NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    His parents were eating the Kobe beef (the finest steak in Japan), and they liked it so much that they named him that.

Kobe beef = exceedingly popular around here, too

Without question, OG.

At Londell's....?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Besides, what other true center is in the West?

Duh, dude. Only the BEST true center in the West!

Yeah, I guess he's a center. But I don't get the impression that he's the oldschool grind-it-out with his back to the basket type player. nawmean? He can get blocks and boards like none other though.

His parents were eating the Kobe beef (the finest steak in Japan), and they liked it so much that they named him that.

Kobe beef = exceedingly popular around here, too

Without question, OG.

At Londell's....?

was Londell's?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    what other true center is in the West?

Hey Rock, this looks like a prelude to a ONE-HANDED DUNK to me!

He probably back-rimmed it missed the rim completely.

I KEED.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Yeah, I guess he's a center. But I don't get the impression that he's the oldschool grind-it-out with his back to the basket type player. nawmean? He can get blocks and boards like none other though.

Camby is part of the shift of Power Forwards to Center due to the lack of "true" pivots.
    Amare Stoudamire is in the same catagory.

• Probably one of the easiest targets in the NBA, Erick Dampier is.

But fuck it, I ride hard for that dude. He's way better than people either know or want to give him credit for. He's fierce on the boards and he will not back down from anyone.

I think his reaction to the "flagrant foul" on Rip Hamilton last week says it all, didn't even look at the dude the whole time. He gives a fuck.

MISSISSIPPI REPRESENT

Probably one of the easiest targets in the NBA, Erick Dampier is.

But fuck it, I ride hard for that dude. He's way better than people either know or want to give him credit for. He's fierce on the boards and he will not back down from anyone.

I think his reaction to the "flagrant foul" on Rip Hamilton last week says it all, didn't even look at the dude the whole time. He gives a fuck.

MISSISSIPPI REPRESENT

You mean, Erika? (as quoted by one of the top 50 GOAT)

I ride hard

Camby is part of the shift of Power Forwards to Center due to the lack of "true" pivots.
    Amare Stoudamire is in the same catagory.

Batmon, you've been pretty focused lately. This is excellent analysis. Letter Grade, A.

• You mean, Erika? (as quoted by one of the top 50 GOAT)

I ride hard

Okay, first off, I don't acknowledge that particular piece of wit brought to you by the one the Big Aristotle.

Second, I pride myself on being on top of my "No ayo" game. "I ride hard" is used on here a lot, so I call bullshit on the Pasue. Can I get a ruling on this?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I rip on Damp for being klutzy on the offensive end and for overvaluing himself quite a bit, but seriously, I think he's a decent player. Good interior defender/protector of the paint, a solid shot-blocking threat, hits the boards hard. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

He had problems in Golden State because people--including Dampier himself--expected too much of him. He's just not going to be a 20 and 10 player. But in Dallas, where he doesn't really need to score much for the team to win, he can be an important piece of the puzzle.

haha.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

You mean, Erika? (as quoted by one of the top 50 GOAT)

I ride hard

Okay, first off, I don't acknowledge that particular piece of wit brought to you by the one the Big Aristotle.

Second, I pride myself on being on top of my "No ayo" game. "I ride hard" is used on here a lot, so I call bullshit on the Pasue. Can I get a ruling on this?

I think the "AYO" is off limits in the basketball thread - there are just too many things people say about these grown men that could be construed as "AYO" so it's best to just acknowledge that none of us are using any of these seemingly questionable terms or phrases in reference to homosexual attraction or anything like that (no homo).

I rip on Damp for being klutzy on the offensive end and for overvaluing himself quite a bit, but seriously, I think he's a decent player. Good interior defender/protector of the paint, a solid shot-blocking threat, hits the boards hard. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

He had problems in Golden State because people--including Dampier himself--expected too much of him. He's just not going to be a 20 and 10 player. But in Dallas, where he doesn't really need to score much for the team to win, he can be an important piece of the puzzle.

This is good analysis too. A- He is a decent player that solidifies the interior.

But in Dallas, where he doesn't really need to score much for the team to win, he can be an important piece of the puzzle.

