NBA 2005-2006... WHAT IT DO, BATCHES

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    SI.com says that this dude is also doin' his thing this season out west, which is surprising to me-

Anybody out there who's seen a lot of Portland this year? I didn't think dude was ever gonna live up to his rookie hype of being the next KG. Even though he has a lot of natural athletic talent, I can't even imagine him being a legitimately good player. Like Paul Silas said when he was signed to coach Cleveland and peeped Darius' game- "He can't play!"

I've seen 1 or 2 Portland games this year. He looks to be playing better. He still can't shoot however. He's figured out that he has speed and length over a lot of his opponents and has been running on the break and slashing to the basket in the half court. But no, he hasn't reached the hype yet, nor the amounts of time Slam magazine has spent on him in the past.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    SI.com says that this dude is also doin' his thing this season out west, which is surprising to me-

Anybody out there who's seen a lot of Portland this year? I didn't think dude was ever gonna live up to his rookie hype of being the next KG. Even though he has a lot of natural athletic talent, I can't even imagine him being a legitimately good player. Like Paul Silas said when he was signed to coach Cleveland and peeped Darius' game- "He can't play!"

HE IS A TOTAL SCRUB. file him in the same category as Lamar Odom. "Much talked about, but doesn't win shit" category. They're just happy to be on the court making millions, and i wouldn't blame 'em.

• SI.com says that this dude is also doin' his thing this season out west, which is surprising to me-

HE IS A TOTAL SCRUB. file him in the same category as Lamar Odom. "Much talked about, but doesn't win shit" category. They're just happy to be on the court making millions, and i wouldn't blame 'em.

Well, he's averaging 18.2 ppg and 5.6 rpg, which ain't bad for him. But I know numbers don't always tell the real story. Have you actually been seeing the Blazers games this season, or are you basing your assessment of dude on previous seasons of subpar performance?

• miles can actually play ....... sometimes. his numbers look better this year, but they don't tell the whole story. in spite of his talents he can be a pretty unreliable player. there are times when he looks like even more than the prospect scouts thought he'd turn out to be when he was drafted #3 overall (recall opening night this season and last season's 46/10/5/5 monster), but those nights are few and far between. his fundamentals are improving, but he's still a ways away.

he's also in the 4+ turnover club ........ i think he may actually lead the league in turnovers. not sure on that though.

there's talk of the knicks trying to trade for him (and there has been for months) ... which may heat up now that the knicks cut matt barnes (who had been playing well) to clear up a roster spot. i'd have pretty mixed feelings if that goes down. he's got 5 years left on his deal, and between him, stephon, jamal crawford, eddy curry, and quentin richardson the knicks would be like a team made up of every other team's scraps ... players everyone else gave up on.

• there's talk of the knicks trying to trade for him (and there has been for months) ... which may heat up now that the knicks cut matt barnes (who had been playing well) to clear up a roster spot. i'd have pretty mixed feelings if that goes down. he's got 5 years left on his deal, and between him, stephon, jamal crawford, eddy curry, and quentin richardson the knicks would be like a team made up of every other team's scraps ... players everyone else gave up on.

MAN... talk about your dysfunctional families. Well, that would be a whole lot of offensive talent, though. But would they play Larry Brown basketball, which stresses intelligent point guard play, tenacious D and overall just playing "the right way" (the basketball version of "the real schitt")? I think the Knickerbockers experience is gonna drive Brown right into retirement.

Well, he's averaging 18.2 ppg and 5.6 rpg, which ain't bad for him. But I know numbers don't always tell the real story. Have you actually been seeing the Blazers games this season, or are you basing your assessment of dude on previous seasons of subpar performance?

Haven't watched him with the Blazers. My opinion is based on his efforts in Cleveland, which were lacking in any kind of hustle or desire to win. atleast for me, those are qualities that i value more greatly than "talent".

although i'm sure his numbers have gone up. he's not close to players like Mike Bibby or Pau Gasol.

PACIFIC W L
    L.A. Clippers 2 11 5
    Golden State 6 12 6
    Phoenix 7 9 5
    Sacramento 7 9
    L.A. Lakers 6 9

How times have changed huh?

PACIFIC W L
    L.A. Clippers 2 11 5
    Golden State 6 12 6
    Phoenix 7 9 5
    Sacramento 7 9
    L.A. Lakers 6 9

How times have changed huh?

What's even better is that most of the NBA pre-season mags predicted the exact opposite, that the Kings would win the Pacific and the Lakers would end up in 2nd simply because they hired Phil Jackson. Phoenix is actually where they said they would be because Amare is out. Clippers were going to end up last and the Warriors had about a 50-50 chance to make the playoffs.

