NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

P.S. - Warriors vs. Wizards tonight!

We had a tough loss in Washington with a technical foul and personal foul at the very end that cost us the game. We need to win tonight to keep up with the Clippers who we're battling with for the 8th spot in the West.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a game! warriors overcome the stephen jackson ejection to throttle the wizards! too many high lights! baron playing like a stud, monta driving the lane like a madman and andris putting on a clinic at the free throw line late in the game!

the oracle arena was rocking!

they got lake show in la on sunday, im crossing my fingers kobe's shooting arm/hand falls off or something. spurs at home on the back to back and then the suns coming in on tuesday, that is a rough 4 days!

who knew we'd be taling playoffs and warriors this late in the season.

also, for bay area heads

img src=" http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/images/feb04/jones01-thumb.jpeg " alt="" />

everett and jones bbq is on point!!!

man today was a good day, baron davis fucked around and almost got a triple double.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    they got lake show in la on sunday, im crossing my fingers kobe's shooting arm/hand falls off or something.

He has 4 in a row of 50+. Chamberlain's record is 7. The next game will determine whether he wants this or not. The next 3 games are at Staples. This could be interesting.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Maybe we do need Oden. He would be a better center than Duckworth (god love him) ever was. But his injuries also let my mind drift to horrible and ugly places...places that rhyme with Fam Gooey.

JRoot

"The Portland Trailblazers select...Sam Bowie from the University of Kentucky." "The Chicago Bulls select...Michael Jordan from the University of North Carolina." What a difference one slot in the draft can make.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Portland is also the team that drafted 6:11 LaRue Martin with the overall #1 pick in the 70's....

Played 4 years and averaged 5 points and 4 boards a game.......double

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

P.S. - Warriors vs. Wizards tonight!

We had a tough loss in Washington with a technical foul and personal foul at the very end that cost us the game. We need to win tonight to keep up with the Clippers who we're battling with for the 8th spot in the West.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a game! warriors overcome the stephen jackson ejection to throttle the wizards! too many high lights! baron playing like a stud, monta driving the lane like a madman and andris putting on a clinic at the free throw line late in the game!

the oracle arena was rocking!

they got lake show in la on sunday, im crossing my fingers kobe's shooting arm/hand falls off or something. spurs at home on the back to back and then the suns coming in on tuesday, that is a rough 4 days!

who knew we'd be taling playoffs and warriors this late in the season.

also, for bay area heads

img src=" http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/images/feb04/jones01-thumb.jpeg " alt="" />

everett and jones bbq is on point!!!

man today was a good day, baron davis fucked around and almost got a triple double.

That was a good ass game! That Biendris cat is funky.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    In other news, the Nuggets show up in Toronto and decide NOT TO PLAY.

They started the game 0-15, ended the first quarter at something ugly like 15-36 and they just never got over it. Worst Nuggets game I've ever watched. I actually didn't watch past the half. That shit was embarrassing.

Props to Kobe though. Way to score those points.

• Nice to see another Blazer fan on the forum.

I tend to be a little hard on Z-Bo....but I feel that he just doesn???t fit into the long term plans of this team. Look how well we are playing without him (3-0!). Look at how well Aldridge is playing by Randolph not being in the line up. The black hole is gone......shots are opening up and plays can actually develop instead of ending when Zach throws up some dumb shit (although his dumb shit does get results sometimes).

I wont even touch the whole "I can't play on this road trip because I need to be in Indiana to mourn the death of a friend.....but somehow I've ended up in Las Vegas and Portland going to strip clubs (and not paying the bill).....but I still cant make this road trip."

That's bullshit if you ask me.

Oden a bust? It's hard to tell. I guess time will only tell.

On a side note.....Blazers are only 4 games out of the 8th spot. Although it is a long shot, this team will not just give up like a lot of the other teams not in the playoff picture are doing.

Like I said it is a long shot.....but weirder things have happened this season.

Go Blazers!

On a side note.....Blazers are only 4 games out of the 8th spot. Although it is a long shot, this team will not just give up like a lot of the other teams not in the playoff picture are doing.

Like I said it is a long shot.....but weirder things have happened this season.

