NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Sucks to be a Kobe supporter don't it?

More hated than Bin Laden. Nobody talks about Bin Laden anymore.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

speaking of bin laden, werent the lake show going to bring back pippen? while there at it, bring back glen rice too!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Sucks to be a Kobe supporter don't it?

That because Bin Laden's jumper ain't hittin' no mo'.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yuichi, this should soothe your aching rump: Kobe's gonna go for at least 50 tonight. Maybe 60.

He's got 46 and most of the 4th.

Downside is they still might lose to the Grizz.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    where is latrell sprewell these days? selling rims in milwaukee?

i bet he regrets not taking that deal in minnesota, i hope he's feeding his family.

does he speak w/ pj carlisemo?
    '

He's getting sued by his wife for abuse I believe.

Motown,

I need to detach myself from a hometown hero?

I also need to completely ignore these malicious comments? RAPIST shouldn't be a word thrown around lightly.

You can tell me all the things I need to do, but your words carry no weight. And I've explained my stance, do you not acknowledge it?

Yuichi

Yuichi,

If you can't detach yourself from a hero, oh well.

I love the Warriors but I'm completely open to criticism. James Brown is my favorite artist but I'm completely aware of his shortcomings. etc. etc.

Sorry to be blunt. Are you really that thick?

"James Brown is a fuckin' crackhead",

"Jason Richardson is a bitch with some nice dunks".

If you were to hear this let's say every other week on the Strut, and not just from me, wouldn't that kinda make you an angry person?

Look, we just wasted another good 20min. I'm done.

I've been a Warriors fan for 15+ years. For the last 12 they have been shit. One of the worst NBA teams. I have heard shit talked about them and talked shit about them for those 12 years. Never did I take that as a personal attack upon myself. It's called maturity I think.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    "Kobe is a dick/rapist"[/b]

This was my statement. My full statement, which was made in the subject line of a message otherwise about the Portland Trailblazers, was:

Kobe is a dick/rapist who scores a lot of points.[/b]

That about sums up my feelings about Kobe Bryant. Kobe doesn't get any respect from me for anything other than his basketball talent, of which he has plenty. But I'm way past the point in my life where I can respect a person just because he can play ball. I have a wife. I have a daughter. I have a job.

Somebody once said that this forum is a like a community because we see each other in the real world and share NRR life stories and such. As a "community" member, do I really have to put up with comments like that on a consistent basis? It's nothing short of harrassment.[/b] If somebody doesn't like to hear something, don't do it. Your intent is very clear. Just (don't) do it.
    This forum is like a community, but it is not one where any individual member (outside of maybe Raj, who exercises a very light touch on the reins) gets to put a muzzle on the views of any other member, no matter how much they upset you. Sharing with the community the judgments that I have personally made about Kobe Bryant is no less valid than sharing with the community the judgments that you have personally made about Kobe Bryant. Our judgments are different. Exposing those points of difference is not harassment, it's dialogue. And for the record, I don't believe I have ever made my views about Kobe Bryant known before last night, so suggesting that I was somehow engaging in or intentionally perpetuating a line of harassment against you is preposterous and laughable. I have better things to do than harass dudes on the internet.

As for the actual rape charge against Kobe Bryant, I recognize that the criminal charges were dropped. But I also recognize that making a public allegation that someone has sexually assaulted you is never undertaken lightly. The way that a woman's entire personal life and sexual history gets subsequently scrutinized is nothing less than a deliberate effort to cast her as a harlot, a liar, and a seductress who only got what was coming to her. Now it's no picnic to be accused of sexual assault either, but the scrutiny a man receives for such conduct is minimal by comparison. And as I stated earlier, very many criminal cases that may have involved nonconsensual, forcible sex get dropped for want of an ability to prove the case. And very many more cases never get brought in the first place because the woman who has been victimized by sexual assault would rather not expose herself to public scrutiny, choosing instead to swallow the experience whole and let the rapist go unpunished.

So when it comes to picking a side, I tend to pick the side of the woman who cried rape over the side of the man who cried "She wanted it." That's my choice. No one on soulstrut will actually know what went on in that hotel room in Colorado, but we are each entitled to our best guess. My best guess is that she did not want to have sex with Kobe Bryant, but Kobe Bryant, who is a multi-millionaire very much accustomed to getting his way, would not take no for an answer.

