The "N" Word--and by that I mean Nigga

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Man, are you trying to compare the 2 or making a joke?

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    Man, are you trying to compare the 2 or making a joke?

dude day, have you been to the burbs man, its where i grew up and that shit is no joke, for example one of my friends had to buy their own car, their parents would not help them, i mean the shit is hard living sometimes

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    whoa, I had no idea! I'll bow out of this now... thanks for setting me straight bro!

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    whoa, I had no idea! I'll bow out of this now... thanks for setting me straight bro!

yeah and from what i hear canadian burbs are even more real than those in the US, hans will tell you yo

i think at one point he didn't have money to rent french movies, fuck life is hard

• whoa, I had no idea! I'll bow out of this now... thanks for setting me straight bro!

yeah and from what i hear canadian burbs are even more real than those in the US, hans will tell you yo

i think at one point he didn't have money to rent french movies, fuck life is hard

There's just a nuance in statements that I make that is lost on you, isn't there 3rdstream?

This is not a joke. This is certainly not a comparison and I'm not going, oh my life was so hard. I was commenting on a tendency to invalidate one stereotype by invoking another.

Your reaction is like a Palestinian refugee in a tent saying, "Fuck you n----- in the ghetto. What do you have to complain about?"

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Your reaction is like a Palestinian refugee in a tent saying, "Fuck you n----- in the ghetto. What do you have to complain about?"

hmm....not quite.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    5 more pages coming up....

• Your reaction is like a Palestinian refugee in a tent saying, "Fuck you n----- in the ghetto. What do you have to complain about?"

hmm....not quite.

Okay. Back that shit up, day.

You and 3rdstream are just these guys that sit back and laugh and call people names with the assumption that you know everything.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. I'm willing to be made the fool. I'm an internet alias, for Christ's sake. But let's see you do it with a thoughtful argument.

Didn't think so.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    1st let's establish what your side is.

Are you saying that white people in the suburbs have it as bad as Black folks?

If that is what you're saying then you are out of your mind.

Btw, I didn't call you any names so what are you talking about?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Something else that I think is stupid is how these suburban White kids are trying to be gangstas now. There is no reward in doing that, in fact, they are throwing away the very advantages that will aid their success in life.

Much respect to you Big Stacks for your wisdom and perspective, but plaese to not idealize white suburbs (having grown up in one).

Yo Han Lucas,

Sure there are issues in the suburbs, but they do not relate to economic disadvantage, racial inequities, undereducation, or lack of opportunity relative to the experience of Blacks. If you wanna talk about Appalachia and the plight of Whites there (who encounter social conditions very similar to those of the average Black person), then we can have a meaningful conversation. Otherwise, I think your point is moot relative to the larger issue I've been discussing.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Something else that I think is stupid is how these suburban White kids are trying to be gangstas now. There is no reward in doing that, in fact, they are throwing away the very advantages that will aid their success in life.

Much respect to you Big Stacks for your wisdom and perspective, but plaese to not idealize white suburbs (having grown up in one).

Yo Han Lucas,

Sure there are issues in the suburbs, but they do not relate to economic disadvantage, racial iniquities, undereducation, or lack of opportunity relative to the experience of Blacks. If you wanna talk about Appalachia and the plight of Whites there (who encounter social conditions very similar to those of the average Black person), then we can have a meaningful conversation. Otherwise, I think your point is moot relative to the larger issue I've been discussing.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That about sums it up right there.

I don't feel like I need to or should be commenting in this thread.

I have no beef with you Hans, I just didn't see where you were coming from.

• 1st let's establish what your side is.

Are you saying that white people in the suburbs have it as bad as Black folks?

If that is what you're saying though you're out of your mind.

Did you read my post dude? Let me pull out the relevant section.

This is not a joke. This is certainly not a comparison and I'm not going, oh my life was so hard. I was commenting on a tendency to invalidate one stereotype by invoking another.

And if I accused you in error of calling people names, I apologize. Maybe I should have said something about smiley faces.

• for every white kid growing up in the suburbs..posing like a thug,there is a white kid growing up in the hood/rough part of town and is thugged the fuck out(ok,maybe the ratio isnt 1:1). I am just saying..I always hear people clowning suburbanite thugs(and its easy and can be fun to do)..but there is LOTS of white dudes/chicks that are just following the footsteps of their parents/older brother/friends/surroundings and have adopted this kind of lifestyle. Of course enviroment plays the biggest role in this. I am not saying its right/wrong/cool/stupid, I just think that it should be noted that not every white "thug" drives a brand new Honda home everynight to sit at the dinner table with June and Ward Cleaver in Suburbanville,USA.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Yo Han Lucas,

Sure there are issues in the suburbs, but they do not relate to economic disadvantage, racial iniquities, undereducation, or lack of opportunity relative to the experience of Blacks. If you wanna talk about Appalachia and the plight of Whites there (who encounter social conditions very similar to those of the average Black person), then we can have a meaningful conversation. Otherwise, I think your point is moot relative to the larger issue I've been discussing.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks and Hans--There's a balance and kind of a similarity--see if you can follow me. If I understand a couple of things, children of the ghetto are underexposed because of too little money, too little education, and being "swept under the carpet" by a large and foreboding system. This is a simplification of course, but just stay with me...Ghetto kids, in turn, internalize the negative shit that poor economic conditions breed. Thus, we have a culture of money affecting how children are raised.

On the flip-side: Children of the "too much money and too little work" ethic whom have been underexposed to other cultures are experiencing some real psychotic shit too. OxyContin in the cupboard, latchkey experience because Momma is bonin' the pool boy and Dad's runnin away to Thailand. Meanwhile, 50 is blazin in hte background and MTV is slowly melting away their mind... This is an EXTREME example of course, but it does point that in both cases there is a real void of moral gudiance that is VERY much influenced by socioeconomic conditions/MONEY!

