The "N" Word--and by that I mean Nigga

Comments

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    As a 27 y/o consciously self confessed honkey (cocky white guilt , maybe, but do I give a shit, hell no because after all, y'all would take advantage if it meant the difference of getting a speeding ticket or not) that loves hip hop (I love the word honkey by the way and if you see me on the street--call me it with GUSTO, cuz I'm bringing that shit up), I have worked through my "N" word issues ( cause after all, I have black friends ). But I'm fucking curious to hear about others and their escapades with this word whether you're black purple or what ever the fuck...I realize that this is a charged word/concept and implies racial subjection of black folks back in the day and even currently by some backwards-ass fucks...BUTT Mind you I am not making light of that at all...but then again "my lips is like a doo wop as I start to spray it, sucka nigga, Nigga Nigga...." And yeah, I realize you PC fools out there are going to say some BS like he's just a wigger and this that and the other--and you know what--FUCK YOU if you take this post so seriously that you need to talk to your Mom or your therapist about this...so, RSVP if you wanna come correct...

Can someone actually explain the point of this, if anything? I don't even get what dude is getting at.

• I don't understand why white people so badly want to use this word.

Because they want to be down with the brothers.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    and nothing gets my rolling my eyes (LIKE RU PAUL[/b]) when people try and come off on some "Ohh...you don't know, we're just taking the word back and making it ours, we're bucking the system!" Please...stop, you folks ain't changing or fighting nothing...

AYE YO!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    As a 27 y/o consciously self confessed honkey (cocky white guilt , maybe, but do I give a shit, hell no because after all, y'all would take advantage if it meant the difference of getting a speeding ticket or not) that loves hip hop (I love the word honkey by the way and if you see me on the street--call me it with GUSTO, cuz I'm bringing that shit up), I have worked through my "N" word issues ( cause after all, I have black friends ). But I'm fucking curious to hear about others and their escapades with this word whether you're black purple or what ever the fuck...I realize that this is a charged word/concept and implies racial subjection of black folks back in the day and even currently by some backwards-ass fucks...BUTT Mind you I am not making light of that at all...but then again "my lips is like a doo wop as I start to spray it, sucka nigga, Nigga Nigga...." And yeah, I realize you PC fools out there are going to say some BS like he's just a wigger and this that and the other--and you know what--FUCK YOU if you take this post so seriously that you need to talk to your Mom or your therapist about this...so, RSVP if you wanna come correct...

Can someone actually explain the point of this, if anything? I don't even get what dude is getting at.

cosign, I wish I'd just left it at that. this post is so convoluded with after thoughts, mid-thoughts and disclaimers that i think even if dude had a point, he done lost it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I don't understand why white people so badly want to use this word.

and thur a little bit guilty, bored with thur lives and want to piss off their parents.

and nothing gets my rolling my eyes (LIKE RU PAUL[/b]) when people try and come off on some "Ohh...you don't know, we're just taking the word back and making it ours, we're bucking the system!" Please...stop, you folks ain't changing or fighting nothing...

AYE YO!

Faux debuts the new style of ay yo-ing, that of the scurvy sailor:

Aye Aye Captain!

• I don't understand why white people so badly want to use this word.

and thur a little bit guilty, bored with thur lives and want to piss off their parents.

You make me feel like I'm 21 all over again

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    (cocky white guilt , maybe, but do I give a shit, hell no because after all, y'all would take advantage if it meant the difference of getting a speeding ticket or not)

You are bucking the system man! Don't ever stop taking advantage of your privileges - that's what makes this world so great.

that loves hip hop

Oh Shit! Then it's all OK.

(cocky white guilt , maybe, but do I give a shit, hell no because after all, y'all would take advantage if it meant the difference of getting a speeding ticket or not)

You are bucking the system man! Don't ever stop taking advantage of your privileges - that's what makes this world so great.

that loves hip hop

Oh Shit! Then it's all OK.

I always love this--people who think they're doing their part to erase racial inequality solely by listening to the right music.

Yo, your act of purchasing that new 50 moved us all a step closer to multiracial utopia--give yourself a pat on the back!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why does this thread exist

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    why does this thread exist

Because of ignorance.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

What really confuses me is why White guys want to be down with the brothers? I mean think about it, Black folks are absolutely at the bottom rung of the socioeconomic ladder. We have the highest mortality rates, undereducation, and underemployment in the U.S., and must suffer through varying degrees of poverty, discrimination, and indignity DAILY. Your typical White person, on the other hand, has advantages that the average Black could only dream of (myself being a notable exception) such as (1) higher average socioeconomic status, (2) lower mortality rates, (3) residence in high-priced, high amenity, low crime residential areas (ever heard of housing discrimination?), (4) higher access to quality education (in high-priced suburban districts poorly accessible to Blacks and Hispanics), (5) higher representation in high status occupations, and so on. With that said, if I was a White guy, I'd be the whitest White guy in the world and take FULL ADVANTAGE of the privileges that being White in America affords. So-called acting Black, engaging in token gestures to show solidarity with us does nothing to erase the reprehensible inequity that divides the races on a daily basis, and perpetuates social stratification by race (and class) and White privilege. These guys wanna be Black until they can return to their suburban enclave by nightfall. The "Black experience" for many Black folks has way more fucked up elements than the average White guy would ever want to deal with.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Because it's "dangerous", "shocking", and "cool".

