more than an ex-NBA player or coach who works as a scout for an NBA team! Go Lakers!

That spells bust!!

No, you're just not listening like usual when it comes to criticism of the Lakers.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Motown....I agree with you 100%.....but man, how did MJ miss so bad on Kwame???

I have no idea. I assume they brought the kid in for try outs and saw a lot of raw potential that enticed them. Unforuntately, his talent has remained

Here's a run down of that year's draft with some of my own comments.

1. Washington
    Kwame Brown, F, Glynn Academy

BUST

2. L.A. Clippers
    Tyson Chandler, F, Dominguez HS
    (Rights traded to Chicago)

Still has no offensive game. Good rebounder.

3. Atlanta
    Pau Gasol, F, Barcelona
    (Rights traded to Memphis)

Atlanta should shoot themselves for this trade

4. Chicago
    Eddy Curry, F/C, Thornwood (Ill.) H.S.

Has found his offense. Does little else

5. Golden State
    Jason Richardson, G/F, Michigan State

Good player - star level.

6. Grizzlies
    Shane Battier, F, Duke

Good role player.

7. New Jersey
    Eddie Griffin, F, Seton Hall
    (Rights traded to Houston)

Bust

8. Cleveland
    DeSagana Diop, C, Oak Hill Academy (Va.)

Another bad pick for Cleveland. Turned out to be a role player.

9. Detroit
    Rodney White, F, Charlotte

Bust. Don't think he plays in the NBA anymore

10. Boston
    Joe Johnson, G/F, Arkansas

Great all-around player

11. Boston (from Denver)
    Kedrick Brown, F, Okaloosa-Walton CC (Fla.)

Still developing

12. Seattle
    Vladimir Radmanovic, F/C, FMP Zeleznik (Yugoslavia)

Air head. I got hurt! Well it was from snowboarding though!?!

13. Houston
    Richard Jefferson, F, Arizona
    (Rights traded to New Jersey)

Very good

14. Golden State (from Indiana)
    Troy Murphy, F, Notre Dame

Role player

15. Orlando
    Steven Hunter, C, DePaul

Role player

16. Charlotte
    Kirk Haston, F, Indiana

Don't know who this is

17. Toronto
    Michael Bradley, F, Villanova

Is he still playing in the NBA? If he is, he's glued to the bench

18. Houston (from N.Y. via Phoenix and Orlando)
    Jason Collins, C, Stanford

Role player

19. Portland
    Zach Randolph, F, Michigan State

Is having a great year on offense and rebounding

20. Cleveland (from Miami)
    Brendan Haywood, C, North Carolina
    (Rights traded to Orlando)

Role player

21. Boston (from Phoenix)
    Joseph Forte, G, North Carolina

Think he's out of the L

22. Orlando (from Milwaukee via Houston)
    Jeryl Sasser, G, Southern Methodist

Don't know him

23. Houston (from Dallas via Orlando)
    Brandon Armstrong, G, Pepperdine

Don't know him

24. Utah
    Raul Lopez, G, Real Madrid (Spain)

Dont' know him

25. Sacramento
    Gerald Wallace, F, Alabama

Great at driving to the basket and getting fouls.

26. Philadelphia
    Samuel Dalembert, C, Seton Hall

Role player

27. Grizzlies (from L.A. Lakers via N.Y.)
    Jamaal Tinsley, G, Iowa State
    (Rights traded to Indiana via Atlanta)

Decent, but not great PG

28. San Antonio
    Tony Parker, G, Paris Basket Racing (Paris)

One of the top point guards in the NBA

I'd agree with most of what you've said here....Joe Johnson is very good, not great....jeryl Sasser is a local Dallas kid who's brother Jason played a year or two with the mavs when they were really bad.....Tyson Chandler still has a chance to be very good...his rebounding is unfuckwithable.

I've always thought that the best place to pick in the draft was 15-25....I could put together a team of picks from that range and win the NBA title.....too many early 'can't miss" picks wind up being busts.