Go Blazers!

if you want that 8th spot, yall gonna have to deal w/ baron, jrich, monta ellis, bierdrins and the rest of my GSW squad!

Oden seems like a more polished michael olawakandi and also looks like he's 50 years old. id ask for a birth certificate before drafting him.

• We blew y'all out a couple weeks ago in the Garden.

Granted no Davis...but still.

G State and the Blazers have one more left this season. Think it's the last game of the regular season.

We'll see.

I'm pretty sure Greg Oden is Michael Finley's Daddy!!!!

I'm pretty sure Greg Oden is Michael Finley's Daddy!!!!

Ha. Yea that beard....

shiiiet and lebron james is is grandfather too! haha

I'm checking this out for the first time....

This is it right here....

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The Clippers are on a 4 game winstreak and have now pulled a full game ahead of the Warriors for the 8th playoff spot. Next game for the Warriors is vs. the Lakers on the road, where we have the 2nd worst record in the NBA right now, plus Kobe's dropping 50 on people like it ain't no thing. It'll be a fight but we need this win to stay in contention.

Damn I need FSN. Mawfugga is going for it. 15 shot attempts in the first quarter. 8 made. 19 points. GO~!

We got slaughtered on the boards by something like 30 and blew a big lead. The worse part is that it now puts us 1 1/2 games behind the Clippers with the Spurs and I believe Suns coming up next. Ouch.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    End of the regular season slump, Suns are also hurting with excessive minutes played by the starters and D'antoni's lack of rotation. This next week will be good, leading up to APRIL 1ST.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    OH
    SCHNAAPS

(From Paul Coro's blog)

Traveling the sea to see Yi

03/24/2007 11:41 AM

Suns Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin and Suns Director of Player Personnel Vinny Del Negro were in China recently to scout Yi Jianlian, a 7-foot prospect who likely will be among the lottery draft picks.

He is not projected to be a top-three pick so he seemingly could fall into the range that the Suns will pick, as long as the Atlanta pick is conveyed to them by not falling in the top three.

Suns personnel can't comment on Yi but an Eastern Conference executive recently told me that Yi would be an ideal fit for Phoenix's style of play because his team is a run-and-gun type too. He obviously is not at the level of Dirk Nowitzki but that is the type of player that Yi projects to be at optimum.

Or you could go with this scouting report from Yao Ming in the Houston Chronicle: "He is very close to a player who is in the NBA. I would say Amare Stoudemire."

Um, stick to playing, Yao.

Yi has tremendous ball skills for a 7-footer, court smarts, shooting touch and runs well for his size. And it is often said that he has much more moxie than Yao Ming. He's not a brute of a defensive stalwart by any means but he may not turn out to be as soft as many assume him to be. There is some debate about his age, which the Chinese have at 19 while some believe he is as much as three years older. He looks 19.

His team, Guangdong, is currently down 3-1 to Bayi in the Chinese Basketball Association finals, which is being aired live on NBATV. Guangdong has won three straight national titles.

About eight NBA teams had representatives in China to watch the first couple games of the series. Here is a link to a youtube highlight compilation of Yi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6plJTvMW04

There was a little blurb on nba.com that Yi is a lot like Kevin Garnett, but the plays he's making remind me of THE MATRIX or dare I say, DIRK?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    There is some debate about his age, which the Chinese have at 19 while some believe he is as much as three years older. He looks 19.

Is it that hard to figure out how old somebody is? When in foreign countries, NBA scouts don't ask questions they just guess by looks?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

"The Portland Trailblazers select...Sam Bowie from the University of Kentucky." "The Chicago Bulls select...Michael Jordan from the University of North Carolina." What a difference one slot in the draft can make.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Portland is also the team that drafted 6:11 LaRue Martin with the overall #1 pick in the 70's....

Played 4 years and averaged 5 points and 4 boards a game.......double

Portland has made some bad draft picks. And in my opinion, both of the above were better picks than the shit they squandered on Sebastian Telfair three years ago. MEMO TO NBA TEAMS (ESPECIALLY PORTLAND): DO NOT DRAFT AN UNDERSIZED POINT GUARD OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. Two of Portland's best draft picks: Terry Porter from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point and Jerome Kersey from Longwood College.