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1133735110yuichi">

Who's gonna win it all?[/b]
    San Antonio
    Detroit
    Other
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

San Antonio has such a balanced attack. and a deeper bench.

Detroit is again the powerhouse of the East.

Are there seriously other legitimate contenders in the NBA besides these two teams?

• Miles has developed a much better game scoring from the low block this year (he had a dunk on Steven Hunter a few nights ago that was ). His shooting, while not yet consistent, is better. He has always been explosive on the break and with S. Telfair running the ball I think we may have yet to see the best from Darius.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Are there seriously other legitimate contenders in the NBA besides these two teams?

Miami & Indiana

• Was it me or did the TV announcer say at the end of the Spurs-Mavs game that Dallas had just lost 3 of 4 games? That's not a good sign of all this improvement you're talking about.

Tis true. What was I thinking? Didja see how the Spurs just blew the Mavs out last night?? Y're right, Mavs are horrible.

Holla at me at the end of the year and we'll see what up. No Stack, No Howard, No Christie. This team we'll be fine until they lose to the Spurs in the playoffs. Still think it's the second-best team in the West.

I thought last night was a tough game between two good teams. Way to go on the 82 Georgetown pass, KVH. Dirk is slumping right now. Props Spurs.

OK,

1) I never said the Mavs were horrible. I said they were a very good playoff team, but they weren't convincing in the end because they're defense isn't good enough. They've got some guys who can guard out on the wings, but nothing in the middle. Damp could clog up the lanes, but he's always up and down. I think you must be referring to someone else.

2) You're talking about all the improvement and they lost 3 of 4 games, and 2 straight. They had the lead in the Spurs game and blew it at the very end of the game.

3) Christie wasn't going to really change that team that much. Stack is a good offensive player, but they already have plenty of that. He'd definitely be better than subbing in Van Horn however.

You make some good points. I do agree that Damps is, most of the time, worthless (he has flashes). Diop is really coming on though. That was a great signing. My hope is the team makes some good strides this year and positions itself, with its young talent, to be a serious contender next year.

Was it me or did the TV announcer say at the end of the Spurs-Mavs game that Dallas had just lost 3 of 4 games? That's not a good sign of all this improvement you're talking about.

Tis true. What was I thinking? Didja see how the Spurs just blew the Mavs out last night?? Y're right, Mavs are horrible.

Holla at me at the end of the year and we'll see what up. No Stack, No Howard, No Christie. This team we'll be fine until they lose to the Spurs in the playoffs. Still think it's the second-best team in the West.

I thought last night was a tough game between two good teams. Way to go on the 82 Georgetown pass, KVH. Dirk is slumping right now. Props Spurs.

OK,

1) I never said the Mavs were horrible. I said they were a very good playoff team, but they weren't convincing in the end because they're defense isn't good enough. They've got some guys who can guard out on the wings, but nothing in the middle. Damp could clog up the lanes, but he's always up and down. I think you must be referring to someone else.

2) You're talking about all the improvement and they lost 3 of 4 games, and 2 straight. They had the lead in the Spurs game and blew it at the very end of the game.

3) Christie wasn't going to really change that team that much. Stack is a good offensive player, but they already have plenty of that. He'd definitely be better than subbing in Van Horn however.

You make some good points. I do agree that Damps is, most of the time, worthless (he has flashes). Diop is really coming on though. That was a great signing. My hope is the team makes some good strides this year and positions itself, with its young talent, to be a serious contender next year.

See, that's what I think is the problem with Dallas. They've been one of the top teams in the playoffs every year, but I've NEVER considered them capable of even winning the Western Conference, let alone go to the finals. Don Nelson never cared about defense and just tried to outscore the opponent. On that tip, Phoenix is better with Amare. Johnson is trying to get them to play some defense, and its improved, but like I said, they've got a donut in the middle. Until they fix that problem, they'll be a very good, but not great b-ball team in my book.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    clippers foll

damn right.
    we're in first right now and we dont even have livingston back.
    cassell's going STRONG.
    elton is stronger.
    maggette is a buff mofo, and all-around dependable player (he made up for his poor fg% last night by raining down 10 ft's)
    kaman is ugly but gets the job done. don't come in the hole against the clips.
    our bench is solid too.

the most telling is our defense though. i think we're first in the league when it comes to our opponents fg%.

here we come playoffs and i don't want to see any batches in la come to ride dick now that we're good. i need your hate. f---- don sterling too.

oh, anybody see the halftime show last night?! little fat ugly asian dude made a half court shot BACKWARDS! to win a car.

clippers foll

oh, anybody see the halftime show last night?! little fat ugly asian dude made a half court shot BACKWARDS! to win a car.