I'm gonna go put together my #15-#25 All-Star Team

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    that was a rough loss for your warriors yesterday...don nelson must be feeling t good about that incident

Mid Round All-Stars

Steve Nash - #15
    Ron Artest - #16
    Jermaine O'Neal - #17
    JR Smith - #18
    Tayshaun Prince - #23
    Boris Diaw - #21
    Josh Smith - #17
    Zach Randolph - #19
    Al Jefferson - #15
    Q Richardson - #18

Other than being a little weak in the back court this team has a good chance to win the NBA title.

Isn't it ironic that you dudes don't even watch the Lakers on a consistent basis? Kwame Brown has contributed (though still young and incosistent) on a team (that's still young and inconsistent) that's in the playoffs. When he's healthy, he holds his own. The coaching staff in LA is great, that's why there's still room for growth for him. enough said.

Zach Randolph, Joe Johnson, those are all great, whatever. Scorers that catch Motown's attention. They're not gonna win a championship any time soon, so I really don't pay attention.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Isn't it ironic that you dudes don't even watch the Lakers on a consistent basis? Kwame Brown has contributed (though still young and incosistent) on a team (that's still young and inconsistent) that's in the playoffs. When he's healthy, he holds his own. The coaching staff in LA is great, that's why there's still room for growth for him. enough said.

Maurice Evans.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Please don't use my name and "Laker's Fan" in the same sentence, M**k, unless you are saying: "I saw G**e outside the Staples Center beating up Lakers Fans", or something to that effect.

First and foremost, I'm one of those assholes who will pretty much watch and get emotionally invested in any basketball game not involving the Heat or the Spurs, (sorry, I hate boring and predictable ball.) I was in Chicago a little over a week ago, and the lady and I got tickets about 10 rows off the floor to see Bulls vs. Wizards. I was yelling at Scott Skiles that he was a control freak and an implicit racist, much to the dismay of people around me who eventually "accidentally" poured a beer on my head, which was pretty much what I expected going into it. And I didn't even really care who won the game.

Skiles is a control freak and a dick (from what i have heard), but a racist? He has a policy of not playing rookies, so maybe that will clear things up a bit. How many white guys even get minutes aside from Heinrich?

I like the recent trend of point guards becoming head coaches with little to no experience. Cheeks, Skiles, Avery Johnson, and I think Doc Rivers played point on occasion, right?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Zach Randolph, Joe Johnson, those are all great, whatever. Scorers that catch Motown's attention. They're not gonna win a championship any time soon, so I really don't pay attention.

And Kwame and the Lakers are?

that was a rough loss for your warriors yesterday...don nelson must be feeling t good about that incident

The Warriors season has BEEN over. When we had that horrible road trip right before the All-Star break that sealed the deal. We're the 2nd worst road team in the NBA, and now we have a what, 5 or 6 game losing streak? It just put the period at end of "we are losers." So disappointing, AGAIN, but that's what the Warriors are about. I'm still hoping for more changes in the off season with some wheeling and dealing to get the kind of team that Nelson wants. I'd expect Peitrus to be let go. Richardson or someone else needs to be traded as well to get us another quality big guy allowing Harrington to slide over to SF. I'm willing to trade anyone except Ellis and Biedrins, and perhaps Baron.

And don't your panties get all bunched up everytime anyone critcizes the Lakers? Ever heard of constructive criticism? Oh forgot, HATERS!

And don't your panties get all bunched up everytime anyone critcizes the Lakers? Ever heard of constructive criticism? Oh forgot, HATERS!

You're a funny ass dude.

1) What I said about Kwame is DA TRUTH. Now, go back and absorb what I wrote.

2) The only way all this judgemental garbage can remotly be considered "constructive critism" is if you or any of these other dudes were part of the Lakers staff. LOL Now get focused and go exercise.

I'm done. I win!

And Kwame and the Lakers are?