As for the Blazers making the playoffs this year, I would be delighted with that result. But I don't see it happening. In order to make it, they'd practically have to win out the rest of the season and get a lot of help from the other contenders for the 8 spot. I think it'll be the Clippers (sorry GSW).

Go Blazers,
    JRoot

PS Has anyone seen Drexler on that reality TV dancing show? How are his smoov moves?

PPS Did Wilt Chamberlain really score 60+ thirty-two times? Heavens to Mergatroid.

Portland has made some bad draft picks. And in my opinion, both of the above were better picks than the shit they squandered on Sebastian Telfair three years ago. MEMO TO NBA TEAMS (ESPECIALLY PORTLAND): DO NOT DRAFT AN UNDERSIZED POINT GUARD OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. Two of Portland's best draft picks: Terry Porter from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point and Jerome Kersey from Longwood College.

As for the Blazers making the playoffs this year, I would be delighted with that result. But I don't see it happening. In order to make it, they'd practically have to win out the rest of the season and get a lot of help from the other contenders for the 8 spot. I think it'll be the Clippers (sorry GSW).

yeah, i think the Dubs have to come away w/ a win tonight against the Spurs otherwise with only like 10 games left, itll be an uphill battle.

Buck Williams is my dude! Loved his game, all about the box out, dont need to jump out the gym, just need to use timing and positioning to outrebound fools.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Buck Williams is my dude! Loved his game, all about the box out, dont need to jump out the gym, just need to use timing and positioning to outrebound fools.

On June 24, 1989, the Nets traded Williams to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for Sam Bowie and a draft pick.

Trailblazer fans everywhere rejoiced to see Bowie go

You could not ask for a more solid power forward than Buck Williams. Buck was a master of the fundamentals of the position. Play positional defense, use your body (not your arms) to get rebounds, and don't force anything that isn't there. I'll take 13 points and 10 rebounds a night from my 55 percent shooting power forward any day. (Buck's career numbers) And in the height of Blazermania, Buck led the NBA in shooting percentage two years running: 60.2 percent (1991) 60.4 percent (1992).

Other players who have led the league in field goal percentage by shooting 60 percent or above from the floor:

1967 Wilt Chamberlain, Phi .683
    1972 Wilt Chamberlain, LA .649
    1973 Wilt Chamberlain, LA .727 [/b] (whoa)
    1980 Cedric Maxwell, Bos .609
    1981 Artis Gilmore, Chi. .670
    1982 Artis Gilmore, Chi. .652
    1983 Artis Gilmore, SA .626
    1984 Artis Gilmore, SA .631
    1985 James Donaldson, LAC .637 (Clippers?)
    1986 Steve Johnson, SA .632
    1987 Kevin McHale, Bos .604 (I met McHale last Saturday morning)
    1988 Kevin McHale, Bos .604
    1990 Mark West, Pho. .625
    1991 Buck Williams, Port .602
    1992 Buck Williams, Port .604
    1995 Chris Gatling, G.St .633
    1997 Gheorghe Muresan, Wash .604 (Muresan? Really?)

I miss you Charles Linwood "Buck" Williams. Are there any power forwards in the league currently like Williams? Ben Wallace is kind of reminiscent of Buck, but Buck was better on the offensive end than Ben (and to be fair, Ben is better at the defensive end). Any other contenders?

I miss you Charles Linwood "Buck" Williams. Are there any power forwards in the league currently like Williams? Ben Wallace is kind of reminiscent of Buck, but Buck was better on the offensive end than Ben (and to be fair, Ben is better at the defensive end). Any other contenders?

David Lee seems to be the second coming. Fundamentally sound, probably a little more athletic then Buck but Lee seems to take good shots and has a knack for the ball.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Nah, it seems as though the Buck Williams style of power forward is on its way out. It's a shame, really--Buck was definitely that dude. Loved his game. His and Otis Thorpe's.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

David Lee seems to be the second coming. Fundamentally sound, probably a little more athletic then Buck but Lee seems to take good shots and has a knack for the ball.