Good post, homie.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Good post, homie.

It's...uh, stupid, condescending, and naive!!! I wonder how many of these idiots REALLY know the plight of Black folks in this country.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

What really confuses me is why White guys want to be down with the brothers? I mean think about, Black folks are absolutely at the bottom rung of the socioeconomic ladder. We have the highest mortality rates, undereducation, and underemployment in the U.S., and must suffer through varying degrees of poverty, discrimination, and indignity DAILY. Your typical White person, on the other hand, has advantages that the average Black could only dream of (myself being a notable exception) such as (1) higher average socioeconomic status, (2) lower mortality rates, (3) residence in high-priced, high amenity, low crime residential areas (ever heard of housing discrimination?), (4) higher access to quality education (in high-priced suburban districts poorly accessible to Blacks and Hispanics), (5) higher representation in high status occupations), and so on. With that said, if I was a White guy, I'd be the whitest White guy in the world and take FULL ADVANTAGE of the privileges that being White in America affords. So-called acting Black, engaging in token gestures to show solidarity with us does nothing to erase the reprehensible inequity that divides the races on a daily basis, and perpetuates social stratification by race (and class) and White privilege. These guys wanna be Black until they can return to their suburban enclave by nightfall. The "Black experience" for many Black folks has way more fucked up elements than the average White guy would ever want to deal with.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

plus I think most of the white dudes that would fit in this category of "wanting to be down" are too young and ignorant (and bored out of their minds) to even begin to fathom any of what you posted above.

Good post, homie.

It's...uh, stupid, condescending, and naive!!! I wonder how many of these idiots REALLY know the plight of Black folks in this country.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

BIG S:

I was using quotes as in then think it "dangerous", "edgy" etc...

Good post, homie.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

BIG S:

I was using quotes as in then think it "dangerous", "edgy" etc...

Oh, I know, that wasn't directed at you, just in response to the adjectives. I got ya!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

This image of "Gnat" is forever branded on my brain:

I'm affraid I will never be able to take you seriously.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The title to Greg Tate's book comes to mind: Everything But the Burden: What White People Are Taking From Black Culture

• Big Stacks, I've been wondering for a minute how a white person like myself can actually do something concrete to erase the inequalities without coming across as a wannabe-savior head-patter.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Big Stacks, I've been wondering for a minute how a white person like myself can actually do something concrete to erase the inequalities without coming across as a wannabe-savior head-patter.

send me a cashier's check

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

what's the significance [or symbolism] of the q-tips (OR cotton tipped swabs as i am not loyal to any specific brand of the johnson & johnson family)? is this some kind of white man [not that there's anything wrong with white folks cuz i have a white friend] insider joke that i am not privy to (being that i am one of them more inferior races that also is not too comfortable using the n-word ((keep in mind i have black friends)))?

• Big Stacks, I've been wondering for a minute how a white person like myself can actually do something concrete to erase the inequalities without coming across as a wannabe-savior head-patter.

Bounce with me bounce with me.

what's the significance [or symbolism] of the q-tips

I thought it had something to do with the Tribe Called Quest reference...could be wrong though.

• I just want to see what Gnat has to say in response or defense to all of this.

ITS KILLING ME!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA....

I remember getting surrounded by police in the middle of the night in some podunk town in the middle of nowhere texas (long story), they had their lights on me and shit, and I remember thinking "jesus christ, thank GOD I am a white male". I was still nervous about being from california though... And I was like "damn, i'm fucked", but not as fucked as I would be if I was black, or mexican, or whatever. Seriously.

The big question is NOT "why can black people say it but we can't?"

The big question IS "why are you spending so much time worrying about it????"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Hey,

What really confuses me is why White guys want to be down with the brothers? I mean think about it, Black folks are absolutely at the bottom rung of the socioeconomic ladder. We have the highest mortality rates, undereducation, and underemployment in the U.S., and must suffer through varying degrees of poverty, discrimination, and indignity DAILY. Your typical White person, on the other hand, has advantages that the average Black could only dream of (myself being a notable exception) such as (1) higher average socioeconomic status, (2) lower mortality rates, (3) residence in high-priced, high amenity, low crime residential areas (ever heard of housing discrimination?), (4) higher access to quality education (in high-priced suburban districts poorly accessible to Blacks and Hispanics), (5) higher representation in high status occupations, and so on. With that said, if I was a White guy, I'd be the whitest White guy in the world and take FULL ADVANTAGE of the privileges that being White in America affords. So-called acting Black, engaging in token gestures to show solidarity with us does nothing to erase the reprehensible inequity that divides the races on a daily basis, and perpetuates social stratification by race (and class) and White privilege. These guys wanna be Black until they can return to their suburban enclave by nightfall. The "Black experience" for many Black folks has way more fucked up elements than the average White guy would ever want to deal with.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

But..but...I have Black friends! Nawmean?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I always love this--people who think they're doing their part to erase racial inequality solely by listening to the right music.

Or dating interracially.

Zing!

• I always love this--people who think they're doing their part to erase racial inequality solely by listening to the right music.

Or dating interracially.

On the flip side of this is when people think you're racist if you don't like Spike Lee's movies.

Or dating interracially.

On the flip side of this is when people think you're racist if you don't like Spike Lee's movies.

No, it's not the flipside; that perception is actually accurate.