Not coincidentally, I was in a heated argument with yoigotbeats. If someone can think they'll get away with popping their head in, at a very wrong time, and to post malicious shit like that, they're wrong.
    Not coincidentally, I did not read the lengthy discourse about the relative merits of Kobe Bryant's basketball talent and ability to shepherd a team to the title, and I had no idea that you were in the midst of a heated argument on the subject with yoigotbeats (apparently at the time, neither did yoigotbeats, as he was out to dinner with his wife). All I saw in the prevoius ten posts or so was KOBE KOBE KOBE KOBE KOBE, so I shared my view about Kobe and tried to steer the substance of the conversation in another direction, towards the only NBA team that I actually care about: the Portland Trailblazers.

It is unlikely that I will make any more flippant remarks about Kobe Bryant, mostly because it's not my style. But neither will I refrain from sharing my considered views that he is a very talented basketball player and, based on my admittedly much more limited knowledge of his personal conduct, a very arrogant, priggish human being that I would not trust alone with my wife, daughter, sister, or any of my female friends; in short, a Dick.

I???m sorry for wyling out and making a point. I doubt I???ll receive an apology from a specific strutter though.
    I suspect that I'm the specific strutter you had in mind, and no you won't receive an apology from me. I don't say things that I don't mean, and I do think before I post. In fact, it was my motto, since probably before you joined soulstrut.

I expect that neither will I receive an apology from you, other than one that is addressed to "everyone participating in this thread" that you are sorry for "wyling out and making a point." Nor do I particularly want one.

But for the record, it was me you called a total piece of shit, a faggot, a fuckin' faggot, and a bitch. It was not "everyone participating in this thread." It was me.

And if you were making a point, I'm still not sure what it was, other than to call me those delicious names.

Best,
    JRoot

If you wanna talk about a sexual assault case that never fully materialized and didn't see credible evidence for, you can take that shit elsewhere. Don't be an a-hole and ruin someone's day by coming in here all of a sudden and spouting OFFENSIVE SHIT, THAT THERE WAS NO CREDIBLE EVIDENCE FOR. Once again, I would like to stress that RAPIST is not a word that should be thrown around easily.[/b]

Are you really that thick?

If you were to hear this let's say every other week on the Strut, from every other person in this thread, wouldn't that kinda make you an angry person?

If you were to hear this let's say every other week on the Strut, from every other person in this thread, wouldn't that kinda make you an angry person?

Yuichi, this should soothe your aching rump: Kobe's gonna go for at least 50 tonight. Maybe 60.

Watup OG,

60, the win, and a page in history. I'll take that.

Yuichi

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I express my views clearly and cogently, and because they apparently differ from yours, it ruins your day? I don't understand what is so offensive about my views on Mr. Bryant. And I am not pulling your leg, I honestly don't. I don't spout off about Kobe every other day, for good or for ill, I happen to have a very dim view of him as a human being.

And it's not just the sexual assault (though that is a big part of it). He comes across in all non-on-the-court phases of his life as a petulant brat. He didn't get along with Shaq? Well, sorry charlie, but Shaq made Kobe a better player. And Kobe made Shaq a better player. And they won three championships together.

And at the end of the day, they're BOTH great players. But if it came to choosing one over the other, I'd take Shaq. Not because he's a better player, being that they are at different positions, its impossible to say, but because he has a better head on his shoulders. He has a sense of humor. He is willing to take a pay cut to surround himself with winning talent. And he doesn't get caught cheating on his wife.

But seriously, I'm not trying to ruin your day. I just have a different perspective. In case you hadn't seen, your boy went for 60 today. And the Lakers narrowly defeated the Grizz. That should put a smile on your face.

And the Blazers beat the Knicks at the Garden by 6 for their second straight victory. That puts a smile on mine. (and a frown on g****** - sorry, for you man).

Peace,
    JRoot

Yuichi,

You're like 20 something right? Please try to look back at what you've been posting and saying for the last couple days. You've said the following:

1) Kobe is your hero and you cannot separate your own personal feelings from him.

