NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• 'Zo. The only dude in the league that challenges dunks.

I know you hate Sports Illustrated for whatever reason, but there was a very good article in there about a month ago about the dying art of blocking shots. They spent some time talking about the holy grail of blocks, the blocked dunk, and naturally, they asked 'Zo about it. He basically said that a big part of blocking dunks is the willingness to try even though it means you're going to get dunked on pretty nasty sometimes and that nowadays, dudes are way too image-conscious to make the effort. Very on point.

That's awesome.

Someone needs to check Zo. Someone that old and w/ his medical past should NOT be goin so hard. I think they made him half-cyborg in the surgery or something.

I don't know if he's truly DPotY but damn he's good.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    'Zo. The only dude in the league that challenges dunks.

I know you hate Sports Illustrated for whatever reason, but there was a very good article in there about a month ago about the dying art of blocking shots. They spent some time talking about the holy grail of blocks, the blocked dunk, and naturally, they asked 'Zo about it. He basically said that a big part of blocking dunks is the willingness to try even though it means you're going to get dunked on pretty nasty sometimes and that nowadays, dudes are way too image-conscious to make the effort. Very on point.

I didn't have to read SI to come up with insight like that. Word.

Him and Derick Fisher rank up there as two of the most respectable dudes in the league.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Melo in Danger of Being Benched

"Personally, I think 'Melo should forget about scoring," Karl said.

Dude needs to round his game out. This is his 4th year in the league, he's incredibly strong and athletic, we all know he can score points. His jump shot took a hit from his suspension and he's not been shooting as well as he was, and so now he's mad because that's the only aspect of his game that he truly excels in. He needs to get back to passing the ball more (like he was the week AI was out this season) and learn to get in there and play some defense. This team is still pretty much built around him, he's gotta stand up for his guys and get out there and work. And him and AI not meshing on the court, well, I don't know, that's debatable. Iverson doesn't play point guard, he doesn't get the ball in Melo's hands very often, so it's not really Melo's fault. If Iverson were distributing like a point guard should, Melo'd get more touches from him and people would see them as "meshing" better. But since AI is the same AI who played for Philly, we're not getting a lot of passing out of the guy, at least not as much as we should. If these folls would just round out their game a little, forget about scoring a little, worry more about finding the open man and making plays, stop expecting to get foul calls when driving to the basket, and start playing some tougher defense, they can get over this shit. Until then, it's gonna be teeter totter on the .500 mark.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    'Zo. The only dude in the league that challenges dunks.

That's awesome.

Someone needs to check Zo. Someone that old and w/ his medical past should NOT be goin so hard. I think they made him half-cyborg in the surgery or something.

I don't know if he's truly DPotY but damn he's good.

I wouldnt give him the DPotY but shit he should be comeback player of the year every year since coming back from that kidney thing. is there anybody who plays the game any harder or w/ so much intensity?

dude does get dunked on an awful lot but he gets caught helping out from the weakside and challenges everything.

oh btw, the league suspended kobe for tonites game!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Thanks for making me LOL at work, JP. The scary thing is I've been successfully able to sell multiple copies of that 12", and no, not to Yuichi, either.

• Zo's intensity in Game 6 of last year's Finals almost had me shook and I was watching on TV! He's crazy!

(I do realize I'm open to several Mavs related zingers here. Hit me w/ yr best shot holmeses. )

Thanks for making me LOL at work, JP. The scary thing is I've been successfully able to sell multiple copies of that 12", and no, not to Yuichi, either.

Dude, you had multiple copies and you didn't tell me?!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I MIGHT STILL HAVE ONE FOR YOU, Y

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

(I do realize I'm open to several Mavs related zingers here. Hit me w/ yr best shot holmeses. )

your owner looks like he has down syndrome.

your coach has a lot of teeth! haha

but seriously, didnt the mavs make a run at getting ZO a few years back? that wouldve been a major upgrade from what you have in the middle now!

It'll go on my wall for sure.

who knows they may now make a playoff push and go 20-0 and get knocked out of the first round. with ... the nuggets playing w/o any cohesion

I suppose we'll be seeing y'all tonight. I don't think you've beat us yet this year, except in the pre-season. Will tonight be your night?? That's dope Baron's back, the guy's a beast.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    How come whenever somebody talks trash about Kobe, you lash out at other players, instead of explaining why they're wrong about No. 24?

Didn't I explain this already. It's called PROJECTION.

How come whenever somebody talks trash about Kobe, you lash out at other players, instead of explaining why they're wrong about No. 24?

Didn't I explain this already. It's called PROJECTION.

I could talk about how he's highly self-conscious, a perfectionist, and one of the most misunderstood athletes in sports history. And how those attributes contribute to an overall negative image about him (not to mention, he's on the Lakers). But lately, he's silenced the haters too. And long time supporters like Mark Jackson, Scoop Jackson, and Steven A. Smith have had nothing but good things to say about dude. He has good intentions, works hard, and has flaws just like the rest of us. Only his are blown way out of proportion by the general public. He's asked Phil Jackson for leadership advice, and he's made conscious efforts to do just that. And it shows.

What's not to respect about that?

^^^^ This post will largely be ignored.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    And long time supporters like Mark Jackson, Scoop Jackson, and Steven A. Smith have had nothing but good things to say about dude.