The shit that really seperates the two, in my opinion, is that African-Americans, whom comprise a large part of the lower economic rung, didn't choose to be here. "Plymouth rock landed on them..." Many whites came here on their own volition. That aspect of "choice" does not excuse shit but it sure does explain it...

But, in some ways, that's just the chickens coming home to roost: if you done fucked a whole lot of people, it's gonna come back in the end--whether it be in the last generation or the current.

My motivation to work this "nigga" issue out and beyond might have been inspired by white guilt a while ago, but now I've figured out that I just like fixing shit and hence my desire to work in education. I just see Hip Hop as an extension of education and therefore have a deep seeded love for it.

gNat

• Yo Han Lucas,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I appreciate you taking a more mature approach in response (than some others). I can understand where you are coming from, but life in the suburbs does relate to what you are talking about.

Here's how from my experience. You are indoctrinated by political, social and religious systems that are conducive to a certain world view. Racism is not tolerated, but it doesn't matter, because you don't see any other races (it's different today, probably, but I'm talking the 70s). The capitalist nuclear family is the prevailing social order. You go to church every Sunday and are taught to respect God, country and the patriarchy.

Many of us read a book, listen to a record, meet a black person and begin to question these values. Many others buy into it, become cops, or hardware salemen and raise families. They use their advantages to perpetuate the whole structure.

So I'm not saying life is tough in the white suburbs compared to the black ghetto, but I'm not sure the advantages and success of life there is something that should be valued. Or idealized.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Yo Han Lucas,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks and Hans--There's a balance and kind of a similarity-- see if you can follow me[/b] . If I understand a couple of things, children of the ghetto are underexposed because of too little money, too little education, and being "swept under the carpet" by a large and foreboding system. This is a simplification of course, but just stay with me[/b] ...Ghetto kids, in turn, internalize the negative shit that poor economic conditions breed. Thus, we have a culture of money affecting how children are raised.

On the flip-side: Children of the "too much money and too little work" ethic whom have been underexposed to other cultures are experiencing some real psychotic shit too. OxyContin in the cupboard, latchkey experience because Momma is bonin' the pool boy and Dad's runnin away to Thailand. Meanwhile, 50 is blazin in hte background and MTV is slowly melting away their mind... This is an EXTREME example of course, but it does point that in both cases there is a real void of moral gudiance that is VERY much influenced by socioeconomic conditions/MONEY!

The shit that really seperates the two, in my opinion, is that African-Americans, whom comprise a large part of the lower economic rung, didn't choose to be here. "Plymouth rock landed on them..." Many whites came here on their own volition. That aspect of "choice" does not excuse shit but it sure does explain it...

But, in some ways, that's just the chickens coming home to roost: if you done fucked a whole lot of people, it's gonna come back in the end--whether it be in the last generation or the current.

My motivation to work this "nigga" issue out and beyond might have been inspired by white guilt a while ago, but now I've figured out that I just like fixing shit and hence my desire to work in education. I just see Hip Hop as an extension of education and therefore have a deep seeded love for it.

gNat

Yo Stacks and Hans - is Gnat speaking slowly enough for y'all?

This is why I hated American Beauty.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

Yo Han Lucas,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks and Hans--There's a balance and kind of a similarity--see if you can follow me. If I understand a couple of things, children of the ghetto are underexposed because of too little money, too little education, and being "swept under the carpet" by a large and foreboding system. This is a simplification of course, but just stay with me...Ghetto kids, in turn, internalize the negative shit that poor economic conditions breed. Thus, we have a culture of money affecting how children are raised.

gNat

i just threw up in my mouth

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

i just threw up in my mouth

do you cater?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Man, I'm not talking slow for you--I'm talking slow for me. The "see if you can follow me" is because I have made so many crazy turns with this post that it just doesn't make too much sense sometimes...I did not intend on being condescending at all...if anything I was slowing my mind down so I could say what I was trying to say...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I have made so many crazy turns with this post that it just doesn't make too much sense sometimes...

• This is why I hated American Beauty.

I HATED THAT MOVIE TOO! It took me daaayyyys to finish it, becuase everybody everybody kept saying it was so good. and when i finally got to the end i was like "thats it?" that movie fucking SUCKS!!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't understand why white people so badly want to use this word.

There are countless more appropriate words that can be used in its place.
    For example?

Friend? If you don't know someone's name maybe you could try "sir".

I did expect to see people defend their use of the word. I am glad to see that even the original poster are in agreement that Whites should never use it.

I cosign most posts Big Stacks for sure.

Dan

• This is why I hated American Beauty.

I HATED THAT MOVIE TOO! It took me daaayyyys to finish it, becuase everybody everybody kept saying it was so good. and when i finally got to the end i was like "thats it?" that movie fucking SUCKS!!!!

Co-sign.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Co-sign.

Co-sign.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

hmm....not quite.
    A male Palestinian refugee has a higher average life expectancy than a Black male (according to the CDC & UNICEF).

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Co-sign.

Co-sign.

co-sign

• fuck that. how about American Movie. thats what im talking bout,willis!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    fuck that. how about American Movie. thats what im talking bout,willis!

"D-Did, did you just swear?"

One of my favortie movies of the last 5 years.

• no doubt. fucking classic. horror movie and all.

• Your reaction is like a Palestinian refugee in a tent saying, "Fuck you n----- in the ghetto. What do you have to complain about?"

hmm....not quite.
    A male Palestinian refugee has a higher average life expectancy than a Black male (according to the CDC & UNICEF).

Yeah, but no Playstation probably.