NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• Don't forget though, if we didn???t get Sebastian Telfair.........we may have never gotten B-Roy.

Portland definitely hasn???t done to well in selecting their draft picks. Walton, Lucas, Petrie, Porter, Kersey, Uncle Cliffy, Petro, Sabonis and Drexler were all exceptions though. I may be forgetting a few.

Can???t forget Moses Malone and Jermaine O'Neal. To bad we decided not to keep those guys around.

I account it to lack of 'Basketball' people in the front office. Allen, Glickman and Trader Bob were great at business moves.....not basketball moves.

I have a feeling times are changing though.

P.S. Fuck Zach. We would of won that T???Wolves game if his fat ass hadn???t of had that turn over. I really wish McMillan would have benched him for the shit he pulled???..send him a little message. You know he is gonna pull that shit again.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

This is only based upon watching the Chinese national team play a couple times on TV, but the major drawback of most of their players seems to be their lack of speed. If this kid plans on playing on the perimeter he has to have some speed to get by people and also to play D.

There was an interesting piece in the New Yorker a few years ago about the Chinese state's approach to identifying and developing basketball players. These kids are selected at a very young age, but the selection is made almost solely upon external physical characteristics--principally height. So somebody like AI, if born in China, would never be tapped to play ball because despite his freakish physical gifts, he is an unremarkable 6'0". Consequently, they end up with a bunch of lumbering giants (by Chinese standards) with no speed.

That's a shame, because the Chinese can be incredibly athletic as well.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This is only based upon watching the Chinese national team play a couple times on TV, but the major drawback of most of their players seems to be their lack of speed. If this kid plans on playing on the perimeter he has to have some speed to get by people and also to play D.

There was an interesting piece in the New Yorker a few years ago about the Chinese state's approach to identifying and developing basketball players. These kids are selected at a very young age, but the selection is made almost solely upon external physical characteristics--principally height. So somebody like AI, if born in China, would never be tapped to play ball because despite his freakish physical gifts, he is an unremarkable 6'0". Consequently, they end up with a bunch of lumbering giants (by Chinese standards) with no speed.

That's a shame, because the Chinese can be incredibly athletic as well.

Yeah, I don't think anybody doubts the athletic ability present in the Chinese population--it's just that the government is not doing a very good job of identifying it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    There is some debate about his age, which the Chinese have at 19 while some believe he is as much as three years older. He looks 19.

Is it that hard to figure out how old somebody is? When in foreign countries, NBA scouts don't ask questions they just guess by looks?

this happens a lot in "foreign" countries athletics

People get their birth certificate changed by some payola to fit certain categories (playing older kids in youth league tourneys) or appear young for interested clubs.

Fredy Edu (that new pele 18 year old phenom)had a scandal about that and when i travelled to senegal, i was told that their soccer captain el hadji diouf (now in premeir league) said to be 22 was actually more like 29

so yeah it happens

There was a little blurb on nba.com that Yi is a lot like Kevin Garnett

This is the type of hype that the general public hears, and then they have unrealistic expectations of that player. If Yi makes it to the league, he'll be labeled a flop if he doesn't immediately get 20 and 10. The subtle nuances like "reminds me of" and "is he the next one?" are interpretted by most people as "He's gonna be a great player that will make an immediate impact". I don't think that's fair.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The subtle nuances like "reminds me of" and "is he the next one?" are interpretted by most people as "He's gonna be a great player that will make an immediate impact". I don't think that's fair.

"This is the basketball version of "It sounds just like James Brown"[/b]

• HOLY SHIT! RASHEED! THAT SHIT WAS CRAZAY.

The subtle nuances like "reminds me of" and "is he the next one?" are interpretted by most people as "He's gonna be a great player that will make an immediate impact". I don't think that's fair.

"This is the basketball version of "It sounds just like James Brown"[/b]

You can probably say that.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    HOLY SHIT! RASHEED! THAT SHIT WAS CRAZAY.

what was it

did you guys catch rasheed hitting two threes at the same time (one from each hand) in practice

no youtube

• Pistons down by 3 w/ 1.6 seconds left and DENVER is inbounding on their end of the floor. Game's over, right? Sheed steals the ball and about a 2/3 court shot banks in to send it to OT. Bananas!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

i have yet to see it, stupid exams.. im scouring the internet for clips.

Ouch, what a heart-breaker for the Nuggets. That really really sucks. I was watching sports century on Allen Iverson on youtube last night, and man, that dude's been through a lot.