Yuichi, Kobe is one of my favorite players in the League, but what kind of logic is this?

"People who have always jocked him continue to do so!"

And long time supporters like Mark Jackson, Scoop Jackson, and Steven A. Smith have had nothing but good things to say about dude.

Yuichi, Kobe is one of my favorite players in the League, but what kind of logic is this?

I just respect those dudes because they're not on some elitist, Greg "nobody" Anthony bullshit. I've read their articles, seen their interviews and listened to their commentary. Real men talking with compassion and understanding like that to a son. They don't get swept up in the media circus, I can appreciate that.

Real men talking with compassion and understanding like that to a son.

I see. ^^^^This is actually the view I take of my interaction with people on this board.

I see. ^^^^This is actually the view I take of my interaction with people on this board.

I commend your efforts to voluntarily take on this role. Thank you.

I just respect those dudes because they're not on some elitist, Greg "nobody" Anthony bullshit. I've read their articles, seen their interviews and listened to their commentary. Real men talking with compassion and understanding like that to a son. They don't get swept up in the media circus, I can appreciate that.

Why the hate for Greg Anthony? I think he's one of the better ex-player commentators. He actually talks about the game, as compared to Reggie Miller who doesn't seem to give you any more insight than the regular play by play guy does sitting next to him. I would lump Steve Kerr in with Miller as well.

• (I do realize I'm open to several Mavs related zingers here. Hit me w/ yr best shot holmeses. )

your owner looks like he has down syndrome.

your coach has a lot of teeth! haha

but seriously, didnt the mavs make a run at getting ZO a few years back? that wouldve been a major upgrade from what you have in the middle now!

They did make a run at him when he ended up signing with the Nets.

I think the Mavs centers are overlooked. As a pair they average 10 ppg, 13 rpg and 2.5 bpg. They are fairly woeful with their offensive dexterity and a lot of great looks to the Centers are left unfinished, but they hold it down for the most part on defense. What more does a team w/ Dirk, JET, Josh and Stack need? Diop is only 23 and still improving. Damps' contract is probably the source of all the maligning. It's an NBA contract though. There are many, MANY worse ones out there.

Maybe I'm biased, but I'm just glad to have two legit 7 footers and neither of them's name is Shawn Bradley aka Seabiscuit.

• Why the hate for Greg Anthony?

Agreed.

Don't understand the championing of "non-ballers" Scoop and SAS over Anthony. Anthony is one of the best talking heads out there. So is Mark Jackson. Very reasoned and non-biased in their commentaries. Can't say that about Scoop and SAS.

kerr can't help but show his lil' Spurs panties at every opportunity. Reggie is young yet in the game.

Magic is one of the worst.

• Real men talking with compassion and understanding like that to a son.

WHO KEEPS THROWING FAUX THESE ALLEY-OOPS???????

Why the hate for Greg Anthony? I think he's one of the better ex-player commentators. He actually talks about the game, as compared to Reggie Miller who doesn't seem to give you any more insight than the regular play by play guy does sitting next to him. I would lump Steve Kerr in with Miller as well.

True. Greg Anthony is aiite in my book, but he's in the Tim Legler category of know-it-alls who speaks with an air of arrogance.

Believe it or not, even though Charles comes off as a complete idiot often times, his insight can be on point.

You know, as much as people wanna stress the stats and what not, this game isn't about that. Ask Charles Barkley, Magic, the late Chick Hearn, Scoop Jackson, Steven A. Smith, Mark Jackson. (not attacking anybody, I truly believe this). These are the dudes that keep the SOUL in the game.[/b]

haha. that was me actually.

As a pair they average 10 ppg, 13 rpg and 2.5 bpg.

So they are each not quite half the man that Marcus Camby is?

• As a pair they average 10 ppg, 13 rpg and 2.5 bpg.

So they are each not quite half the man that Marcus Camby is?

I'd trade Damps and all the Mavs rookie scrubs for Camby in a heartbeat. He's that dood....when he's healthy, which sometimes is a dicey proposition.

Barkely is great and funny as hell. I like how every night he starts complaining about showing the highlights of the game that just ended. "We're watching this again? We just saw this game!" When he actually talks about the game he also gives good insight.

Kenny Smith, Greg Anthony also rate. Jim Barnett who is the local ex-NBA player for Warriors game is also great.

I actually like Magic as well. He just gets tripped up on his words sometimes.

Johnny "Red" Kerr who does the local Bulls games is one of the worst. He's actively rooting for the Bulls throughout the games. There are many more like him.

Yuichi and I are together averaging 30 ppt (points per thread), 15 rpt and 10 apt.

And we are styling on you.

Barkely is great and funny as hell. I like how every night he starts complaining about showing the highlights of the game that just ended. "We're watching this again? We just saw this game!" When he actually talks about the game he also gives good insight.

Kenny Smith, Greg Anthony also rate. Jim Barnett who is the local ex-NBA player for Warriors game is also great.

I actually like Magic as well. He just gets tripped up on his words sometimes.

Johnny "Red" Kerr who does the local Bulls games is one of the worst. He's actively rooting for the Bulls throughout the games. There are many more like him.

I'm cracking up at work here.........Glad we can agree on some things.

Yuichi and I are together averaging 30 ppt (points per thread), 15 rpt and 10 apt.

And we are styling on you.

Word, together we are like Jason Kidd without the domestic violence case.