That's what I think Ben Wallace needs, a team where he can focus on defense and let others worry about the scoring.

• But in Dallas, where he doesn't really need to score much for the team to win, he can be an important piece of the puzzle.

That's what I think Ben Wallace needs, a team where he can focus on defense and let others worry about the scoring.

A team like, say......the Pistons?

I've been a life-long fan, but this shit is just utterly ridiculous and insane. I just caught the highlights right now. To me, these 60pts are more impressive than the 81....spin moves, 30fters, and juking 2, 3, or 4 defenders. This one's got it all. Remember this is Memphis, you hear an awful lot of "Ohh!!!"s. This no good prick is in a ZONE right now.

I am officially a nut-hugger.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

fool! recognize the two headed monster that is...

• I rip on Damp for being klutzy on the offensive end and for overvaluing himself quite a bit

Yes, we often refer to him as "Hands of Stone" Dampier.

He played himself a teensy bit w/ that "second to Shaq" comment a while back.

Hopefully by the end of the year he'll be known as "starting center for a championship team" and can sit among the ranks of cats like Will Perdue.

Hopefully by the end of the year he'll be known as "starting center for a championship team" and can sit among the ranks of cats like Will Perdue.

and Luc Longley.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

and Luc Longley.

And Bill "saucy baseline J" Cartwright

juking 2, 3, or 4 defenders.

Kobe is great at this. Allen Iverson is also great at this. I would say they are possibly the top 2 at running right through multuiple defenders.

Yo dudes, it's FRIDAY. Which means I'm gonna go to the gym tonight and ball up some adolescents to this track right here:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Friday, March 23, 2007
    Knicks sign Kentucky center Morris to 2-year deal[/b]
    ESPN.com

The New York Knicks signed Kentucky center Randolph Morris, who played his junior season as an NBA free agent, to a contract Friday.

The Knicks did not announce terms of the signing, but an NBA source told ESPN Insider Chad Ford that it is a two-year deal worth $1.6 million.

Randolph declared himself eligible for the 2005 NBA draft after his freshman season at Kentucky, but he did not sign with an agent. After going undrafted, he returned for his sophomore and junior seasons under Tubby Smith. Morris sat out the first 14 games of his sophomore season because of an NCAA penalty related to contact with an agent.

Due to a provision in the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, Morris is prohibited from re-entering the draft and had free agent status throughout the 2006-07 season at Kentucky.

According to the NBA rookie contract scale, Morris' $1.6 million deal equates to first-round money; his salary is on par with what the 26th pick received in last year's draft and what the 30th pick will sign for in 2007.

According to Kentucky, Morris met with athletic director Mitch Barnhart on Thursday night and was asked to wait until Smith's replacement was hired before deciding whether to stay in school. A Kentucky spokesperson told ESPN.com that Morris told Barnhart he would do that.

On Friday, Morris apparently changed his mind. Morris told Barnhart on Friday afternoon that he had signed with the Knicks, Kentucky spokesperson Scott Stricklin confirmed for ESPN.com.

Kentucky is now trying to figure out how the departure of Morris, who averaged 16.1 points and 7.8 rebounds a game this season for the Wildcats, before spring semester's end will affect the school's academic progress report.

Under the new APR, schools are subject to scholarship penalties if student-athletes leave early and not in good academic standing. Withdrawing from school before the end of a semester can seriously impede a team's GPA and academic standing. To that end, Texas and Ohio State are taking steps to ensure freshmen Kevin Durant and Greg Oden will finish the spring semester.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Re: The Bulls

Elton Brand would've been perfect for them over all of the others mentioned.

After him Tyson Chandler would've probably been better than Wallace, especially in the long run because he's much younger. Chandler is a very good rebounder, blocks shots andis very athletic, can run the floor. His offense however is no better than dunks and put backs. A player that's been in the league that long and hasn't developed his offense probably never will. (Right now he's averaging 9.1 ppg)

Still, Ben Wallace will pay benefits for the Bulls come playoff time. When people want to critique the Bulls they talk about how they are too much of a jump shooting team, but so much of the East is a toss up that that's good enough to get them past the first round depending upon the match up.