2) You feel under attack by a world filled with Kobe haters

3) If too many people talk bad about Kobe at the same time it ruins your day and you gets you pissed off.

4) Such a pissed off state makes you call people faggots to make your point.

5) You see no difference between calling Kobe a bitch and someone on Soulstrut a faggot

Basically you are saying that you cannot have a reasonable/rational conversation about Kobe and the Lakers unless people agree with you because you take it as a personal attack.

If it is at all possible try to REFLECT[/b] upon your actions.

Joel,

Since when did you become the moral authority around here? And who are you to decide which words are appropriate to use, and which are not. I guess dick/bitch/rapist are all good right?

Finally, you seem to be an emotionless bitter old man, but please make an effort to understand where i'm coming from.

Yuichi

p.s. You can get the last word if you wish.

p.s.s. Please do not get into other people's business in the future. You've made matters much worse.

p.s.s.s. Are you as bitter and adamant as that bulldog in you avatar? If so, don't talk to me.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    I express my views clearly and cogently.... I happen to have a very dim view of him as a human being.

dude.....stop.

Sorry dudes, I couldn't resist. Aside from all negatives, can we just sit back and enjoy some historical scoring performances? Just puts a smile on a kid's face. I still love this game.

From NBA.com
    The Ultimate Scorer?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    As you all can see, it is not easy being a Basketball Scientist. You don't know the pain he feels.

Who's gonna take the weight?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If you can't detach yourself from a hero, oh well.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Watup OG,

60, the win, and a page in history. I'll take that.

Yuichi

First to do it since Jordan. Nice job, Kobe. Looks like he's gonna lock in that scoring title this year. He deserves it.

I'm more interested in how the Lakers will perform as a team in the playoffs. They aren't gonna win a 7 game series against the Spurs, Suns, or Rockets with Kobe and Odom being the only ones playing. Where's Walton? Is he stepping up lately or what? Are Farmar and Bynum still getting minutes?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ^^^^Awesome photo. Looks like plenty of fine seats are still available in Memphis.

The Bulls v. Nuggets game last night was a good one. Haven't seen much national hype or anything but a great game in the Chi.

The A.I./Melo duo could not hold down our own superstar team of Deng/Gordon. Not to mention young Tyrus Thomas jumping higher than anyone-slash-everyone.

The Nuggs have impressive ball movement. Lazer passes, lots of lobs. But their turnovers...

Is the correct pronounciation of Nene, NA-nay? I always said it the way I pronounce my girlfriend's sister's name.

I'm more interested in how the Lakers will perform as a team in the playoffs. They aren't gonna win a 7 game series against the Spurs, Suns, or Rockets with Kobe and Odom being the only ones playing. Where's Walton? Is he stepping up lately or what? Are Farmar and Bynum still getting minutes?

Walton and Odom played last night. I they remain health and in the line up until the playoffs, dont sleep on the Lakers. At best they could be spoilers.
    Cats keep thinkin that the top four teams are automatically advancing to the second round because of thier superior regular season records. I think one of these mo fuckas is gonna get surprised in the first round.

• I can tell I'm going to be hating Jordan Farmar for a long time.

• _JULIUS__JULIUS_ 76 Posts

Walton and Odom played last night. I they remain health and in the line up until the playoffs, dont sleep on the Lakers. At best they could be spoilers.
    Cats keep thinkin that the top four teams are automatically advancing to the second round because of thier superior regular season records. I think one of these mo fuckas is gonna get surprised in the first round.
    They will probably face San Antonio or Phoenix in the first round. Honestly i don't see how they could win more than one or two games, even with the whole team healthy.

^^^^Awesome photo. Looks like plenty of fine seats are still available in Memphis.

The Bulls v. Nuggets game last night was a good one. Haven't seen much national hype or anything but a great game in the Chi.

The A.I./Melo duo could not hold down our own superstar team of Deng/Gordon. Not to mention young Tyrus Thomas jumping higher than anyone-slash-everyone.

The Nuggs have impressive ball movement. Lazer passes, lots of lobs. But their turnovers...