DUDE, shut the F*** up that's my brother!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    oh, anybody see the halftime show last night?! handsome young asian dude made a half court shot BACKWARDS! to win a car.

indeed.
    if you're serious... i'm sorry. hope there's no hard feelings. but your brother is king for making that shot. that was fucking incredible! the crowd was going bonkers like frat boys at a usc football game. and congrats on the new dodge charger.

(first i diss sam ronson for not taking my 'stay fly' recommendation, and mark speaks up. now this. alright, i've learned my lesson. imma definitely watch what i say from now on. you never know who's strutting)

oh, anybody see the halftime show last night?! handsome young asian dude made a half court shot BACKWARDS! to win a car.

indeed.
    if you're serious... i'm sorry. hope there's no hard feelings. but your brother is king for making that shot. that was fucking incredible! the crowd was going bonkers like frat boys at a usc football game. and congrats on the new dodge charger.

(first i diss sam ronson for not taking my 'stay fly' recommendation, and mark speaks up. now this. alright, i've learned my lesson. imma definitely watch what i say from now on. you never know who's strutting)

gotcha!

• i saw that. there's no way the knicks could possibly get that done. i guess it would have to include austin croshere (they've been trying to pawn off that contract for years .. basically since he signed it), but even at that getting cap space in return (antonio davis, penny hardaway) isn't nearly enough for a top-25 talent like artest. and none of our young guys are good enough to balance that trade out.

i would be amazed if artest comes to ny. bird and isiah hate each other - larry's not going to give him to one of his rivals for pennies on the dollar just because he wants out. but he's such an impact player that it would probably instantly make us one of the top 5 teams in the east though.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    What a fool that guy. A hot headed defensive dirty work type guy. He reminds me of Rodman. But rodman was way humbler in terms of basketball decision (his position) in the team. Never got paid what he deserved but sticked in good situations. Artest wants to be traded. Remeber his 'rap album' the guy acts like a child

• yeah, he doesn't know how to handle himself at all, but he's easily one of the most dominant swingmen in the game right now.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Yeah, he draws attention and scores and draws fouls.
    But on the flip shuts down players and gets in there head ( in defense)

But acting like that will land him in a bad situation on a team like the hawks or some shit.

He should be aimming for a championship instead of looking for the'right place for me'

Attitude in the nba has disgusted me for awhile. I still feel rasheed was lucky to get the ring with the pistons. his attitude in portland was dispicable.

If this becomes a T.O. situation, I can live without him. Addition by subtraction.
    This cannot be tolerated.
    Rodman already had 2 rings and Jordan was clearly the dominant personality.It seems Artest thinks he more important than O'Neal. At times Artest has shown that he can be the engine, but having a consistant low post threat is what I'd prefer to build around.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    So did Phil Jackson seriously go on his Sirius radio show and call Kwame Brown a pussy? Damn, PJ, tell 'em why you mad!

Teams that might trade for Artest

I'll take Channing Frye off of New York's hands.

• Stan Vun Gundy Resigns

I feel for this dude. Cant help but this he was pressured by management. Not sure how many other coaches would be able to blend antoine walker, payton, williams without lookin like borsche vomit.

Though I did love Pat Riley Knicks era.

• Teams that might trade for Artest

Marbury in a Pacer uniform?

Stan Vun Gundy Resigns

I feel for this dude. Cant help but this he was pressured by management. Not sure how many other coaches would be able to blend antoine walker, payton, williams without lookin like borsche vomit.

Though I did love Pat Riley Knicks era.

Wow, didn't see that one coming. I thought the first coach out this season would be Adelman who got screwed by management by giving him a bunch of players that don't fit Sac's system. He doesn't seem to be changing the system either to fit the new players hence they look like the King's of old when they had Mitch Richmond and no one else.

There were earlier pre-season reports however that Pat Riley wanted to step back into the coaching job, so perhaps he was pressued to leave.

On the other surprise fronts. I thought the Suns would hover just above .500 for the most of the season until Amare came back, but they just went on a 9 game winning streak before losing to the Clippers, the other big surprise of the season. The Clips are dangerous because all of their starting 5 came score 20 points. You can't give any help defense with that unit because the guy you leave can fill it up.

And what's up with the Eastern Conference in general this season? Only one division has winning records, the others are all sub-.500 almost.

Stan Vun Gundy Resigns

This has been in the works for a minute. This is Miami's window of opportunity right now. Remember they were only an injury away from makin the Finals. Detroit had no answer for Wade. With a "healthy" Shaq, Zo, Wade, Walker,and Payton these cats on paper are built for now. Riley would give them that mental edge. His X and O's are .

Teams that might trade for Artest

Marbury in a Pacer uniform?

Hell no, And we dont want his contract.