LISTEN UP YOU DUDES. I ain't mad at shit. I take the game in objectively and don't expect anything out of my Lakers squad because I know that they are young and therefore scared and inconsistent. Kwame Brown is like the scapegoat for all these hyped up NBA players that "never quite made it". It's like it empowers some of these sports journalists and fans who think they know the game. Shit, for all I know Kwame Brown has probably gotten more coverage than Kevin Garnett in the past 3 years.

I'm on the

The Golden Rule: You can only hate if you actually know shit. I think this applies to most things in life.

Check this out: Freshmen year dorms. Cocky ass Bay Area dude is all up in my face about how he hates the Lakers while we're watching a game. I tell him, you're a non-baller, shut up. He challenges me to a game of one-on-one. I swiftly beat him. He quickly rushes back to his room, and shuts up.

Yuichi......which one of the below players doesn't belong?

Allen Iverson
    Tim Duncan
    Elton Brand
    Kenyon Martin
    Kwame Brown
    Yao Ming
    Lebron James
    Dwight Howard

Yuichi.....even better.....being an L.A. guy I'd bet you would agree that Michael Olawokandi may be the biggest bust in NBA history(Forgive me LaRue Martin)...

Go compare the Candy Man's first 5 years vs. Kwame's....

If I was a laker fan I'd be ecstatic about Andrew Bynum, but I'd also admit that Kwame will never even come close to living up to his #1 pick status.

Heck, you couldn't get Milwaukee to trade Andrew friggin' Bogut for 3 Kwame's.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Monday, March 5, 2007

Artest arrested at home on domestic violence charges[/b]
    ESPN.com news services

Last month Ron Artest was cited for neglecting dogs on his property, and his troubles have now escalated. The Sacramento Kings star was arrested on Monday morning in his home on domestic violence charges, according to a multiple media reports.

Placer County Sheriff's officials announced the charges and scheduled a 7 p.m. ET news conference to discuss the incident.

"We are aware of the situation and are in the process of gathering information," Kings spokesman Troy Hanson told the Sacramento Bee.

According to the reports, police responded to a a 911 call at 9:23 a.m. PT, and deputies found the woman who made the call at Artest's Loomis, Calif., home. After interviewing the woman and the player separately, police arrested Artest.

He was charged at the Placer County Jail with domestic violence and using force or violence to prevent his victim from reporting a crime, the Bee reported, citing officials involved in the case.

In early February, it was revealed that Artest paid $1,942 in boarding and impound fees because some of his dogs had spent a total of 77 nights at the Placer County pound since July. Animal control officers had gone to Artest's five-acre estate seven times in that period in response to callers' complaints about dogs being loose or not being fed.

Artest completed anger management for a domestic violence charge in 2004, and the mother of his children was charged with the same crime for hitting Artest in 2002.

You're a funny ass dude.

1) What I said about Kwame is DA TRUTH. Now, go back and absorb what I wrote.

2) The only way all this judgemental garbage can remotly be considered "constructive critism" is if you or any of these other dudes were part of the Lakers staff. LOL Now get focused and go exercise.

I'm done. I win!

What's funny is your sophmoroic attempts at comebacks. Are you still in high school? At least mentally, because you sound like some of my 9th graders.

You have a fragile ego and some latent insecurities. Whenever someone criticizes the Lakers you start projecting your frustration and insecurities onto others. Projection is a basic Freudian concept when people don't accept that they might have issues and project their frustrations and problems onto others. It's not YOU that has a problem, no it's everyone ELSE that has problems. Hence your reponses in this excahange about Kwame Brown. (And let's not even go into the fact that you're getting into such a huff about KWAME fuckin BROWN!).

Here's your projection:

1) Sports Illustrated had a piece by an NBA scout critical of Kwame Brown

Yuichi: SI is no good, I don't have to listen to them.

2) NBA scout says that Kwame Brown can't be trusted to finish around the basket.

Yuichi: What does that guy know?! He doesn't know anything.

3) Strutters agree with criticism of Brown.