SAS vs GSW

126 89

wow. didn't see the game, but wow.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    "Wallace tried to claim that he called the bank shot, but was drowned out by the jeers of his teammates."

"OK, I'm lying about that," he said with a laugh. "But I'll take it either way."

• _JULIUS__JULIUS_ 76 Posts
    SAS vs GSW

126 89

wow. didn't see the game, but wow.

One week ago, Houston beat Philadelphia 124-74, which was even worse.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    "Wallace tried to claim that he called the bank shot, but was drowned out by the jeers of his teammates."

"OK, I'm lying about that," he said with a laugh. "But I'll take it either way."

SON OF A BITCH

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    hilarious.

i loves sheeds reaction. just smiles.

no reason the pistons shoulda won that game... but ill take it.

I was standing up walikng out of the restaurant with the 1.6 to go all happy and shit when I hear a big "Ohhhhh!" from the 4 or 5 other people in the restaurant watching the game, I look up and see Detroit fans rejoicing on screen and a tied score. FUCK! No way. We couldn't close 'em out in OT, too tired. We had just beat Cleveland the night before, this would have been the icing on the cake to save what has turned out to be a shitty ass road trip.

I hope we don't lose the 7th seed. Clippers need to lose some games.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007
    Van Gundy doesn't like that lottery rewards losing[/b]
    ESPN.com news services

The Dallas Mavericks with the No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA draft? If Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy had his way, that could happen.

Van Gundy wants to open up the NBA draft lottery to all 30 NBA teams in an effort to keep teams from losing intentionally to hopefully secure the No. 1 pick.

"I think every team should have an equal chance at winning the lottery, from the best team all the way down," Van Gundy told The Houston Chronicle. "I don't want to accuse anyone of anything. I would say to take away any possible conflict of interest, everyone should have an equal chance at the top pick all the way down. That way there would be absolutely no question by anybody about anything.

"If it's better for the game, they should do it. I never quite understood why losing is rewarded, other than [for] parity."

According to The Chronicle, Van Gundy presented his proposal to the NBA, but wasn't taken seriously.

- - -

Thoughts?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i like watching the stands to see different player's/people's reactions in situations like this. it always kills me when some team hits a crazy last second shot and the camera pans to the bench and there are a few dudes who look like they could care less.

What i like about this play is that there were literally people who were walking up the aisles(seemingly trying to get a head start on traffic...i've done the same thing) as Sheed took the shot.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    are we talkin about the knicks?

• are we talkin about the knicks?

Naw, the Celtics are this year's culprits.

JVG is on to something. The Spurs got 3 rings behind this type of shit.

it always kills me when some team hits a crazy last second shot and the camera pans to the bench and there are a few dudes who look like they could care less.

Agreed. It's also bogus when women in court-side seats be chatting up with their friend, obviously without any interest in the game. It's probably just LA, but here it's more like "just another celebrity event for the rich and/or famous". WACK. You go to other cities and people in the front are really into their games and standing up and shit. I wish it was like that in LA.

Yeah I think it's like that a little bit in most cities, yuichi. I always see some schmuck who could care less about basketball ignoring most of the game in $150 seats. I hate that. I would be there eyes glued for the whole game but all I can afford are nosebleeds.

nosebleeds

The first time I went to Staples Center, I was so amped. I need to go back.
    Kobe dropped 40 something that night just back from suspension. It was just like TV, but only you could see the shots raining down into the hoop from the nosebleeds. It was great.

This is a great topic.

I saw a practice session when the Allstar game was held in LA in 2004. I saw all the stars, doing dunk drills, half-court shots, whatever. I was like a 10 year old kid in there "o shit, isn't that T-Mac?!", "Dirk!". Everybody was chanting "Kobe Kobe", and you know I was. But the most amazing thing was Shaq and Yao. I mean, Shaq was like the biggest mawfugga on the court. I mean, HUGE. And Yao was making T-Mac look like a midget. Definitely some Gulliver's travel shit. I thought his head was gonna touch the ceiling.

Does anybody else wanna share their live game experiences and NBA-related stories?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i was at the palace brawl.

i was at the palace brawl.

and

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    yea.. it definitly was not fun.

but back on the subject, ive had a few rare opportunites to sit in sick seats at the palace the year dp won the championship.

there is definilty alot of spirit in that house from the nosebleeds to the floor.