Re: The Lakers and Western Playoffs in general

I can't see them winning a 7 game series against the Suns and Mavs. Their offenses are simply too good to be stopped by the Lakers even if they're able to slow the game down and play more half court.

The Spurs however are the vulnerable ones amongst the top 3 in the West. They are a step behind PHX and DAL. It doesn't seem like their defense is as good as it use to be and they don't have as many offensive options as the other two top teams in the West.

P.S. - Warriors vs. Wizards tonight!

We had a tough loss in Washington with a technical foul and personal foul at the very end that cost us the game. We need to win tonight to keep up with the Clippers who we're battling with for the 8th spot in the West.

Mawfucka is going for it. Kobe Watch indeed.

John Ireland (LA reporter): "Before Kobe was just Kobe, averaging 20 or 30 a game, now he's scoring 50 a game. What happened? Was it just the case of you giving him the green light to shoot in the first quarter?"

Phil Jackson: "Do you remember a few weeks back, those suspensions? Whatever motivation there was, he just plays with a lot of passion." (smiles)

50! Only Wilt and Him.

• Pretty nasty. I shoulda watched more of that game instead of the dismantling of Paul Pierce and the Celtics.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Word is that Randolph, Miles, Magloire and our first round pick (i'm thinking it will be somewhere between 4 and 7) are all bait to trade up in the draft.

Just think of this back court.....Aldridge, Lewis (crossing my fingers) and Oden (if we can trade up the draft). ..... Roy and Jack in the the front.

I may be alone on this, but I don't think Oden is all that. I see Oden as more of a Dikembe Mutombo style player than a truly dominant center. Mutombo, at the top of his game, was a great shot blocker and a pretty good scorer. Oden will be the same. Watch for his pro career to be plagued with injury problems (wrist problems tend to recur), and I would be happy if the Blazers did NOT draft him.

I would also be happy if we traded Darius Miles, although he is worth next to nothing on the trade market right now. Is the Pryz' contract up? Can we trade him? The pryz was a big fizz this year. He was injured some, but overall, I say dump him if we can get good value.

I don't have quite as dim a view of Randolph, but it drives me up the wall when a player can't get back on defense. I mean up the wall. Your job is to score points on one end and play defense on the other end. You get paid lots of money to do your job. Do your job.

Brandon Roy should be rookie of the year. The guy has had a great year.

Noah, McRoberts and Horford would be a good pick

I am seeing the Blazers of today as the Blazers that had just drafted Drexler. Give them a few years to coalesce and they'll be nasty. Maybe we do need Oden. He would be a better center than Duckworth (god love him) ever was. But his injuries also let my mind drift to horrible and ugly places...places that rhyme with Fam Gooey.

Go Blazers. And thanks for sharing your views.
    JRoot

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Maybe we do need Oden. He would be a better center than Duckworth (god love him) ever was. But his injuries also let my mind drift to horrible and ugly places...places that rhyme with Fam Gooey.

JRoot

"The Portland Trailblazers select...Sam Bowie from the University of Kentucky." "The Chicago Bulls select...Michael Jordan from the University of North Carolina." What a difference one slot in the draft can make.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Maybe we do need Oden. He would be a better center than Duckworth (god love him) ever was. But his injuries also let my mind drift to horrible and ugly places...places that rhyme with Fam Gooey.

JRoot

"The Portland Trailblazers select...Sam Bowie from the University of Kentucky." "The Chicago Bulls select...Michael Jordan from the University of North Carolina." What a difference one slot in the draft can make.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeah, taking Bowie when Jordan was still on the board ranks as one of the most suspect moves in NBA draft history. But I stand by it. Jordan is a helluva lot better than Bowie ever was, but he played the same position as Clyde Drexler. Now Jordan is BETTER than Drexler, but at the time, Drexler was cemented at the forward spot that Jordan would occupy for Chicago, so Portland didn't need Jordan. They needed a center. Sam Bowie just didn't turn out to have a leg to stand on for more than 12 games a season. Broken legs Bowie we called him.

Oh well,
    JRoot