Lee's line this year is remarkably Williams-esque. 11 boards, 10.5 points, 60 percent shooting, few turnovers (1-2/game). Who knew the second coming of Buck Williams would be a white dude who went to Florida.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

PPS Did Wilt Chamberlain really score 60+ thirty-two times? Heavens to Mergatroid.

This book provides some worthwhile background on Wilt's scoring achievements:

This book provides some worthwhile background on Wilt's scoring achievements:

For many years I worked with a guy who was on the University of Kansas team with Wilt.

His favorite story was about how Wilt caught a case of the "clap" and his team mates changed his nickname from "The Big Dipper" to "The Big Dripper"!!!

OH
    SCHNAAPS

(From Paul Coro's blog)

Traveling the sea to see Yi

03/24/2007 11:41 AM

Suns Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin and Suns Director of Player Personnel Vinny Del Negro were in China recently to scout Yi Jianlian, a 7-foot prospect who likely will be among the lottery draft picks.

He is not projected to be a top-three pick so he seemingly could fall into the range that the Suns will pick, as long as the Atlanta pick is conveyed to them by not falling in the top three.

Suns personnel can't comment on Yi but an Eastern Conference executive recently told me that Yi would be an ideal fit for Phoenix's style of play because his team is a run-and-gun type too. He obviously is not at the level of Dirk Nowitzki but that is the type of player that Yi projects to be at optimum.

Or you could go with this scouting report from Yao Ming in the Houston Chronicle: "He is very close to a player who is in the NBA. I would say Amare Stoudemire."

Um, stick to playing, Yao.

Yi has tremendous ball skills for a 7-footer, court smarts, shooting touch and runs well for his size. And it is often said that he has much more moxie than Yao Ming. He's not a brute of a defensive stalwart by any means but he may not turn out to be as soft as many assume him to be. There is some debate about his age, which the Chinese have at 19 while some believe he is as much as three years older. He looks 19.

His team, Guangdong, is currently down 3-1 to Bayi in the Chinese Basketball Association finals, which is being aired live on NBATV. Guangdong has won three straight national titles.

About eight NBA teams had representatives in China to watch the first couple games of the series. Here is a link to a youtube highlight compilation of Yi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6plJTvMW04

There was a little blurb on nba.com that Yi is a lot like Kevin Garnett, but the plays he's making remind me of THE MATRIX or dare I say, DIRK?

This is only based upon watching the Chinese national team play a couple times on TV, but the major drawback of most of their players seems to be their lack of speed. If this kid plans on playing on the perimeter he has to have some speed to get by people and also to play D.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I just now caught this part of that blog post:

Suns Director of Player Personnel Vinny Del Negro

Wow, the Vin-man! My HS basketball coach actually played against Vinny when they were in HS. Said Vinny was slow as hell, didn't really have much of a handle, and couldn't guard anybody. But if you gave him so much as an inch of space, he'd stick the J. I remember when he got pressed into PG duty with the Spurs.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This is only based upon watching the Chinese national team play a couple times on TV, but the major drawback of most of their players seems to be their lack of speed. If this kid plans on playing on the perimeter he has to have some speed to get by people and also to play D.

There was an interesting piece in the New Yorker a few years ago about the Chinese state's approach to identifying and developing basketball players. These kids are selected at a very young age, but the selection is made almost solely upon external physical characteristics--principally height. So somebody like AI, if born in China, would never be tapped to play ball because despite his freakish physical gifts, he is an unremarkable 6'0". Consequently, they end up with a bunch of lumbering giants (by Chinese standards) with no speed.

• This is only based upon watching the Chinese national team play a couple times on TV, but the major drawback of most of their players seems to be their lack of speed. If this kid plans on playing on the perimeter he has to have some speed to get by people and also to play D.

There was an interesting piece in the New Yorker a few years ago about the Chinese state's approach to identifying and developing basketball players. These kids are selected at a very young age, but the selection is made almost solely upon external physical characteristics--principally height. So somebody like AI, if born in China, would never be tapped to play ball because despite his freakish physical gifts, he is an unremarkable 6'0". Consequently, they end up with a bunch of lumbering giants (by Chinese standards) with no speed.

Man, I'm telling you, Wang Zsu Zsu is gonna break out soon...just watch!

Perhaps they should go to the Spartan method of selection....