Is the correct pronounciation of Nene, NA-nay? I always said it the way I pronounce my girlfriend's sister's name.

Most of the people I know pronounce it "Nay Nay" but most announcers pronounce it "ne-NAY".

As for AI/Melo not being able to handle Deng/Gordon, that wasn't really the case. AI/Melo outscored Deng/Gordon by about 12 points. But you did hit the nail on the head, it was our turnovers that fucked us last night. Nene had 7 turnovers, AI had 5. That's not acceptable. Nene was just thorwing passes out of bounds left and right. That shit is frustrating to watch. And I won't use the excuse of it being the second of a back 2 back.

Tyrus made a lucky tip in at the end to win. Shit, I think Melo might have actually had a piece of that tip. It was a pretty good game though. Ben Gordon is a beast. I'd like to see him make it to the all-star level. And Tyrus is a flyer. Kid gets UP there!

I thought we would match up well against Chicago. 1-1 against them this season. I can live with that.

Edit: I was mixed up, that Chi game was the 1st of a back2back, we play TO tonight.

• Z-Bo and defense?

You ever seen his game?

Kid has NEVER played D, is a fucking black hole, and cant even jump over a telephone book. His stats are great don???t get me wrong...but they don???t mean shit when you aint winning. I welcome that Lewis/Z-Bo trade with open arms!

This season is no collapse. It's a team (that the average age is 22) that can???t hold a lead going into the fourth.

Here's an interesting fact I read: The Blazers have only lost by 12 or more 4 times all season. 4 FUCKING TIMES?!?

The Blazers have also played a franchise record 18 overtime games this season.

This team has played with heart ALL season. Unfortunately we have a black hole on the team that can???t get his teammates involved. Hopefully, next season that will no longer be a problem.

Trust me, the Blazers will be back among the elite teams out West. 3-4 years tops.

Trust me, the Blazers will be back among the elite teams out West. 3-4 years tops.

Y'all should probably get somethin' good out of this next draft too, right? If this draft is as deep as they say, 2-4 years from now we could be seeing a lot of younger teams taking over.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Most of the people I know pronounce it "Nay Nay" but most announcers pronounce it "ne-NAY".

As for AI/Melo not being able to handle Deng/Gordon, that wasn't really the case. AI/Melo outscored Deng/Gordon by about 12 points. But you did hit the nail on the head, it was our turnovers that fucked us last night. Nene had 7 turnovers, AI had 5. That's not acceptable. Nene was just thorwing passes out of bounds left and right. That shit is frustrating to watch. And I won't use the excuse of it being the second of a back 2 back.

Tyrus made a lucky tip in at the end to win. Shit, I think Melo might have actually had a piece of that tip. It was a pretty good game though. Ben Gordon is a beast. I'd like to see him make it to the all-star level. And Tyrus is a flyer. Kid gets UP there!

I thought we would match up well against Chicago. 1-1 against them this season. I can live with that.

No doubt. I was being sarcastic about the Gordon/Deng duo. The Bulls radio guy was right when he said the Bulls "escaped" with a win.

Another thing: Inarguably, Ben Wallace has declined this year, possibly because of his new surroundings, possibly because he's getting old. Still this is kind of impressive:

With a second-quarter steal, Ben Wallace became the fifth player in NBA history to have at least 100 blocks and 100 steals in seven straight seasons.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

thomas got the tip clean. its a good look for him. he is a nice kid and got some heat earlier this year over those dunk contest comments. i think the bulls should be solid for a while. they are gradually putting together all of the pieces.

I was a big Ben Wallace fan when he was with D-town, and when I heard he was going to Chicago, I was excited. It's been sort of a let down so far. I think the problem is, he's a straight up defender, and I think the Bulls need a center who contributes more on offense in the low post.

thomas got the tip clean. its a good look for him. he is a nice kid and got some heat earlier this year over those dunk contest comments. i think the bulls should be solid for a while. they are gradually putting together all of the pieces.

Yeah you're right, Tyrus did have a clean tip. Melo tipped the rebound to him, he was in the right place at the right time. I was half in the bag by the end of the game. Caught a better angle on the replay.