Yuichi: You guys don't even watch the Lakers, what do you know?

Not only that, you get so twisted you start making illogical statements and get your own arguments twisted. Hence this exchange.

1) NBA scout criticizes Brown

Yuichi: What does that Sports Illustrated writer know?

I guess criticism of the Lakers impairs your reading and comprehension abilities because that wasn't an SI writer, but an NBA scout.

Not only that, but several times you've told people that you know more about basketball and the NBA than just about anyone else on the Strut because you play pick up basketball. By definition then an NBA scout must know WAAAAYYYYY more than you do, because most NBA scouts are either ex-NBA players or coaches, which means that they'v either A) Played High School, College and NBA basketball or B) Played High School basketball, coached at the College or NBA level. Either you keep to your standards and have to admit that someone might know more about basketball than you do given their experience with the game or you can respond as you did:

"He's a hater!"

Awww, see I should've caught that one. Yes, he's a Lakers' hater because he criticized Kwame Brown. Completely valid argument there.

And this whole exchange is going to lead to another classic Yuichi comeback. Let me guess from your widerange of responses. You've gone through the Haters, you've gone through I know more than you do, I guess you're left with the last resort. "You're old!"

Priceless!

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

kwame brown? hahahaha

hey motown, you think nellie would really trade jrich? id much rather have him then stephen jackson. Seems premature to trade someone who had an injury plagued season after 4 straight seasons w/ 70+ games. he definately needs to improve his ball handling and free throws and defense but for the most part hes a much better 2 guard then jackson.

kwame brown? hahahaha

hey motown, you think nellie would really trade jrich? id much rather have him then stephen jackson. Seems premature to trade someone who had an injury plagued season after 4 straight seasons w/ 70+ games. he definately needs to improve his ball handling and free throws and defense but for the most part hes a much better 2 guard then jackson.

I love Richardson but we've got to be willing to give up people to get others.

Not only that, but if you think the future is Ellis eventually taking over the starting point guard duties than you also could think about trading Baron Davis. Also, I don't think Ellis will ever be a true point guard because he's a scorer first and foremost. Given that, the Warriors would probably need a 2-guard or SF that can handle the ball and intiaite the offense as well. Richardson isn't that guy.

Like I originally said, I would be up to trading anyone except Ellis and Biedrins right now. We still have to make a lot more moves to even become a legit 1st round playoff team IMO.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

Like I originally said, I would be up to trading anyone except Ellis and Biedrins right now. We still have to make a lot more moves to even become a legit 1st round playoff team IMO.

but is bierdrins worth 70million when it comes time to resign him? btw that guy gets called for some really bullshit fouls, this is his 2nd year in the league, youd think he'd get a break here and there.

also, will the warriors have the same problem they had w/ signing gilbert arenas with monta ellis? being both 2nd rounders.

espn.com has this draft scenario generator up right now, i clicked on the button to see if the warriors would come up w/ the number 1 draft pick. no such luck. the mock draft has them picking 9th and selecting the tall chinese kid. hmmmm

So guys, what's for dinner? Peace.

legit 1st round playoff team

My team is def a legit 1st round playoff team.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

Skiles is a control freak and a dick (from what i have heard), but a racist? He has a policy of not playing rookies, so maybe that will clear things up a bit. How many white guys even get minutes aside from Heinrich?

I like the recent trend of point guards becoming head coaches with little to no experience. Cheeks, Skiles, Avery Johnson, and I think Doc Rivers played point on occasion, right?

I said implicit racist. I don't really have any evidence to back that up, other than headbandgate and the NBA dress code rules, which are, implicitly racist. I do think however, that Skiles is a control freak, and that did affect the headband thing. Basically, I was just acting an ass at a game where I didn't care much about the outcome, so much as engage in some good natured shit talking with those around me. Shit was talked, beer was spilt, and I caught one of those Chicago Bulls t-shirts that the cheerleaders sling shot at everyone's head during tv-timeouts, so the lady has a new nightgown. All in all, a good night.